Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Hmmm maybe we should not be friends with the loving Saudis....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Man, we just got done with Iraq and now we're going to have to invade again as retaliation for this.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Man, we just got done with Iraq and now we're going to have to invade again as retaliation for this.

Who do we blame this time for the actions of a Saudi?
Ukraine?

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Is bupers online hosed? I've been trying to put in a parfq all day. Even the parfq thing in the portal can't find bol.

TidePods4Lunch
Apr 24, 2005
You can't kill me, I'm made out of invincible!

vulturesrow posted:

I've been wondering for a while when this was going to happen.

And as a former instructor I can say that Saudi students were by and large a complete waste of space. And I truly hate to generalize like that but I guarantee you any instructor would tell you the same.

I have a Saudi onwing right now who is better than many American students I’ve had. In fact, as much as I hate to deal with their language barrier, the ones I’ve flown with at Whiting have been by and large better than average, very respectful, and down to earth (I always jokingly ask if they are Princes and every one has come back adamantly that they aren’t).

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

TidePods4Lunch posted:

I have a Saudi onwing right now who is better than many American students I’ve had. In fact, as much as I hate to deal with their language barrier, the ones I’ve flown with at Whiting have been by and large better than average, very respectful, and down to earth (I always jokingly ask if they are Princes and every one has come back adamantly that they aren’t).

That's good to hear. I was an NFO instructor at VT-86 and I generally did not have good experiences with Saudi students and I was not alone in that. There were a few outliers of course. The German and Singaporean students were much better in general.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Laranzu posted:

Is bupers online hosed? I've been trying to put in a parfq all day. Even the parfq thing in the portal can't find bol.

:same: good thing we went paperless and then everything we do still had people saying have a hard copy

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

vulturesrow posted:

I've been wondering for a while when this was going to happen.

And as a former instructor I can say that Saudi students were by and large a complete waste of space. And I truly hate to generalize like that but I guarantee you any instructor would tell you the same.

As 2Lt controllers-in-training we could see that they were not the most motivated students.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Yo crab dad the tech bubble thread in yospos is discussing just how many crabs a man could actually eat.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

TidePods4Lunch posted:

Lots of Saudis in my undergrad program, and they are almost all exceptional students and a few of them that I knew personally were super cool heavy weedheads

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
The Saudis I've taught have been, amazingly, both good and bad students, almost as if their nationality doesn't matter, and they're individual people.

Crazy I know.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

PneumonicBook posted:

The Saudis I've taught have been, amazingly, both good and bad students, almost as if their nationality doesn't matter, and they're individual people.

Crazy I know.

lol yeah

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yo crab dad the tech bubble thread in yospos is discussing just how many crabs a man could actually eat.

I could probably do a dozen blue crabs in one sitting np, but I grew up in the eastern shore of MD which makes me a man with a very particular set of skills

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

No link? Jeez.

When I was out East the only thing limiting me on blue crabs was time taken to shell the stupid little things. The biggest blue crab is smaller than the west coast minimum size.

Took me like 3 hours to eat these dumb guys.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

PneumonicBook posted:

Crazy I know.

We don't do that here. Every group is a monolithic block for judgment purposes.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

LingcodKilla posted:

No link? Jeez.

When I was out East the only thing limiting me on blue crabs was time taken to shell the stupid little things. The biggest blue crab is smaller than the west coast minimum size.

Here you go.

Mr. Nice! posted:

we have a resident crabdad in gip

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl

LingcodKilla posted:

No link? Jeez.

Makin me miss the seafood joint we always went to in Chesapeake. Amazing crab dip, crab cakes, and really every dish I had there.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

LingcodKilla posted:

No link? Jeez.

Oh gently caress, now I'm hungry.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Oh gently caress, now I'm hungry.

Come out west. Our crabs are meatier.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
From a secondhand connection it looks like the PCola shooting was not terrorism related. Gotta live waking up and thinking "well, wonder if any of my friends are dead this time"

Also, because we live in the future, if you click on Reddit's "trending" Pensacola topic result #3 is some poor fucker trying to fulfill his hotwife fantasy amid this chaos

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

LingcodKilla posted:

That looks like a Midwestern salad???

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Not enough shredded cheddar and ham cubes, and too much lettuce.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Goodpancakes posted:

That looks like a Midwestern salad???

It’s a wasabi-ranch that doubles as the light dip for the cakes and plain crab meat.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

LingcodKilla posted:

It’s a wasabi-ranch that doubles as the light dip for the cakes and plain crab meat.

Go share crap pics in that thread, please. It will be appreciated. I want to post some of your old ones but i don’t have crab graveyard pictures handy.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

:chiefsay: Change Echo of the eval manual released yesterday

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

LingcodKilla posted:

Best part of Whidbey is being able to go out and drop pots when areas close by are open!

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Last PRT in the books, FTN

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
I'm about to email the reserve recruiter and tell him "No thanks." I'm happy with my active service and DD214. Don't want to open another can of worms by joining the reserves.

I asked myself "What do you want?" in the long run with the Reserves and I couldn't come up with a good answer. To me Reservists exist to be mobilized for stop gap/unwanted billets. I don't want to do a mob just for the sake of doing one.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

PneumonicBook posted:

Crazy I know.

I advocate treating individuals as an individual. But that doesn't mean you can't make useful observations about different cultural groups. I work with manufacturers and material suppliers from all over the world on a weekly and daily basis and I'd be a lot less effective at my job if I didn't take cultural differences into account.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Howard Phillips posted:

I asked myself "What do you want?" in the long run with the Reserves and I couldn't come up with a good answer. To me Reservists exist to be mobilized for stop gap/unwanted billets. I don't want to do a mob just for the sake of doing one.

For someone who has active duty experience the reasons to affiliate are really only cheap insurance or you like your rate/designator or sense of shared misery.

Vote Bernie 2020 to take away the first reason

Edit: And have some Navy stuff
https://twitter.com/MichaelStahlke/status/1203718366575218688?s=19

Nick Soapdish fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 8, 2019

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Anyone that identifies themself as "<Rank> ret." is just bound to be a tool

TidePods4Lunch
Apr 24, 2005
You can't kill me, I'm made out of invincible!
https://www.facebook.com/hiilaniwai.aiu/videos/1314582175388215/?d=n

Pretty jaw dropping video of the support/respect paid by NAS Pensacola and the surrounding bases yesterday.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Nick Soapdish posted:

For someone who has active duty experience the reasons to affiliate are really only cheap insurance or you like your rate/designator or sense of shared misery.

Recruiter rogered out to my withdrawal. As a prior e to SWO Navy veteran, I don't have one more deployment in me. My love for the service is what got me interesting in joining the reserves after being out two and a half years, but I realized that it was more nostalgia than a real desire to serve. I don't want to commit to it half rear end just for a check in the box. Also my political and historical perspective on use of military force and national security has changed significantly since getting out. Finally, the healthcare benefits are moot because I'm starting a government job soon. If you're a reservist govvie, you are not eligible for reserve tricare.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

TidePods4Lunch posted:

https://www.facebook.com/hiilaniwai.aiu/videos/1314582175388215/?d=n

Pretty jaw dropping video of the support/respect paid by NAS Pensacola and the surrounding bases yesterday.

Powerful tribute. All three victims were so young, full of life, and a desire to serve. :911:

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Howard Phillips posted:

If you're a reservist govvie, you are not eligible for reserve tricare.

Yea. Things I wish I would have known.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

This guy is in harbour at the moment

It's no exaggeration to say it could wreck our entire navy and probably our whole military

Two questions

What's the hole for - towed sonar?

And what's this installation on top of the bridge? Some sort of launcher?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

This guy is in harbour at the moment

It's no exaggeration to say it could wreck our entire navy and probably our whole military

Two questions

What's the hole for - towed sonar?

And what's this installation on top of the bridge? Some sort of launcher?

Nice try, ISIS.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Poop hole duh.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Poop hole on the poop deck, makes sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

McNally posted:

Nice try, ISIS.