Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Merrin alludes to knowing about him too. I assume it’s in reference to one of the cartoons, or maybe the comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
You can tell Disney didn't write this game because Darth Maul didn't show up in a flashback or anything on Dathomir

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Can't say I understand the appeal of this game. I like Star Wars so I was already predisposed to enjoying this, but at the end of the day it's a bunch of contrived and convoluted maze-levels that quickly become irritating and repetitive. I already uninstalled it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Can't say I understand the appeal of this game.

Force pushing squads of enemies off cliffs

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think I liked this game but was extremely disappointed in its shortcomings

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Some people like mazes

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Captain Hygiene posted:

They don't fly off though. They get stuck on the edge and fall down fully upright saying words. It's like 1998 up in this game.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Eej posted:

We, are the Jedi friends
We'll always save the day
And can, you think we not
We'll always find a way
That's why this galaxy far, far away, believes in
Merrin, Cere Junda, and Greez (and Kestis!)

lol. yeah pretty much. i am more a fan of the arthur morgan/geralt type of protag but cal is somewhat refreshing for star wars protag. i do get annoyed how easly he brushes off his friends lying to him or getting him hosed over. like i called the trilla twist the second cere sidestepped her fate but i still liked that plotline more than i usually do.

Dogen posted:

Merrin alludes to knowing about him too. I assume it’s in reference to one of the cartoons, or maybe the comic.

she alludes to grievious who basically genocides the poo poo out of the night sisters because they kept butting into the "grand plan".

moosecow333 posted:

Another thing I really like is how Cal doesn’t know who Darth Vader is. We spend a lot of time with Vader in the movies so we assume he’s well known but the vast majority of people haven’t even heard of him.

vader espcially in the early years of the empire in new canon is kinda of a boogieman to the galaxy, no one knows who or what he is and not many people survive long enough to know about him, eventually, he kinda becomes sheeves hatchet man and "fixes" problems.

Bust Rodd posted:

I think I liked this game but was extremely disappointed in its shortcomings

this. i like the story and the liniar missions and the combat but alot of stuff drags it down. 8/10 still.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

JBP posted:

They don't fly off though. They get stuck on the edge and fall down fully upright saying words. It's like 1998 up in this game.

I think I've said it before, but your playstation's haunted or something.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

JBP posted:

Yeah this is not what they do in my game.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
There were definitely times when I pushed some poor schlub off the edge, but then the auto-target setting would still detect him and try to keep me pointed at him even though was infinity feet below me and probably falling for all of eternity.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I’ve sent people off edges so far I’m pretty sure they landed in the next area code.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

I, too, enjoyed Skyrim in 2011.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Pushing people, annoying dogs that pop out of holes in the ground off of ledges is the best.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I’m loving this game off and on, the having to travel back to planets and travel all the way across them for a few unlocks every time I get a new power wears me the heck out though. I’ve just unlocked force pull and oh man I can’t.

After beating Sekiro I felt like this sword play would be a snap, but it’s just not as tight at all. The hardest part seems to be parry timing. Putting the game in performance mode has helped, but there is a big wind up animation for parrying that makes it slower than I think it should be. So when I fight those purple electricity bladed dudes I can have a pretty bad time. Do you guys have any tips for parrying better? I wonder if you’re supposed to start it right as they start their attack. That’s much unlike sekiro, where you parry right as their sword would be hitting to perfect parry. Every time I try that here I get owned.

Also, maybe someone could spoil what happens if you went to Dathomir first? I got the idea from the way they presented it that it would be a bad choice so I still haven’t even been there. I found the double blade on zeffo in the work shop and thought that was what was intended.

Also second sister is cute af. The scene where you fight her to half health and bd-1 saves you, and she takes her helmet off was some incredible voice and character acting. I was getting a bit burned out on the game and that scene just was so well done it totally relit my desire to finish this thing. Maybe they should’ve just put more exposition into the game in between long bouts of grinding planets for jumping puzzles.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

There’s also absolutely no way to string multiple parries because the animation of you raising and lowering your lightsaber is too slow to allow you to block a string of attacks. The entire game of sekiro was blocking strings of attacks, each one perfectly, in a dance with the enemy to finally get you a chance to strike. It was phenomenal sword play. This just doesn’t seem to allow it.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
There's one enemy where a string of parries is the intended way to kill them fast, so of course they make the animations work for it. But pretty much everything else, you're better off just holding block (looking at you, dual wielding edgelords)

Dathomir early: you can get the DBL early but it's an unvoiced animation of him using a bench. You also meet merrin and darth obvious but nothing changes from the normal sequence.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

dyzzy posted:

darth obvious

:hmmyes:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Blind Rasputin posted:

There’s also absolutely no way to string multiple parries because the animation of you raising and lowering your lightsaber is too slow to allow you to block a string of attacks. The entire game of sekiro was blocking strings of attacks, each one perfectly, in a dance with the enemy to finally get you a chance to strike. It was phenomenal sword play. This just doesn’t seem to allow it.

This is a completely untrue statement, with good timing you can absolutely block a flurry of attacks.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

There are some enemies that deliberately have combos which attack too fast to parry if you are already past the first attack but they also almost always end the combo with a bigger, slower attack which you can parry. It’s a perfectly fine way of doing combat.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

SirSamVimes posted:

Making use of the slowdown and dodge kick is how I beat the final boss, and it definitely triggered on directional dodges.

That is really strange because I am trying it right now on scout troopers and I absolutely cannot get the force restoration effect to trigger with the directional sidestep (i.e. holding a direction when pressing dodge once, not rolling), even though I do get some iframes. I do notice that when they go for the slow overhead swing and I press non-directional dodge, Cal will actually sidestep it without my directional input; otherwise against the horizontal swings he does a backstep.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Promethium posted:

That is really strange because I am trying it right now on scout troopers and I absolutely cannot get the force restoration effect to trigger with the directional sidestep (i.e. holding a direction when pressing dodge once, not rolling), even though I do get some iframes. I do notice that when they go for the slow overhead swing and I press non-directional dodge, Cal will actually sidestep it without my directional input; otherwise against the horizontal swings he does a backstep.

You need to not evade in a specific direction. Just press evade and he does a slowmo dodge backwards.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Biplane posted:

You need to not evade in a specific direction. Just press evade and he does a slowmo dodge backwards.

Once again, I have got slow time off directional dodges against the last boss

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

SirSamVimes posted:

Once again, I have got slow time off directional dodges against the last boss

that doesn't jive with my experiences so I have no choice but to conclude you are a liar

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Promethium posted:

That's because it doesn't actually trigger from directional dodges and the final boss has slow downs on dodges for either cinematic effect or your framerate dropping, who the hell knows.

Neutral dodge is what regenerates Force and gives you slow down.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.

dyzzy posted:

There's one enemy where a string of parries is the intended way to kill them fast, so of course they make the animations work for it. But pretty much everything else, you're better off just holding block (looking at you, dual wielding edgelords)

Yeah parry and hold block is the way to go for fast stuff (just like blaster shots). You can still parry fast guys though. Just think of the dual wield guys as hitting twice for one attack. So their main combo string would be 5 hits with 3 "attacks" you can parry and break their guard in one go. This works for the boss of dathomir later, too. I had the most trouble with the rocks attack (because I was a fool and ignored mass push)

Dezinus fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 6, 2019

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Blind Rasputin posted:

I’m loving this game off and on, the having to travel back to planets and travel all the way across them for a few unlocks every time I get a new power wears me the heck out though. I’ve just unlocked force pull and oh man I can’t.

After beating Sekiro I felt like this sword play would be a snap, but it’s just not as tight at all. The hardest part seems to be parry timing. Putting the game in performance mode has helped, but there is a big wind up animation for parrying that makes it slower than I think it should be. So when I fight those purple electricity bladed dudes I can have a pretty bad time. Do you guys have any tips for parrying better? I wonder if you’re supposed to start it right as they start their attack. That’s much unlike sekiro, where you parry right as their sword would be hitting to perfect parry. Every time I try that here I get owned.

You seem to be having a very similar experience to me. I think I've got it down. If you're parrying like you did in Sekiro, then you're going to be late every time. The answer is parry earlier. That might seem obvious, but it's even earlier than you think. It's during the windup phases of most attacks. Once I understood that I was able to get more reliable at parrying.

Also yeah, I have a love/hate relationship with the backtracking. It's sort of a standard thing in adventure games like this. You'll come across early path blocks that can only be passed with powers obtained later in the game. God of War has a lot of this too. On the one hand it gives me a reason to come back and explore content I've already been through. I don't mind doing that. On the other I will sit at a puzzle that is unsolvable for stupid amounts of time wondering how I can get to a place when the answer is "come back later". It would be nice if the game gave a little bit of exposition like "hmmm, I see a path but can't reach the ledge yet, better come back later". For example, there is a stim you can see clearly on your way up the Venator wreckage on Zeffo and I spent a silly amount of time looking for a way to get it. I eventually figured out what needs to happen, but of course you need an ability you don't have yet.

It's just tough for me to be teased with treasure or upgrades in plain sight that can't be gotten yet. My monkey brain wants it right loving now and can't let go.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

My seven year old is enjoying this, and thinks BD-1 is adorable.

I put it on story mode and he's button mashing his way through.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Dogen posted:

It was actually a reference to Grievous.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Just finished. Very solid, and I would love to see Respawn do a sequel that improves on this one and/or some other Star Wars action game.

Love how the goal with Vader is to just get the gently caress away, and I was pleasantly surprised the ending was relatively happy and not "and then everyone died to Vader." I'm really sad Merrin wasn't introduced earlier. She's great, and I wanted to see her and Cal/the crew interact more. She should be playable in DLC/a sequel.

Cal grew on me as a character despite coming off as extremely bland at the beginning of the game and I liked him by the end. BD-1, Cere and Greez were also a lot of fun.

One small thing I liked about the game was the song that plays at the beginning of the game and the monster arena.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xClA02j0Yoo

I like hearing takes of "in-universe" music, and between this and the score in The Mandalorian, I'm digging how Star Wars music isn't just trying to be John Williams' score anymore.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I like jumping between planets with Merrin on board, because she has a lot to say, and definitely should've joined the party earlier

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah, I kinda regret that I didn't see much of that. I really wish there'd been more incentive to backtrack and explore, I just didn't really feel like there was much point by the time she joined up so I missed out on a lot of character stuff.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The further I get from the game, the more it seems like they actually intended for you to blitz through the storyline and only go back to each planet once in the post-game after you’ve collected all your powers.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

This game loving rules. The only thing I don't like is how insufferably pleased it is with it's slide-down-a-slippery-slope mechanic.

This game does not give a gently caress where you are. Imperial base? Wooded jungle? A glacier? A swamp? I hope you like sliding down some slippery fuckin' slopes my man.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
SSX Cal Kesty

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Fuzz posted:

SSX Cal Kesty

They were so close, just tighten up the controls a tad and add a sweet stunt combo system :sigh:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah it's really funny how often the sliding comes up

Every time it happened I heard "try spinning, that's a good trick" in my head

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
If only someone would defend the slippery slopes. Then we could have a real slippery slope argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Chomp8645 posted:

If only someone would defend the slippery slopes. Then we could have a real slippery slope argument.

No! Bad joke! Bad! :mad: