Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Harmontown ended and I've listened since the beginning. I don't think I have got it in me to do a history or true crime podcast during my commute.

I'm bummed out, but it did go for like 7 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I'm going to be knitting blankets for my brothers, and one doesn't care what color so I can pick whatever. The other requested "earth tones" though, and the yarn I'm using has three colorways I think would work. I am struggling to decide which one to use.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Brown.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Found out I have to work on Christmas Eve

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Washed my hands, then my face, then put hydrating cream on my face.

Then I realised I hadn't taken my contacts out, so I had to wash my hands again (because I don't want to get hydrating cream in my eyes).

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019

oldpainless posted:

Found out I have to work on Christmas Eve

/me checks calendar

Aw gently caress, I'm working both Eve and Day. Although even if it wasn't a weekday I would probably work part of a day anyway because poverty.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I took a half day off work because I was expecting an important delivery this morning. I had paid for next-day delivery and got a confirmation that it was going to arrive no later than 2 PM. Then this morning at around 12 PM I got delivery exception notices mentioning "severe weather" in the area, which is total bullshit because it was 60 degrees and just a little wet today.

Hopefully I can get a refund on the express fee I paid.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Drank a bit too much last night and now I am very slightly hungover, and my shoulder hurts like a bitch. I don't know if I slept on it weird or what, because it didn't hurt when I got up.. maybe I'm just old and fat and goony and managed to pull a muscle while sitting down. :sigh:

Also I have to go to work in an hour.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Gamestop's website (yes yes I know, Gamestop is awful whatever) is seemingly convinced I live in Kentucky. No matter how many times I set my home store as the one close to me, it's always back to this one random Kentucky store the next time I go back. It's a tad annoying.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Move to Kentucky

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I am in a local aquarium fish club. I am in charge of the raffle we do every meeting, especially for the Xmas party. Usually I use an old pretzel jar, but lately more people have been coming to meetings, which means more tickets, which means the jar gets filled faster. The thing is, it works like so: I start by pulling a ticket, after shaking the jar, I call the name, person comes up, they pull the next ticket before they get their prize. Usually they shake the jar once, twice, or make a huge deal about digging through the jar to find "a good one."

Today at the party one dude got a bit irritated with me and told me how we need a rolling drum/bingo style bin for the tickets because they don't get shaken much so the same people always win. I tried to explain to him that look, people have dirty hands, it's not just me pulling tickets but everyone, and EVERYONE loving SHAKES THE GODDAMN JAR, especially after I've rolled the tickets by hand. Some people also like to layer; they throw half their tickets in early, then the other half right before we start drawing. Somehow there's like 4 people who always grab out 5 tickets and then thrust them at me, as if they just have a hard time picking one.

Today this guy sat back during the party (keep in mind this is a volunteer slot and I've been doing it for over a decade) and kept rolling his eyes every time four or five people would get drawn for prizes (he was not one of the people. He did have the same amount of tickets as a person who won about 9 times though). But here's the thing: I had the MOST tickets in the raffle. I got pulled six times. Other people had half what I did, the same kind of ticket material, the same loving tickets, mine were not a different texture or kind than theirs, and got seven or eight prizes. It's literally luck.

I can't wait for the club to buy a new drum (it's $40 btw) for this, because I would think luck and randomness is the loving same.

edit:
The president of the club said he might get the drum because it looks nice, but he laughed about it changing who gets drawn for what. He agreed with me that people get caught up on the probability aspect, and I reminded him of a year when I had 40 tickets, everyone else had less than 35, and I got drawn for the last two prizes, which were gallons of snake oil. I didn't blame anyone or ask for redraws!

Cowslips Warren has a new favorite as of 14:36 on Dec 15, 2019

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm in a really frustrating position in my life. I have plenty of cash in the bank from a recent redundancy payment, and I haven't had to use it for bills so that's nice as at least I've been getting temp shifts, but the shifts are garbage and don't pay that much. So I have money, but can't use it for Big Fun Stuff as I haven't got the consistency yet. I've been applying for stuff similar to what I used to do and it all pays way better (my last job severely underpaid me), just none of the interviews have been successful yet. I just need to land and keep one of those good jobs so I can start having enough money in to actively put into my savings again, and I can use some of my pile o' cash for something nice like a Big Holiday. with consistency I could finally LIVE my life but it's just not coming yet.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

There isn't any decent way to play Tony Hawk games on PC.

If you have a copy of THUG 2, you can get that mega mod that gives you basically every game up to THUG but it goes for $85 or so.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I'm manning my store alone as per usual and people think I'm lonely so they're trying to force conversation for my supposed benefit but I'm not very social and would really rather be left alone. But I can't tell them that because it's bad customer service so I just have to humour them until they're done.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

My work changed my start and end time to half an hour earlier and it's completely throwing off my routine :arghfist:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I still can't adjust to actually having money. It legitimately confuses me.

That's the ultimate first world problem, I think; went from horrid, crushing poverty to a profession that pays very well. I look at the number on my paycheck like "what the gently caress do I even do with this? I guess I can...buy some things? What do I even want?"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
UPS is going to try to charge me $30, on a gift package, for the privilege of waving it at CBSA as it crosses the border into Canada and being told I owe a buck in duty fees. This is over and above what the guy paid to send it to me.

No, they don't do this to Americans, why do you ask?

Anyway, hopefully I can say the magic words at them loudly enough that they will send me the info I need to do a self-clearance and pay that buck all on my own.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That's the ultimate first world problem, I think; went from horrid, crushing poverty to a profession that pays very well. I look at the number on my paycheck like "what the gently caress do I even do with this? I guess I can...buy some things? What do I even want?"

Gimme some.
Problem solved.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Not certain this counts as strictly a "first world problem" but the president of our company gave out his family christmas card today. Owns to see his multi-child family on their family boat on vacation #6 or 7 for the year when I'm not even relatively certain my wife and I (childless btw) will be able to retire. Glad they can't afford yearly inflation raises *at the absolute least* but could pay the recently retired president $4 million dollars earlier this year. This was also our best year, but our bonus was smaller than last years.

Can't quit because I earn just enough that disrupting this at all would cost us a lot of money, so I feel trapped and insanely depressed quite frequently but at least we get to finagle two extra days of christmas break so we can take a tiny vacation to visit family a couple states away. Anything further is cost prohibitive because I want to jump off of a bridge any time I think about spending an appreciable amount of money on a trip somewhere. Watching that much money evaporate when I know how long it took to earn is such a horrible feeling now.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Make a budget, save a chunk, throw whatever surplus you have at someone worse off (but not hard enough to injure them)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Are you maxing out your 401k, IRA, HSA, and 529 for possible kids? Because if so, you pretty much won the game.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Other posters nailed it already on the advice front, but congrats on clawing your way out of dead end jobs.

While I'm not making beau coup bucks I can relate. In the past few years I am doing better than I've ever done in my life, and it was a little strange having money for nice things at first, too.
My only advice is:
A) If you haven't already, create an emergency savings fund of however many months income you feel comfortable having on hand for an emergency. That has saved my rear end a couple of times like when my car broke down and our washer broke. That would have ruined me before, or I would have put it on a credit card that woulda taken me years to pay off on a barely above minimum wage job.

B) Watch out for lifestyle creep. If you let it get too far then you're still living paycheck to paycheck.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Mist be some kind of computer toucher job. So do what the rest of them do and lord it over people I guess?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm making okay money but still less than average for my city (Portland is crazy expensive) and between my job stability and my partner's gainful employment, we finally could afford a decent house.

We waited for years on the sideline with everything ready to snipe a good house in our price range.

After a lot of stress we got something bigger and cheaper than my boss's house and it's not even a McMansion.

Actually having something for the long term is making me freak out because everything in my life has been fleeting and temporary.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
A podcast I really like has been delayed for more than a day because their producer had some kind of health thing.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I applied for a more permanent version of my current job, and the only other person still in the running besides me has a tenth of my seniority, but the interview process keeps getting delayed and it's probably going to be January before I actually get interviewed :negative: I want dental benefits dammit.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Dr Christmas posted:

A podcast I really like has been delayed for more than a day because their producer had some kind of health thing.

How rude.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Inzombiac posted:

I'm making okay money but still less than average for my city (Portland is crazy expensive) and between my job stability and my partner's gainful employment, we finally could afford a decent house.

We waited for years on the sideline with everything ready to snipe a good house in our price range.

After a lot of stress we got something bigger and cheaper than my boss's house and it's not even a McMansion.

Actually having something for the long term is making me freak out because everything in my life has been fleeting and temporary.

This was me but buying a car. It actually made me super nervous agreeing to a car loan.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
The dogs I am dogsitting keep slurping when they are sleeping and it is super loud and I don't want to yell at them because they are likely enjoying dream steak, but loving stop it! They have plenty of water, they just slurp nonstop and want to sleep right by me.

My neighbor's kids are little fuckheads. No, one of them is a fuckhead. He's maybe 8? And has a habit of throwing trash in my back yard. Today it was a loving used diaper. I confronted my neighbor about it (this is the second time since summer) and he acted like he had no idea how it got there. Dude, I do not have kids, and he admitted the diaper was the same kind his granddaughter wears. So do we need the Mystery Machine to crack this case?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Man. Total poo poo-show at work today. We cooperated and got everything done, but still. 12hrs criss-crossing four counties, and a full tank of gas later, I'm wiped.

What do I get upon returning home?
"Hey! I'm glad you're back. Can I borrow some cash?"
"Here's the three bucks I got as a tip [we don't accept tips, but ol' gal was insistent. Also, all the cash I have right now]."
"Well, I was hoping to get a beer. Can I borrow your card? [lol, no] Thank you for the three dollars anyways."
"You could have gotten a job at any time during the past year and a half, gently caress. You're welcome."

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

madeintaipei posted:

Man. Total poo poo-show at work today. We cooperated and got everything done, but still. 12hrs criss-crossing four counties, and a full tank of gas later, I'm wiped.

What do I get upon returning home?
"Hey! I'm glad you're back. Can I borrow some cash?"
"Here's the three bucks I got as a tip [we don't accept tips, but ol' gal was insistent. Also, all the cash I have right now]."
"Well, I was hoping to get a beer. Can I borrow your card? [lol, no] Thank you for the three dollars anyways."
"You could have gotten a job at any time during the past year and a half, gently caress. You're welcome."

Uhh, the r/relationships thread is that-a-way —>

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Cacafuego posted:

Uhh, the r/relationships thread is that-a-way —>

Oh, hey. Been meaning to ask, Cacafuego like the ship, or just regular poo poo-fire?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

madeintaipei posted:

Oh, hey. Been meaning to ask, Cacafuego like the ship, or just regular poo poo-fire?

I'm not good with usernames, but I had been reading "The Story of Britain" for like the 3rd time and I always loved the tale of Drake's capture and looting of the Spanish galleon, nicknamed(Caca/)Cagafuego. Some fuckin' goon already had "Cagafuego", but I took the alternate spelling :v:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Imma see one of them star wars today and I can just feel that someone is gonna spoil it for me in the next 6 hours.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I bought a game off Steam that was in my "only if it's really cheap because I really don't know about it" section of my wishlist for 2 dollars, and it sucks.

I am irrationally bummed.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Inzombiac posted:

Imma see one of them star wars today and I can just feel that someone is gonna spoil it for me in the next 6 hours.

Turns out that Leia and Luke are siblings.

I have to admit I did not see that one coming. Was the franchise sponsored by Folger's or what?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I'm working alone all day and night on Christmas Eve. It's going to boring as heck because it's been really slow this year too.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I left a guild in a mobile game due to excessive drama and made a new guild with some other people, then they stopped playing so I joined a new guild that apparently is in the middle of also collapsing due to excessive drama :cripes: I just want to make numbers go up

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
“Needing” to sign of for a credit card and then making sure to use it to prove you have good credit is some bullshit.

Related first world problem: my stupid procrastinating brain failing to do this despite my dad bugging me about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I got promoted into a supervisor position at work, and got about a 40% increase in pay (not that I made a ton before, nor do I now), and it still seems like my wife and I don't have very much money. I get paid more, my check is bigger, so how the gently caress is it that it doesn't seem like we actually have more money?