Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

teagone posted:

Obviously make fun of people being unironically hyperbolic, and poo poo on anyone being racist/misogynist/misanthropic because they didn't like some part of the new Star Wars; they 100% deserve it. But perpetuating the whole "Star Wars fans don't like Star Wars" bit at anyone voicing their own criticisms in a civil manner—and NOT the aforementioned idiotic behavior that the dumb dumbs exhibit—advocates toxicity imo.

Yeah it seems like just a way to try and silence criticism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

One day I'm gonna invent a good faith/bad faith Internet criticism detector and be richer than Bezos

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Jewel Repetition posted:

Yeah it seems like just a way to try and silence criticism

Right. It's cool to disagree with my opinion, but don't lump me in with the "DISNEY RUINED STAR WARS!!!! WAHHH!!!" types and call me insane because I thought the fanservice last episode was obtrusive lol.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Pez posted:

Or maybe sometimes someone is bad at their job and it's ok to point that out with no underlying reason other than you didn't enjoy something

Just lol if you think any of those people were acting in good faith or assume she would get upset enough to leave social media because of actual valid criticism.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

teagone posted:

Obviously make fun of people being unironically hyperbolic, and poo poo on anyone being racist/misogynist/misanthropic because they didn't like some part of the new Star Wars; they 100% deserve it. But perpetuating the whole "Star Wars fans don't like Star Wars" bit at anyone voicing their own criticisms in a civil manner—and NOT the aforementioned idiotic behavior that the dumb dumbs exhibit—advocates toxicity imo. But sure, if someone legit complains "Disney ruined Star Wars!" then lol, yeah point and laugh.

I think we’re agreeing but I’m being bad at explaining it. As I’ve said before, I was 100% against SuperMechaGodzilla’s habit of spamming that phrase in the old Star Wars thread, until I saw how many “fans” hated TLJ for fuckboyish reasons. That’s when I sort of started believing it.

Specifically to the complaining about post-Lucas Star Wars not using classic planets, I’ve only heard those complaints from said fuckboys (“Disney hates Star Wars because they’re sjws and they don’t want to show us our lord and savior George Lucas’s planets”). That’s why I used the phrase. I apologize if I was unclear.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Hazo posted:

I think we’re agreeing but I’m being bad at explaining it. As I’ve said before, I was 100% against SuperMechaGodzilla’s habit of spamming that phrase in the old Star Wars thread, until I saw how many “fans” hated TLJ for fuckboyish reasons. That’s when I sort of started believing it.

Specifically to the complaining about post-Lucas Star Wars not using classic planets, I’ve only heard those complaints from said fuckboys (“Disney hates Star Wars because they’re sjws and they don’t want to show us our lord and savior George Lucas’s planets”). That’s why I used the phrase. I apologize if I was unclear.

Ahh! Ok, yeah, I got you. Yeah my bad too, I've just dealt with being lumped in and/or associated with the same fuckboi types just because I like or said something that others didn't agree with before, so I went on the defensive lmao.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Pretty good episode overall, although probably the weakest one of the bunch. The guy who plays the young Bounty Hunter can't act for poo poo though.

Also the Amy Sedaris appearance was cool even if she didn't have a hell of a lot to work with. She's been one of my faves since SWC.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Dec 7, 2019

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
To be honest, I’m getting bored and basically only watching for baby yoda, who is unbearably cute.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Someone correct me if I'm out of line, but I think the amount of enjoyment that someone is going to get out of this show might have some parallels to how much you enjoyed monster of the week X-files episodes vs the ongoing government conspiracy episodes.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

veni veni veni posted:

Someone correct me if I'm out of line, but I think the amount of enjoyment that someone is going to get out of this show might have some parallels to how much you enjoyed monster of the week X-files episodes vs the ongoing government conspiracy episodes.

Not necessarily: I thought X Files was ok and all but not really my thing. I'm enjoying the poo poo out of The Mandalorian though.

Edit: I’m a fan of spaghetti westerns, Edo jidai, and such shows as Ultraman so I have no problem with just liking what I like and looking past flaws. Small Star Wars is more appealing to me than big Star Wars at this point. 🤷🏻‍♂️

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 7, 2019

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Edit:

Err, I think I'll drop the subject and just focus on The Mandalorian and my excitement to see more Cara Dune kicking asses left and right.

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 7, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

In the season finale the baby evolves into Metapod

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

nice to see gene wilder still getting work. never quite pictured him playing someone blue-collar, but he pulled it off

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
We’ve had 5 episodes and the first 3 of them were basically a 90 minute Star Wars film and only 4-5 have been in the MotW format. I think I’ve also been poisoned by Prestige Dramas in that I was genuinely hoping every episode would have important plot significance but if they continue to inject awesome character/world building in these one-of western/wandering ronin stories I’m completely here for it.

This was the least racist depiction of Tuskens ever. Is this the only time in SW that they’ve ever been depicted as reasonable and non-violent?

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Guys...

They did it.

Auralnauts did it.

https://youtu.be/ksYlCNsBSlg

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

We’ve had 5 episodes and the first 3 of them were basically a 90 minute Star Wars film and only 4-5 have been in the MotW format. I think I’ve also been poisoned by Prestige Dramas in that I was genuinely hoping every episode would have important plot significance but if they continue to inject awesome character/world building in these one-of western/wandering ronin stories I’m completely here for it.

This was the least racist depiction of Tuskens ever. Is this the only time in SW that they’ve ever been depicted as reasonable and non-violent?

You could become friendly with the Tuskens in KotOR 1.

EDIT: Also the old Art of Star Wars coffee table book had a story of a shape-shifting anthropologist infiltrate a Tusken community and find out it was a pretty intricate society, but it still portrayed them as a savage group for the most part.

Captain Splendid posted:

Guys...

They did it.

Auralnauts did it.

lmao

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Dec 8, 2019

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Captain Splendid posted:

Guys...

They did it.

Auralnauts did it.

:perfect:

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

PunkBoy posted:

You could become friendly with the Tuskens in KotOR 1.

KotOR also had this cool implication that Tuskens were the ancestors of all humans.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Josh Lyman posted:

I’m not really sure what the point of that episode was. It’s the first one that felt a bit like filler, just fanservice with the location.
Precisely my reaction. You could skip this entire episode except for the very last minute and miss nothing at all going forward.

It was peak "hey, you disgusting nerds! Remember that thing you liked? Pay us money to show you the thing you liked again!"

That said, it killed an hour just fine.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hey my brother and I were discussing Baby Yoda and we started talking about the impact of the character and we wanted to ask your opinion on something, dear thread:

How much, if at all, do you believe your reaction to Baby Yoda is impacted by your memories of Yoda himself? Do you think you are responding solely to how impossibly cute and adorable it is, or are you also allowing your pleasant memories of Yoda to inform you're response? Would Baby Yoda be as cute if he were aesthetically the same but Yoda was a different alien?

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 8, 2019

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

What is world building hmmm.

Not every single episode has to be ultra plot driven.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

Hey my brother and I were discussing Baby Yoda and we started talking about the impact of the character and we wanted to ask your opinion on something, dear thread:

How much, if at all, do you believe your reaction to Baby Yoda is impacted by your memories of Yoda himself? Do you think you are responding solely to how impossibly cute and adorable it is, or are you also allowing your pleasant memories of Yoda to inform you're response? Would Baby Yoda be as cute if he were aesthetically the same but Yoda was a different alien?
The opposite. I love baby Yoda despite the fact that he's another example of "remember this?"

I'd love him a lot more if he were different kind of cute baby puppet mogwai.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

The opposite. I love baby Yoda despite the fact that he's another example of "remember this?"

We'd never seen a baby of Yoda's species, and he drives the overarching narrative of the story, all while informing and furthering develop Mando's character. I don't think it's fair to call Baby Yoda's character being the "Hey! Remember THIS?!" kind of fanservice. He's great fanservice that's way more important than like, pit droids being used to further hammer it in that Mando hates droids.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bust Rodd posted:

I'm not really drawn to his cuteness, i mean it's obvious he's cute. But so are piglets and i feel nothing but hungry when i see a piglet. I like his attitude, it's like he's a 10 year old smart rear end kid trapped in a baby yoda body.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

My favorite part of Yoda is when he's a trolling gremlin so I'm totally down for Baby Yoda to being a gremlin as well

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

teagone posted:

We'd never seen a baby of Yoda's species, and he drives the overarching narrative of the story, all while informing and furthering develop Mando's character. I don't think it's fair to call Baby Yoda's character being the "Hey! Remember THIS?!" kind of fanservice. He's great fanservice that's way more important than like, pit droids being used to further hammer it in that Mando hates droids.
I said I liked him in spite of that, and it's because of all these things you've said.

He's not just "hey, remember this." But he's "hey, remember this."

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Hot take if the season format going forward is 2-3 highly serialized episodes following an overarching arc, 2-3 episodic stories that are just good fun lighter toned remixes of old western and kurosawa themes and plots, and then 2-3 more highly serialized episodes to drive the main season plot to resolution/cluffhanger, that's totally fine.

Honestly to me it's a refreshing change of pace from poorly paced "binge" or up its own rear end in a top hat "prestige" TV.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Jerri Blank is canon now. J'erri Blaank.

It's weird that people think it's bad fanservice to have gone back to Mos Eisley. I thought they did a great job of making it feel like it did in the OT and I loved seeing a droid tend bar, made it immediately clear that the Cantina had a change in management. I even liked the pit droids because as crappy as the prequels are I enjoy them being acknowledged. What I really liked is that this is probably the first time Tusken Raiders weren't portrayed as mindless savages and were peacefully negotiated with. The Mando respected that they are indigenous to Tatooine, he's a cool dude.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Do we know if this season is supposed to be a self contained story?

Knight2m
Jul 26, 2002

Touchdown Steelers

Vintersorg posted:

What is world building hmmm.

Not every single episode has to be ultra plot driven.

Would that be such a bad thing?

I like the show, I just guess I was expecting there to be more to the overarching story. It just feels more like The A-Team to me than what I was hoping for.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Do we know if this season is supposed to be a self contained story?

I think the only thing we know from season two is that Carl Weathers is signed up. Unless I missed something.

HppyCmpr
May 8, 2011
My hot take is that you guys are too quick to label something fan service. :smuggo:

While I agree it wasn't the strongest episode, I think it gave us a wider glimpse at Mando and the world he inhabits. I don't think this episode was actively trying to push the plot further forward and I don't see why this is a bad thing or why it had to when the show itself is clearly inspired by Spaghetti Westerns and Kurosawa themes.

Owlbear Camus posted:

Hot take if the season format going forward is 2-3 highly serialized episodes following an overarching arc, 2-3 episodic stories that are just good fun lighter toned remixes of old western and kurosawa themes and plots, and then 2-3 more highly serialized episodes to drive the main season plot to resolution/cluffhanger, that's totally fine.

Honestly to me it's a refreshing change of pace from poorly paced "binge" or up its own rear end in a top hat "prestige" TV.

:hmmyes:

This is a good hot take.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Edmund Lava posted:

I think the only thing we know from season two is that Carl Weathers is signed up. Unless I missed something.

Ah, glad to hear this.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Bust Rodd posted:

I'm pretty sure that even without Yoda memories, I'd still be all kinds of "Awwwww" with the baby. Yoda was cute and cool in ESB and RtJ but he kind of came off as a grumpy, politicking rear end in a top hat during the prequel series.

And for my part I am completely fine with no giant, overarching plot or "Big Bad." I wouldn't want 10 seasons of episodic stuff, but yeah, spending the first season just kind of kicking around, seeing the galaxy is fine with me.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Dec 8, 2019

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

I said I liked him in spite of that, and it's because of all these things you've said.

He's not just "hey, remember this." But he's "hey, remember this."

:respek:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Do people never ask Mando his name? Does he specifically tell them to call him “Mando” or “Mandolorian”? Why does no one he meets even comment on this?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

robot roll call posted:

It's weird that people think it's bad fanservice to have gone back to Mos Eisley.

It’s fine, but Mando having a fender bender and having the supposedly remote Tatooine just happen to be the closest planet is just another one of those things that makes the galaxy seem tiny.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I think that’s possibly part of the theme of the Mandalorian’s religion - no one touches their helmets, they don’t take off their helmet in public, so therefore giving their names are not necessary.

It’s also possible that they’re so rare that just being known as “that one Mandalorian we always see” is all the people in the parsec need to know.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
If that really was Jabba's droid serving drinks he should've been like "oh poo poo is that Robert Fett??"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Is Fingerin’ Dan still living? What about Bea Arthur’s character?