Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
You see firebombs are conventional weapons and that was total warfare, therefore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The My Lai massacre was a war crime worthy of some house arrest and forfeit pay. So basically the same as some drug dealing or streaking, I guess?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Conventional weapons is such a loving misnomer

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
We dropped the big one so I don't think the United States ever gets to claim we have a pretty conventional warfighting posture.

Against the background of our nuclear triad the level of military adventurism we engage in is uh, alarming.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Crazyhorse One Eight: *shoots a bunch of unarmed people with a 30mm chain gun, then shoots more unarmed people who come to try and help those people and their car with kids in it* This is fine

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
History is written by the victors.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
White phos and cluster munitions are two obvious ones

Mr Crustacean
May 13, 2009

one (1) robosexual

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

White phos and cluster munitions are two obvious ones

Waging dozens of wars out of choice and engaging in the killing of hundreds of thousands of people is the obvious one.

Regardless of whatever means you use to kill them and whatever label of 'adventurism'/ regime change/ freedom you use to clothe those acts of killing.
The killings themselves are the monstrous act.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Mr Crustacean posted:

Waging dozens of wars out of choice and engaging in the killing of hundreds of thousands of people is the obvious one.

Regardless of whatever means you use to kill them and whatever label of 'adventurism'/ regime change/ freedom you use to clothe those acts of killing.
The killings themselves are the monstrous act.

War is a crime: what else is new?

Mr Crustacean
May 13, 2009

one (1) robosexual

Viva Miriya posted:

War is a crime: what else is new?

Some people seem to be under the impression that as long as you classify the killings you do as a 'war' /conflict/ title 10 operation and the people you kill as combatants.
That killing those people doesn't count against you.

@godholio
@unitedstates foreign policy this 21st century

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
It's the US government equivalent to claiming that the Uighur concentration camps are for reeducation, and not for annihilation of an undesired culture. Or that Russia invaded Crimea to protect the Russians there. Grab that fig leaf and hold onto it hard, it's better (apparently) than admitting the truth.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

mlmp08 posted:

Welcome to History 101 of WWII and Vietnam, the wars where some of what we did would be reported as war crimes if another nation that we did not like had done them!

That's kind of where I thought he was going (specifically weapons, not total warfare), which is a weak argument to use against the modern military. But it turns out we probably used WP mortar shells in Iraq, so nevermind.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 7, 2019

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Mr Crustacean posted:

Some people seem to be under the impression that as long as you classify the killings you do as a 'war' /conflict/ title 10 operation and the people you kill as combatants.

@godholio

gently caress you. I didn't say a goddamned thing about killing innocents, because I loving agree with you on that.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Mr Crustacean posted:

@godholio

You're misinterpreting and tilting at the wrong windmill there, friend. Please scroll back for the lovely opinion of noted forums superstar checks notes "LibCrusher" and similar.

Riot Carol Danvers fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 7, 2019

Mr Crustacean
May 13, 2009

one (1) robosexual

Godholio posted:

gently caress you. I didn't say a goddamned thing about killing innocents, because I loving agree with you on that.

That's kinda the point I'm making.

Your logical conceit of not really giving a poo poo about the killings of anyone who gets labelled as a combatant in a title 10 environment

Where if you label it a war and the people you kill as combatants, then those killings don't count.
And only the non combatant deaths count against you.

It's a rather necessary conceit in a tactical soldiering context to do the job of closing and killing with the enemy.

It's a loving disgraceful conceit to use in any sort of leadership, policy or populace level discussion outside of the tactical role, and should be repudiated and stamped out at every point outside that specific tactical soldiering role in theatre.

Because it's the very conceit that allows you to start those wars and justify killing those hundreds and thousands of people. Where you think killing those people doesn't count because you started a 'war' with them.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Godholio posted:

^That's kind of a new thing, and probably not what he's talking about.
Your last pres had no issues schwacking US citizens either so yaknow

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Mr Crustacean posted:

Your logical conceit of not really giving a poo poo about the killings of anyone who gets labelled as a combatant in a title 10 environment

Where if you label it a war and the people you kill as combatants, then those killings don't count.

It's a rather necessary conceit in a tactical soldiering context to do the job of closing and killing with the enemy.

It's a loving disgraceful conceit to use in any sort of leadership, policy or populace level discussion outside of the tactical role, and should be repudiated and stamped out at every point outside that specific tactical soldiering role in theatre.

Because it's the very conceit that allows you to start those wars and justify killing those hundreds and thousands of people. Where you think killing those people doesn't count because you started a 'war' with them.

I thought he was talking about the morality of using specific weapons.

Next time you want to make a point, don't put words (especially war-crimey words) in my mouth so you can feel like you dunked on me. I stand by my point: gently caress you.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mr Crustacean posted:

Lol what the gently caress is this are you using a posting personaTM?

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Godholio posted:

I thought he was talking about the morality of using specific weapons.

We were, people just apparently feel the need to storm into gip screaming "war is bad!! 1" occasionally, like we didnt all loving agree anyway.

Aaaand it all stemmed from the bizarre idea that someone would feel anything when they get obliterated by a giant sword falling out of the sky like a loving meteor.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mr Crustacean posted:

Hot take from the PLA defender.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Mr Crustacean posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDPTqDk00r4

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Apparently the old Admiral Kuzy cooked off (again?) last night

https://twitter.com/Capt_Navy/status/1205070211352805376
https://twitter.com/Capt_Navy/status/1205084559278252032
https://twitter.com/Capt_Navy/status/1205159970238554112

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

https://twitter.com/AramShabanian/status/1205145552620376064

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Lol

https://twitter.com/nwo_neocon/status/1205213700514287616?s=21

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

:nice:

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Yikes

https://twitter.com/sambendett/status/1205485170226163712?s=21

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

A classic, timestamped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JNLqFHH-oQ&t=85s

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J5PWIgRSOM&t=35s

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Best
https://youtube.com/watch?v=K-SmfybCbsY

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Seen that so many times and just noticed the guy isn't wearing pants

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Thank you for this, couldn't find it last time I looked. Won't lose it again!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Can anyone ID the 2 pairs of 8-wheeled vehicles at the 15 minute, 55 second time stamp?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AsnU3RVLGQ&t=955s

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

Can anyone ID the 2 pairs of 8-wheeled vehicles at the 15 minute, 55 second time stamp?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AsnU3RVLGQ&t=955s

They appear to be Panhard VBLs

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Yes, but the 8-wheeled vehicles.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Ah yes. I don't read too good.

I just spent way too long trying to ID it, and I'm coming up short. It looks like the type of light armored car the Germans like to build but with a radar mast. Maybe an air defense support vehicle? Mortar counter-battery radar?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

mlmp08 posted:

Yes, but the 8-wheeled vehicles.

https://defence-blog.com/news/middle-east-countries-expresses-interest-8x8-phantom-2-ugv.html

maybe?

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
I posted in the AirPower thread:

Frinkahedron posted:

https://www.janes.com/article/92700/dsei-japan-2019-barzan-holdings-showcases-multi-mission-ugv

The nose of the vehicle appears to have a SICK single-plane LIDAR sensor in a vague attempt to call it autonomous. It’s likely teleoperated as a show piece for now.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/sjha1618/status/989336198144561154?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I come, I saww, I conquered