Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackbeer
Aug 13, 2007

well, well, well

I don't think it'd be a problem to run it 15' to the gable end, especially if you use rigid duct. I know a lot of people don't like soffit vents, but I'm not sure it's that big of an issue (as long as one uses a soffit vent kit and not a wall vent flapper). I try to put as few holes through the roof as I can as a general rule. You'd be fine having it in the soffit temporarily at the very least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm sure the answer is "don't do that," BUT I'm going to ask anyway:

I need to put an exhaust fan in my bathroom. Somehow, it doesn't have one. I've been putting this off because my "attic" is a teeny, tiny crawlspace of an attic with no room, and I have to move carefully on the ceiling joists, there's no plywood or anything put down to kneel on.

But, since it's winter, I don't want to have to go up on my roof to install the vent exhaust. My own drat fault for not doing it earlier.

I COULD go to an exterior wall, but the closest gable end is maybe 15ish feet away...I think my fan could push that? I want to say it's 80 or 90 CFM (it's a SMALL bathroom, like maybe 6x8?) so it might just be too far?

So my "compromise" is to TEMPORARILY vent it out the soffit, since that's like 2 feet away from where the fan will go. I will put some sort of panels to block off the soffit vents on either side of the exhaust for a foot or two in each direction to prevent the war, moist air from getting sucked right back up into the attic.

Then, come spring, I'll remove that, put the soffit vents back in place, and route it up through the roof.

Good idea/bad idea? The other option is just go through the roof now...I THINK I could route the exhaust so it's pretty close to the eave, so I might be able to install the vent cap on the roof while staying on a ladder.

Unless your ceiling is very well sealed and insulated I would avoid blocking off soffit vents in the winter if at all possible. You want to encourage your roof vents to pull in cold air from outside your home through the soffits rather than sucking the heated humid air from your living space. Humidity can and will condense on the underside of your roof sheeting in the winter which leads to mold.

In your situation I would route the bathroom vent to the gable end, and mount your termination cover on the side of the house or punch through the roof there

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I have a bedroom-sized room in the basement that has my washer/dryer in it and a cut out with the furnace/water heater in it. The floor is just raw concrete right now. I'm looking for a fairly straightforward solution to finish the floor for reasonably cheap that also looks deliberate and finished. Any ideas? I'm currently thinking of just sealing it and calling it good, but I thought I'd ask if anyone knows of something cooler or better.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Do you have a desire for a certain feel underfoot or just literally something that doesn't look like plain concrete?

Some options:
Epoxy
LVT (luxury vinyl tile)
Linoleum roll or peel and stick squares
Carpet (literally the worst idea given your W/D and heater there)

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I guess normal feel, so not that like anti-slip spikey textured epoxy or whatever. Also fairly easy to clean.

And yeah, I figured we wouldn't really want carpet in there...

I'll check out some of those!

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

B-Nasty posted:

If you really need the power, just get a corded version to begin with.
this

cowofwar posted:

I’m going to replace a flat mirror in our bathroom with a recessed cabinet and have a couple questions:

1. What is the best way to detach the mirror from the drywall? Good ol putty knife?

2. I am familiar with how to install a recessed cabinet in the wall when there are wooden studs but I am pretty sure that the bathroom was framed with metal studs. What is the best strategy there? Use snips to cut the metal studs in the way? Then reframe with wood 2x3s as usual or with metal?
1: If you're not keeping it, get a can of spray glue and plastic wrap. Get the plastic glued on solidly and use a regular prybar to pop off the biggest chunks of mirror that you can. Wear a hat and safety glasses because you will still get tiny pieces of glass flying and things between those and parts of you like your eyes and hair are desirable.
2: Snip the studs, put the appropriate sized pieces of wood inside the metal studs, screw it in both sides, top and bottom, and frame the cabinet in wood like you would normally.

DrBouvenstein posted:

I need to put an exhaust fan in my bathroom. Somehow, it doesn't have one. I've been putting this off because my "attic" is a teeny, tiny crawlspace of an attic with no room, and I have to move carefully on the ceiling joists, there's no plywood or anything put down to kneel on.
Get 16" wide pieces of wood and nail them to the joists so you're not miserable.

quote:

But, since it's winter, I don't want to have to go up on my roof to install the vent exhaust. My own drat fault for not doing it earlier.

I COULD go to an exterior wall, but the closest gable end is maybe 15ish feet away...I think my fan could push that? I want to say it's 80 or 90 CFM (it's a SMALL bathroom, like maybe 6x8?) so it might just be too far?

So my "compromise" is to TEMPORARILY vent it out the soffit, since that's like 2 feet away from where the fan will go. I will put some sort of panels to block off the soffit vents on either side of the exhaust for a foot or two in each direction to prevent the war, moist air from getting sucked right back up into the attic.

Then, come spring, I'll remove that, put the soffit vents back in place, and route it up through the roof.

Good idea/bad idea? The other option is just go through the roof now...I THINK I could route the exhaust so it's pretty close to the eave, so I might be able to install the vent cap on the roof while staying on a ladder.
A soffit 2 feet from the fan is going to create a thermal "short circuit" and pull humid air right back in through every time you have a window open. 15 feet to the gable is no problem and a lot more than 15 times less likely to make your roof leak.

mutata posted:

I have a bedroom-sized room in the basement that has my washer/dryer in it and a cut out with the furnace/water heater in it. The floor is just raw concrete right now. I'm looking for a fairly straightforward solution to finish the floor for reasonably cheap that also looks deliberate and finished. Any ideas? I'm currently thinking of just sealing it and calling it good, but I thought I'd ask if anyone knows of something cooler or better.
Just seal it. If the floor gets too cold, get those carpet squares that fit together like puzzle pieces, keep some squares, and cover the floor with those. Close off the furnace nook with vented bifold doors.

Also, since I recently had a scare, you and everyone else should please put carbon monoxide detectors at the top of each staircase, outside of the furnace room/closet, and either in the hallway outside sleeping areas or in each bedroom. I got ultra paranoid and thought I was being poisoned in my sleep, but it turned out that was just another major anxiety thing and I have working detectors up and since I'm supposed to check my 4 gas detector I use for UrbEx monthly, I check it outside and sweep the house just in case (I'm aware that this is not a thing that normal people do, but I have depression and anxiety with compulsive behaviors and a 4 gas detector, so bear with me).

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

cowofwar posted:

I’m going to replace a flat mirror in our bathroom with a recessed cabinet and have a couple questions:

1. What is the best way to detach the mirror from the drywall? Good ol putty knife?

I just did this and had great success with paint stirrers. Pry up the top corner, stick in a paint stick, and then pull it down along the wall increasing the gap. I used another paint stick to find the parts where it was glued and poked at that while gently tapping with a mallet. Mine was glued with just 6 big circle globs of glue.

Be sure you have the mirror prepped right and the right PPE. I covered the whole mirror in clear packing tape and wore glasses and gloves.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

GWBBQ posted:

Get 16" wide pieces of wood and nail them to the joists so you're not miserable.

A soffit 2 feet from the fan is going to create a thermal "short circuit" and pull humid air right back in through every time you have a window open. 15 feet to the gable is no problem and a lot more than 15 times less likely to make your roof leak.

Ok, thanks. I'll just go to the gable end. Although I did overestimate my fan...it's only 60 CFM...hopefully that is still strong enough to push the 15' or so...again, still a small bathroom, but with the longer amount of ductwork maybe I should return it for a larger one?

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

mutata posted:

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Flooring-Vinyl-Flooring-Resilient-Flooring-Vinyl-Plank-Flooring/LifeProof/N-5yc1vZbzjzZets

Had a few contractors suggest this to me (after I'd already rebuilt my basement subfloor :sigh:). It apparently needs no additional work/underlayment to lay on concrete, while still allowing the concrete to breathe.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

What is a good store to get ball bearings appropriate for kids toys in size? An auto store like AutoZone or should I try to find a skateboard shop or something?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

McMaster-Carr

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
AliExpress

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Regular skateboard bearings? Buy them in packs of 10 or whatever from Amazon or eBay. Unusually sized ones McMaster-Carr but be prepared to pay.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

That's not a critical application so eBay.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
If I am redoing a bathroom floor with LVT and the walls with tile, which do I do first? I would prefer to do the walls, just to avoid damage from mortar or grout or whatever getting on the floor, but I have a feeling it would look better to do the floor and then the tile on top of it.

Hell, for that matter, do I need some sort of transition between floor and wall? I guess they make tiles that are meant to be down against the floor that sort of "slope out" at the bottom? I'm sure they have an official name I don't know, should I get those?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Shouldn't the LVT be free floating? If so, then you'd probably want to do walls first, then floor, then trim to cover the gap between wall and floor. This should also make it easier to do any floor work/repairs later without having to screw around with the wall.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Alarbus posted:

Shouldn't the LVT be free floating? If so, then you'd probably want to do walls first, then floor, then trim to cover the gap between wall and floor. This should also make it easier to do any floor work/repairs later without having to screw around with the wall.

See, I wasn't sure if a tiled wall with non-tiled floor would have trim...my current bathroom floors are linoleum (or maybe just vinyl?) and tile, and there's no trim, just tile down to the floor.

Edit: Something like this is what I was thinking it would look like:

It looks like the base tile on the bottom row is on top of the floor, no trim of any kind.

Edit: Ok, I guess I will need something since I need to leave gaps with LVT from the wall...I'm thinking I can put a ledger board up at the height of whatever trim I use, tile the wall with that in place, then I can remove it, do the floor, and then install trim. Or I guess I can do trim first, then floor, and put in shoe moulding to cover the gap?

V V V I just don't like tile floors...cold, and like 90% of the ones I've seen are always cracked, usually around the toilet. I don't trust myself to install one well enough to not also crack around the toilet. V V V

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 6, 2019

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I think that asthetically no one has probably done tile walls into LVT floor before? I agree that you really do want some sort of trim to cover the transition and keep the floor free-floating and easily repairable. I guess my question would be if you are going to the trouble to tile the walls why not also tile the floor?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The crux here is that there will be a transition, and the amount you want to cover it will depend how big it is.

If you have a flooring that will expand and contract, you will either need to stop short of the wall and cover the gap with trim, in which case you'd do the wall first, or you run the floor under the wall with enough room under there for it to expand and contract, in which case you'd do the floor first.

If the flooring is dimensionally stable (like tile is) you can butt things up tighter and maybe just use some silicone or caulk along the gap, but just bear in mind that, expansion aside, the trim is there to provide you with a margin for error. If you want to go with no trim, you're going to need to get an absolutely spot on meeting of the two surfaces, across the whole length of the room, or at least, of a given tile. That means perfectly cut edges, perfectly aligned, no bumps or lumps or gradients.

I'm guessing your current bathroom has the lino laid first and then the wall tile sat on top of that, and grouted in to the floor. In the case of tile the grout and independent planes of the tiles gives you a bit of that wiggle room back.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Edit: Ok, I guess I will need something since I need to leave gaps with LVT from the wall...I'm thinking I can put a ledger board up at the height of whatever trim I use, tile the wall with that in place, then I can remove it, do the floor, and then install trim. Or I guess I can do trim first, then floor, and put in shoe moulding to cover the gap?
That would be pro. You can get smaller base trim and silicone it in place as well to make any future changes a little easier--not as pro.

DrBouvenstein posted:

V V V I just don't like tile floors...cold, and like 90% of the ones I've seen are always cracked, usually around the toilet. I don't trust myself to install one well enough to not also crack around the toilet. V V V
If you want to a floor tiling job and are worried about cracking research a Schluter underlayment system. Costs a little more, but won't crack unless you drop something like a fire extinguisher on it.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

DrBouvenstein posted:

What kind of Stanley Steamers are you throwing down? What did those toilets do to you?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

My gas furnace has a large set of screws of some sort that have a roughly 1-inch wide straight (i.e. not Philips) head on them securing the front panel. It looks like they're meant to be unscrewed with some sort of coin or something, but two of the screws are so tight that they're nearly impossible to actually remove without something that has more leverage than a screw. Are there any heavy duty tools that can remove screws that look like large versions of these?

I was not the one that installed the gas furnace, if it matters.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Get a bigger flathead screwdriver. A screw style similar to that is called truss head.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is there like, a lever or something you can use for a screwdriver then? Cause those are pretty loving stuck on there.

And no, I'm not turning the wrong way.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Is there like, a lever or something you can use for a screwdriver then? Cause those are pretty loving stuck on there.

Grab the shaft with pliers? Or if it has a nut on the end, use that.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Finding a screwdriver whom's head is the full width *and* thickness of the slot will help a lot in preventing destruction of the screw.

In terms of leverage an impact driver is the nuclear option. A "T-grip" screwdriver will give more leverage also:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Facom-Screwdriver-Slotted-Screws-isoryl/dp/B00B1C6BE0/

Might be worth spraying some WD40 on there if they're seized, other people may have better chemical suggestions, particularly the car folks.

I believe you can also hit it with a torch to loosen things up, so long as it's not flammable.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

50/50 mix of acetone and automatic transmission fluid is a really great penetrating oil for loosening seized parts. Give it overnight if you can.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Pollyanna posted:

Is your flathead a square shaft? Push in with one hand, grab the shaft with a wrench in the other hand and unscrew it.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I'm planning on building a large desk for my home office;

Considering this hardwood table top:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ash-2400-x-900-x-33mm-hardwood-laminated-panel_p0027024

With 3 of these legs, at each end and one in the centre;

https://www.bunnings.com.au/rapidmesh-70-x-73-2-x-6cm-steel-tube-furniture-leg_p0130253

The desk will need to take;

an iMac at 20lbs
a second monitor at 20lbs
and an A2 printer weighing 43lbs (22kg)

With the printer on the left of the desk and the computers on the right, should I expect any bowing or warping on that type of table top?

Thanks!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Sounds fine to me. The legs obviously are plenty strong enough, so really what matters is how rigid the tabletop is (pretty rigid, I would guess) and how far the load is from the legs. My guess is that you'd be fine even if you had two legs, one at each end, and put all the load in the middle of the table. With the extra support and more distributed load I very much doubt you'll have any trouble.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Sounds fine to me. The legs obviously are plenty strong enough, so really what matters is how rigid the tabletop is (pretty rigid, I would guess) and how far the load is from the legs. My guess is that you'd be fine even if you had two legs, one at each end, and put all the load in the middle of the table. With the extra support and more distributed load I very much doubt you'll have any trouble.

Thank you! I'm extremely novice at all things DIY, so I appreciate it.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

so i'm trying to clean up the area around my shower drain in my new apartment. basically, with the drain cap on, the water started standing after about 30s of turning the shower on. once i took the cap off, no standing water. i've tried finding a new cap, but few would fit, and even those that do don't seem to allow more through. so i think my only option is to not have a cap at all. so yea, i want to clean the area as best as possible. so here is where it started:

pretty loving yuck. so i went to lowe's, and they told me to get some clr. after applying 5 or 6 rounds of that, then doing some lemon juice and salt treatment, i'm here:

better! but still pretty unsightly.

where do i go from here? i really have no idea how to deal with the brownish/black ring around the drain itself. maybe some sort of sealant? i really don't know--i've never done anything like this.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

abelwingnut posted:

so i'm trying to clean up the area around my shower drain in my new apartment. basically, with the drain cap on, the water started standing after about 30s of turning the shower on. once i took the cap off, no standing water. i've tried finding a new cap, but few would fit, and even those that do don't seem to allow more through. so i think my only option is to not have a cap at all. so yea, i want to clean the area as best as possible. so here is where it started:

pretty loving yuck. so i went to lowe's, and they told me to get some clr. after applying 5 or 6 rounds of that, then doing some lemon juice and salt treatment, i'm here:

better! but still pretty unsightly.

where do i go from here? i really have no idea how to deal with the brownish/black ring around the drain itself. maybe some sort of sealant? i really don't know--i've never done anything like this.

Put a flat drain strainer over it and never look under it again.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

What is going on with this carpet? It was laid new only two years ago. I've noticed this bump thing appearing in the hallway as well. Is this something I can fix, or is it a sign of something more troubling like the floor of my house shifting?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

bee posted:

What is going on with this carpet? It was laid new only two years ago. I've noticed this bump thing appearing in the hallway as well. Is this something I can fix, or is it a sign of something more troubling like the floor of my house shifting?

Poorly stretched or poorly adhered to the tack strip is my guess. Call your original installer and ask?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

bee posted:

The pad is collapsing. as it flattens, the carpet gets slack. The carpet should be detached, the pad replaced, and then reinstall/re-kick the carpet.

Unless the carpet is shot or you hate it for other reasons. In which case, buy new carpet.

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

I SHOULD GO AND GET FUCKED
I'm in a condo and I'm having an issue where the hot water from my kitchen sink (nowhere else) is behaving strangely. It runs normally for up to a couple of seconds and then loses pressure until it's just a trickle. I can't move the hot water valve under the sink by hand and I don't have any tongue-and-groove pliers I'd need to check if that's the issue, but the fact that the pressure starts normally and dies suggests to me it's some other issue other than the valve being closed too much. The super says it's my issue because no other units are affected. No issues from any other faucets in my unit.

Edit: Cold water runs totally normally.

Kasumeat fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Dec 9, 2019

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Jaded Burnout posted:

I believe you can also hit it with a torch to loosen things up, so long as it's not flammable.
I am not an expert but I feel like taking a torch to your gas service is maybe not a good approach for amateur home repair.

Pollyanna, can we take a step back and ask why you are trying to get into your furnace?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Kasumeat posted:

I'm in a condo and I'm having an issue where the hot water from my kitchen sink (nowhere else) is behaving strangely. It runs normally for up to a couple of seconds and then loses pressure until it's just a trickle. I can't move the hot water valve under the sink by hand and I don't have any tongue-and-groove pliers I'd need to check if that's the issue, but the fact that the pressure starts normally and dies suggests to me it's some other issue other than the valve being closed too much. The super says it's my issue because no other units are affected. No issues from any other faucets in my unit.

I just dealt with this issue with ours, I'd first check your aerator and make sure it's cleaned out of any debris, then take out your mixing valve and clear that as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

H110Hawk posted:

Poorly stretched or poorly adhered to the tack strip is my guess. Call your original installer and ask?

The installer said "looks like it needs re-stretching, our warranty for that is only 12 months". Didn't say anything about the padding though. I'm blown away that this sort of thing happens within two years of use though. The carpet in my parent's house lasted fifteen years before it started to look busted argh