Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

So that's bad, but it gets worse: clans have retinues. Which means that at least one of them is always going to be a general. And no, they are not exempt from these events. If you choose to kick the retinue leader off his army, he goes, and the stack turns into a regular stack, but he'll immediately spawn a new retinue and you'll start getting events for that. It's completely hosed.

This has been a problem since day 1, and I'm honestly not sure if that's working as designed or not. Every time a clan leader kicks the bucket, you get their retinue as a regular stack, in a recent game (1.2) I had a bunch of clan leaders that died in quick succession and got like 25-30 cohorts for free within a couple of years, basically doubling my army and loving up my economy because tribes are dirt poor.

Of course I know you can disband them, but I can't believe this is how it's supposed to work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Trying the free weekend. This is the only major paradox title I haven't bought, can anyone describe for my in a nutshell what Imperator is supposed to be? (Ie. Stellar is is a 4x, hoi is grand war strategy, ck2 is about managing a dynasty etc)

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
EU4 with pops and characters in the ancient world

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Alchenar posted:

Trying the free weekend. This is the only major paradox title I haven't bought, can anyone describe for my in a nutshell what Imperator is supposed to be? (Ie. Stellar is is a 4x, hoi is grand war strategy, ck2 is about managing a dynasty etc)

EU 4 launch version reskinned with romans and parthians instead of French and English. Only on the CK2 map.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Cyrano4747 posted:

EU 4 launch version reskinned with romans and parthians instead of French and English. Only on the CK2 map.

And with Stellaris 2.0-lite pops.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Its sad that its doing a free weekend and I'm not sure that I will bother to download it and try it out. I've been following this thread to keep an eye on the game so I'll know if I want to buy it, but I'm just feeling really ambivalent.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
It's an ambivalent kind of game.

I think that I... like it? Kinda? Hard to say.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Its sad that its doing a free weekend and I'm not sure that I will bother to download it and try it out. I've been following this thread to keep an eye on the game so I'll know if I want to buy it, but I'm just feeling really ambivalent.

Honesty it’s the most meh launch I’ve seen in a long time. Stellaris had a TON of problems but it was also a lot of new poo poo. This has issues (although no where near stellaris) but feels really samey if you’ve played EU4.

That’s not to say it’s a bad game. It’s just not one that really stands out as something different right now.

Edit: I’ve gotten maybe 40 hours since launch. I played to the end once. I’m not upset I bought it but I’m also not clamoring to go back in. I’ll probably jump back in sometime after more gets added.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

As basically the only person I know still playing it, the only reason I bother is that, as a Celt, my blood cries out for the death of Romans and the forging of the Gaulish superstate that should have been :cryingboar:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

They just updated EU: Rome, instead of making a new, better game in the ancient world like they should've done. They've fixed and improved a lot of the mechanics but I haven't played the new patch so I don't know if that oh so critical ~flavor~ bit has been added yet.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

The problem I have with it is that whenever I think of playing some country in imperator I feel like it’d be more fun to play them in eu4 instead

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I think this patch owns, tbh. Mostly it feels like they've finally pinned the numbers for most mechanics, and the pop system is a long ways better than its stellaris equivalent. I've been playing as Himyar into Yemen and it's been really satisfying centralizing the country and founding new cities in strategic spots, then brimming them up with captured foreigners. The mission system seems really cool, but I havent played enough to really vouch for ig.

Maybe most significant is that the diplomatic scene no longer feels frozen in ice, and the hyper power diadochi are now mortal.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

The problem I have with it is that whenever I think of playing some country in imperator I feel like it’d be more fun to play them in eu4 instead

Same but CK2, I want to play as the leading family in a country not the ineffable country god.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Just noticed something cool in one of Florry's streams: he had an event where one of the options was to lose 10k manpower; he tried to cheese it by recruiting till his manpower was 0 and then choosing the option (presumably to cancel recruitment after), yet the option had dynamically changed to minus 10 stability instead.

Is this the first time a Paradox game had dynamic options in events?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

I have the exact opposite problem where I think EU4 has the more generally interesting map layout and more variety but the base mechanics of Imperator are far better now. Which kind of makes me not want to play either.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

canepazzo posted:

Just noticed something cool in one of Florry's streams: he had an event where one of the options was to lose 10k manpower; he tried to cheese it by recruiting till his manpower was 0 and then choosing the option (presumably to cancel recruitment after), yet the option had dynamically changed to minus 10 stability instead.

I wonder if they'll ever fix that exploit in EU4.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

canepazzo posted:

Nah, there's been dynamism in event options for ages. EU3, at least, could scale monetary effects by income, and CK2 added stuff like the ability to add or remove entire options based on conditionals, as well as actual conditional statements. You could kind of hack together conditionals in EU3 by abusing scope limits, but it could be kind of awkward.

I dunno if they've ever before used it to implement anti-cheese stuff like this, though.

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
I'm sort of liking Imperator right now. I like the way it's headed. Food is sort of interesting as well!

Altough the stuttering is reeeaally bad and annoying. Any way to fix this?

Pooned fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 7, 2019

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Pooned posted:

I'm sort of liking Imperator right now. I like the way it's headed. Food is sort of interesting as well!

Altough the stuttering is reeeaally bad and annoying. Any way to fix this?

One thing that helps supposedly is changing the value for shadowmap_resolution to 1024x1024 in pdx_settings.txt (found in the documents/paradox interactive/imperator folder)

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
This is my first time playing in about 6 months — as Egypt, how are you supposed to finish that one prerequisite mission to either produce/import a bunch of goods in Aphroditopolis? The province has no ports, so I can’t import those goods.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

beefart posted:

This is my first time playing in about 6 months — as Egypt, how are you supposed to finish that one prerequisite mission to either produce/import a bunch of goods in Aphroditopolis? The province has no ports, so I can’t import those goods.

If you look at the province view, underneath the trade good list you'll see four square buttons in a row. The blue one (on the one with blue on it- "Entice Business Investment") will add trade route slots to a province at the cost of political power.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Started as Bosphoran Kingdom, pretty fun actually. Should I only have one city per region? My capital area has like 3 or so in it.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

The thing with cities is, their value increases polynomially with respect to their population. One city with eighty pops in it is going to be much more valuable than two cities with forty pops each.

But deleting cities probably isn't worth it- migration is pretty slow and you won't be able to move those pops there until they demote to slaves, which is also slow. And in the capital it matters less because that's going to be fed primarily by slaving anyway.

e: I'm feeling like this may actually be sort of a problem- it means that the ancient urban heartland of the eastern Med and Mesopotamia is, potentially, worse at doing cities than the barbarian periphery, because it starts with so drat many of things. It also incentivises against densely urbanising your lands, the cool thing with the sweet visual feedback.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 8, 2019

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

My thought was centralize on the capital, and then build like granarys and poo poo in the other local cities. Or whatever buildings sorta help the province more than the individual city

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

My thought was centralize on the capital, and then build like granarys and poo poo in the other local cities. Or whatever buildings sorta help the province more than the individual city

That’s pretty much just granaries iirc. I think you’d be better off just jamming them all full of academies though. Maybe some libraries too but I think we’d need a maths nerd to analyse it and tell us when libraries are better than academies

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

Wafflecopper posted:

That’s pretty much just granaries iirc. I think you’d be better off just jamming them all full of academies though. Maybe some libraries too but I think we’d need a maths nerd to analyse it and tell us when libraries are better than academies

I did some bar napkin math for 1.2 and found that, at least for Rome (being a republic adjusts the weights for each pop type in a city, not sure how monarchies differ in that regard), the first three libraries are better than academies (they provide a marginal increase of more than 2.5%, which is what one academy gives) but there's rapid diminishing returns past that, and so after three libraries I spam academies. You also definitely don't want any forums, or mills, in a city you're speccing for citizens, since they will dilute the effect and counter-act each other. And this is assuming you're sitting at 100% happiness (i.e. same culture pops, different culture/religion pops + any appreciable amount of AE will be at zero happiness and so provide nothing). Depending on what your modifiers are, if you're sitting at 80% or 85% happiness or something, you may want to have enough libraries to hit 100% happiness before investing in academies.

E: I also always put at least one theater and temple in every city before investing in libraries, and then academies, both to convert pops (and any incoming migrants/slaves), as well as for the happiness boost to same culture/religion pops once converted.

Azuren fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Dec 8, 2019

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Have they still not fixed nations getting allies after war has been declared? Just had a quite successful run as Pyrrhus and was going to Magna Graecia after conquering most of Greece when half of Italy jumped in after the war was declared.

ganglysumbia
Jan 29, 2005
Played a Macedonia run, and have not had that happen.
Sure it wasn’t a defensive league?

Has Paradox mentioned anything about marriages? A lot of slim pickings...

Is there a way to view all your provinces with pops, economic, and other stats all sorted? Or do have to manually cycle through everything? Late game building and development can get a bit tedious.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Is there any way to culture shift your ruler/ruling family?

Also I'm kind of blown away by how garbage the Kemitic omens are but I guess it doesn't really matter since Egypt can brute force anything that matters and ignore everything else anyways.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

ganglysumbia posted:

Played a Macedonia run, and have not had that happen.
Sure it wasn’t a defensive league?

Yep, 100 % sure. 2 allies before the war and then 3 months into the war 4 more Italian states joined in. Google around a bit and it seems like it's a "feature" that Johan is keen to keep.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Embattled countries being able to play for advantage diplomatically when they're overwhelmed militarily seems good yeah, both as gameplay and as simulation.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Embattled countries being able to play for advantage diplomatically when they're overwhelmed militarily seems good yeah, both as gameplay and as simulation.

If that's the case, you should also be able (maybe with a powerful malus, but still should be doable) to get more allies during the war as an attacker and have them join in, too... otherwise it's way too skewed in favor of defenders

E: and that would probably result in almost every war becoming WW1/2 during Roman times, which would be super weird.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Game is really good now. Playing as Thrace, it's only 482 and I've been attacked 5 times already: twice by Macedon, twice by Phrygia and once by Pontus. It's been quite challenging, but it's my own fault since I kept my aggressive expansion too high (constantly in 40~50 range) and now everybody hates me so I can't find an ally.

edit: it's now 492 and Phrygia declared again so that's 6 times already.

Walh Hara fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 12, 2019

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
If anyone hasn't tried it yet, Arabian religion omens are overpowered as hell (even moreso than Hellenic) and make for some really fun games once you get over the initial manpower/income hump. They also get Phalanx tactics as if everything else wasn't easymode enough.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

So is the game good now I haven't touched it in like half a year?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
My dynasty doesn't have enough people to fill the 3 offices minimum for satisfying a family, but I still take the loyalty penalty?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

I'd say the game is good now, and actually a couple patches/DLCs to being very good. I feel like there's always something to do, especially with the mission system (only played Rome so far so unsure how good the generic missions are).

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Lawman 0 posted:

So is the game good now I haven't touched it in like half a year?

It's better. The internal politics stuff is still kinda loving around. Diplomacy seems less static. Internal development has actual meat on it now. Even war's a little better and that was the best part.

Still the worst paradox game.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

is it possible to go past the hard end date yet? game felt like it ended just when i was getting ready to have the big empire vs empire endfight last time i tried

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Davincie posted:

is it possible to go past the hard end date yet? game felt like it ended just when i was getting ready to have the big empire vs empire endfight last time i tried

there's a mod, or a text file you can easily edit yourself