Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

I don't know how I feel about Nadine punching poor Ed in the gut. :v:

Never paid too much attention to it, but Audrey's dream sounds an awful lot like rape. "His tongue is so heavy. The hand on my throat. It hurts me. Oh, God, it hurts me." It's incredible how casually the episode later on transitions to Josie having been raped by Jonathan, too.

The safety deposit box Josie mentioned must have been a bluff. It never comes back to haunt Ben.

As awful as Bobby seems due to his little scheme, the entire kazoo party scene is absolutely brilliant.

Leland plucking the ferret's fur and that awkward shoulder shake. :allears:

There are so many little cues from season three in this episode:
The moment between Coop and Harry after saving Audrey is pretty crucial to what happens in the last two episodes of the Return, imo. In a way, it's basically this on a larger scale: "I went out of my jurisdiction. […] This isn't the first time my actions have brought suffering to someone I care about, in the name of doing what I had to do." "You know, you are the best lawman I've ever seen. But, Coop, sometimes you think too much." I can't help feeling that Cooper was at his most effective when he was Dougie, not thinking at all.

:aaaaa: Pete recognising the song Leland is singing and shouting: "The King and I" right next to Mr. Tojamura. I can't believe it. The kung fu drug dealer from the Return tells Richard: "Did you ever see the movie The King and I? […] I said I like it." Even spookier: This is episode 6 of season two, and that scene is in part 6 of season three. :tinfoil: We might have to play them on top of each other, after all, folks.

MIKE's phrasing: "Do you understand the parasite?" is quite similar to Mr. C's: "Do you understand the place?" to Richard before he makes him climb that rock.

El Jeffe posted:

Hell of a lore dump

The first season was so elegant. Every episode had a theme, which all side plots commented on in some way. Season two's scenes don't actually line up in that way. I think that makes it feel more clumsy.

And More fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Nov 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

And More posted:

(season 3) I can't help feeling that Cooper was at his most effective when he was Dougie, not thinking at all.

Checks out :hmmyes:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also this episode namedropped Nagasaki. I'd totally forgotten that there was anything in S1/2 to tie it in to the S3E08 nuke stuff.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Checks out :hmmyes:

SQUEEZEE HIS HAND OFF!!

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

That's our Dougie. :allears:

Data Graham posted:

Also this episode namedropped Nagasaki. I'd totally forgotten that there was anything in S1/2 to tie it in to the S3E08 nuke stuff.

Yeah, episode 8 is pretty wild, but it actually makes sense for the show. The sentence "I know a little about fire" could, at this point in season two, already apply to a number of characters. Margaret fears fire, BOB brings fire. It would maybe go too far to connect it to the concept of fire as electricity and magic right now, but I think that's one of these themes that the show is always exploring.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I still cringe at all the Mr. Tojamura stuff, but there's something beautiful about Pete constantly trying out conversation starters at the bar and getting shut down each time, and ending with the reveal he's been drinking milk the entire time :allears:

Also the way Mike shifts from kind of pathetic junkie shoe salesman to the sheer dark glee he takes in recounting his life story is great, and him and Coop reciting the poem in concert sends shivers down my spine.

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance out between two worlds:
Fire walk with me

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I would really appreciate a canonical version of that tattoo so I could get it

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Jerusalem posted:

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance out between two worlds:
Fire walk with me

This poem is another instance where a translation robs the show of some of its ambivalence. It's never entirely clear whether MIKE says: chance or chants. While this episode's subtitles say "chance", when the poem comes up again later in the show, it's subtitled as "chants". Both make sense in some way. It's even kind of a point of contention among fans. Personally, I like that it could be both, and you can't be sure.

In the German version, they had to decide on one translation, and so they picked: Weg, which means way/path.

Consummate Professional posted:

For a second there, I thought you wanted a canonical tattoo of the word "Mom". :v:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

And More posted:

This poem is another instance where a translation robs the show of some of its ambivalence. It's never entirely clear whether MIKE says: chance or chants. While this episode's subtitles say "chance", when the poem comes up again later in the show, it's subtitled as "chants". Both make sense in some way. It's even kind of a point of contention among fans. Personally, I like that it could be both, and you can't be sure.

Oh yeah, I always thought it was Chants myself but looked it up before posting and the version I saw said chance so I assumed I was wrong. I preferred chants, but I agree it's cool that it could be both.

Also I don't recall if anything comes of it later beyond Coop getting investigated, but it always kind of blew me away that Hawk just killed a dude from behind up in Canada and then everybody just went about their business.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

And More posted:

In the German version, they had to decide on one translation, and so they picked: Weg, which means way/path.
or "gone" if you slur the pronunciation really badly, you could probably work with that :v:

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The original script said "chance".

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Consummate Professional posted:

I posted about it a couple of years ago, fwiw.

Origami Dali posted:

There isn't really ever a good, clear shot of it. It's just a lovely txt tattoo anyway.

Also, here's the drawing Lynch did on a sticky note when he first thought of the phrase. He said Bob's tattoo in his mind isn't necessarily this drawing tho.

I'm pretty sure the idea of FWWM was originally for Frank Booth's tattoo, according to Lynch.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Jerusalem posted:

Also I don't recall if anything comes of it later beyond Coop getting investigated, but it always kind of blew me away that Hawk just killed a dude from behind up in Canada and then everybody just went about their business.

Yeah, I like that moment, but the entire aftermath of it isn't particularly thoughtful. Audrey was nearly raped, was abducted and high on heroin for days on end, and it's never brought up again.

My Lovely Horse posted:

or "gone" if you slur the pronunciation really badly, you could probably work with that :v:

Like a turkey in the corn. :monocle:

Origami Dali posted:

The original script said "chance".

I can't corroborate it, but this site claims Lynch's original poem said "chants", and they changed it in the script.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
I now wanna know what it is in Japanese.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Well, only one way to find out. Google Translate. Apparently, it's ブラック・ロッジ (Burakku rojji). You can't deny, that's a very efficient translation.

This reminds me, a Ukrainian friend recently told me that the black lodge in the Russian version is translated as the black wigwam. I can see how that happened. It's still pretty wild.

edit: I just realised I didn't actually answer the question, there. :doh:

And More fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Nov 30, 2019

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That's kinda how I always interpreted it though? I thought "lodge" was a fairly common term for dwellings in certain Native cultures, and I thought that's the vibe Hawk's mysticism was alluding to.

I mean, unless it's just that calling it a "wigwam" conjures up a really specific or regional mental image that just doesn't work.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

I'm not saying it can't be a wigwam, but the English version requires interpretation to come to that conclusion. Just look at the Webster's dictionary definition of lodge and then compare that to what possible interpretations wigwam offers (it's two). Like, I previously criticised the German translation for being cabin, and wigwam is somehow even less faceted than that.

And More fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 26, 2019

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
There is some strange stuff you find when you search for Japanese Twin Peaks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoItYM2EW7s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsrd9RjF-gk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxzLhsCdCXg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoyFY2bArho
Wtf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFQmJMF0R_M

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Technician: But sir, our channel isn't called Wowow
Executive: It is now :stare:

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
There’s a Disney show on Disney+ called So Weird which is like xfiles for kids. Late in season one there’s an episode about tulpas...

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Gravity Falls is worth a watch too. A shame they got rid of Louis CK's lines, though, they were actually made even funnier by his being ein sexmonster.

coldtaxi
Jan 1, 2009

AstroWhale posted:

I now wanna know what it is in Japanese.

Looks like “chants” is the winner:
来たるべき過去の闇を見通すのが魔術師の望み。
2つの世界の間から、人は声を放つ。
Fire, walk with me.(火よ、我と共に歩め。)

Kitaru beki kako no yami o mitōsu no ga majutsushi no nozomi
Futatsu no sekai no aida kara hito wa koe o hanatsu
Hi yo, ware to tomo ni ayume

The desire of the magician is to see through the darkness of a past due to come
Between two worlds, a person lets out a cry
Fire, walk with me (like addressing the fire and telling it to walk along with you)

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Okay, this made me extremely curious what other versions (that I can kind of understand) might be like. Spanish is firmly on the "chance" side with "posibilidad". Italian is firmly on the "chants" side with "canta una canzone". French is fairly interesting because the subtitles and the dialogue are completely different, and they even vary between episodes.

The subtitles mostly go with: "C'est un chant" - It's a song.
In the spoken version in the third episode it's "Une porte de sortie" - An exit door.
At the police station, Mike says something completely unrelated, which I couldn't really understand, tbh (It would help if the subtitles actually matched). It's something like: Me, I can only speak of one thing.
And in season three it's in both subtitles and the spoken version: "On psalmodie une incantation" - "We/One chant/s an incantation".

That must be super confusing. How would you even recognise that as the same poem?

AstroWhale posted:

There is some strange stuff you find when you search for Japanese Twin Peaks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxzLhsCdCXg

Man, James with his super manly Japanese voice is a trip. I might actually watch his subplot this way from now on.

And More fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 30, 2019

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Can't stay up for this one but here's the log lady:

S2E7
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwnwvtM0yYU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

NEW SHOES!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

RIP to Harold, Mr. Tojamura and Maddy

It's still hard to believe that the scene with Bob/Leland preparing to kill Maddy in slow motion was aired on network television, but it's hard to believe a lot of this show was.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
One element I quite like in this stretch of Twin Peaks is how Bobby Briggs and Shelly Johnson end up rehabbing Leo in just the manner that the sleazy salesman a couple episodes ago suggested. Home care and familiar faces are the stuff of miracles!

The show also went and answered my question from a few weeks back; in his conversation/confession to Audrey, Ben Horne says he's owned One Eyed Jacks for five years.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

God I thought I was mentally prepared but even so seeing Leland revealed and then going after Maddy was deeply, deeply disturbing.

Rageaholic posted:

It's still hard to believe that the scene with Bob/Leland preparing to kill Maddy in slow motion was aired on network television, but it's hard to believe a lot of this show was.

Seriously. I often have to remind myself this show came out in 1990 :stare:

I honestly cannot for the life of me remember what Catherine's end-game strategy was or how she put together the resources, but the sooner they drop the Mr. Tojamura make-up the better. Even so, it was wonderful seeing her and Pete's reconciliation :shobon:

And gently caress Harold Smith, the manipulative creep. Everything about that guy always rubbed me the wrong way no matter what and this time through my distaste for him was even stronger.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

The doubling of the murder, once with BOB and once with Leland is so terrifying. It recontextualises Leland's grief into something lustful and vile in a way only Twin Peaks can. The anticipation of the murder when Maddy says goodbye and Laura's photo just hovers in the left corner of the frame before the camera moves over to the record player is also quite something. You just know something's not right.

Rageaholic posted:

NEW SHOES!

Eric Da Re actually plays this part really well. He is still menacing, and yet I feel kind of sorry for him.

Jerusalem posted:

I honestly cannot for the life of me remember what Catherine's end-game strategy was or how she put together the resources, but the sooner they drop the Mr. Tojamura make-up the better. Even so, it was wonderful seeing her and Pete's reconciliation :shobon:

Yeah, I suppose it doesn't really matter what the plan was, once they've arrested Ben. I love the inversion of traditional gender roles with Pete and Catherine. It's particularly evident here when Pete gets the drop-a-food-tray moment, and starts weeping, while Catherine just kind of comforts him.

quote:

And gently caress Harold Smith, the manipulative creep. Everything about that guy always rubbed me the wrong way no matter what and this time through my distaste for him was even stronger.

He's just the second step in Donna's quest to slowly weed out all the creeps Laura hung out with. First Jacoby gets it, now Harold and Ben will be soon to follow.

And More fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Dec 1, 2019

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
What are the chances that they do a 4k release is the series? Very low?

Eyeing that big box set as its release date approaches. With how many people are dead I have a hard time seeing a S4 happening, so this feels like a safe time to buy.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The box set will have a disc with 4K versions of the pilot and 308. I think that’s the best we’ll get for a while.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
https://twitter.com/ericallenhatch/status/1198433705372659712

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/indiewire/status/1202986114363142146?s=21

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I mean, I've certainly never seen a better 18-hour film!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m firmly in the “it’s not a film” camp but this is still funny

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I mean it's not a film but it's 18 hours and I'd rather watch it than most 2 hour films so, sure, I'll go with it.

edit: I forgot that it was scripted and filmed as one work and then Showtime split it up. It's a movie, holy gently caress, it's an 18 hour movie. God bless you david.

this... actually looks... sort of cool?? https://welcometotwinpeaks.com/news/twin-peaks-vr/

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I would never expect the loving main Twin Peaks fansite to have a “you can’t read this unless you let us show you ads” message but I guess that’s the world we live in now

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

i think twin peaks is a movie and also that it was the best one of the decade. hell while I'm at it fire walk with me was the best movie of the 90s, too

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

gently caress yes, this rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

S2E8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMrnJN7vZak