Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

taqueso posted:

What is it?

It’s the electronic parking brake, the bottom eye snapped off when I tried to bolt it into the rear caliper.

e: better image

The Meat Dimension fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

You can juice that up with a 12V battery to retract it if you want instead of unbolting it.

Just be sure it’s unset before you do , or you engage it again after service since it will otherwise set a fault when you start the car and attempt to unset the already unset brake. VIDA will fix that if you have it but the incessant beeping otherwise won’t help.

Source:

E: that becomes a louder faster beeping red exclamation point if you try and drive with it

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE
Oh my...what did I buy?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

:justpost:

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

2016 V60 Polestar
345 hp AWD
35,500 miles

Got to drive if for a couple of hours today while running errands back from the shop, so far it's been very nice though the 20in tires do telegraph the bumps a bit. But I have to say this thing takes corners so incredibly flat. Will be driving to IL in a few weeks so I'll get to see how long distance goes with the adaptive cruise.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Regarding the parking brake, to be honest I just went with a $100 iCarsoft diagnostic computer thing for it. Much easier and and be used for a ton of other useful stuff. I mean for what the dealer wanted to change just the rear pads, I bought that, premium brake pads, Volvo brake pad lube, gearbox oil and a fluid pump thing for getting the oil into the gearbox.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Oxphocker posted:

2016 V60 Polestar
345 hp AWD
35,500 miles

Got to drive if for a couple of hours today while running errands back from the shop, so far it's been very nice though the 20in tires do telegraph the bumps a bit. But I have to say this thing takes corners so incredibly flat. Will be driving to IL in a few weeks so I'll get to see how long distance goes with the adaptive cruise.

I'm jealous as gently caress.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Oxphocker posted:

2016 V60 Polestar
345 hp AWD
35,500 miles

Beautiful, are the wheels/tires stock? I didn’t realize they were that big.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

Gigi Galli posted:

Beautiful, are the wheels/tires stock? I didn’t realize they were that big.

Yeah the 20s are stock. Don't know if that's the original rubber (based on the tread depth I think it's set #2).

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Nice looking ride

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

Here's the front tires. Fronts have 6 piston brembos 330mm I believe.

And something you won't find on most polestars, a hitch:

Thanks everyone, really been enjoying it so far. Dobler, too bad you aren't in MN man, I'd invite you for a ride if you were.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

It's cool. I've spent some time near one at least.

This thing had an elevate intake and tune, it ran in the 12s here at altitude. They fast.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Oxphocker posted:

2016 V60 Polestar
345 hp AWD
35,500 miles

This is my ideal car/wagon

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

It's been all ice/snow here since Sat...so I haven't had a chance to step on it yet. Can't wait to do so and see how it really goes off the line.

But I can report that the AWD works great and I got out of a drifted pile under the car at work today.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I added the mirror fold and accessory lamp switches to the bottom of the center console, and rearranged the existing switches. Did the reset that is supposed to detect the switches: Key in position 1, battery disconnect, key in position 2, reconnect battery. But, it doesn't recognize the new switches and complains about the anti-skid now :/

Trying again...

e: some vida time and i think i've got it sorted mostly

the used passenger side mirror I bought might have a broken fold function

taqueso fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Dec 12, 2019

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi

beautiful

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

AF posted:

beautiful

Thanks =)

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

(2004 XC90) Is the automatic climate control supposed to use the AC pretty much all the time? Is it trying to dry out the cabin or something? If I turn it off, I get like 2-3mpg better economy. Is there a sensor that it uses to decide when to turn on the AC?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I've only owned a couple vehicles with climate control but both of them definitely defaulted to running the compressor pretty much all of the time, presumably for the air-drying effect. On my MS3 I could work around that by setting the climate control to a target temperature, then hitting the A/C button to disable the compressor. It'd still adjust the blend doors as needed to hit the target temperature, but it wouldn't kick the compressor on again unless I changed the temperature.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I can do the same and disable the AC but keep other automatic functions, but I was hoping it was smarter I guess.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

My Volvo son Call was about to expire. When I opened the app, it offered to renew one extra year for free. No reason given. Maybe no one is renewing cause the price is just dumb, so they are giving it out.

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost
As of today, I'm happily back in the Volvo family. Found a 2017 V60CC with 38k and a clean CarFax for just under 25 large.
Drivers seat just felt like home, as soon as I sat down.

Edit: Goddamn I love this car.

Cholmondeley fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 15, 2020

ch1mp
Oct 4, 2004

Thread needs moar brick.

This has been completed for a few years but here's some pics:

This:

minus:

plus:

plus:

plus:

=

82 242 - 6.0 ls/ford 8.8 lsd/224R cam/60R 330mm brembos/kaplehenke adj. suspension

ch1mp fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 11, 2020

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
I finally got all the body parts I needed to make my 2000 V70R look decent. I pulled it back into the garage after taking the second pic and smelled fuel. Upon investigation I found out that one of the fuel lines over the tank is leaking. :sweden: Never a dull moment with these cars.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Made a deal to sell my R last night, the guy will fly in to pick it up in 2 weeks. I'm now trying to decide what to replace it with and for how much. And when, I don't want to buy too early in case he backs out.

Part of me wants to get a hardtop C70 and just run it full time with no backup car. But that would mean letting go of my other C70 that I've got so much work in, that works perfectly and hasn't let me down, ever.

I think the ideal would be to go back to the winter beater concept, where I only maintain and never modify. I think I was happiest when I did that.

There's an ice white V70 2.5T on craigslist that is way overpriced but decently low miles. I like it a lot but it'd almost be a lateral move. I'd be trading performance for reliability.

I wish I had time to troll copart for the perfect fixer, but I don't want to drive my C70 in winter slop.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
It feels good to get of rid of something that is increasingly weighty. Maybe drive the C70 for a winter and wait for the right thing to pop up?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Wrar posted:

It feels good to get of rid of something that is increasingly weighty. Maybe drive the C70 for a winter and wait for the right thing to pop up?

LloydDobler posted:

I don't want to drive my C70 in winter slop.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

The washer hose cracked under my hood near where it fishes up through the quarter panel . It’s getting my hood hinges real clean but this doesn’t help me , and it’s cold as poo poo out .

I still have a suspension squeak somewhere the dealer claims to have not heard. I have photos out with them on a corrosion warranty claim , still waiting to hear back. The quarter panel is rusting through behind the wheel well already. Internet says it’s because leaves and mess get back there and can’t be cleaned out.

Either way car isn’t 8 years old shouldn’t be rotting through.

I’d like to fix up stone chips and minor scratches this year. Is Dr Colorchip still a good choice for the shade tree dumbbell such as myself?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Partycat posted:

The washer hose cracked under my hood near where it fishes up through the quarter panel . It’s getting my hood hinges real clean but this doesn’t help me , and it’s cold as poo poo out .

I still have a suspension squeak somewhere the dealer claims to have not heard. I have photos out with them on a corrosion warranty claim , still waiting to hear back. The quarter panel is rusting through behind the wheel well already. Internet says it’s because leaves and mess get back there and can’t be cleaned out.

Either way car isn’t 8 years old shouldn’t be rotting through.

I’d like to fix up stone chips and minor scratches this year. Is Dr Colorchip still a good choice for the shade tree dumbbell such as myself?

For a car that new I'd go OEM. https://www.myvolvoparts.com/Volvo-Touch-Up-Paint-Factory-Match_p_5226.html

I guess it's a bit expensive though, even at $11.50 per tiny brush bottle.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

For $12 it’s worth it if it matches

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

How bad an idea would this 2006 V70R for $8k be that has a small exhaust manifold gasket leak, a seeping rear shock and a failing steering rack with 136k miles on the clock? https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/los-gatos-2006-volvo-v70r-awd-wagon/7055714312.html

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

What's the suggested annual repair budget for R's now? $8k if you're using a shop and $3-4k if doing it yourself?

Frohike999
Oct 23, 2003
I had to replace the blower fan in my XC70 this week. This is the easiest drat car to work on. I had the old one out in 15 minutes and the new one in in another 30!

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

angryrobots posted:

What's the suggested annual repair budget for R's now? $8k if you're using a shop and $3-4k if doing it yourself?

It's been $2-5k with a mix of shop and self if i annualized it out.
But there is so much BS on that car, the shop is really just loving easier.

I did have that nice $12k catch up on maintenance/100k party.

That sucked.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Well that's discouraging! Lol - shouldn't get my hopes up about serious enthusiast cars I know basically nothing about I suppose.

Are the non R cars from that generation less finicky in the maintenance department?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I'd still put it around $2k a year, DIY will cut it back a bit.

The things that make the R more expensive are:

4C shocks. One source, around $250 each, and they fail regularly, around 50k-100k miles depending.
Some suspension bushings and other components are unique.
Brembo brakes. The pads are thinner to start with, and rotors go with every set.
Brembo brakes require large wheels and more expensive tires.
Speed sensitive steering - far more expensive. Also has a cooler with unique hoses.
Extra HP is much harder on the AWD components, and the angle gear box and its coupling sleeve fail with regularity. Same with the driveshaft.
Exhaust is unique and now discontinued, aftermarket is the only source.
Headlights aren't unique but still very expensive.

The basic level cars just don't stress the common components as much, and have much less expensive wear components.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 17, 2020

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

flightless greeb posted:

Well that's discouraging! Lol - shouldn't get my hopes up about serious enthusiast cars I know basically nothing about I suppose.

Are the non R cars from that generation less finicky in the maintenance department?

You can buy my 07 s60R.

It's loving nearly mint and has a manual.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 17, 2020

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I need an auto for terrible traffic and a wagon to haul a ladder but thanks!!

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

flightless greeb posted:

I need an auto for terrible traffic and a wagon to haul a ladder but thanks!!

I've got a Thule rack in the storage shed. Ladders? No problem!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Still a week away from selling and already experiencing massive seller's remorse. I think I should just drive my C70 all next week.

I mean, come on

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 18, 2020