Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I'm glad someone finally found a casque, and I'm glad I went out to Roanoke to screw around with one of the clues. This thread actually did deliver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

AARP LARPer posted:

Urban Smurf is the only good part of this thread which means that, yeah, I like his postings more than anybody else’s and I can see how that might spark some jealousy among the pretenders to the throne here.

:justpost:

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

FelchTragedy posted:

Any joy with that? I emailed you if you could get back to me about it if you did go.

Sorry I forgot the password to that account after I cleared my cache the other week. Hit up 3 more of the marked digspots in the park but bully probe didn't hit anything solid in any of the three area's I checked. I'm pretty sure the one location that's cordoned off already with tape is for some other reason. Started to rain after the third so I we cleared out.

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!
we did it, reddit!

FelchTragedy
Jul 2, 2002

FelchTragedy.
Internet, I call forth your power!
Let's T_Roll.

DandyLion posted:

Sorry I forgot the password to that account after I cleared my cache the other week. Hit up 3 more of the marked digspots in the park but bully probe didn't hit anything solid in any of the three area's I checked. I'm pretty sure the one location that's cordoned off already with tape is for some other reason. Started to rain after the third so I we cleared out.

PM me a new email and you can show me which ones.

Masey
Aug 22, 2006
Pancakes.
I highly doubt Cask 3 is at its original burial location. 31 years of hurricane wind, flooding, and erosion.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

bumpin because someone in the tribute hunt thinks burnstyle buried the casque on the trail of tears :downs:

also nothing has been found anywhere and no new wrists broken afaik

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Crusty Nutsack posted:

bumpin because someone in the tribute hunt thinks burnstyle buried the casque on the trail of tears :downs:

also nothing has been found anywhere and no new wrists broken afaik

I'm moderator of the FB page for the Tribute hunt, and I get a shocking number of PM's that are like "JM dug up and reburied casques and his new hunt is for all of them" and it's like: Dude just got an original casque from the artist and made a cool hunt and buried it, why... why would he ever dig up an original 12 casque and think "I should not announce this, I should just lump it into another puzzle where I announce there is 1 new casque but I am lying????"

It's an amazing insight into how much people are willing to bend reality and common sense rather than invalidate their initial solves. In their defense, a lot of these people seem to come from a point of extreme suffering, so I'm glad the Tribute has provided them with a resource for relief.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 23, 2020

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Drunk Nerds posted:

I'm moderator of the FB page for the Tribute hunt, and I get a shocking number of PM's that are like "JM dug up and reburied casques and his new hunt is for all of them" and it's like: Dude just got an original casque from the artist and made a cool hunt and buried it, why... why would he ever dig up an original 12 casque and think "I should not announce this, I should just lump it into another puzzle where I announce there is 1 new casque but I am lying????"

It's an amazing insight into how much people are willing to bend reality and common sense rather than invalidate their initial solves. In their defense, a lot of these people seem to come from a point of extreme suffering, so I'm glad the Tribute has provided them with a resource for relief.

it's good that you are the mod and I am not because I mostly just laugh and think the people these theories are coming from are insane

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Crusty Nutsack posted:

it's good that you are the mod and I am not because I mostly just laugh and think the people these theories are coming from are insane

:same: I'm just here for the people watching, which I suspect is why I got made mod... I have no dog in this hunt

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Tomorrow is the first anniversary of the tribute hunt, where the guy who made the podcast got the original casque and got the original artist's son to make a new image.

Tomorrow is also a new hunt by the same guy. It'll be on MysteriousWritings.com tomorrow at noon, est. He's trying something new where he doesn't have that big of a prize (it's like $50-$100 of silver and some other stuff). There's a FB page for it if you wanna gawk at... let's call it "extra creative" solves https://www.facebook.com/pg/Sunset-Trail-A-Treasure-Hunt-107996790759525/posts/?ref=page_internal

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

RIP tribute thing, it was killed by drama llama

burnstyle did you even ever bury that casque or what??

edit: I am thoroughly enjoying watching all these people meltdown over not being able to get an ugly piece of painted plaster

Crusty Nutsack fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 7, 2020

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
As a moderator of the main page for the hunt, I'm not going to weigh in on this. But, wow, if you like interesting stuff: This is fascinating stuff:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1182128925289925/

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 8, 2020

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Drunk Nerds posted:

As a moderator of the main page for the hunt, I'm not going to weigh in on this. But, wow, if you like interesting stuff: This is fascinating stuff:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1182128925289925/

I've been really enjoying reacting with haha faces to the people who want to sue

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
So what happened to the guy who allegedly found a casque under a baseball plate a few months back?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Xotl posted:

So what happened to the guy who allegedly found a casque under a baseball plate a few months back?

https://www.discovery.com/shows/expedition-unknown/expedition-unknown--the-secret-treasure-found-in-boston-pictures

CarpenterWalrus
Mar 30, 2010

The Lazy Satanist
You guys crack the case yet or what

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...
Sometimes a really good person
Something cracked recently.

It wasn't the case though.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
The comments section for the post from the Tribute hunt creator (about replacing the casque with a more generic set of instructions on how to redeem the prize) has taken quite the turn, lately:

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Mar 11, 2020

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Drunk Nerds posted:

The comments section for the post from the Tribute hunt creator (about replacing the casque with a more generic set of instructions on how to redeem the prize) has taken quite the turn, lately:

So that’s what your “be nice” mod post was all about lol people are frickin nut jobs (but you definitely know that already)

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Is there somewhere to read a synopsis of this tribute thing? I sort of keep up with the original cask stories but I dont know anything about this mess or what the drama is about.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

ChesterJT posted:

Is there somewhere to read a synopsis of this tribute thing? I sort of keep up with the original cask stories but I dont know anything about this mess or what the drama is about.

a guy who was way into the secret (his initial are JM, and that's how most people refer to him) and co-hosted a podcast about it decided to do a "tribute" by making a treasure hunt of his own in the same style. he wrote a clue thing, got the original artist's son to do a new painting, and got a casque made that he supposedly buried. that was over a year ago and no one's found it yet. then something weird happened where he was "tricked" into posting some photos that weren't supposed to be released and there was personal drama between him and a guy that "took over" his podcast. So JM got fed up and decided that he was going to keep the casque himself, calling into question whether he had even buried it in the first place. now people don't give a poo poo anymore and are mad. the end.

edit: I mixed up some people

Crusty Nutsack fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 11, 2020

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Crusty Nutsack posted:

a guy who was way into the secret and ran a podcast about it (aka burnstyle on these here forums) decided to do a "tribute" by making a treasure hunt of his own in the same style. he wrote a clue thing, got the original artist's son to do a new painting, and got a casque made that he supposedly buried. that was over a year ago and no one's found it yet. then something weird happened where he was "tricked" into posting some photos that weren't supposed to be released and there was personal drama between burnstyle and some guy that "took over" his podcast. So burnstyle got fed up and decided that he was going to keep the casque himself, calling into question whether he had even buried it in the first place. now people don't give a poo poo anymore and are mad. the end.

Thanks for this, I was trying to navigate the parfait of confusion and hate that the FB page became, and I wasn't sure I was getting the parties and very recent history right!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
And Urban Smurf was thiiiiiis close to solving it, too :smith:

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Nocheez posted:

And Urban Smurf was thiiiiiis close to solving it, too :smith:

I don't know that urban smurf ever gave a poo poo about the tribute one? only the original book hunts. I don't blame him considering afaik burnstyle isn't a professional puzzle putter togetherer person (those people exist apparently lol)

and supposedly there's still something buried in the tribute one that people can find, it's just most people are too angry to care now

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Crusty Nutsack posted:

a guy who was way into the secret and ran a podcast about it (aka burnstyle on these here forums) decided to do a "tribute" by making a treasure hunt of his own in the same style. he wrote a clue thing, got the original artist's son to do a new painting, and got a casque made that he supposedly buried. that was over a year ago and no one's found it yet. then something weird happened where he was "tricked" into posting some photos that weren't supposed to be released and there was personal drama between burnstyle and some guy that "took over" his podcast. So burnstyle got fed up and decided that he was going to keep the casque himself, calling into question whether he had even buried it in the first place. now people don't give a poo poo anymore and are mad. the end.

You have some names mixed up there. Burnstyle posts here but JM was the other guy on the podcast and the one who ran the tribute puzzle and I guess who bugged out?

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

BigFactory posted:

You have some names mixed up there.

edit: I got some people mixed up!

Crusty Nutsack fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 11, 2020

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I thought burnstyle and JM are the same person? so burnstyle is the one who "stole" the podcast from JM then?

JM hasn’t been on it since the tribute puzzle launched, so I guess he sees it that way. I’m not up on the gossip.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

BigFactory posted:

JM hasn’t been on it since the tribute puzzle launched, so I guess he sees it that way. I’m not up on the gossip.

it's what JM has said repeatedly in the tribute group, I have no idea about any of that drama and don't really care. but it seemed to play a role in this whole thing about JM keeping the casque so I included it in the summary

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Crusty Nutsack posted:

it's what JM has said repeatedly in the tribute group, I have no idea about any of that drama and don't really care. but it seemed to play a role in this whole thing about JM keeping the casque so I included it in the summary

They’re definitely two different people.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Wait so JM was the guy that started the podcast and the tribute, and then burnstyle "stole it"?

Listen just tell me who the rear end in a top hat is.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

BigFactory posted:

They’re definitely two different people.

if so, my mistake. I edited the names out of my post for the moment. burnstyle can feel free to clear it up if he wants

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...
Hello.
I am not JM.
Jm didn't start the podcast, it was built by a team, though he and I were the hosts.
He created the tribute, then hosed up the tribute all by himself.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

burnstyle posted:

Hello.
I am not JM.
Jm didn't start the podcast, it was built by a team, though he and I were the hosts.

sorry for the mixup! thanks for clarifying. I will make sure things are edited

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Thanks for clarifying, burnstyle. What were the photos that he put out? Something loosely informative and clue-y (I assume) or, like, shops of the new painting but the lady has a boob out? In his huge post he made it sound like a Spetznas-level psyop was rolled out with perfect timing to trick him into entering a web of intrigue.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

burnstyle posted:

Hello.
I am not JM.

Out of all the crazies this thing seems to have attracted, you seem to maintain some balance, so could you give us a run down as to what the Hell actually happened and the events leading up to it?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

DeNofa posted:

Listen just tell me who the rear end in a top hat is.

Goon solidarity. JM is the rear end in a top hat.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
A lot of the tribute hunters have posted concern that JM got the original casque from the original artist for the original hunt. So there's a lot of sentimental value that got taken off of the table.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

BigFactory posted:

Goon solidarity. JM is the rear end in a top hat.

Sure why not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...
Sure. But it's kind of a long story.
A few years back a team was created to work on the secret. It was composed of one vet who lived in each of the casques cities. (This will be important later)
The idea was to combine our information and more easily solve the puzzle because any question we had about any city could be answered by another member.
Eventually we decided to make a podcast, so that we could put all the research out into the world. So we did. Each episode was a compilation of information from whatever member lived in that city (aside from Boston, but that's a whole other drama filled story).
During all this no one member was more important that another. It was a true team, and was honestly one of the most fun years I have spent in this hunt.

Anyway.

A few months into the podcast JM and I were approached by a production company wanting to base a show around the secret.
Which ended in a surprising and drama filled fashion (again, a story for another time)

One of the selling points for the show was IT would include a treasure hunt. Each episode a clue would be secretly released, at the end of the season if you figured them all out you could dig up a prize or whatever.
Once the TV show ended JM decided to create a hunt. We had JoEllen Trilling on the podcast and after recording he asked her if he could have her Original casque so he could create a hunt in tribute to Byron.

And... Everything went ok.

The team was still together, we were all helping with the tribute hunt in one way or another, but it was JMs baby and we let him have it.

At some point JM decided he wanted to take a year off and focus on the tribute, then shortly decided he wanted to leave the secret all together.

He said his goodbyes on the podcast, wrote a long article on mysterious writings about how his departure was "the end of an era" for the secret... And that was it. He left.

And the world kept spinning. The podcast kept coming out, progress kept being made. No one seemed to care that he left.

Suddenly he started popping back up on facebook, going on long rants about how "everything" was stolen from him. The podcast, the Facebook groups, everything.

His friends would try to reason with him but it never worked. For instance. He went on a long public rants about how I removed and blocked him from all the Facebook groups. Matt (maltedfalcon) posted screenshots of the modlog to his rants showing that he left himself and had never been blocked, so JM would remove and block Matt, then lump Matt in with the "thrives taking everything from him"

On and on this went until JM had maybe 3 people who were still able to talk to him. And one of them was about to severely piss him off.

Shortly after the tribute puzzle was released, someone solved... Like 3/4 of it. I'm talking days after it was released. The solution so far was sent to JM (the person who solved it happened to be one of the people still speaking to him)
Then about a week later we made a podcast episode about the tribute saying it was close to being solved. A week or so after that a group of hunters posted a photo of themselves in Louisville, standing in front of one of the main clues in the tribute.

Jm was pissed. He sent a message to the person who first sent him the solution and called the hunters in the photo morons. Jm said there was no way that team would have been able to find the city without being given the solution, and he blamed the person who had sent it to him.

Shortly thereafter JM posted a selfie in the casque park.

A year or so goes by and nothing really happens. People narrow down on the tribute dig spot, but no one can find the casque.

Continued on next page...

burnstyle fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 12, 2020