Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Prototype is basically that, but as an open-world brawlershooter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Cardiovorax posted:

Prototype is basically that, but as an open-world brawlershooter.

I was just thinking of that game this week. Real sad they didn't make Prototype 3.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Bogart posted:

This is just MGS2

Yes, but the horror would be the comedic twist of “Our bio weapons program is a total wash and gigantic failure. By complete coincidence, however, we succeeded in creating super soldiers out of the civilians who suffered immensely under our corporate number-chasing, so we’re going to PIVOT and pretend that was the idea all along”

Say it with me - Umbrella the tech bro startup

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Next Outlast announced. Despite the teaser image it's not a VR game.

https://twitter.com/TheRedBarrels/status/1202226475883040769

Maybe this one will have less rapey plots.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Maybe I'm off but what I've seen of the Outlast games, they're basically "what if Blair Witch, Saw, and Generic Mental Hospital #38438743743659120323482930" combined into one gross snuff-fetish package, so I doubt 3 will do anything but be worse

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
This time they cut your dick off... and make you eat it!!!’

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

al-azad posted:

As if. Dicks and rape as backstory are basically the defining attributes of that IP.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

al-azad posted:

Next Outlast announced. Despite the teaser image it's not a VR game.

https://twitter.com/TheRedBarrels/status/1202226475883040769

I kinda wonder if this is going to be the next Dead By Daylight.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Skyscraper posted:

It does sound like a multiplayer game. IDK I would play a multiplayer SAW.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Skyscraper posted:

Possibly, but it would be the fourth or fifth attempt now! Meanwhile Dead By Daylight is going strong with too much licensed and original content to really consider being threatened.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Speaking of SAW games, has anyone else here ever heard of this old RPG Maker game where you play as a serial killer and have to construct basement dungeons filled with traps and kill people you abducted so you can get internet likes? I think there was an LP of it. The entire concept is incredibly weird, but somehow story came together surprisingly well. The whole thing ends up making some kind of point about the value of art in the eye of the artist as opposed to how it is received by critics... or something.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
It is multiplayer, I saw the news a bit earlier. I really don't understand "we have a well-loved single player series, let's make the next one multiplayer" trend that keeps on happening. Doubly so with something like Outlast.

Edit: Well, I understand it but it seems like it works out extremely rarely.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

catlord posted:

Haha yeah I think it comes down to "oh poo poo these other companies are making BANK on lootboxes and microtransactions, how can we get in on that"

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Skyscraper posted:

I was just thinking of that game this week. Real sad they didn't make Prototype 3.

I loved the mission in prototype 2 where you kidnap a group of eugenicists and even Heller doesnt want to eat them, so he kills them in a helicopter crash

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Poulpe posted:

Possibly, but it would be the fourth or fifth attempt now! Meanwhile Dead By Daylight is going strong with too much licensed and original content to really consider being threatened.

It has a lot of content, but I suspect that gameplay isn't getting any fresher.

catlord posted:

It is multiplayer, I saw the news a bit earlier. I really don't understand "we have a well-loved single player series, let's make the next one multiplayer" trend that keeps on happening. Doubly so with something like Outlast.

This might be the first Outlast game I end up liking, just because it'll probably have less writing, and be more of a saw knockoff without actually using the writing from that also.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

I loved the mission in prototype 2 where you kidnap a group of eugenicists and even Heller doesnt want to eat them, so he kills them in a helicopter crash

I always really liked sneaking around and accusing people of being me.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

catlord posted:

You can’t sell skins to people if there aren’t other players to show off too!:homebrew:

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
why the hell would you put microtransactions in a horror game like outlast

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Imagine the jumpscares when that EULA pops up for the first time.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
If that Outlast game is a 4 on 1 DbD clone I hope there's a dedicated "BUDDY!" button when you play as Trager.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

drkeiscool posted:

why the hell would you put microtransactions in a horror game like outlast

They've switched genres to metahorror

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
green hell is balls hard

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

Speaking of SAW games, has anyone else here ever heard of this old RPG Maker game where you play as a serial killer and have to construct basement dungeons filled with traps and kill people you abducted so you can get internet likes? I think there was an LP of it. The entire concept is incredibly weird, but somehow story came together surprisingly well. The whole thing ends up making some kind of point about the value of art in the eye of the artist as opposed to how it is received by critics... or something.

I have played way too many crappy RPG Maker horror games, but never heard of anything like this. I'd be really curious to hear yhe name of it.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I thought the Saw game that already exists (XBOX 360?) was surprisingly good. I never saw any of the movies but I did enjoy the puzzles and stuff in the game.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
I remember it having quite a few annoyances, and also at that point I really was over SaW's cynical edgelord poo poo, but yeah, by today's standards it was a really solid game.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The sequel game's ending is bullshit but in a way that I think is funny even if all it really does is further drive home that the whole "jigsaw is trying to teach you a lesson, it is your own fault you died" thing is utter bullshit because the games are always designed with the idea that someone is going to die.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Big Mad Drongo posted:

I have played way too many crappy RPG Maker horror games, but never heard of anything like this. I'd be really curious to hear yhe name of it.
I wish I could remember it, because it was really unique and well-executed even if the concept is edgy as gently caress. I only remember that the final line of the game, after you kill a fellow serial killer and friend, is "for that one, I give myself five stars."

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

Cardiovorax posted:

I wish I could remember it, because it was really unique and well-executed even if the concept is edgy as gently caress. I only remember that the final line of the game, after you kill a fellow serial killer and friend, is "for that one, I give myself five stars."

Game is Beautiful Escape: Dungeoneer. Here's the final line too.

e: thought this was the what's that game thread, not the horror thread, so let me just take this opportunity to remember Routine. RIP in space

dregan fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Dec 6, 2019

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I always liked that in Manhunt. That your ratings for levels were a review of the snuff film you just made.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

dregan posted:

Game is Beautiful Escape: Dungeoneer. Here's the final line too.

e: thought this was the what's that game thread, not the horror thread, so let me just take this opportunity to remember Routine. RIP in space
Thank you very much, that has been bothering me.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

FirstAidKite posted:

The sequel game's ending is bullshit but in a way that I think is funny even if all it really does is further drive home that the whole "jigsaw is trying to teach you a lesson, it is your own fault you died" thing is utter bullshit because the games are always designed with the idea that someone is going to die.

It took them until Saw 6 for someone to tell Kramer "Actually for every person you put in a trap for an ostensible reason, you murder someone else just to make a point"

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

WatermelonGun posted:

this is the honestly the only dog stuff i remember from the silent hill series

the straw animals from 4 don’t count and also these are my favorite dogs not bad flesh monster dogs

al-azad
May 28, 2009

They quickly transitioned from Jigsaw to his more malicious apprentices because you can't keep up with the "I'm not a murderer if I hand you a live grenade" shtick and still have the audience like the villain.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Anyone playing Door In The Woods? Spent a couple hours with it so far and it's a very cool survival horror roguelike. A lot of the fun comes in figuring out its systems so I'm hesitant to detail out the gameplay too much, but it's very tense and spooky and manages to be pretty loving creepy!

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I was hoping somebody else had started playing it, I'm having a lot of trouble finding food and most of my combat has been throwing my gun at zombies. I'm assume if you kill a dog you get to eat it afterwards, so I think that'll be my goal next time

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
The hunger clock is pretty generous and the first stages of hunger/thirst are actually buffs that give you better stamina regen as you grow desperate. The patch that dropped yesterday added another food item to the pool with a pretty cute effect too -- potato chips -- no sanity downside like eating dog food or moldy bread, but opening the bag is really noisy and can alert nearby enemies to your position. I will say that when trying to survive in this game, you usually don't have the resources to do so "perfectly" -- you want to be eating cooked food when possible and boiling water when you're able to, but insisting on doing so all the time will probably get you killed. Eat some old dog food and get filled with despair, drink some dirty swampwater and realize there's something new wriggling around in your stomach, hunt some stray cats (definitely hunt some stray cats)

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

DO NOT HUNT CAT

ULTHAR REMEMBERS

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

al-azad posted:

They quickly transitioned from Jigsaw to his more malicious apprentices because you can't keep up with the "I'm not a murderer if I hand you a live grenade" shtick and still have the audience like the villain.

There's a reason a bunch of Amanda's perks in Dead By Daylight is making the traps more and more stacked in her favor

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It's official. R3make is a ripoff of Call of Cthulhu Dark Corners of the Earth. Look at this scene taken straight from the inn escape sequence c'mon Capcom!

https://twitter.com/RE_Games/status/1204406678373814274

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Tyrant got a hat. I want Nemesis to have a hat too. Like, I dunno. A stovepipe hat. Or a baseball cap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Black August posted:

Tyrant got a hat. I want Nemesis to have a hat too. Like, I dunno. A stovepipe hat. Or a baseball cap.

Top hat and monocle?