Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

my posting persona is eternal

and constipated
fuckin’ same. but i do my bitching in the tcc kratom thread, where it’s always on topic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

mystes posted:

Maybe they insist on running build servers on os x vm's rather than having a secret linux port of their toolchain but they still are willing to use some standard hypervisor?

that would be a fascinating outcome, which is why i asked

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the license allows virtualization

just, i wouldn't have guessed apple would be virtualizing things on linux, where virtio is useful for talking to the host.

does the macos native virt stuff support virtio ?

the macOS Hypervisor.framework is just the bits you need to implement virtualization efficiently in user space, without a kernel extension, it doesn’t contain implementations of any virtual devices

xhyve is a fork of bhyve atop Hypervisor.framework so it does have devices, I think QEMU and Parallels also support it, same with Docker

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Tankakern posted:

and, for the first time i've found a subject in which the arch wiki is outdated - current state of optimus on linux. fedora's got you covered: https://rpmfusion.org/Howto/Optimus

actual feature parity with windows, finally

tested it now! i had to replace my xorg.conf (wouldn't be the authentic linux experience otherwise) but now i can set and forget some env variables in my steam.desktop and game away to my heart's content

cool

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
idk I kind of like that raspberries pi have protected memory and network support

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

im curious if anyone has ever managed to use TempleOS and HolyC professionally

e: the lack of networking support would be a problem I guess

maybe could be done by running it in a VM and writing an interface layer to the host OS?

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Dec 2, 2019

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Private Speech posted:

im curious if anyone has ever managed to use TempleOS and HolyC professionally

e: the lack of networking support would be a problem I guess

maybe could be done by running it in a VM and writing an interface layer to the host OS?

Well, good news! https://github.com/minexew/Shrine

klafbang fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 2, 2019

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
HolyC is an excellent pun at least

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

i see michael keeps us posted over what esr is up to

The GCC Git Conversion Heats Up With Hopes Of Converting Over The Holidays

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

an almost arbitrarily bad import in 2017 (when the effort started), as long as it got the tips of branches correct, would by now be way better than this mess.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
is linux on the desktop yet?

mystes
May 31, 2006

pram posted:

We still have 23 days.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

pram posted:

yes. we did it, we can stop now

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

it must not be that important because otherwise someone competent would come along and do it

mystes
May 31, 2006

akadajet posted:

it must not be that important because otherwise someone competent would come along and do it
It's called clang, op.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Isn't clang still on Subversion? Maybe they could ask esr to lend a hand.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

no, they switched to git

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

akadajet posted:

someone earlier this year did take over doing it, and ESR is very loudly whining about how they don't trust it

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Beamed posted:

someone earlier this year did take over doing it, and ESR is very loudly whining about how they don't trust it

lol seems the new guy quickly whipped up some scripts and is closer to achieving a usable conversion than esr

reminder that esr has farted around for two years and begged up enough donations to build a really big computer (lots of cores and ram) which he claimed was required to make progress on the conversion

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Didn't the other dude literally just use the standard svn to git import scripts that come with git, and this yielded something that was basically usable?

Apparently that is not galaxy brained enough for ESR, who managed to find the one real world situation where some dumb algorithms and data structures interview question optimization wank needed to be done (if you ignore the inconvenient fact that git-svn already exists) and then proceeded to poo poo his pants in front of everyone

Like what was the big complexity surrounding this import job? Anything in particular about GCC's development processes that require a nonstandard solution?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Sapozhnik posted:

Didn't the other dude literally just use the standard svn to git import scripts that come with git, and this yielded something that was basically usable?

nah apparently he only uses it for a minor part of the conversion and the rest is his own scripts

this is what esr is hand-wringing about btw, in his mind the fact that the pre existing migration tool falls over on a repository like gcc means it can’t be trusted at all and even minor use of it taints the conversion. instead you should trust esr’s dilatory wanking around in python that he later translated to go (for performance (lol it’s still slow because esr is bad at this))

quote:

Like what was the big complexity surrounding this import job? Anything in particular about GCC's development processes that require a nonstandard solution?

a lot of the issues have to do with subversion being poop from a butt. the prebuilt conversion tool assumes popular conventions about how svn projects are structured and branched, and is doomed to fail on anything as old and big as the gcc repo since its guaranteed that with that much history, many people did many nonstandard things

reminder that translating svn’s notion of branches to git is nontrivial because svn doesn’t really have branches, just ~special~ subtree copies. if you’ve never used it, branching is literally a svn command to recursive copy a subtree you want to branch, while invisibly marking it such that it can later merge to/from the original subtree. since svn just has all branches live at the equivalent of git HEAD, and each “branch” covers only a subset of the files in the repo, it’s easy to see why anything which breaks conventions for branch structure could be difficult to migrate to git branches in a sensible way

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

i've tried to use git-svn on several occasions and every time it fell over, due to issues described already or because svn decided that certain revs were forbidden to speak of. which hosed up the import ofc. happily it was never my responsibility to fix anything so that's all i know about that

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

quote:

if you’ve never used it

look man

i was young and I needed the money

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
is esrs plan to literally load every single commit into memory before converting?

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I must be missing something because the implication of that article is he was hamstrung for several months due to the lack of ram for his personal computer, which may be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

abigserve posted:

I must be missing something because the implication of that article is he was hamstrung for several months due to the lack of ram for his personal computer, which may be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard

does it make more sense if you read it as a justification given by esr for his lack of progress

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
no, because esr is barely even the one writing reposurgeon. he's the least active team member by far lol

https://gitlab.com/esr/reposurgeon/commits/master

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

no, because esr is barely even the one writing reposurgeon. he's the least active team member by far lol

https://gitlab.com/esr/reposurgeon/commits/master

5,935 commits
:eyepop:

at some point you gotta step back and think hey maybe this is the wrong way to go about an svn to git migration

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

reposurgeon seems an initially simple project having gone way way out of scope, ton of complexity parsing raw svn data with various heuristics and fixups not necessarily to fit git, but to fit details of the internal model of reposurgeon. seems like if one were to go through all this effort step 1 should probably have been to fork svn which has the by-definition-correct code for all that already.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
How is esr seen by the people who actually work with him? I don't mean the weird cult-ish and bizarrely numerous commenters on his blog, but people like the GCC and Emacs developers.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
read up on esr’s involvement with ncurses, fetchmail, and ntpd

here’s a taste

quote:

Eric's response was to make an (unspecified) threat.

eschaton fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Dec 10, 2019

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
someone refused to merge a ncurse patch from esr bc it was garbage:

quote:

Eric replied, saying

You have no right to do this,
for I am an author of ncurses,
and you are not.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Zlodo posted:

someone refused to merge a ncurse patch from esr bc it was garbage:

lömãrf

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

echaton: seems like the graphics guy, vetter, shares your concerns about linux abis, at least for the graphics subsystem

https://blog.ffwll.ch/2019/12/upstream-too-little-too-late.html

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

eschaton posted:

here’s a taste

Pretty funny that RMS of all people had to step in and be the adult, in particular giving social advice on how to cater to ESRs ego.

Actually, that last bit surprises me a little. ESR has unwarranted ideas about his own ability, but I never felt he was defensive about them. He has very little insecurity, and is instead just deluded.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

eschaton posted:

here’s a taste

lol wow esr is even worse than I thought. he’s the IRL version of that comic where the guy says “I made this”

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Tankakern posted:

echaton: seems like the graphics guy, vetter, shares your concerns about linux abis, at least for the graphics subsystem

https://blog.ffwll.ch/2019/12/upstream-too-little-too-late.html

The graphics supernova will not last forever and is already coming to an end. Each vendor's 2019 model looks a lot like their 2015 model, rtx gimmickry notwithstanding.

CLASS 2 PERVERSION
Jan 19, 2010
after like 4 years using arch linux i've come to the conclusion that it's a piece of poo poo and pacman has got to be the shittest package manager of em all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
i don't know exactly when NVIDIA is going to write off rtx as a failure, like they did 3D displays and VR and all those other things. it should be happening soon though.