Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

madeintaipei posted:

I finally learned the name for these crazy-rear end spiders here in Florida: Spiny orb-weavers, also called a crab spider colloquially. Love crebs, hate spiders, but I don't gently caress with them things. Too weird, too cool.

Bunches of them live on the big oak in the front yard, gotta spray 'em off the truck in the morning.

Spiny orb weavers are awesome, but their predilection for spinning their webs over the top third of my sliding glass doors is getting old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Cambridge Declaration on Consciousness posted:

The absence of a neocortex does not appear to preclude an organism from experiencing affective states. Convergent evidence indicates that non-human animals have the neuroanatomical, neurochemical, and neurophysiological substrates of conscious states along with the capacity to exhibit intentional behaviors. Consequently, the weight of evidence indicates that humans are not unique in possessing the neurological substrates that generate consciousness. Non-human animals, including all mammals and birds, and many other creatures, including octopuses, also possess these neurological substrates.

crabs got feelings, it's been scientifically proven. Countries are starting to explicitly elevate crabs up to bird & mammal level in their ethics laws

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

MrYenko posted:

Spiny orb weavers are awesome, but their predilection for spinning their webs over the top third of my sliding glass doors is getting old.

I think they are hiding from the larger translucent spiders all over my truck, so they go from the oak to under the window visors. Good thing no one is around in the morning to see me freak out.

gently caress, one is on the back of my neck right now. AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
re: crabs got feels
apparently the base adaptations required to consciously subjectively experience existence "predate invertebrate radiation." Having a brain or a particularly large cerebral ganglion may not even be needed??

Even stuff like the mirror test seems to be an artifact of human and ape visual acuity. Less visually focused animals like dogs can provably recognize themselves through other tests.

Really looking like almost all animals are actually just extremely dumb people, or even just moderately dumb people (or, tbh, smart people). Even some bugs, such as the noble crab.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Even stuff like the mirror test seems to be an artifact of human and ape visual acuity. Less visually focused animals like dogs can provably recognize themselves through other tests.

I don't think vision has much to do with it. Dogs and other sighted animals can clearly see themselves just fine in a mirror, but the mirror test is inherently flawed because it's designed with a fairly characteristic "think/act like a human" win condition.

Edit: Wait sorry I misunderstood you. I realize now that you meant that (e.g.) dogs rely less on vision for identifying others, not that they necessarily have bad eyesight.

Anyway crabs own and I fully support elevating them to personhood

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 7, 2019

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

Anyway crabs own and I fully support elevating them to personhood

Very well. You will be spared the worst in future. We will even allow dogs, but only with rubber-bands over the muzzle.

Also, of course dogs recognize themselves. They sleep huffing their own rear end-smell.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

Attenborough is basically top 10 greatest humans of all time but that video skeeved me out because I hate their weird gross crab booties

crabime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2uUwjIshzo

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

I remember reading a while back that jumping spiders forced them to rethink some of the ways they testing things and the whole visual bias because some of them test better in things like visually based puzzles and spacial intelligence than many complex mammals.

Anyways I agree that crabs own and should be elevated to personhood and allowed to run for office.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

poo poo I’m a cranibbal.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

I don't think vision has much to do with it. Dogs and other sighted animals can clearly see themselves just fine in a mirror, but the mirror test is inherently flawed because it's designed with a fairly characteristic "think/act like a human" win condition.

Edit: Wait sorry I misunderstood you. I realize now that you meant that (e.g.) dogs rely less on vision for identifying others, not that they necessarily have bad eyesight.

The mirror test is about whether an animal recognizes that that other doggie in the weird glass is them, or just some other doggie. For decades it was thought to represent the ability of a "higher intelligence" animal to understand their own self as a distinct entity, or some such nonsense. Notably, human babies do not pass the mirror test until they reach a certain age, so this was also used along with lots of other evidence to form various theories about human mental development.

Latterly, science increasingly accepts that... well, the nature of consciousness is just way more complicated than that and the mirror test, while still very interesting, is completely inconclusive and often highly misleading.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Only humans have the hubris to claim they are first among animals

The humble crab has no such delusions

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also I'm glad that Krabby is in the new Pokemon game

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Wait, is it true that crabs can't get fat? I guess I've never really seen a fat crab. Do they just get buff when they eat more?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Wait, is it true that crabs can't get fat? I guess I've never really seen a fat crab. Do they just get buff when they eat more?

Dungies just store fat in their main shell. It’s a yellow goop around their gills. I’ve seen skinny crabs with low amount of meat after molting with thin shells.

waggles
Jul 21, 2011

Here to spread frog love.
Fallen Rib

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

gently caress the low tide boys. I’ll eat every last one of them.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

LingcodKilla posted:

gently caress the low tide boys. I’ll eat every last one of them.

my dude keep it down do you want to start a loving gang war??

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
carapace crew represent

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

crebs

invlwhen
Jul 28, 2012

please do your best
claws upraised

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Be the claw feel the claw

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I like crabs and I think they rule hard and maybe they even feel feelings, but I'm not gonna stop eating them. To me that's just all the more reason to dispatch our protein sources in the fastest and most humane way possible no matter what animal it is. Quick and least painful is the way everything should die.

Like I hunt deer occasionally, but I won't take a shot at an animal unless I know it will make a quick kill. Same goes for every critter we eat. It should always be as quick and painless as we possibly can manage.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The deer posts are great to wander into. You get a crusty penthouse magazine and a certain relief that beavers are going to flood it.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

This is doubly funny because Crips absolutely hate being called crabs. That's the worst thing you can call a Crip.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

creb

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Cute little stone crab. Have him back for dinner when he packs on a pound.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Stone crabs rule and harvesting their claws kinda weirds me out.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Honky Dong Country posted:

Ugh I forget that was an east coast practice. I mean they will survive but seems needlessly cruel.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Honky Dong Country posted:

It’s fine, just hit ‘em with some radiation.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

LingcodKilla posted:

Ugh I forget that was an east coast practice. I mean they will survive but seems needlessly cruel.

Quite a bit of evidence (especially the very low rates of regenerated claws being seen on individuals caught again) point to single claw removal not being as good for the fishery as once thought. In Florida, double-claw removal is legal, but FWC still mentions that a double-amputee crab will have very little chance in the wild. However, even in laboratory conditions (ample food, no predation) single-amputee crabs still have a ~25% chance of not making it. I’ve seen one paper that claims mandatory double-removal and an overall quota set at the current average yearly output would actually improve the health of the fishery, since there’s a solid chance you’re throwing a perfectly good claw into the ocean, attached to a crab that isn’t going to make it.

:(

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

If we're gonna eat stone crab claws it should just be a quota and the crab should just be killed and both claws harvested rather than letting the poor fucker slowly starve.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

On the west coast I have caught crabs with no claws who otherwise looked healthy and active but I’ve always tossed them back.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
no claw creb:

no creb claw:

extra claw creb:

(she's called Clawdette :3: )

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

ekuNNN posted:

no creb claw:

:captainpop:

What did that come off of?!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Big rear end lobster, looks like

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

I don’t think our no-claw buddy up there is gonna make it dudes :(

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

LingcodKilla posted:

Cute little stone crab. Have him back for dinner when he packs on a pound.

I actually haven't gone out and pulled stones in a really long time. Mostly I just count 'em now. Interesting stuff about the claw removal though. Lotta folks are operating under the assumption it grows back, around here at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

I don’t think our no-claw buddy up there is gonna make it dudes :(

They can graze on suboptimal food source. Red rocks eat primarily barnacles (related) by crushing them but are capable of grazing on plant material and scavenging protein.