Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Omi no Kami posted:

So the troll challenge is honestly the most anti-fun thing I have ever seen in an idle game. If your intent was to make me stop playing your game, you succeeded admirably. :)

New quote for the in-game description

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Xtanstic posted:

Ironically, after you get more experience with Troll, it ends up being one of the funner ones compared to the lovely grind.

The general tip for Troll is to consider it a speedrun and that you should be knocking one off in 30ish minutes. 1 hour upper limit probably. Rebirth every Big Troll. If you can't do it under those conditions, quit the challenge and come back when you are stronger (more E/M and NGUs)

Thanks for the advice, but I think I'm going to throw in the towel- at its best NGU is really awesome (and I appreciate the heck out of all the work Something is putting into the game and its community), but it's done several things that really severely rub me the wrong way. I've found constantly resetting my number for obnoxious and frustrating challenges and spending days leaving the game running tedious nonsense to go from badly drawn world to whatever the next one is to be really unengaging, and since nearly everything I've heard implies that I haven't even discovered the real grind yet, this feels like as good a time as any to give it up. :)

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

something posted:

Okay I lied and belted this overhaul out today. The change is happening for this upcoming update in a week. There's an rc in my testing grounds on kongregate if you guys would be willing to test! Info on what i changed is on the dirscord but tl;dr:

All 20/25 max completion challenges are now 5
24hour challenge is now max of 10
challenges rewards all scaled upwards accordingly
no rebirth target got shifted up 5 on top of the scaling multiplier.

fake edit: your current completion counts will also be converted to an approximate equivalent, you MAY lose a little bit of bonus stats from said challenges depending on how it rounded.

any questions, just lemme know.

:swoon: fantastic!

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Omi no Kami posted:

Thanks for the advice, but I think I'm going to throw in the towel- at its best NGU is really awesome (and I appreciate the heck out of all the work Something is putting into the game and its community), but it's done several things that really severely rub me the wrong way. I've found constantly resetting my number for obnoxious and frustrating challenges and spending days leaving the game running tedious nonsense to go from badly drawn world to whatever the next one is to be really unengaging, and since nearly everything I've heard implies that I haven't even discovered the real grind yet, this feels like as good a time as any to give it up. :)

Fair enough. I'll say this though: I felt the same way with number resetting and challenge grinds. The early game trains you to treat Number as the most important resource, then you are suddenly expected to chuck it out. It feels bad on a psychological level. If I didn't start hanging out in the Goon Discord, I would definitely have quit the game within a month. The channel puts a lot of the more obtuse game mechanics into perspective and helps a lot with "yeah forget that ignore it just do x, y, z". When that fails, you can just complain to 4G directly. :v:

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

Omi no Kami posted:

K bye

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I like the part of NGU where the numbers go up

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

After doing this event in idle champions, I'd rather just pay 20 bucks next time and skip it all together. I think I finally understand idle games.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
You have transcended from idle to meta-idle.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Omi no Kami posted:

Sure. One thing I want to mention is that the game gives you a way to really easily build that number back up. The Reverse Hitler beard and the Magic NGU Number thing makes it really easy to get back to where you were number-wise, and your blood production gets going once you start investing more in magic and that lets you dump a casual trillion or so into Blood Number Boost.

Also

quote:

spending days leaving the game running

It's an idle game. You're not supposed to stare at it all day. You just leave it running in the background and check in every so often. If you're into the whole very active part of the idle game, you should probably just play a normal game where it's very active the whole time. Maybe like an MMO or something? FFXIV is really fun.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I'm the guy mad about idle mechanics in an idle game

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

To be fair the idle genre has become broad enough that there's a bunch of games that classify as "idle" but have constant progress so long as you're willing to sit there clicking. Heck, stuff like the big OG Cookie Clicker practically only had any real progress if you did so.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Infinity Gaia posted:

To be fair the idle genre has become broad enough that there's a bunch of games that classify as "idle" but have constant progress so long as you're willing to sit there clicking. Heck, stuff like the big OG Cookie Clicker practically only had any real progress if you did so.

That's why there needs to be a split between a clicker and an idle game. There are still pure clickers made to this day. I don't get the appeal there is ALWAYS a sticky about running an auto clicker and math for goals taking months while clicking as fast as possible 24/7. No way in hell are these intended to be played with anything but an auto clicker, so why have it at all? Which is kind of what a pure idle game is.

Anything that tries to balance clicks quickly gets called boring and easy and the auto clicker vs manual groups get into giant arguments on your forum.

I'm just glad idle games stopped having that 1-2 hour period of required auto clicking before you unlock the actual idle mechanic and never need to click again. That was a really dumb compromise, you either liked the first few hours and hated the rest or trudged through the first few hours to get to the good part.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
Ideally there should be as little difference as possible between having the game closed and having the game open but not touching anything. Redistributing resources, allocating points, and changing equipment sets are all active play, and that doing those things will give you more progress than sitting on the game for a day isn't the question here.

NGU is pretty good about tracking offline progress in some way for everything except drops, and whoops, that's by far the most important thing in the game. I understand it would be prohibitively difficult to track drops (mainly due to inventory problems) but I wish it gave you something like a lootbox for offline progress. Take the number of highest titan kills or kills in a zone and use that factor to modify the drop rate and/or dropped level of a single roll at the loot table. Or at least apply offline ITOPOD boost drops to the cube.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Bedurndurn posted:

It's an idle game. You're not supposed to stare at it all day. You just leave it running in the background and check in every so often. If you're into the whole very active part of the idle game, you should probably just play a normal game where it's very active the whole time. Maybe like an MMO or something? FFXIV is really fun.

99 idle games out of 100 I'd agree, but in NGU's case a lot of the stuff that really annoys me does so because you do have to pay more attention to it than an idle, but not actually engage as much as an active game. Some of the challenges (24-hour, troll) are the biggest offenders, and some mechanics (like boosting frequently enough to keep inventory spaces open for titan drops every 60-90 minutes) are in that weird twilight.

Francis posted:

NGU is pretty good about tracking offline progress in some way for everything except drops, and whoops, that's by far the most important thing in the game. I understand it would be prohibitively difficult to track drops (mainly due to inventory problems) but I wish it gave you something like a lootbox for offline progress. Take the number of highest titan kills or kills in a zone and use that factor to modify the drop rate and/or dropped level of a single roll at the loot table. Or at least apply offline ITOPOD boost drops to the cube.

Hmm yeah- I have no clue how NGU's code is structured, but whenever you re-open the game couldn't you just check time of last save to get offline duration, guesstimate time/enemy with power/toughness + respawn (or however it already calculates itopod progress), use (offline time/time to kill one enemy in the current zone) to figure out how many dudes you whacked, guesstimate how many of those enemies would've been bosses based on the zone's enemy composition, then roll for a drop once per boss until your inventory fills?

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Francis posted:

every X offline enemies killed gives you a key & The Looty McLootBox gives you random items from areas for an increasing number of keys (so like, 1 for a Sewer drop, 10 for Forest, 100 for Caves, just to throw out bullshit numbers)

Wishes/Perks/Quests can lower the number of kills per key

i'm kind of surprised NGU doesn't already have a lootbox parody tbh

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

oldskool posted:

every X offline enemies killed gives you a key & The Looty McLootBox gives you random items from areas for an increasing number of keys (so like, 1 for a Sewer drop, 10 for Forest, 100 for Caves, just to throw out bullshit numbers)

Wishes/Perks/Quests can lower the number of kills per key

i'm kind of surprised NGU doesn't already have a lootbox parody tbh

theres already the wheel of fortune

Omi no Kami posted:

(like boosting frequently enough to keep inventory spaces open for titan drops every 60-90 minutes) are in that weird twilight.

you know theres an auto boost feature right

it triggers at least every hour

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Dec 9, 2019

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

theres already the wheel of fortune

you know theres an auto boost feature right

it triggers at least every hour

Yeah, but at least in the zones I saw boost drops were high enough that my inventory was pretty constantly filling, and since it wasn't (to my knowledge) possible to stagger titans so that they dropped immediately after an auto-boost I tended to disable boosts entirely unless I was around at least enough to manually apply them every 10-15 minutes.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Omi no Kami posted:

Yeah, but at least in the zones I saw boost drops were high enough that my inventory was pretty constantly filling, and since it wasn't (to my knowledge) possible to stagger titans so that they dropped immediately after an auto-boost I tended to disable boosts entirely unless I was around at least enough to manually apply them every 10-15 minutes.

eh, I think with the challenge changes coming up this is actually probably going to be easier

if NRC challenges are dropping from 50 to 10 as I think I saw on the discord, and the time interval is adjusted accordingly, it's going to make automated inventory keeping pretty simple

basically 1 NRC challenge will now remove 15 minutes off a titan spawn past GRC

it means that everything is going to be basically run off of 15 minute intervals once you finish all the no-equip challenges, so you can totally set it up so you can automerge/boost just before bosses will drop their stuff and it'll always keep in phase, because the intervals will always be integer factors of the titan spawn times

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

That sounds like a neat QoL change. Really that sums up like 90% of my gripes: NGU's core loop and setup are really neat, there are just so many small, nagging quality of life things that build up over time.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
you can get the details in the previous page but the tl;dr is: all the 20/25 completion challenges got "condensed" to 5 completions, the 80 completion 24 hour challenge got condensed to 10 completions. One no equipment or whatever challenge gives the inventory spaces give *8* a pop, instead of 2.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

I skimmed the discord and saw that there was consideration of raising the boss number for 1st completion. Did that go in?

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
For no rebirth it got raised by 5 so that completion 1 = old completion 5.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

something posted:

you can get the details in the previous page but the tl;dr is: all the 20/25 completion challenges got "condensed" to 5 completions, the 80 completion 24 hour challenge got condensed to 10 completions. One no equipment or whatever challenge gives the inventory spaces give *8* a pop, instead of 2.

This is a pretty spiffy QoL fix, so thanks for being a cool dev guy :)

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

I've been playing Incremancer for a bit and it's good easy fun. You have your zombies eat brains, collecting blood, bones & brain to build more poo poo.

Until level 10, were almost every human is a cop with a gun, and you have to micromanage the thing to take out every cop, one by one.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Merijn posted:

I've been playing Incremancer for a bit and it's good easy fun. You have your zombies eat brains, collecting blood, bones & brain to build more poo poo.

Until level 10, were almost every human is a cop with a gun, and you have to micromanage the thing to take out every cop, one by one.

you prestiging?

I think i micro managed my first run up to about lvl 20. after that its mostly afk. (a few prestiges on you get to automate stuff)

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Merijn posted:

AFAIK that was just a special level, after that levels 11 and 12 were only like a dozen of police/army

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

something posted:

AFAIK that was just a special level, after that levels 11 and 12 were only like a dozen of police/army

Every level divisible by 10 has either increased police presence, or increased military presence, alternating. Levels divisible by 50 also have their own thing, but it is slightly spoilery.

On my first run through, I would probably push through 10, but I would not try to get past 20. Clearing 19 should give you enough prestige points to start picking a good number of the useful prestige bonuses. The one that gives resources every level really adds up and accelerates the early game. Things like having a few ranks of the effect that converts people to zombies in level 2 and 3, or increased speed and mana generation, really help.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Arbetor posted:

Every level divisible by 10 has either increased police presence, or increased military presence, alternating. Levels divisible by 50 also have their own thing, but it is slightly spoilery.

On my first run through, I would probably push through 10, but I would not try to get past 20. Clearing 19 should give you enough prestige points to start picking a good number of the useful prestige bonuses. The one that gives resources every level really adds up and accelerates the early game. Things like having a few ranks of the effect that converts people to zombies in level 2 and 3, or increased speed and mana generation, really help.

Ah, i prestiged at like 13, and got a couple levels of that.

As for the VIP's i missed the level 5 one and it impleid they "return to town" but when i retried level 5 no VIP showed. Have i lost it forever?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

something posted:

Ah, i prestiged at like 13, and got a couple levels of that.

As for the VIP's i missed the level 5 one and it impleid they "return to town" but when i retried level 5 no VIP showed. Have i lost it forever?

They return upon prestige. If you get the VIP, they don't come back and you keep the benefit upon prestige.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
are there any new idle games that have ends like spaceplan or universal paperclip etc etc

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

are there any new idle games that have ends like spaceplan or universal paperclip etc etc

Shark Game, kind of.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Shark Game, kind of.

i played shark game years ago. its good.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

"The Supplier's Complex" is a p fun, short idle game w/ a definite end

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Area 51 Raid Simulator, despite having a theme that was outdated before it even came out, is good and short with a number of different endings. It's more incremental than idle though.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

I;m thinking about thos Challenges

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

crime weed posted:

"The Supplier's Complex" is a p fun, short idle game w/ a definite end
This game is cute and also somehow it's an ad for a book set in the same world? That's actually a brilliant idea and I'm a big fan of that even if I have no idea if I will ever want to read the book because I did not read a single fact about it.

Crell
Nov 4, 2008

Hot Leggy Blonde, you
got it goin' on.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Kind of Alkahistorian, but its a lot less idle.

https://nagshell.github.io/elemental-inception-incremental/

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Crell posted:

Kind of Alkahistorian, but its a lot less idle.

https://nagshell.github.io/elemental-inception-incremental/

You literally linked Alkahistorian though

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

They mean Alkahistorian is kind of like Spaceplan or Universal Paperclips, not their link is kind of like Alkahistorian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

For Alk, does stage 1 proceed into stage 2? i remember getting to the end? of stage one.