Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Which one leads to Mid-World?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I'm useless, unwanted windows stacked in the yard.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

peanut posted:

I'm useless, unwanted windows stacked in the yard.

Those are for the greenhouse, I'm sure.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

What the gently caress.

Is this something randomly discovered in a regular home with an amazingly bad install of something?
How would that ever happen in the first place? It surely isn't something intentionally built.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

nielsm posted:

What the gently caress.

Is this something randomly discovered in a regular home with an amazingly bad install of something?
How would that ever happen in the first place? It surely isn't something intentionally built.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Allow me to be the first to say aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I assumed that was intentionally fabricated for some sort of test or report purpose, because I couldn't even imagine it occurring in the wild.

:stare:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I'm trying to imagine how I'd phrase myself in the call to the emergency services.

Electrical short circuit, glowing red hot gas line, imminent water heater explosion and death of everyone in the house shrapnel radius.

Where would you even start?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I'm trying to imagine how I'd phrase myself in the call to the emergency services.

Electrical short circuit, glowing red hot gas line, imminent water heater explosion and death of everyone in the house shrapnel radius.

What amazes me is the inspector took a picture. I feel like I would be more looney toons style ran away zoom lines and my 911 call would involve equal parts screaming and the words minimum safe distance. I know it's "stable" in that without air it won't ignite, but so is old crystallized tnt so long as it never experiences a shock.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

The third tweet down gives the picture source, it's from the homeowner before she called emergency services.

ENERGIZED NEUTRAL EFFECTS ON CORRUGATED
GAS SUPPLY LINES

Apparently her home got the neutral energized.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Hot gas flows super smooth.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

"Turn off the main breaker" makes a solid case for itself.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

MRC48B posted:

The third tweet down gives the picture source, it's from the homeowner before she called emergency services.

ENERGIZED NEUTRAL EFFECTS ON CORRUGATED
GAS SUPPLY LINES

This kids is why you don't play with unfused sources. :stare: That includes her first noting a "shower of sparks" raining down from her service line. Forget the main breaker, I repeat my statement about looney toons zoom lines.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

For a bit more Ahhhhh!!! that would have limited impact on this because:

MRC48B posted:

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

My Lovely Horse posted:

In this case, with neutral shorted, that's not gonna help

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Basically, take wooden-handled lob shears to the service drop to save your house*

*don't do this

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Plasma powered hot water heater.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

You know, I'm still ok with Norway's weird "two or three live phases to the wall, no neutral, provide your own ground" system. When you know both phases are live you avoid that entire class of "but that's not supposed to happen" problems ... or at least you notice the problem early. And of course, all phases have breakers. (The downside is that there is no easy way to get 400V out of it; the highest you can cobble together is the normal 230V phase/phase. I'm not an electrician, and I don't know how they provide higher voltages to people that require them.)

We also don't have piped gas, which seems sort of comforting given the only time we hear about it is when something explodes. I assume that's mostly reporting bias - nobody talks about how exciting it is that most water heaters and furnaces didn't vaporise the surrounding house(s) today. :)

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 8, 2019

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
lol @ petrostates that don’t have piped gas for themselves

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Ok, I'm dumb. Neutral gets energized and completes the circuit with ground if you shut off the main breaker since neither of those would be protected?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

stealie72 posted:

Ok, I'm dumb. Neutral gets energized and completes the circuit with ground if you shut off the main breaker since neither of those would be protected?

Yes. Pole hot to pole neutral to you panel neutral bar to panel ground hopefully to actual ground. Due to the other stuff that has other paths to ground and the basically unlimited power all of your stuff gains potential.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/cat_beltane/status/636918889155305472

couple more pics in that thread

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
That's a sidesaddle scenario

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I imagine closing the trapdoor helps a lot

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Seems handy if the pipes get clogged.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

2/2 ranch house. Excellent plumbing access.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

The freedom of swinging your legs while you poop.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

If your nightmare hole is under it then you are using the toilet wrong.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

GotLag posted:

I imagine closing the trapdoor helps a lot

I could never, ever relax on a toilet like that, even with a trapdoor and a safety harness.

I'd rather try to poop in a truckstop restroom with a busted doorlock in the shady part of town.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Default Settings posted:

I've read a study comparing the different ways of drying hands in bathrooms, and how much they contribute to the spread of germs.

The Dyson Airblade is the worst since the cold (non-sterilizing) air blast simply disperses fine water droplets in the air for the next guy to breath them in.
And in case anyone is curious: The most hygienic way of drying hands are disposable paper towels. And wiping hands on pants is better than shared towels or hot-air dryers.

That study was funded by a paper-towel company. Shockingly, a study funded by Dyson came to the opposite conclusion.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Sounds like an unaffiliated party, such as a fifth grader doing a science fair project, ought to look into this.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

You say that like we want/need dryers that blow air hot enough to sterilize. That wouldn't end well.

Edit: Oops, wrong quote button.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Sounds like an unaffiliated party, such as a fifth grader doing a science fair project, ought to look into this.

If I remember right, a fifth grader who noticed a lot of complaints from her classmates about the hand dryers being painfully loud did do a study on her own to see how loud they were.

Turns out, most hand dryers are well above the maximum decibel level permitted! And the companies don't test them in conditions similar to where they'll be used; they get tested in soundproof rooms.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

tinytort posted:

If I remember right, a fifth grader who noticed a lot of complaints from her classmates about the hand dryers being painfully loud did do a study on her own to see how loud they were.

Turns out, most hand dryers are well above the maximum decibel level permitted! And the companies don't test them in conditions similar to where they'll be used; they get tested in soundproof rooms.

https://www.today.com/parents/13-year-old-publishes-study-showing-hand-dryers-are-too-t159424

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm thinking about that energized gas line and it occurs to me that shutting off the main gas to the house could make the situation more dangerous. With a loss of pressure, air could enter the gas line from the end of an appliance unless there's some kind of backflow prevention? Obviously the gas, however hot, can't ignite until there's oxygen available, so keeping the line full of pure gas with no oxygen is paramount. Also, if that hot water heater's burner is on, that keeps a flow of cooler gas running through the red hot energized section of corrugated piping, which should actually cool it a little?

It's one of those cases I think you'd have to study in lab conditions to be certain which action is less dangerous.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Yep, that's the one I was thinking of.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
If you really want to spend far too long on the topic:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/apr/25/hand-dryers-paper-towels-hygiene-dyson-airblade

quote:

Hand dryers v paper towels: the surprisingly dirty fight for the right to dry your hands

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

I'm thinking about that energized gas line and it occurs to me that shutting off the main gas to the house could make the situation more dangerous. With a loss of pressure, air could enter the gas line from the end of an appliance unless there's some kind of backflow prevention? Obviously the gas, however hot, can't ignite until there's oxygen available, so keeping the line full of pure gas with no oxygen is paramount. Also, if that hot water heater's burner is on, that keeps a flow of cooler gas running through the red hot energized section of corrugated piping, which should actually cool it a little?

It's one of those cases I think you'd have to study in lab conditions to be certain which action is less dangerous.

There are no real conclusion to be drawn on what the "correct" move would be in the wild. You've correctly identified that the gas, while contained in the line is way below it's UEL even though it's also way above its ignition temperature. Flowing gas may have a cooling effect, but that probably doesn't matter and you can't control if it's flowing or not with any safe and reliable means.

What really matters is how long it's going to be contained. And for that, every different hose, length of hose, exact temperature, the number of times it's been bent, how much it's been bent, etc, etc, etc, etc are going to matter more than anything else. Basically un-knowable details of the particular material and its installation.

So you just shut off the gas. And if possible, vent from another port or appliance. Hell, that's emergent enough to justify doing some real damage outside (cutting outside-accessible piping with something like a hydraulic tool) in order to get gas out of the lines inside.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Natural gas flow rates are Not High.

The pressure required for domestic appliances is measured in fractions of a PSI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
From a spare bedroom we’re working on:

(Folded up paper spacing the light switch from the box)

Bonus: the light switch is installed upside down.