Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Rinkles posted:

not that it's a new phenomenon, but am i alone in finding the growing usage of the sickle and hammer offputting?

No, many nazis also find it very problematic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
gently caress off

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
Pretty much every post that guy has itt is concern trolling about Ukraine being the fourth reich.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

gently caress off

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Russia just got banned from major sporting events for 4 years:

quote:

Russia banned for four years to include 2020 Olympics and 2022 World Cup

Russia has been handed a four-year ban from all major sporting events by the World Anti-Doping Agency (Wada).

It means the Russia flag and anthem will not be allowed at events such as the Tokyo 2020 Olympics and football's 2022 World Cup in Qatar.

But athletes who can prove they are untainted by the doping scandal will be able to compete under a neutral flag.

Wada's executive committee made the unanimous decision in a meeting in Lausanne, Switzerland.

It comes after Russia's Anti Doping Agency (Rusada) was declared non-compliant for manipulating laboratory data handed over to investigators in January 2019.

It had to hand over data to Wada as a condition of its controversial reinstatement in 2018 after a three-year suspension for its vast state-sponsored doping scandal.

Wada says Rusada has 21 days to appeal against the ban. If it does so, the appeal will be referred to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (Cas).

Wada vice-president Linda Helleland said the ban was "not enough".

"I wanted sanctions that can not be watered down," she said. "We owe it to the clean athletes to implement the sanctions as strongly as possible."

A total of 168 Russian athletes competed under a neutral flag at the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang after the country was banned following the 2014 Games, which it hosted in Sochi. Russian athletes won 33 medals in Sochi, 13 of which were gold.

Russia has been banned from competing as a nation in athletics since 2015.

Despite the ban, Russia will be able to compete at Euro 2020 - in which St Petersburg will be a host city - as European football's governing body Uefa is not defined as a 'major event organisation' with regards to rulings on anti-doping breaches.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Brown Moses posted:

I love UEFA isn't a "big sports event".

Now that's silly as gently caress.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Brown Moses posted:

I have a feeling being banned from the World Cup will piss them off more than the Olympics.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

I have a feeling being banned from the World Cup will piss them off more than the Olympics.

Same, while Olympics are annoying it's not something new, but being banned from the football event? That is quite a bruise to their honour, and they will undoubtedly and decisively retaliate.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Can Russian players form a "Independent Athletes" team for FIFA like in Olympics? :haw:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

forkboy84 posted:

While I could understand someone who grew up behind the Iron Curtain having those connotations and am sympathetic to it, it just doesn't automatically equate to Stalinism here. Honestly, an awful lot of the people who use it are basically just social democrats wrapped in more radical imagery. It just means "far left" to a lot of people.

Maybe read the name of the thread you are posting in?

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

RagnarokZ posted:

I love UEFA isn't a "big sports event".

UEFA is a governing body, not an event.

European Championship and Champions League are events organized by UEFA.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Doctor Malaver posted:

UEFA is a governing body, not an event.

European Championship and Champions League are events organized by UEFA.

Thanks a lot Comrade-Captain Obvious, it's still stupid as gently caress.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Reportedly one person is missing on Russian carrier Kuznetsov after a fire broke out on the ship. Never mind finding the missing person, I'm even surprised they found the fire :haw:

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/bazabazon/status/1205054965699547137

Burning or just working as intended?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Nenonen posted:

Reportedly one person is missing on Russian carrier Kuznetsov after a fire broke out on the ship. Never mind finding the missing person, I'm even surprised they found the fire :haw:

I think it's around page 90 in this thread where the pics of the engine room of the Kuznetsov are if you're curious.

It's actually page 102

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 12, 2019

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Was just going to make the joke in reply to Nenonen, that it's ought to be non-trivial to distinguish a Kuznetsov fire from a Kuznetsov engine. However, while it is somewhat ironic that the guy missing in the fire is a commanding officer of the emergency rescue battalion, I do hope that they find the guy gets out or is find alive, smoke suffocation/poisoning consequences are horrifying.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

I think it's around page 90 in this thread where the pics of the engine room of the Kuznetsov are if you're curious.

https://twitter.com/makhnytskyy/status/798288175487746048

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Wait, you mean it's not a steam ship?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Cat Mattress posted:

The Russian Navy has a problem: it's a largely irrelevant military branch for a mostly landlocked continental power. Let's look at a map of Russia and her coasts.

Yeah. The only Russian port where the ships couldn't be easily blocked by other countries (that tend to be US allies, by the way) or by simple geography are in Kamchatka; and Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky is too small, too remote to have the infrastructure needed to take advantage of that anyway, so Russia's Pacific Fleet is instead based at Vladivostok.

So the Russian Navy has a long-term plan: get rid of icebergs to turn the arctic sea into a new Mediterranean, and then they'll be useful and Russia will want to use them to invade Canada. To pursue this bold plan, their flagship, the Admiral Kuznetsov, is tasked with emitting as much CO2 as all of China's factories together. They're not quite there yet, but they try, they definitely try.

A good post.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://news.liga.net/world/news/na-kompyuterah-putina-ustanovlena-windows-xp---guardian

quote:

12/17/2019, 18:26
Microsoft discontinued regular security updates for Windows XP and Office 2003 in April 2014

On the computers of Russian President Vladimir Putin in the Kremlin and in the official residence of Novo-Ogaryovo, the outdated Microsoft Windows XP operating system is installed. This conclusion was reached by The Guardian reporters , having studied photographs published by the Kremlin press service.

"Russian agents were accused of global hacking operations, but someone in the Kremlin clearly forgot to inform Vladimir Putin about the importance of cybersecurity," the British newspaper writes.

On both computers, in the Kremlin and Novo-Ogaryovo, the background images of the Kremlin towers are installed.

The publication notes that Microsoft stopped releasing regular security updates for Windows XP and Office 2003 in April 2014. "However, it seems that Russian government regulations did not allow Putin to switch to a newer version of Microsoft 10," the article said.

Microsoft warns on its website that computers running Windows XP are "vulnerable to security threats and viruses."

Russian President’s spokesman Dmitry Peskov declined to comment on why Putin continues to use an outdated operating system.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Hahahahahaha, what a profound article. It's windows XP and I bet the machine its on is 6 years old or older.

Machines 6 years or older are ubiquituous, almost free, windows XP has been cracked to helk and back and microsoft won't send you copyright notices.

Sure, they cant connect to the internet w/o a cable, but when you need a basic, solid computer for almost free, that's what you do.

But of course hurr durr the steppe slav is dumb and doesnt know computer security instead of seeing it as the budgetary control measure that it is.

Word to the wise.

Vvvvv Hahahahahahah! This guy knows what's up.

Dawncloack fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Dec 18, 2019

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
He keeps asking that one friend to install new Windows for him, but that rear end in a top hat won't shut up about Linux.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
If I could, I'd still be on Win 98.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
How did they conclude that it's an old version of Windows?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

XP is short for Христос :angel:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Nenonen posted:

XP is short for Христос :angel:

Windows ΧΡ (Chi Rho?)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The only thing they have to go on is the taskbar, and it doesn't even look in any way like the typical XP setup, it even appears to have the newer Start button with just the Windows logo. It looks like Windows 7 with disabled Aero or something.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

steinrokkan posted:

The only thing they have to go on is the taskbar, and it doesn't even look in any way like the typical XP setup, it even appears to have the newer Start button with just the Windows logo. It looks like Windows 7 with disabled Aero or something.

I assume the photo is there to show Putin near a computer, and not literally the one photo they based their research on. The linked Guardian article doesn't have any computer photos in it at all.

Or maybe it is the only photo they used, in which case lol.

E: okay, there are actually plenty of photos of Putin's computer.

This one is from that documentary Oliver Stone did a couple of years ago. Back then people also claimed that it was XP, but I can't really make out anything that would prove that.

E2: some people say it's actually some obscure Linux distribution that is officially certified for use in high-security networks, and is apparently used by Russian Ministry of Defence.

E3: either way, that's pretty poo poo reporting from Guardian.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 18, 2019

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Paladinus posted:

I assume the photo is there to show Putin near a computer, and not literally the one photo they based their research on. The linked Guardian article doesn't have any computer photos in it at all.

Or maybe it is the only photo they used, in which case lol.

E: okay, there are actually plenty of photos of Putin's computer.

This one is from that documentary Oliver Stone did a couple of years ago. Back then people also claimed that it was XP, but I can't really make out anything that would prove that.

E2: some people say it's actually some obscure Linux distribution that is officially certified for use in high-security networks, and is apparently used by Russian Ministry of Defence.

E3: either way, that's pretty poo poo reporting from Guardian.

Yeah it could be Astra, it’s about 8 years old now and is used in Russian defence industry, and some industrial machinery control environments with high cost of failure.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Yeah it could be Astra, it’s about 8 years old now and is used in Russian defence industry, and some industrial machinery control environments with high cost of failure.

The bar bottom does look similar to the one used on Astra. Impossible to tell though from such a blurry image.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Windows engineer here, and I can’t tell for sure what that OS is. It might be XP, but it’s not obvious enough in the Guardian photo. The Oliver Stone photo doesn’t look like Windows, unless maybe it’s an extended monitor without a start button.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Using powerful desktop backgrounds of Kremlin on ALL of his PCs

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I have a winxp start button because I run Classic shell to disable all the tiles/store stuff on Win10, it's not hard to get around

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Scaramouche posted:

I have a winxp start button because I run Classic shell to disable all the tiles/store stuff on Win10, it's not hard to get around
I bed putin is the kind of smug rear end in a top hat that turns off hardware acceleration to be all old school with the classic theme. In my day in DDR we had none of these fancy GPU poo poo.

Speaking of whom, saw this in a hostel:

ILE ON
Since it was in Tel Aviv I suspect the sign wasn't ironic so I wanted to help anyway

Anyway, some content:

quote:

At least one person has been killed and five wounded in a shooting at the headquarters of Russia's Federal Security Service (FSB) in central Moscow, Russian media say.

A gunman who opened fire with an automatic weapon at the entrance of the building was killed by an armed officer, Interfax news agency reports.

Security forces cordoned off the area and moved bystanders into buildings.

The shooting came hours after President Putin's annual press conference.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-50858949
What a shame.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Some kind of weird, and very stupid, revenge from their erstwhile mercenaries in Ukraine? Fuckin' around with out-and-out criminals was bound to bite them in the rear end eventually.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

madeintaipei posted:

Some kind of weird, and very stupid, revenge from their erstwhile mercenaries in Ukraine? Fuckin' around with out-and-out criminals was bound to bite them in the rear end eventually.

No, it was a 40 y/o gun crazy mall cop fatass.

Cops as usual are trying to keep everything secret and have flat out refused classifying it as a terrorist attack. Mother of the shooter just said that he "hated KGB" before cops isolated her from the jounalists.

Of course it is deeply ironic and non-surprising that the massive surveillance state system that is so effective at sending anarchist bookclubs to taser torture jail did jack poo poo to stop fat chud with an AK from shooting at a loving Lubyanka building.

Donbass veterans and Syria-touring mercenaries from Wagner are definetely going to be an issue - there is not enough blood diamond security jobs in Africa under Prigozhin companies for all of them and nobody is going to pay them military pensions any time soon.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

madeintaipei posted:

...what?? Why do you have to do this? There is nothing in the news supporting your fiction.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-50864527

quote:

Russian media have identified the man who opened fire at the Federal Security Service (FSB) headquarters in Moscow as a 39-year-old loner and gun enthusiast.

They named him as Yevgeny Manyurov from Podolsk, about 40km (25 miles) south of Moscow. He killed an FSB officer and wounded five others with an automatic weapon, before a sniper shot him dead.

On Thursday night police searched Manyurov's flat, which he had shared with his mother, and they detained her for questioning.

Her son had worked as a security guard but lost his job recently and never had any visits from friends, Russian media quote her as saying. Police found five guns at the flat - legally registered and kept in a safe - along with a large quantity of ammunition.

This 39 year old goon who lived with his mother and had practised at a gun club for three months certainly sounds like Russia's Frank Castle.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I don't expect disgruntled separatist soldiers to attack FSB like that any time soon. Unlike some random guy with an AK, they are more likely to be under constant surveillance.

In other new, there was supposed to be an event in Minsk in support of deeper integration with Russia, and literally nobody showed up. Now that's what I call a strong message to Russia.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I thought there is plenty of work for Russian mercenaries, like Syria and Venezuela for instance

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

https://twitter.com/franakviacorka/status/1208060469354860544

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Yeah the attacker is just a gun fetishist, allegedly of a hardline libertarian kind. In my opinion, Putin’s rather muted end of year announcement coupled with constitutional presidential terms topic are way more thought-provoking.