Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

leaving aside just how much of a oval office you'd have to be to make that remark, how can someone who isn't a politician use something for political capital

e: terrible snipe

Psalm 117 is the exact middle of the king James Bible and the shortest chapter in it

quote:

O praise the Lord, all ye nations: praise him, all ye people.

For his merciful kindness is great toward us: and the truth of the Lord endureth for ever. Praise ye the Lord.

remember when gove gave every school in the country a Bible with his name in it lol

wonder where they are now

XMNN fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

by saying something I don't like

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
new project binky

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

Taking a nice break from all this election hullabaloo to just sit & enjoy albums from this year. God bless the album, the long player, the perfect format for music. Singles? In the bin.

I recommend it. Just put together a playlist of all the 2019 music you've bought/stolen/streamed/whatever, no judgements here (but if you like an artist you probably should support them when you financially can afford to & streaming rates are so pish)/been recommended in alphabetical order (or chronological order if you are more careful about keeping a record on dates & poo poo), hit play on track 1 & just give yourself the time to let it roll over you. Not all at once, that could be silly, my playlist is 60 hours long. But make the time to listen to an album or two in one sitting. It's such a beautiful way to just unwind from all the madness.

I don't think I have a single track recorded this decade. I'm old, IDGAF.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Must be nice to have this much unreflecting self-confidence.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

im not racist but...

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Apraxin posted:

Must be nice to have this much unreflecting self-confidence.

Ah yes, everyone on all sides of the political debate is thinking "gently caress that guy whose son died"

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Well you might not want to click through some of his other takes then:

https://twitter.com/BenGoldsmith/status/1203678059347501057

https://twitter.com/BenGoldsmith/status/1203401697458040833

Jinkii
Jan 17, 2011
After a lot of thought i have decided i will be voting Labour.

My constituency Dumfries and Galloway has been SNP and tory since it was created in 2005, i consider myself a Scottish nationalist not due to any hate of the English but because being bad at colonialism shouldn't result in my countrys natural resources being used to fund tax cuts for the wealthy or to fund the privatisation of our utilities.

That said i would be delighted for it to be used for the benefit of everyone, tories are the obstruction here, the SNP can't stop them, so im for Labour.

*poster reserves the right to continue to shitpost post GE.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

goddamnedtwisto posted:

you know, i checked because i assumed i would be as bad but genuinely not. i still have a huge bias to tracks from about 2003-2010 but otherwise there's plenty of new stuff.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Day of canvassing don’t knows and no data people in chingford, feeling fairly positive.

Check in to see what UKMT is on about today, feeling like the world is ending.

Four days, keep the faith, keep fighting etc etc

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

"I might have a daughter your age... maybe"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I envy you folk finding nice people to talk to, almost everyone round here is horrible or already labour.

Yavuz
Oct 9, 2019

you're not the boss of me

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Ms Adequate posted:

I have to say, if I were of a more conspiratorial mind, the Simon Wiesenthal Center going to bat for the Tories and their very rich mates, over a man who has spent his life fighting all kinds of bigotry, would really make me :thunk: about what "The Jews" are up to.
Which is part of the plan, I think. Spread the Big Lie™ about Corbyn being antisemitic. Make it credible enough that some Jewish people like Rachel Riley fall for it. Naturally it's not true, so hyperbolic leftists are going to attack them on twitter and boom, you have actual instances of the left attacking Jewish people and Corbyn failing to screen every single tweet that goes their way.

I just can't believe that anyone looks at jam grandad Jeremy Corbyn and noted racist philanderer Boris Johnson and comes out thinking that they are even in the same, racist ballpark.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've had the first two albums by The Music (released in 2002 and 2004) on repeat for the last month here. My god they were stupidly talented for how old they were, like here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuT8njtSFMc

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

What a total and utter oval office. Your boss has been caught using a genuinely awesome lads tragic death to profit, so dont blub when you are called out on it. Cuntcuntcunt.

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola

OwlFancier posted:

I envy you folk finding nice people to talk to, almost everyone round here is horrible or already labour.

If it makes you feel any better, nearly all my don’t-knows and nonvoters have been either depressing or infuriating to talk to, even the ones I’ve managed to sway a little. Had everything from ‘why can’t they just put their heads together and Sort It Out’, through literal fascists, wannabe small businessmen going ‘I know I should vote labour but maybe I should look out for me’, young parents too busy and downtrodden to see any point in anything, to old people gleefully admitting they don’t give a gently caress about anything except getting their Brexit. What you’re doing is worthwhile still - it’s planting seeds of thought and reminding the Labour ones that this is important and they need to vote.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/its-a-brexit-boris-johnson-predicts-british-baby-boom-v93jqmjxp

quote:

For a man with a colourful private life, it is a bold boast. Boris Johnson has claimed there will be a bonking bonanza across Britain if he stays in No 10.

The prime minister predicted a post-Brexit baby boom to mirror 2012, the year of the London Olympics. He said: “Cupid’s darts will fly once we get Brexit done. Romance will bloom across the whole nation.”

Johnson said: “There was one after the Olympics, as I correctly prophesied in a speech in 2012, it was quite amazing. There was a big baby boom.”

His comments will lead to speculation that he might start a family with his girlfriend, Carrie Symonds, 31. Asked about that prospect, he said: “I am not going to make any demographic projections.” Pressed on whether the patter of tiny feet might be heard in No 10, Johnson — whose Wikipedia entry says he has “at least five” children — added: “I don’t comment about that sort of thing.”

While 2012 did see the biggest baby boom for 40 years, the cause was said to be the release of the erotic novel Fifty Shades of Grey rather than the Olympics.

Brexit is already credited with at least one birth. Tory MPs Andrea Jenkyns and Jack Lopresti nicknamed their son “Brexit Clifford” when he was born in March 2017, nine months after the referendum.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

XMNN posted:

remember when gove gave every school in the country a Bible with his name in it lol

wonder where they are now

Huh.

The Govey Bibble posted:

2And God spake unto Moses, and said unto him, I am the LORD: 3And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name JEGOVAH was I not known to them.

The GuaR'lyehn posted:

Gove told BBC Radio 4's The World at One that he did not know about the inscription.

"I have to confess that I didn't know they were going to say 'presented by the secretary for education' until I actually saw the first Bible," he said. "In a way I don't mind."

:crossarms:

The Govey Bibble posted:

ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

:gonk:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

People that old can't have babbies.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I've had the first two albums by The Music (released in 2002 and 2004) on repeat for the last month here. My god they were stupidly talented for how old they were, like here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuT8njtSFMc

Saw them in Birmingham just after the first album came out, stellar live band who made me feel very old at 24

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/UThuganomic/status/1203703138261356544?s=19

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

as poverty, food shortages and riots push us evolutionarily backwards, from a K-species, to an r-species.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Tarnop posted:

Saw them in Birmingham just after the first album came out, stellar live band who made me feel very old at 24

Saw them headline the second stage at Reading in 2003 instead of Metallica, and may have started a "gently caress Metallica" chant between songs which ended up being picked up by the entire tent

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

goddamnedtwisto posted:

My comfort tunes are definitely the usual old reliables. A lot of metal from the '80s & '90s metal, & my hip-hop tastes tend towards the older as well. Plenty of post-punk & hardcore from the '70s & '80s & all. But for me, I still get the raw excitement of listening to something new for the first time and being blown away. Just that first time listening to a record & knowing "oh gently caress, I'm still going to be spinning this in 2 decades time", it's an absolute delight.

But also I'm lazy so I always end up with a massive backlog of stuff come December because keeping up with new releases is hard. So normally I just wait for all the end of year lists to come out and sample a bunch of them and see what sticks & it's usually a joy where I come across something entirely new to me. (The Bandcamp blog is real good) Like right now I'm playing American Pleasure Club & I have no idea where or who recommended this to me but it's this wild mashup of a shoegazey/dream pop vibe with really abrasive almost Death Grips style moments & it shouldn't work but it does and it's just drat nice.

This is also the only time of the year I think about using Spotify more so their algorithms can get to know me enough to recommend new poo poo but effort.

I really don't want to be "old fart who stubbornly insists there was no good music after Year X" like my dad.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I already knew Jack Lopresti was a oval office (he's my MP :v:)but lol

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Shogi posted:

If it makes you feel any better, nearly all my don’t-knows and nonvoters have been either depressing or infuriating to talk to, even the ones I’ve managed to sway a little. Had everything from ‘why can’t they just put their heads together and Sort It Out’, through literal fascists, wannabe small businessmen going ‘I know I should vote labour but maybe I should look out for me’, young parents too busy and downtrodden to see any point in anything, to old people gleefully admitting they don’t give a gently caress about anything except getting their Brexit. What you’re doing is worthwhile still - it’s planting seeds of thought and reminding the Labour ones that this is important and they need to vote.

It will depend a lot on area. Yesterday I ended up in BAME heavy areas all day and it was a real Labour stronghold and it was almost more along the lines of a GOTV operation, reminding people, checking no-one needed a lift, etc. Today it was a more of a poor white working-class demographic and a there were a lot more don't knows and a lot of it was fighting apathy and Brexit concerns.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Yeah I have a good friend in the UK that I've known for years who lives in St Albans. He tells me the entire cadre of boomers who are voting this election do not really trust or believe in the UK Government's ability to deliver on any of its promises including the majority of the Labor manifesto. He cites past failures to protect greenbelts, failure to deliver on promised investments in infrastructure and a lack of limits to migration.
Basically I'm told migration, teen pregnancy (not sure how this falls into things) and a complete lack of faith in government has pushed the UK population into a chaotic state where everyone just wants Brexit really badly and that's it. So as boring and awful as it is, it seems "Get Brexit Done" is an effective campaign slogan that is carrying the Tories into an almost unprecedented majority a decade into their term.

But above all else I really have to say I am severely disappointed in the media, especially the Guardian. It's horrifying just how much they're hammering away at this anti-semitism thing just to prevent good things from happening. I can totally see people getting pissed off and start mixing their hatred for the greedy landlords with Jewish people in general and then it all goes downhill from there.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 8, 2019

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

History Comes Inside! posted:

I already knew Jack Lopresti was a oval office (he's my MP :v:)but lol

Wikipedia posted:

Whilst on attachment to 6 RIFLES during the first weeks of Herrick IX, Gunner Lopresti acquired the nickname "Leprosy", while he was widely reviled by his peers for what was perceived as his own self-inflated sense of worth.

lmao

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
I subscribed to the Sunday Times so you guys don't have to.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

forkboy84 posted:

Taking a nice break from all this election hullabaloo to just sit & enjoy albums from this year. God bless the album, the long player, the perfect format for music. Singles? In the bin.

I recommend it. Just put together a playlist of all the 2019 music you've bought/stolen/streamed/whatever, no judgements here (but if you like an artist you probably should support them when you financially can afford to & streaming rates are so pish)/been recommended in alphabetical order (or chronological order if you are more careful about keeping a record on dates & poo poo), hit play on track 1 & just give yourself the time to let it roll over you. Not all at once, that could be silly, my playlist is 60 hours long. But make the time to listen to an album or two in one sitting. It's such a beautiful way to just unwind from all the madness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CtxkCmcsiw&list=PLceOkMCrydIriEGs0eWLlMYhgbCh4Uox6

My album of the year.

.... :(

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Chuka Umana posted:

I subscribed to the Sunday Times so you guys don't have to.

Is that why you're always crying in the thread?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Simultaneously the end of Society and the end of society.

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola

team overhead smash posted:

It will depend a lot on area. Yesterday I ended up in BAME heavy areas all day and it was a real Labour stronghold and it was almost more along the lines of a GOTV operation, reminding people, checking no-one needed a lift, etc. Today it was a more of a poor white working-class demographic and a there were a lot more don't knows and a lot of it was fighting apathy and Brexit concerns.

I’ve found in the slightly wealthier areas I get a few people who tell me they’re not voting because of weird decorum related concerns (seriously) or ‘because they’ve done nothing for three years’, and though they’re very annoying to talk to I can usually embarrass them into at least considering Labour. In the really rough places they’re replaced mostly by Brexit oddballs, ‘they’re all the same mate’ or total apathy as you say. I find the last type the most draining on my morale :(

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

This is very ageist.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

This is very ageist.

Cool.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

quote:

For a man with a colourful private life, it is a bold boast. Boris Johnson has claimed there will be a bonking bonanza across Britain if he stays in No 10.

Oh, so that's why he wants to be the most powerful person in the UK.

quote:

The prime minister predicted a post-Brexit baby boom to mirror 2012, the year of the London Olympics. He said: “Cupid’s darts will fly once we get Brexit done. Romance will bloom across the whole nation.”

Oh, so that's why he wants to cut us off from Europe and the rest of the World.

quote:

Johnson said: “There was one after the Olympics, as I correctly prophesied in a speech in 2012, it was quite amazing. There was a big baby boom.”

Oh, so that's why he can't remember how many children he has.

quote:

His comments will lead to speculation that he might start a family with his girlfriend, Carrie Symonds, 31. Asked about that prospect, he said: “I am not going to make any demographic projections.”

Oh, so that's the Tory strategy for replacing their dying base.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

This is very ageist.

k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Kraftwerk posted:

But above all else I really have to say I am severely disappointed in the media, especially the Guardian. It's horrifying just how much they're hammering away at this anti-semitism thing just to prevent good things from happening. I can totally see people getting pissed off and start mixing their hatred for the greedy landlords with Jewish people in general and then it all goes downhill from there.

The media is a business like any other, it is self interested in its own existence above any other motivation and exists as a propagandist or flatterer for the bourgeoisie as a means of survival. Once we prove their internal and constantly self referencing narrative as incompatible with a fair and decent society it will be swept away and replaced by other means of sharing information and actually criticise the oppressive structures we live under. Sadly that's a real uphill struggle and a right pain in the arse to do.