Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Tony Snark posted:

If you're not posting in it already, the AIRPOWER/Cold War thread in TFR is always good for nuke talk - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3373768

Cheers cuzz. Hope it's not a giant military wank fest (It is isn't it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Things that had nuclear warhead options in the Cold War:

• Air-to-Air Missiles
  • Surface-to-Air Missiles (Obviously for BMDS)
  • Anti-Ship Missiles (Surface-to-surface from ships and subs, air-to-surface from aircraft)
  • Torpedos
  • Landmines (Apparently the USSR deployed a bunch on bridges east of Germany as a way of stemming the west if they went to war)
  • Artillery shells and surface-to-surface rockets
  • MANPADs (Man-Portable Air Defence missile systems like Stinger)
  • Backpacks (W54, only 27kg and about the size of a wastebasket)

Phanatic posted:

The raw W54 warhead was that small, but the smallest “backpack” it was ever deployed in weighed 150lbs and definitely wouldn’t have fit into an airplane overhead.

What was the nuclear MANPAD? Never heard of that one.

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Can't find a good reference sorry. Let's call that one bullshit on my part!

I can't recall any nuclear MANPAD systems but you did forget about the M-29 "Davy Crockett" nuclear recoilless rifle:

It had a 2-mile maximum range and a yield of only 20 tons (0.02kt). It was quite inaccurate, so its most tactically useful effect would have been the radiation blast, which would have instantly killed any unshielded troops within about a 500-foot radius. It would probably also be fairly effective against helicopters and light aircraft at low altitudes.

It could be carried in three backpacks or fired from the back of a jeep

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 8, 2019

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Sagebrush posted:

I can't recall any nuclear MANPAD systems but you did forget about the M-29 "Davy Crockett" nuclear recoilless rifle:

It had a 2-mile maximum range and a yield of only 20 tons (0.02kt). It was quite inaccurate, so its most tactically useful effect would have been the radiation blast, which would have instantly killed any unshielded troops within about a 500-foot radius. It would probably also be fairly effective against helicopters and light aircraft at low altitudes.

It could be carried in three backpacks or fired from the back of a jeep

Reminds me so much of nuclear suicide bombers in Command and Conquer

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiM-RzPHyGs

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

STUFF

No I didn't forget about that boring bit of history. It woulda fit on my list under artillery shells/surface-to-surface rockets if you'd checked but I doubt you would as you were edgin to post that. Very well all is done.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Pile Of Garbage posted:

No I didn't forget about that boring bit of history. It woulda fit on my list under artillery shells/surface-to-surface rockets if you'd checked but I doubt you would as you were edgin to post that. Very well all is done.

Oh, well, I was just trying to help you out by posting something that you might have confused for a nuclear shoulder-fired antiaircraft missile, but if that's not the case then go gently caress yourself I guess.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Is it racist to criticise German engineering for frequently overcomplicating designs and creating maintenance nightmares?

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

Sagebrush posted:

Oh, well, I was just trying to help you out by posting something that you might have confused for a nuclear shoulder-fired antiaircraft missile, but if that's not the case then go gently caress yourself I guess.

Gentlemen please, you can’t fight here this is the war room!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's not boring, it almost triggered a major incident and was only covered up because Russia got us to assassinate a rogue special forces soldier

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
My whole life, my dad has been making "artisanal" extension cords using whatever wire he has laying around. Plenty of two prong male ends with "grounded" female ends, in the mix. He's then been using them outdoors for Xmas lights and the like. He also likes to use indoor taps to run multiple lines in the outdoors.

Since he's become too ill to do chores around the house, I've been replacing the cords with new ones.

Today while putting up lights outside, I found these two.

I think the were made to join the female ends of two strings of lights. I know they are about to be tossed in the garbage.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Honestly, I would cut the ends off first. Well, at least one of them.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Good point. Snip snip.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Cheers cuzz. Hope it's not a giant military wank fest (It is isn't it).

Depends on what you consider a wank fest. Lots of chat about military topics but it’s not wall to wall flag wavers or anything. Lots of critical commentary on poo poo like procurement plus people arguing about policy and Cold War history.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Uthor posted:

My whole life, my dad has been making "artisanal" extension cords using whatever wire he has laying around. Plenty of two prong male ends with "grounded" female ends, in the mix. He's then been using them outdoors for Xmas lights and the like. He also likes to use indoor taps to run multiple lines in the outdoors.

Since he's become too ill to do chores around the house, I've been replacing the cords with new ones.

I think the were made to join the female ends of two strings of lights. I know they are about to be tossed in the garbage.

Save the ends, field replacable NEMA 5-15 plugs are surprisingly expensive.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Pile Of Garbage posted:

There's no sound on MP4 embeds and idc how many examples of dodgy poo poo from China you've got there's just as many for any other country. "Chinesium" is a poo poo word.
It's capitalism + incredibly weak state controls. You get this kind of poo poo anywhere there's just enough civilization to prevent being murdered for pulling a scam but not enough to really punish the scammer. Occasionally you murder a few thousand babies to save a dime and lose your head, but for the most part it's buyer beware.

OSHA story from 45 minutes ago putting up lights:

One of these fuckers tried to eat me. Standard tab/notch locking mechanism but mine is 15 years old and some of the tabs are apparently starting to stick. Unfolded two of the three sections for a mid-height project and started to set it upright when it went from straight back to A-shaped and wholloped me right on the back. Hurts like hell but would have been a lot worse if I was on it at the time or it hit my head on its way back down so I'll take my dumb knocks. Guess it's time to clean those latches!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Harik posted:

It's capitalism + incredibly weak state controls. You get this kind of poo poo anywhere there's just enough civilization to prevent being murdered for pulling a scam but not enough to really punish the scammer. Occasionally you murder a few thousand babies to save a dime and lose your head, but for the most part it's buyer beware.

One of these fuckers tried to eat me. Standard tab/notch locking mechanism but mine is 15 years old and some of the tabs are apparently starting to stick. Unfolded two of the three sections for a mid-height project and started to set it upright when it went from straight back to A-shaped and wholloped me right on the back. Hurts like hell but would have been a lot worse if I was on it at the time or it hit my head on its way back down so I'll take my dumb knocks. Guess it's time to clean those latches!

I loving hate these types of ladder. I'd take standing on a loving table over dealing with these finger pinching pieces of poo poo.

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

MrYenko posted:

Film of Sprint launches always looks fake. It accelerates unnervingly quickly.

first time i saw it i thought "drat poo poo that's fast" then the video said "ok that was the slow mo, lets watch it in real time"

i felt almost physically ill, like i was seeing something deeply unnatural

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

LifeSunDeath posted:

I loving hate these types of ladder. I'd take standing on a loving table over dealing with these finger pinching pieces of poo poo.

Whenever I've seen those ladders, I am convinced that they only exist in two states: 'collapsed' or 'collapsing'

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

LifeSunDeath posted:

My left thumb clicks whenever I make a fist from my dad closing one of those fuckers on my hand when I was 12.

. . . I still don’t think my mom knows.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Uthor posted:

We may be brothers.

When my dad needed a new cord for something he would run down to the dying local small town hardware store and buy the only thing they had, 16 ga 2 wire lamp cords. I kid you not, they were on everything. He had one on an ancient drill press once. I grabbed my clamp meter and checked it at 18 amps. Not to mention no ground and everything on that fucker was steel.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

LifeSunDeath posted:

Yes, possibly the worst ladder type. They're way too heavy and ungainly but they store more compactly than a fiberglass extension ladder. If I had more room I'd get one that sucked less.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Wall Balls posted:

first time i saw it i thought "drat poo poo that's fast" then the video said "ok that was the slow mo, lets watch it in real time"

i felt almost physically ill, like i was seeing something deeply unnatural

They're utterly nuts. Weren't those the ones that you could launch at the same time you fired a .45 and it would be a few hundred foot airborne before the bullet left the barrel?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Harik posted:

They're utterly nuts. Weren't those the ones that you could launch at the same time you fired a .45 and it would be a few hundred foot airborne before the bullet left the barrel?

:catstare:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Harik posted:

I haven't heard that specific factoid but the math doesn't check out. A .45 has a muzzle velocity of 830 feet per second, so with a 5-inch barrel the bullet accelerates at roughly 26,000g and takes 1 millisecond to leave the barrel. The Sprint missile's overall acceleration was 100g, meaning that in 0.001s it would only have traveled half a millimeter.

Even going by reports that "the missile was supersonic by the time it left its silo," meaning it reached at least 1125 feet per second in its 27-foot length, exiting the silo in under 48 milliseconds, that's still only 730g in the initial ejection phase. The bullet would be 40 feet away at that point.

It would be totally accurate to say that by the time the missile left the silo it was travelling faster than a .45, though.

e: and it's been a while since I've done quadratic equations, but I think I've worked out that if you were standing beside the underground missile silo with the gun beside your head and fired it upwards at the same moment the missile was launched, the tail of the missile would have passed the bullet after slightly less than 1/10 of a second, 80 feet above the ground.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 9, 2019

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Harik posted:

Oh, gently caress those things. I've never been on one and never will. First experience with them was watching the dude on qvc eat poo poo on live tv. That cured me of any desire to ever use one of those.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Pile Of Garbage posted:

This was a pretty bitchmade response to some guy trying to post something he thought was interesting.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Ruggan posted:

This was a pretty bitchmade response to some guy trying to post something he thought was interesting.

He's also trying to make chinesium a slur, so...yeah.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

We may be brothers.

When my dad needed a new cord for something he would run down to the dying local small town hardware store and buy the only thing they had, 16 ga 2 wire lamp cords. I kid you not, they were on everything. He had one on an ancient drill press once. I grabbed my clamp meter and checked it at 18 amps. Not to mention no ground and everything on that fucker was steel.

At least a lot of the extension cords seem to made from vacuum cleaner cords, so I feel they're okay to, like, power the Xmas tree.

He's got those adapters that let you plug a grounded plug into an ungrounded socket (you're supposed connect an auxiliary ground to the plug, but...). They were using them in the bedroom because the sockets didn't have a ground.

I recently bought some $0.98 sockets with grounds and swapped them out in like five minutes.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Uthor posted:

I recently bought some $0.98 sockets with grounds and swapped them out in like five minutes.

With our without a ground wire?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

starkebn posted:

With our without a ground wire?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

zedprime posted:

Chinesium implies it won't get better until we get the chinese out of the loop when in reality its malignant profit seeking that has been had to be regulated out of other countries (and not incredibly long ago, using legal tools manufacturers are very interested in eroding), an active social solution to something that markets won't fix quickly.

Chinesium is a specific alloy of steel, in that it has no loving clue what it's supposed to be from melt to melt and from part to part. Reclaimed steel from 500 different places all gets melted down in crucibles that are heated just barely hot enough for the majority of the steel to melt. Because heat costs money. The steel has mild steel I-beams, ball bearings, chrome and nickel containing stainless (if it sticks to the magnet it goes in the melt), and whatever else they think would make a cheaper/more profitable product. The issue is that because they don't hold the heat high enough, long enough, the melt has distinct zones of different alloy compositions. Some areas are super alloy rich, and harder than a file, some are basically mild steel or almost cast iron, and weak as hell because of it.

The end result is anything made from Chinesium can run the gamut from 'perfectly acceptable Harbor Freight wrench' through to 'socket set that explodes into shards the second you try to use it' to 'car water pump casting that cracks in half after 5 hours of use'.

Most of Chinese manufacturing does good work, but you get exactly what you pay for, and when cost is literally the only thing you care about, and 5 cents more per part means it goes to your competitors, you learn how to cut as many corners as humanly possible.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Chinesium is a specific alloy of steel, in that it has no loving clue what it's supposed to be from melt to melt and from part to part. Reclaimed steel from 500 different places all gets melted down in crucibles that are heated just barely hot enough for the majority of the steel to melt. Because heat costs money. The steel has mild steel I-beams, ball bearings, chrome and nickel containing stainless (if it sticks to the magnet it goes in the melt), and whatever else they think would make a cheaper/more profitable product. The issue is that because they don't hold the heat high enough, long enough, the melt has distinct zones of different alloy compositions. Some areas are super alloy rich, and harder than a file, some are basically mild steel or almost cast iron, and weak as hell because of it.

The end result is anything made from Chinesium can run the gamut from 'perfectly acceptable Harbor Freight wrench' through to 'socket set that explodes into shards the second you try to use it' to 'car water pump casting that cracks in half after 5 hours of use'.

Most of Chinese manufacturing does good work, but you get exactly what you pay for, and when cost is literally the only thing you care about, and 5 cents more per part means it goes to your competitors, you learn how to cut as many corners as humanly possible.

don't forget it's most hilarious attribute: radioactivity
https://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/11/business/worldbusiness/11iht-scrap.4.17726238.html

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Imagine the Russians have launched an ICBM at us and the last thing you see is this before you're vaporized.

If the Russians haven't developed Funky Bomb technology yet, I'm gonna be awfully disappointed before I'm turned to dust.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

monolithburger posted:

If the Russians haven't developed Funky Bomb technology yet, I'm gonna be awfully disappointed before I'm turned to dust.

Americans spent 4Trillion inventing the thermonuclear ballistic missile...Russians use a roller-bomb.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

My favorite UPS memory was one time when I was running the tower controlling the belts to the primary and secondary sorts I noticed a jam on one of the belts. My leg was broken from falling off of a ladder a few days before so I couldn't climb down and break the jam but luckily an IE (tech support) guy was there with me and he jumped onto the moving belt to break the jam with his foot.

As the jam broke his foot got stuck in the boxes and pulled off his prosthetic leg. I stopped the belt to let him recover his leg and hop back to the ladder- at this time I caught poo poo from my boss for stopping the belt for too long.

Best driver we ever had, when I was in logistics, was the most hard core MF'r that ever lived. He drove 53's and he could handle any weather possible. He never once missed a pickup or drop, even when it was freezing rain mixed with thunder snow. He never once opened his cheater chain bag behind the cab. He always made it work. I'm pretty sure he could drive across the Pacific if he didn't have to cheat his DOT's. He was a stickler about DOT's.

One Christmas season, like always, the weather was poo poo. He was going up Chaska hill (don''t worry about it, it won't make sense unless you're from Chaska) and he lost grip with a full load. He was probably rocking about 30,000lbs. He lost grip and started sliding backwards. He opened his door and put one foot out but kept the throttle on. It was his lucky day. He caught grip. It worked out, and our product made it to Eagan center on time. He could not be killed by conventional weapons.

I miss him. Best driver I've ever known. Feel free to talk poo poo about other carriers but it doesn't go ground without Brown. UPS is my jam.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

mostlygray posted:

Best driver we ever had, when I was in logistics, was the most hard core MF'r that ever lived. He drove 53's and he could handle any weather possible. He never once missed a pickup or drop, even when it was freezing rain mixed with thunder snow. He never once opened his cheater chain bag behind the cab. He always made it work. I'm pretty sure he could drive across the Pacific if he didn't have to cheat his DOT's. He was a stickler about DOT's.

One Christmas season, like always, the weather was poo poo. He was going up Chaska hill (don''t worry about it, it won't make sense unless you're from Chaska) and he lost grip with a full load. He was probably rocking about 30,000lbs. He lost grip and started sliding backwards. He opened his door and put one foot out but kept the throttle on. It was his lucky day. He caught grip. It worked out, and our product made it to Eagan center on time. He could not be killed by conventional weapons.

I miss him. Best driver I've ever known. Feel free to talk poo poo about other carriers but it doesn't go ground without Brown. UPS is my jam.

He loving fred-flinstoned the whip? That's badass.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

LifeSunDeath posted:

Jump, maybe die vs. stay in the truck and definitely die. He had one foot out the door while making that decision. No less impressive.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

this is the most galaxy brain poo poo I've seen in my life

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

this is the most galaxy brain poo poo I've seen in my life

Is that seriously a ground wire going into a bag of dirt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

LifeSunDeath posted:

"Fred-Flinstoned the Whip" needs to be a thing now. Let's make it a thing!

To be fair, he was looking to jump with his foot on the step but, "Fred Flintstoning" sounds better.