Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Bodies like rotting butchers counters slapping off of each other and making noises like 50 kg of sweaty grey mince being slammed about in a dying cement mixer. Because they don't have to hear Polish anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Kraftwerk posted:

Yeah I have a good friend in the UK that I've known for years who lives in St Albans. He tells me the entire cadre of boomers who are voting this election do not really trust or believe in the UK Government's ability to deliver on any of its promises including the majority of the Labor manifesto. He cites past failures to protect greenbelts, failure to deliver on promised investments in infrastructure and a lack of limits to migration.
Basically I'm told migration, teen pregnancy (not sure how this falls into things) and a complete lack of faith in government has pushed the UK population into a chaotic state where everyone just wants Brexit really badly and that's it. So as boring and awful as it is, it seems "Get Brexit Done" is an effective campaign slogan that is carrying the Tories into an almost unprecedented majority a decade into their term.

But above all else I really have to say I am severely disappointed in the media, especially the Guardian. It's horrifying just how much they're hammering away at this anti-semitism thing just to prevent good things from happening. I can totally see people getting pissed off and start mixing their hatred for the greedy landlords with Jewish people in general and then it all goes downhill from there.

Don't worry, the Tories aren't getting a majority. The best they can hope for is a hung parliament that allows them to totter on a little longer before they're brought down and we have another election. A more likely result is Labour winning and forming the next government.

The tricks have been shocking, and some of them have been effective, but they won't be enough.

:newdanger:

:ntlised:

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

namesake posted:

The media is a business like any other, it is self interested in its own existence above any other motivation and exists as a propagandist or flatterer for the bourgeoisie as a means of survival. Once we prove their internal and constantly self referencing narrative as incompatible with a fair and decent society it will be swept away and replaced by other means of sharing information and actually criticise the oppressive structures we live under. Sadly that's a real uphill struggle and a right pain in the arse to do.

The biggest irony about the optimism of the “Information Age” is that we now have access to all of humanity’s collective knowledge at the touch of a button. Rather than making us smarter these algorithms have contributed to disinformation, tribalism, polarization of political thought and the peddling of ridiculous conspiracy theories. Even the most educated people have limited attention spans and who can get you to pay attention matters more than the content of your message.

I don’t think Brexit or Donald Trump would’ve been possible in the 1990s or in an era where the Internet wasn’t commingled with observable reality and day to day life.

“The Internet makes you stupid” seems almost prophetic now.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Joris Bohnson posted:

There was a big baby boom.
His name is Donald Trump you coward.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kraftwerk posted:

The biggest irony about the optimism of the “Information Age” is that we now have access to all of humanity’s collective knowledge at the touch of a button. Rather than making us smarter these algorithms have contributed to disinformation, tribalism, polarization of political thought and the peddling of ridiculous conspiracy theories. Even the most educated people have limited attention spans and who can get you to pay attention matters more than the content of your message.

I don’t think Brexit or Donald Trump would’ve been possible in the 1990s or in an era where the Internet wasn’t commingled with observable reality and day to day life.

I don't think this really tracks with the people who have spent most of their lives with the internet being far more left wing and far less swayed by the lovely old media.

I think it is very hard to look at the internet and say it's worse then what came before.

All of those things you list existed well before the internet did, and informed people's politics too.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Ah yes, when investigating if a baby boom happened due to the Olympics that took place in July and August of 2012, I should definitely look at birth figures for 2012, I am a serious journalist and understand how pregancies work.

quote:

In an interview with the Sunday Times, the prime minister claimed that “Cupid’s darts will fly once we get Brexit done” and “romance will bloom across the whole nation”. He said there had been a baby boom “after the Olympics, as I correctly prophesied in a speech in 2012”.

Johnson is fond of such claims. When mayor of London, he claimed the “euphoria” in the wake of Team GB’s success at the 2012 Olympic games had led to a surge in births not seen in the capital since 1967, the year after England won the football World Cup.

Across the UK, the number of babies born in 2013 was down on 2012, so no Olympic baby boom there, according to the Office for National Statistics.

ONS tables for England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland showed there were 812,970 babies born in 2012, the year of the games. The following year – when Johnson’s supposed baby boom would have materialised – the numbers were slightly down to 778,805 in 2013.

So the “paroxyms of joy” that Johnson spoke of after Team GB’s gold medal haul did not lead to a baby boom. In London, the ONS also show a small drop in births – from 134,186 recorded for 2012 to 128,332 for 2013.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Kraftwerk posted:

We have developed speed, but we have shut ourselves in.
Machinery that gives us abundance has left us in want.
Our knowledge has made us cynical.
Our cleverness, hard and unkind.
We think too much, and feel too little.
More than machinery, we need humanity.
More that cleverness, we need kindness and gentleness.
Without these qualities life will be violent, and all will be lost.
The aeroplane and the radio have brought us closer together.
The very nature of these inventions cries out for the goodness in men - cries out for universal brotherhood - for the unity of us all.

That criticism isn't new, it's the fact that the left hasn't won yet that's the problem not the level of technological development in society.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

So it doesn't seem like things are going well across the pond, huh. Hopefully Labor can keep them from a majority and the friction of Brexit will force another election before long?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gonzo McFee posted:

50 kg of sweaty grey mince being slammed about in a dying cement mixer.
Please don't disclose TJ's trade secrets.

Kraftwerk posted:

Every high circulation newspaper bar the Mirror* was pro-Leave, I'm not sure that's the internet's fault.

*And the Mail on Sunday, but that's mostly because they have to take a contradictory position to the Mail.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Apraxin posted:

Ah yes, the baby boom in 2012 that was famously caused by the Olympics that took place in July and August of 2012, I am a serious journalist and understand how pregancies work.

Well given how the Olympic Village is it wasn't from lack of trying

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Bodies like rotting butchers counters slapping off of each other and making noises like 50 kg of sweaty grey mince being slammed about in a dying cement mixer. Because they don't have to hear Polish anymore.

Thanks, I hate it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you held the election on twitter it'd be a 200 strong labour majority IMO.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Yer auld Da, Winnie the Poohing it in the front garden with the strongest erection he's had since he was 18, his dick barely poking out under his beer gut like the nose of a malnourished rabbit poking its head out of the den in spring, asking who's gonna sook it because we crashed out of the single market.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I don't think this really tracks with the people who have spent most of their lives with the internet being far more left wing and far less swayed by the lovely old media.

I think it is very hard to look at the internet and say it's worse then what came before.

The Internet has allowed the left wing movements to do an end-run around the suppression they’ve endured since the Reagan-Thatcher era. I agree with you.

But it also gave birth to the alt-right. For every left winger you got on the Internet you also got 3 people who believe literally anything they see on YouTube or another platform.
My father bless his soul fell for YouTube conspiracy theories about Planet X/Nibiru slamming into the Earth and he started stockpiling bottled water and canned foods before my mom and I talked him out of it.

For those of us on the losing end of society it’s easy to lockdown our views toward left wing politics when we’re essentially identical to the generation that was born in the 1920s and grew up in the depression. If we go online we will gravitate towards places and forums where like minded people will reinforce our beliefs and ease our fears and insecurities about a conservative society.

Our enemies on the right do the same and their bar for entry is far lower than ours.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Gonzo McFee posted:

I think I agree with Jaeluni and this sort of thing comes under appearancechat making people feel poo poo about themselves if they fall into the group described or feel they might do.

I'm really tired so I can't really be eloquent or anything. No hostility from me, but I think this is what I think.

Sleep time :tootzzz:

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

Yer auld Da, Winnie the Poohing it in the front garden with the strongest erection he's had since he was 18, his dick barely poking out under his beer gut like the nose of a malnourished rabbit poking its head out of the den in spring, asking who's gonna sook it because we crashed out of the single market.

Christ, it’s too real. I think I met this guy when canvassing last time round

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

If you held the election on twitter it'd be a 200 strong labour majority IMO.
Depends who posted it, if it was Rachel Riley it'd be 100% Jaremy Corben is a rasist (because that would be the only option and only Tracy Olbermann would be allowed to vote)

Braggart posted:

I think I agree with Jaeluni and this sort of thing comes under appearancechat making people feel poo poo about themselves if they fall into the group described or feel they might do.
I'm old and out of shape and generally wobbly to look at, and I absolutely accept nobody wants to see or think about me whacking guts with another lovecraftian horror.

It's not really body shaming when you're not talking about a specific person and this wouldn't have come about if Boris wasn't being horny on main again.

I give it a pass I think.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 8, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

But the right has always done that, and always had the advantage when it mobilizes because it's funded by the rich and liberals both don't really care about it and are systemically incapable of opposing it.

People who are not immersed in an environment that necessitates an alternative explanation for the state of the world will treat politics like a game, and pursue stupid ideas because it doesn't really matter to them, they're looking for something that they can pretend matters because they want to believe in some sort of meaning or great struggle, so they latch onto whatever sounds fantastical enough.

People who do need an explanation but are insulated from a left wing one will also pursue stupid conspiracies because the right tries to recruit them that way. But they always have. Liberal society favours the far right. The existence of a space for us, partly insulated from the media monoliths that sway many other people, that's good for us, and worse for them than the alternative.

If you take the internet out of the picture, what do you have? The complete dominance of the far right press? Leftism relegated to whatever communications it can scrape together outside the media landscape? The internet lets us speak to each other internationally, to see a more complete picture of the world than we ever would through the press, and we can use it to organize comprehensive lenses through which to view the world and spread information, developed from the bottom up, by us.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 8, 2019

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Braggart posted:

I'm really tired so I can't really be eloquent or anything. No hostility from me, but I think this is what I think.

+1

If we can deal with sounding chat, I think we can not make lovely jokes about older people liking to gently caress. And dear god do they like to gently caress, there are some scary articles out there about care homes.

E: Have something we can all agree on

https://twitter.com/Rachael_Swindon/status/1203769376626954240

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Braggart posted:

Old people being horny is funny to me, Gonzo McFee, the boy with the body that resembles a Pro Wrestler in his 50s when the drink and drugs catch up.
:judas:

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

But the right has always done that, and always had the advantage when it mobilizes because it's funded by the rich and liberals both don't really care about it and are systemically incapable of opposing it.

People who are not immersed in an environment that necessitates an alternative explanation for the state of the world will treat politics like a game, and pursue stupid ideas because it doesn't really matter to them, they're looking for something that they can pretend matters because they want to believe in some sort of meaning or great struggle, so they latch onto whatever sounds fantastical enough.

People who do need an explanation but are insulated from a left wing one will also pursue stupid conspiracies because the right tries to recruit them that way. But they always have. Liberal society favours the far right. The existence of a space for us, partly insulated from the media monoliths that sway many other people, that's good for us, and worse for them than the alternative.

I see your point. A lot of the original press companies were just a mouthpiece for the wealthy or for the governments of their founding years. Propaganda predated actual news.

I may have been too hasty with my argument about the internet. After all by that same logic, it would be like saying the printing press strengthened the control the catholic church had over Europe when it did the opposite in the long run.

Being left wing always requires more effort than being right wing. Without information, without objective self criticism and awareness, its just easy to be right wing. The arguments are digestible and make sense in an information vacuum. They make strong emotional, instinctive appeals. Its easier to find solidarity with people who have the same skin colour or accent as you... etc..

To try and organize people along lofty ideological lines is not as easy as the more parochial reasons people organize around it requires you to ignore the easy paths of least resistance. It also requires finding resources and a voice in a society where all the resources, platforms, guns and force is controlled by the people you stand against. Kinda makes me wonder if the reason why the USSR became so insular, paranoid and repressive was because the west dedicated every tool at it's disposal to destroying it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Why does Johnson want a baby boom anyway? If he's slashing the NHS and child/social services then surely that's the last thing you want.

Or is it that alt-right poo poo where you need 100,000 extra poor malnourished unwanted children every year to keep the West because [fash bullshit]?

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Guavanaut posted:

Why does Johnson want a baby boom anyway? If he's slashing the NHS and child/social services then surely that's the last thing you want.

Or is it that alt-right poo poo where you need 100,000 extra poor malnourished unwanted children every year to keep the West because [fash bullshit]?

"Population shift"

Gwaint
Oct 22, 2010

"Music is the truth. Just listen..."
Really positive day canvassing! I can see what people mean when they say it’s slightly addicting. Kind of wish I could keep on doing this. I guess it also feels good because I’m out there with a Labour rosette and making no secret of my stance - in a lot of situations I can often downplay my stance, bring no attention to it because I don’t want to get into arguments with people. I’m no good with arguments. I often get sad and upset if I’m in one.

There’s something about meeting people I know I agree with, going out with them, working together and being a friendly face at the door that’s really exhilarating - and yeah, sometimes you get that one person who wants to debate you with a very set-in stance. It’s been easier than I thought to take the angle of “Put across a few good points, if they’re not convinced, don’t worry and move on”. As long as I keep polite and friendly at the door that might be worth a bonus point or two in my favour. Maybe.

Next election I’m definitely doing this from day one. Hopefully next election will be to keep a Labour majority for five more years!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The semi-international nature of the internet also makes it harder to feel like you're part of a group of people with the same accent or skin colour. You have far more access to information, people, and ideas outside of that. You can't effectively ban things from the internet, you can't exercise overt social control the way nations try.

The USSR's isolationism absolutely was influenced by the fact everyone else was trying to kill it, which is why I think the new left cannot help but be international, because our societies are too interconnected for it not to be.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gwaint posted:

Really positive day canvassing! I can see what people mean when they say it’s slightly addicting. Kind of wish I could keep on doing this. I guess it also feels good because I’m out there with a Labour rosette and making no secret of my stance - in a lot of situations I can often downplay my stance, bring no attention to it because I don’t want to get into arguments with people. I’m no good with arguments. I often get sad and upset if I’m in one.

There’s something about meeting people I know I agree with, going out with them, working together and being a friendly face at the door that’s really exhilarating - and yeah, sometimes you get that one person who wants to debate you with a very set-in stance. It’s been easier than I thought to take the angle of “Put across a few good points, if they’re not convinced, don’t worry and move on”. As long as I keep polite and friendly at the door that might be worth a bonus point or two in my favour. Maybe.

Next election I’m definitely doing this from day one. Hopefully next election will be to keep a Labour majority for five more years!

Most places, as far as I know, do canvassing even outside of an election. If you really like it you can probably do it all year round.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Fun though it is to laugh at older people bumping uglies, you should be more ready to point out that people who support Johnson and the Tories aren't hideous because of their physical appearance, they're hideous because their souls are made of boiled dogshit poured into a mold of swastikas.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Guavanaut posted:

To work against the Great Replacement, naturally.

(plz note to any MI5ers; this is parody in that I myself do not believe in such grotesquely anti-Semitic dross)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Kraftwerk posted:

The Internet has allowed the left wing movements to do an end-run around the suppression they’ve endured since the Reagan-Thatcher era. I agree with you.

But it also gave birth to the alt-right. For every left winger you got on the Internet you also got 3 people who believe literally anything they see on YouTube or another platform.
My father bless his soul fell for YouTube conspiracy theories about Planet X/Nibiru slamming into the Earth and he started stockpiling bottled water and canned foods before my mom and I talked him out of it.

For those of us on the losing end of society it’s easy to lockdown our views toward left wing politics when we’re essentially identical to the generation that was born in the 1920s and grew up in the depression. If we go online we will gravitate towards places and forums where like minded people will reinforce our beliefs and ease our fears and insecurities about a conservative society.

Our enemies on the right do the same and their bar for entry is far lower than ours.

Not actually true though. The alt-right is noisy as gently caress but that's because making GBS threads out a lot of noise on the Internet is extremely easy, and that's before you even account for bots. If you look at the political views of Millennials overall, we're strongly leftwing. Gen Z is even moreso, they're one bad day away from straight up Bolshevism. Yeah, the olds might be taken in by whatever dipshit memes are going around Facebook this week, but they were always smoothbrains we would struggle to reach.

The right is staring down the barrel of a gun. The old world is ending. These are all the paroxysms of a dying order that knows it has run out of air, but has no alternatives and no new ideas. They retrench ever-deeper into nationalism, racism, sexism, queerphobia, and every other form of bigotry, because it's all they have left to offer.

Feldegast42 posted:

So it doesn't seem like things are going well across the pond, huh. Hopefully Labor can keep them from a majority and the friction of Brexit will force another election before long?

Dunno what you've been reading but no, it's looking reasonably positive. Labour has huge energy and hope, the Tories are radioactive, and the Lib Dems have sabotaged themselves so badly they may end up worse off than 2015, most of those votes going to Labour instead.

Guavanaut posted:

Please don't disclose TJ's trade secrets.

You shall rescind this slander that I know was posted specifically and solely to draw my ire, and draw it you have.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

Fun though it is to laugh at older people bumping uglies, you should be more ready to point out that people who support Johnson and the Tories aren't hideous because of their physical appearance, they're hideous because their souls are made of boiled dogshit poured into a mold of swastikas.

Anne Widcombe with her ankles behind her ears, ready to give it up for Brexit, getting her fanny like a chlorinated chicken straight from the can absolutely torn up by Jacob Rees Moggs in a full gimp suit, only recognisable because his nanny sits patiently in the corner of the room reading Nigel Farage's autobiography aloud.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

I continue to find it hard to separate.

These are people who are turning out en-masse to take away my future, my life, and they'll do it with a grin, with glee, with a self assured "oh it doesn't really matter does it" and a blind certainty that everything they've ever done is completely correct. And it's entirely probable that they will go to their graves fat and happy without any hint of doubt, remorse, or suffering to teach them otherwise.

And I am discovering new depths and richnesses of hatred in response. I thought I understood it pretty well to be honest, I've had a lot of reason to hate in life, but this is really giving me a new appreciation for how complex and nuanced hatred can be, how completely you can feel it. It's a little paralysing to be honest. It requires so much of your faculties simply to experience the feeling that you're left with no real impetus to act on it.

I find myself hoping hell is real, to be honest. Because there simply isn't anything I could do in life that would map to the level of hatred I have for these people.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 8, 2019

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

OwlFancier posted:

The semi-international nature of the internet also makes it harder to feel like you're part of a group of people with the same accent or skin colour. You have far more access to information, people, and ideas outside of that. You can't effectively ban things from the internet, you can't exercise overt social control the way nations try.

The USSR's isolationism absolutely was influenced by the fact everyone else was trying to kill it, which is why I think the new left cannot help but be international, because our societies are too interconnected for it not to be.

Strongly agree with this. It's why I'm hoping that one good victory will help bolster others - if the Absolute Boy gets into No. 10 this week it's going to be a huge boost to the left pretty much everywhere, but most especially I think, Bernie.

I also think the left needs to start thinking about how to really boost the idea of working towards the abolition of borders, which is something that's really going to need the long haul approach, but full-on internationalism is the only way any more.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I continue to find it hard to separate.

Who would prefer to spend a romantic dinner with?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

No idea who either of them are but I've been laughed at by enough people looking like the former that I now have an instinctive aversion towards them.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
pull up, thread

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It's Glenda Jackson and Madeleina "EU Supergirl" McKay

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Angepain posted:

pull up, thread

More like pull out, thread

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Looked up jackson and apparently she's responsible for dan hodges.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

dying a patch of hair like that reminds me of how farmers paint a patch onto their sheep so they know who owns what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Looked up jackson and apparently she's responsible for dan hodges.

She was a sex symbol who later dropped out of television and modelling to advocate heavily for socialism as an MP