Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

DoctaFun posted:

If you like cask strength stuff I’d recommend Deanston 9 year Bordeaux finish or Aberlour A’bunadh. My batch of A’bunadh has the most wonderful mouthfeel I’ve ever had in a whisky.

I’ve never had it, but if you like Redbreast you could try their Lustau, which is sherry cask finished I believe.

Seconding these. The "regular" Redbreast 12 and Redbreast 12 Cask Strength are also partially sherry-driven and extremely good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apache
May 11, 2004

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Anyone else happen to get this advent calendar this year?

My wife got it for me either last year or the year before, but now neither Masters of Malt of the Whiskey Exchange will ship to me in FL, so there's no real way to get them. I saw that Flaviar was offering one for 200, but they didn't list which whiskies would be included.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Apache posted:

My wife got it for me either last year or the year before, but now neither Masters of Malt of the Whiskey Exchange will ship to me in FL, so there's no real way to get them. I saw that Flaviar was offering one for 200, but they didn't list which whiskies would be included.

I wish I remembered who sent this to me. Master of Malt linked to it back in September so I preordered and they shipped to me in FL no problem. Must have gotten really lucky by ordering way too early.

I just popped open the window for today and I'm excited for later tonight: Glen Scotia "Victoriana Cask Strength"

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I have the SMWS advent calendar, and so far it's outrageously good.

Today's dram was a lovely 15yo Glenfarclas:

https://www.smws.com/formidable-chocolate

Very satisfying.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

I have the SMWS advent calendar, and so far it's outrageously good.

Today's dram was a lovely 15yo Glenfarclas:

https://www.smws.com/formidable-chocolate

Very satisfying.

How much do these advent calendars cost anyway?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I think with shipping mine came in just under 200.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

DoctaFun posted:

Glendronach 18 is fantastic, and the stuff you can buy right now is actually more like 24 years old even though it’s labeled as an 18 year.

If you like cask strength stuff I’d recommend Deanston 9 year Bordeaux finish or Aberlour A’bunadh. My batch of A’bunadh has the most wonderful mouthfeel I’ve ever had in a whisky.

I’ve never had it, but if you like Redbreast you could try their Lustau, which is sherry cask finished I believe.

The Lustau was one of my favorite bottles. If it wasn't so expensive I would buy it far more often.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Speaking of expensive Redbreast, if you live in CA K&L just got in store pick bottles of the stuff. 14 years old, cask strength, and if their advertising puffery is to be believed, strong but not overwhelming sherry influence.

https://klwines.com/p/i?i=1451324

also if you live outside CA or don't want to blow $100 on a bottle you can live vicariously thru me, since I snagged one myself and will post notes ITT at some point

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Vox Nihili posted:

How much do these advent calendars cost anyway?

This one cost around $220, so not inexpensive, but so far it's worth it.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
gently caress now I have to go buy a bottle of Lustau. Got me thinking about it again.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Whiskey Advocate had their best whiskey thing.

A $36 bottle in bond version of George Dickel won.

http://whiskyadvocate.com/top20/

I regret not picking up the Erza Barrel Strength while I had the chance.

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of :jeb:!

Vox Nihili posted:

Speaking of expensive Redbreast, if you live in CA K&L just got in store pick bottles of the stuff. 14 years old, cask strength, and if their advertising puffery is to be believed, strong but not overwhelming sherry influence.

https://klwines.com/p/i?i=1451324

also if you live outside CA or don't want to blow $100 on a bottle you can live vicariously thru me, since I snagged one myself and will post notes ITT at some point

Please try this and say it's awful so I don't buy it.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Made some shelves for my collection :)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
My wife was lamenting our lack of scotch the other day and I was thinking about surprising her with a bottle for Christmas. Any recommendations for something ~$50? I'm not really a booze person so I wouldn't really know where to start.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Highland Park 12 is pretty middle of the road in the $50 range, assuming this is scotch drank neat or rocks. Personally Laphroaig is my jam at the price point, but peat is a hit/miss thing with some.

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

Radio Nowhere posted:

Highland Park 12 is pretty middle of the road in the $50 range, assuming this is scotch drank neat or rocks. Personally Laphroaig is my jam at the price point, but peat is a hit/miss thing with some.

Yeah, Highland Park was the first thing that came to my mind as well, though it’s hard to say without knowing individual taste.

In the past I’ve also had Balvenie Doublewood recommended to me in that price range, though I haven’t tried it.

My personal favorite is Oban 14, but that’s probably closer to $60.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Glenmorangie is also pretty nice and easy drinking at that price

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Radio Nowhere posted:

Neat/rocks is the idea, yeah. I'll try to ascertain how she feels about peat.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Straight White Shark posted:

Neat/rocks is the idea, yeah. I'll try to ascertain how she feels about peat.

If she likes peat, Laphroaig 10 or Ardbeg 10 are both great and should be ~$50. Choosing between them is kind of a coke vs. pepsi thing, in that just about anyone who likes one also likes the other but may still have a preference between them.

Otherwise, nthing HP 12.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Radio Nowhere posted:

Personally Laphroaig is my jam at the price point, but peat is a hit/miss thing with some.

:same: Oddly, yesterday's dram from the calendar was Laphroaig 10. Was bound to get one I already had a big bottle of eventually.

Not sure if anyone else has tried the Game of Thrones collection, but they're pretty decent so far and I think most of them are in the price range Straight White Shark is looking for.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Not sure if anyone else has tried the Game of Thrones collection, but they're pretty decent so far and I think most of them are in the price range Straight White Shark is looking for.

mentalcontempt posted:

My personal favorite is Oban 14, but that’s probably closer to $60.

They're all pretty good and something different/"feel special" over the basic expressions from the same distilleries
The Night's Watch Oban is a good alternative to the 14 or Little Bay, and it's got the coolest bottle of the set - probably about $55-60 if you can find it.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I'm really loving the Targaryen one this week (Cardhu Gold Reserve), but my favorite is probably Greyjoy (Talisker Select Reserve).

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of :jeb:!
Looks like Trader Joe's is buying Alexander Murray & Co lots for their own label. Local one had a 2000 Dalmore 18 for $58osh and a Glen Moray 13 cask strength 2002 for $35ish I think, along with an actual AM labeled Benrinnes which they have had before.

biggfoo fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 9, 2019

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Looking for a recommendation. I've decided that Talisker Distillers Edition is the Nectar of the gods. I'd like to find other bottles in that wheelhouse.
That Talisker is literally the best spirit I've ever enjoyed and want more like it. I have NOT had anything else from Talisker and will likely grab the 10 and 18 but what else?
The combination of sweet, brine is smoke is truly amazing

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Anyone had the Alexander Murray Laphroaig 12 year, cask strength? It's onsale at my local costco for like 60 bucks and was curious about it.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Carillon posted:

Anyone had the Alexander Murray Laphroaig 12 year, cask strength? It's onsale at my local costco for like 60 bucks and was curious about it.

Got it for $50 here. Worth it.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Trying to see if I like bourbon straight, but need some recommendations. Sorry if I break any major rules by how I currently drink the stuff.

I started drinking Jameson & ginger ale years ago and then started to like Jameson straight, mostly for shots. That evolved into buying some red breast 12 and drinking that straight-I like that and don’t bother with Jameson and ginger ale anymore.

I like old fashioneds and the bar I used to go to used Amador bourbon, which is made in California I believe. So I usually buy that bourbon for making old fashioneds. It’s ok on its own, but I need to put some ice or a little water in it to make it drinkable for me. One time they made me an old fashioned and used some kind of rye and I didn’t like it at all.

So my goal is to find something I can drink on its own. Not sure if it’s possible but the smoother the better, and by smooth I mean “not burning all the way down”.

Any recommendations on things to try?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Buffalo Trace
Elijah Craig Small Batch
Four Roses Small Batch

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
Try something lower proof like Basil Hayden's. It won't burn as much. There's nothing wrong with adding an ice cube or water to something to make it drinkable. Just over time, add less until your pallet gets used to it. I definitely add something to higher proof bourbons. Sometimes it opens up new flavors and it's definitely one of the neat things about whiskey.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Blanton's is one of the smoothest tastiest bourbons I've had. It is one of the few I enjoy.
Four Rose's Single Barrel, or even a store pick if your lucky to have that available to you
Buffalo Trace
Eagle Rare

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Also - In general a single barrel bourbon is going to be less "smooth" than a standard or small batch offering. The two main reasons are the blending usually evens out some of the harshness that the whiskey may have, and single barrel offerings are usually bottled at a higher proof 90-100+, while the basic and small batches are often in the 80-92 range

The major downside of lower proof whiskey is the more water they add at the bottling, more flavor and nuance is lost

Basil Hayden's is actually a great starting point because even it's low proof doesn't sacrifice a lot of flavor, but isn't harsh like some other low proof/higher rye options (cough cough WT80)

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Basil Hayden's on the rocks is great on a hot summer day.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Four Roses Single Barrel is way more potent than I'd recommend to someone new to whiskey.

I'd suggest not going above approx. 90 proof. Four Roses Small Batch is great and what I started with.

I agree with the other suggestions of Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, and Elijah Craig Small Batch. Blanton's too, but it's unobtanium in many areas of the U.S. I've never seen it on a retail shelf.

Bulleit is another option, but I haven't tried it since they switched from sourcing from Four Roses and started selling their own.

Maker's Mark is an easy drinker, if a bit bland. Maker's Mark 46 is great though.

Basil Hayden's is fine but overpriced for what it is, imo. At least around here it became super popular with hipsters and has been priced largely on marketing.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

TobinHatesYou posted:

Basil Hayden's on the rocks is great on a hot summer day.

Splash in some Cocchi and you've basically got a sweet tea cocktail.

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

I recently got a coworker drinking neat bourbon with Evan Williams Bottled-in-Bond. He also liked Maker's 46, Elijah Craig Small Batch, Michter's US1 and a few others, but EW BiB was his favorite and he was elated when I let him take the bottle home. It may have helped that I told him it was a lot more rare and expensive than it actually is.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Elijah Craig and basil Hayden seem easy enough to find, but is Buffalo Trace really rare or something? Total Wine and the ABC (Virginia liquor store) don’t seem to have it in stock.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

nwin posted:

Elijah Craig and basil Hayden seem easy enough to find, but is Buffalo Trace really rare or something? Total Wine and the ABC (Virginia liquor store) don’t seem to have it in stock.

I've never seen it missing from the shelf here in Georgia but apparently they've been having regional shortages?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

nwin posted:

it is and should be readily available, but yeah, I think there's been some distribution issues lately. My local store just got their barrel picks in that they were supposed to get in July

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

nwin posted:

It’s neither rare nor expensive but it is popular

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

nwin posted:

BT's distribution is weird. I've seen shelves full of it outside of Florida. Meanwhile, here I very rarely see regular Buffalo Trace, and I've only ever seen seen Eagle Rare twice. The Total Wine here hides the BT behind the counter and you have to ask for it, and I have never seen ER or Blanton's at Total Wine.