Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

-SD-
May 16, 2005

One of the coolest deaths I've seen lately (pun intented). Physics-powered emergent gameplay at its finest.

https://imgur.com/uHKrZf2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Freezing aura is a deathtrap

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Synthbuttrange posted:

Freezing aura is a deathtrap

It comes in really handy in the later parts of the game, when there's gigantic quantities of sludge, slime, lava, and acid around and you really don't want to touch any of it. This is especially true if you've built a wand around hitting enemies with lots of small projectiles (the triple shot in particular) because those make enemies bleed, and most lategame enemies don't bleed blood.

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

* the lack of healing items or over time regen feels like it's punishing you for not rushing through/taking the path of least resistance through an area. gently caress up an enemy engagement? Well, you've lost 10-30 health, and you're not getting that back without going to the next area, so best get there posthaste. Fooling around more is just gonna lose you more chunks of health, and there will likely be other enemies that might gently caress you up, so you best ignore exploring what you can do in the world and beeline for the exit.
The more exploration you're able to do on a given level, the more money/wands/health upgrades you find, and the better your chances are of making it through to the end of the game. In each zone you're laying the groundwork for being able to make it through the next zone. Honestly this is kind of a problem in an opposite sense to the one you intended -- skilled players find themselves "having" to full-clear the first zone to get as much stuff as possible, because it's relatively safe so why wouldn't you take free stuff?

quote:

* double the last point because there's no checkpoint system of any sort. If you hosed up, you're going back to the mines. Sure, you've played them a bunch before, and were really excited to explore what's different in the new area, but sorry, you need to play this part again. And again. And again.
There's a mod that lets you respawn on death. If you aren't a fan of permadeath then it's worth investigating. It's a singleplayer game; you should play it in whichever manner you most enjoy.

quote:

* the other two points are basically an incentive to ignore using new weapons or items. If you're most familiar using the basic wand, trying to figure out other poo poo is mostly an effective way of failing to kill enemies and losing more health, which you can't recover.
It is certainly the case that sometimes you'll try a new wand or spell and it'll just up and kill you in hard-to-foresee ways. But it's also certainly the case that early-game wands just stop being useful really quickly. Wand design is a core aspect of the game, and figuring out what makes a good wand and how to design effective wands is an important game skill.

quote:

* figuring out clever physics poo poo is fun to traverse areas but doesn't seem useful that often. You may be able to use it based on luck of the draw (whichever wands/potions you encounter), but just walking through the existing terrain to the next stage seems like it always works, is sufficiently efficient, and has far less risk of inadvertently loving yourself over.
I'm not entirely sure what you're referring to here. Making use of the liquid interactions? But anyway, there are several zones where simply walking to the exit is a nontrivial endeavor, due to the zone design favoring narrow corridors with densely-packed enemies. Ideally you have a wand that helps you bypass the worst of that kind of thing, e.g. via black holes.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

-SD- posted:

There actually are a number of ways of getting those precious health points back, even before entering the first Holy Mountain...

What ways are there? Other than finding +HP hearts, I'm super curious since I would very much find that useful. Spoiler it if necessary I guess!

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

What ways are there? Other than finding +HP hearts, I'm super curious since I would very much find that useful. Spoiler it if necessary I guess!

The stupid and functionally worthless method involves mixing up three, randomly generated liquids which produces life essence, a rapidly evaporating potion that heals. Other options include on some levels there are healer enemies who shoot heals at you for some reason, this will probably be patched. There's uh... secret life knowledge orbs that are part of the weird 'beyond the caves' meta game thing that is all way too much effort. killin' worms gives +hp... uh, vampirism?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

+HP hearts don't even heal, they just increase your max health.

The only two ways I know of that don't involve getting ridiculously lucky with alchemy are the Vampirism perk, and a single max-health-restore heart that's in the darkness west of the collapsed mines. That heart is kind of a pain to access when you start the game, as it's underwater, in darkness; it's easier if/when you can access the Twisty Passages and just tunnel through a wall.

I guess there's also an exploit involving a specific enemy that doesn't show up until the Hiisi Base, but usually by the time I get there I'm more interested in causing mass chaos than I am in carefully preserving anyone's health.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Yeah idk what that dude was talking about, healing outside of holy mountains is incredibly hard to come by.

Though am I crazy or do Hisii support units shoot at you by default now? Seems kind of broken.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

edit: also, to whomever made the UI decision where the simplest flask action (tossing a small bit of fire/water/whatever) is on right-click, and the "toss the entire thing, which gets rid of the flask and may cause a large, fatal explosion" is on left-click (you know, the button you use most often because that's how wands work): this is perhaps not the best UX design.

I absolutely agree with this one - go into the options and fix it!

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
The beta branch spells are rad. Most specifically drilling projectile, which causes your ammo to move through solid matter at a slowed rate depending on density... I threw that onto a dormant crystal with damage field and the homing perk and they basically drilled through the entire map sticking to each enemy in turn and killing them one by one, depopulating everything.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

dyzzy posted:

Yeah idk what that dude was talking about, healing outside of holy mountains is incredibly hard to come by.

Though am I crazy or do Hisii support units shoot at you by default now? Seems kind of broken.

it does seem like some patch broke them - you used to have to kick them and slowly deplete their health (or have berserkium) but now they just follow me around and heal me so long as i kill any other enemies

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

-SD- posted:

There actually are a number of ways of getting those precious health points back, even before entering the first Holy Mountain...

This is wrong. There is the full heal heart under the tree (shrouded in darkness you need ONLY wormblood (to drink) or fore knowledge to find), the alchemy potions (one is super rare the other you have to make with random ingredients you don't know without scripts), a rare spell, or a combination of rare spells.

Or vampirism.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

Good posting.

So there are a bunch of spoilers relating to health boosts/ orbs that can help. Look at a map of the game on the wiki. There are 3 to 5 orbs easily accessible at the start. Get the always edit wands mod and the perk choice in cave entrance mod. These make the game 1000% better. There is a mini boss in the pyramid on the surface you can fight for a good wand.

This game has a huge problem with incentivizing the player to not play the game or interact with it in a number of ways

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

edit: also, to whomever made the UI decision where the simplest flask action (tossing a small bit of fire/water/whatever) is on right-click, and the "toss the entire thing, which gets rid of the flask and may cause a large, fatal explosion" is on left-click (you know, the button you use most often because that's how wands work): this is perhaps not the best UX design.

Lmao yeah. Imagine doing that to the one healing potion you alchemized. Feels bad man.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
https://i.imgur.com/05nVx0P.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/LXW4ASW.mp4

:v:

e:
https://i.imgur.com/Q20ayvb.mp4

yeah why not

e again: The reason why not is that electric arc causes explosions and I didn't have immunity. Almost killed myself going through the vault. Replaced it with damage+. Could have put on freeze charge on top of that while still having infinite mana but it was causing me to drop to single digit fps.

bloom fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Dec 9, 2019

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...
I had basically that wand, except with a triple cast on the bouncy green orb spell instead. It was hilarious and maybe a touch over powered - I could fill an entire room with bouncing fields of death before I even went around the corner. It melted almost everything all the way through the temple.

The big green crawly spiders didn't care too much since they only take 1 dmg from it each tick, but a backup quad lightning handled that nicely. The combo carried me all the way through into my first win, subbing in a 0 cast speed/0 recharge speed concentrated light wand to melt through the boss.

-SD-
May 16, 2005

Armadillo Tank posted:

Or vampirism.
...or the Hiisi or the drone healers.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Did we forget about the part where this was supposed to be before going through the holy mountain?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The main thing I want to keep an eye out for is a non-shuffle wand with at least 6 capacity and a recharge time of under a second. Put a trigger spell (ideally spark bolt or magic arrow, since they're fast and have good range) in the first slot, then a multicast (any one will do), then a bunch of other projectiles. Shoot something with the trigger spell, and the other spells will spawn inside them. If you get more capacity, you can start putting projectile modifiers before the multicast, and they'll apply to all of the spells cast by the multicast.

re: building a good wand

can you put multiple projectile modifiers in a row and they will all affect the next projectile in line, and every projectile if it's a multicast? :psyduck: Rarely come across a good non-shuffle wand lately, seems like everything is just shuffle.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

TeaJay posted:

re: building a good wand

can you put multiple projectile modifiers in a row and they will all affect the next projectile in line, and every projectile if it's a multicast? :psyduck: Rarely come across a good non-shuffle wand lately, seems like everything is just shuffle.

Yes. You can think of a projectile modifier as a spell whose effect is "take the next spell in the wand, apply this effect, then cast it". A bunch of different spells all shoved together into a multicast also counts as one "next spell".
You can also put projectile-modifiers-into-multicast-into-whatever after a trigger spell, and the whole lot will go off at once.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Yeah, once you have a nonshuffled wand and a decent trigger spell, you can basically just start stuffing modifiers after the trigger spell, then multicasts, then projectiles. E.g.

[spark bolt with trigger], [damage +], [critical on bloody enemies], [triplecast], [triple shot], [triple shot], [triple shot]

will wreck pretty much any blood-bleeding enemy in the game. The damage+ applies to each individual projectile from the triple shots, so that's +90 damage from the damage+ alone. Each hit generates blood (or slime, oil, etc. depending on target), so you'll get enormous pools of it that will stain the target and their buddies. Even without the critical this is a pretty good wand...though it gets even better if you can find a [heavy shot] spell, since that's +44 damage per projectile, or 396 damage if all 9 bullets land.

-SD-
May 16, 2005

dyzzy posted:

Did we forget about the part where this was supposed to be before going through the holy mountain?
Yeah, Armadillo Tank did by mentioning Vampirism. Then I just ahwhattheheckletsgowiththeflow'd.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

I got a healing field spell the other day with 2 charges. It created a bubble that healed 75 or so HP, not sure if this was a set amount or percentage.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I think it heals at a percentage-based rate?

I finally got to play around with LC (water, oil, slime lol) and it seems to have a similar effect except longer lasting.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
But how did it go through walls?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

"drilling shot"

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

resistentialism posted:

"drilling shot"

Huh, haven't seen that one. Would've been nice to have when I made a homing matter destroying giant explosion on slimed enemies slime cloud wand awhile back, if only to get more shots out of it.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
I've found it several times, even a wand with always cast, but never had tracking with it. That wand seems seriously OP.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

-SD- posted:

Yeah, Armadillo Tank did by mentioning Vampirism. Then I just ahwhattheheckletsgowiththeflow'd.

Sorry. I was listing all of the player controlled things.

An Aside: I personally didn't know the hiisi healers healed you until i saw something on youtube. I just killed everything too fast. Like why the hell would someone think this would happen? Enemies heal you? They shouldn't.

How do you increase the lock-on range of the clouds? Everytime i make those wands they don't seek unless the enemy is close to half way across the screen.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

DOublepost

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Armadillo Tank posted:

An Aside: I personally didn't know the hiisi healers healed you until i saw something on youtube. I just killed everything too fast. Like why the hell would someone think this would happen? Enemies heal you? They shouldn't.

They've taken the hiisi version of the hippocratic oath and they're not gonna break it just because you've slaughtered hundreds of their friends. I for one applaud their strong principles.

Armadillo Tank posted:

How do you increase the lock-on range of the clouds? Everytime i make those wands they don't seek unless the enemy is close to half way across the screen.

Just as a guess I'd say either the increased duration or faster projectile modifier spells.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
If you post a gif of you want you should post a screenshot of the wand itself so we know what spells and such are on it. Because seriously, I want to make that wand.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I think I've thrown some extra random crap on there since then but it's basically the same thing.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
What's that last mist of spirits on there for? Won't that cast directly on top of you and just get you drunk? I mean, if that's how you want to play I won't judge.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Should have +4 (-1)+6 multicast there, I think.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

What's that last mist of spirits on there for? Won't that cast directly on top of you and just get you drunk? I mean, if that's how you want to play I won't judge.

Won't that hexagon pattern multispell spawn all of the spirits?

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
Hah, that wand is nuts. They need like a tutorial on how to make wands before this game is finally released.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
I've noticed that if I put a multi-cast at the end of a wand instead of the beginning, it tends to fire faster. No clue why that is, but I've started to do that in some cases to improve my fire rate.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

CodfishCartographer posted:

Won't that hexagon pattern multispell spawn all of the spirits?

:doh: somehow completely missed the hexacast.

Hamelekim posted:

I've noticed that if I put a multi-cast at the end of a wand instead of the beginning, it tends to fire faster. No clue why that is, but I've started to do that in some cases to improve my fire rate.

I noticed this awhile back. Someone explained that it starts over casting from the beginning of the wand again if you do this, so if your wand leads off with chainsaws or similar you can basically double-dip them and further reduce the recharge time. I haven't yet figured out how to reliably make use of this effect, but like you I try putting multicasts at the ends of my wands sometimes to see if it helps.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Hamelekim posted:

If a multicast is at the end of a wand, it'll wrap around to the beginning looking for spells to cast, but without actually taking those spells out of the next rotation after the wand hits the end, recharges, and starts from the beginning.

So it makes the wand fire faster in the same way that adding X more spell slots and copying the first X spells from the beginning to the end would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I think it works if your wand's cast delay < recharge time, the multicast wraps around to grab a spell so it's like you had two copies of that spell in the wand.

e: beaten like a Hisii healer