Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Nairbo posted:

How in the world was it out of warranty? It hasn't been out for a year yet.

Well I guess I assumed because I bought it as an open box phone and not from an authorized seller? At any rate, the service was free.

Hopefully it will update normally from now on. Apparently despite being an ATT locked phone, it didn't have the minimum software for the OTA service to work, or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

PirateBob posted:

No one has any idea about my Samsung S10e slow charging issue (fast charging not working)? :(

Try this:

Open Settings app.
Tap Device care.
Tap Battery.
Tap More settings icon (three-dots) at the upper right.
Tap Settings.
Look for fast cable charging and toggle the switch. Make sure that it’s moved to the right to turn it on.

Makarov_
Jun 10, 2006

"It's our year" - Makarov_ January 2018

Makarov_ posted:

Bought an unlocked, new Pixel 3a and activated it at AT&T store today. One weird issue - Google Play Store only seems to work with carrier data. When I connect to my WiFi (other apps like chrome, gmail work fine) it won't download an app. Hell, can't even use the play store search function. It acts like it's not connected to a network.

Tried the usual - deleting cache, deleting user data, rebooting. I'm stumped.

One thing - when I look at my google account settings it doesn't mention the play store app. If it's that, would appreciate knowing how to link it.

Update - the phone worked fine on public WiFi but not on my home (Comcast) network. Called Comcast and they did something remotely to the modem (or settings) and fixed the issue. A simple modem reset didn't do the trick. Basically, the phone took an unusually long time to connect to home WiFi and obtain internet access. When it did, the Google Play Store did not work reliably. Sometimes I could download or update 1 app before it stopped working, and others none at all. Sometimes other apps (browser, etc) would work sometimes not.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Wow Comcast is trash.

Are you using a modem/router combo provided by Comcast?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is there a good weather app that functions properly?

I have a S10 and used to use weather underground. I switched to accuweather but am still having the same issues:

1 - it never loads on a reboot
2 - it never updates the weather on its own

I just want the weather app to work w/out me having to babysit it.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

Is there a good weather app that functions properly?

I have a S10 and used to use weather underground. I switched to accuweather but am still having the same issues:

1 - it never loads on a reboot
2 - it never updates the weather on its own

I just want the weather app to work w/out me having to babysit it.

I like Yahoo weather myself

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Nairbo posted:

I like Yahoo weather myself

I used that for a long time. While it was a pretty app, I'd keep getting "it'll rain in ten minutes" notifications hours after the rain began.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

What about Dark Sky? Some people liked it at some point.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
the weather app on the iphone is something I miss, that and the compass/bubble level one.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheLawinator posted:

What about Dark Sky? Some people liked it at some point.

I use and love Dark Sky. I've found it's pretty reliable for predicting rain and it's always within two inches for snowfall predictions (which is especially nice because the local news stations have gotten really Chicken Little about snow the past few years).

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'll check out dark sky.

I really liked weather underground before. I just wonder if I am doing something wrong. It seems weather should update on its own but I haven't had it work in a while. Not since my S4. Even my S7 never updated.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Not sure where in the world you are, but unfortunately Dark Sky is US only.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Someone in app thread suggested weather kitty but I have no idea how that alerts/fires on restart. It looks like they just use dark sky data anyway.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

mfny posted:

So how is Xiaomi, or OPPO.. or Honor ? also Sony have some nice phones to, decent specs and decant pricing used though they are a bit behind in design.

It is amusing if people are recommending me Huawei because other manufactures are into shady stuff, when Huawei have been hammered with bad PR for the last few years for such things. But they are seemingly still very popular ? I don't get it.

Because the latest Huawei phones are frankly pretty spectacular. If you can get the p20 or p30 go for it.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

Wow Comcast is trash.

Are you using a modem/router combo provided by Comcast?

Their service usually is fine these days, but for sure get your own Modem and Router and don't rent their crap combo garbage.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I use my own router with their modem/router in bridge mode and all works fine, used to have issues in evening and weekends when using their router that went away after doing that. I guess the equipment didn't handle too well being both a modem and a router processing wise but does the modem part fine.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Works for me in the UK

mfny
Aug 17, 2008

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Because the latest Huawei phones are frankly pretty spectacular. If you can get the p20 or p30 go for it.

These would be my options then ?

Huawei P20 Standard and Lite
Xiaomi Redmi Note 7
Xiaomi Redmi Poccophone F1
Vivo Nex A
Motorola Moto G7 Plus

The "tier" of these options may be a bit all over the place but I am going on used pricing from CeX not retail, I have to assume buying again from CeX due to how the return may work on the 5t.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

CLAM DOWN posted:

Eh?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

OhFunny posted:

Try this:

Open Settings app.
Tap Device care.
Tap Battery.
Tap More settings icon (three-dots) at the upper right.
Tap Settings.
Look for fast cable charging and toggle the switch. Make sure that it’s moved to the right to turn it on.

Like I said, it's not working. Of course I've turned it on.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

mfny posted:

These would be my options then ?

Huawei P20 Standard and Lite
Xiaomi Redmi Note 7
Xiaomi Redmi Poccophone F1
Vivo Nex A
Motorola Moto G7 Plus

The "tier" of these options may be a bit all over the place but I am going on used pricing from CeX not retail, I have to assume buying again from CeX due to how the return may work on the 5t.

Most of my family uses Xiaomi phones, so I can give some insight here.

The Pocophone F1 is probably the cheapest phone with an SD845 out there, so specs-wise, you're getting some bang for the buck. Camera is decent but has no OIS.

What can turn off some users is Xiaomi's MIUI OS, since it's a departure from how the UI on Pixel/Android One phones are. However, if you can get used to it, it does come with regular updates and Android 10 has been confirmed.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008

anakha posted:

Most of my family uses Xiaomi phones, so I can give some insight here.

The Pocophone F1 is probably the cheapest phone with an SD845 out there, so specs-wise, you're getting some bang for the buck. Camera is decent but has no OIS.

What can turn off some users is Xiaomi's MIUI OS, since it's a departure from how the UI on Pixel/Android One phones are. However, if you can get used to it, it does come with regular updates and Android 10 has been confirmed.

Cheapest price for the Xiaomi Poccophone F1 is £190 for B grade. And is indeed the only phone on my list with a 845. P20 is a Kirin 970.. no idea how that compares to the 845 ? the rest are lower tier Snapdragon's..

Software updates to me are very important btw.. and I do note that Xiaomi has a good reputation in this regard it seems.

mfny fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Dec 8, 2019

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

The Douglas branch shows to have a Google Pixel 2 and 2XL available for 185 and 175 respectively. I think they'll only get guaranteed updates for another year, but if getting updates is important to you, then at least those are there.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Recently I've noticed my Pixel 3 popping up the fingerprint authentication prompt when I'm not trying to authenticate with anything. Sometimes it even shows up when the phone is locked. Any ideas why this is happening? I haven't installed anything shady or from outside the Play Store.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008

Branch Nvidian posted:

The Douglas branch shows to have a Google Pixel 2 and 2XL available for 185 and 175 respectively. I think they'll only get guaranteed updates for another year, but if getting updates is important to you, then at least those are there.

Really not sure on the Pixel 2, it looks "old" and honestly with so many "modern looking" options at my price point it kind of seems very meh also it is OLED and is 2 years old at this point so likely id have similar issues with burn in as the Oneplus 5t I am returning.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Assistant has taken a nose dive on my P4 since launch and I have no idea what's caused it. It's started crashing during searches, showing the "Google has stopped responding" message and restarting itself. It's also been having some significant issues with the voice recognition and pulling proper results. For example, saying "hey Google, what time is the Patriots game next weekend" will bring up the results of LAST week's game. I went through a couple iterations of that without success, and the only way to get it to work was to be so verbose I might as well have just googled it manually and saved the time spent having to say "OK Google - what time is the Patriots game against the Chiefs on December 8th?"

It's kind of bumming me out, even though I hardly use voice commands as it is. But then again, maybe that's why I notice it, because I use it so infrequently that when it stops working, it's all that much more apparent.

Conversely, if you just type "Patriots" into search, it brings up the usual schedule table and you can expand it to see all games past and future. There's some unfinished integration between Google search results and how it populates them while using Assistant it seems.

barnold fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Dec 8, 2019

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

What????

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

PirateBob posted:

Like I said, it's not working. Of course I've turned it on.

Anything junking up the charging port? I once had a lot of plastic particles from work blocking the port of my 6P.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

What's the cheapest not-total-poo poo Android phone/tablet out there? I want a dedicated device to use as a Kodi remote. Fire HD tablet?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

OhFunny posted:

Anything junking up the charging port? I once had a lot of plastic particles from work blocking the port of my 6P.

No it's brand new.

But today I let it drain to 0% in an attempt to reset the battery (which takes some doing, actually. Playing 1080p video at full brightness only took off 30% in 4 hours).

And now it charged from 0-90% in around 70 minutes. Good enough for me. :D

Edit: the last 5% are taking forever though, but I think that's normal.

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 8, 2019

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Was Dark Sky once widely available, and they just back pedaled? I could swear I have used it before.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

cr0y posted:

What's the cheapest not-total-poo poo Android phone/tablet out there? I want a dedicated device to use as a Kodi remote. Fire HD tablet?

Fire tablets are cheap, but make sure you can get the software.

I'm sure you can find whatever 7" Samsung is selling on sale or refurbished for pretty cheap.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Branch Nvidian posted:

No. You have to download the update and tell it to install for the process to start.

Incorrect. It installed itself

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Whoops, never had that happen before, they've always prompted me.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Questions:

1. Android 10, Samsung S10e: Why does it think I want to scroll up/down every time I touch the loving screen? It's often hard to bring out the menu from the left on apps like discord and reddit because it thinks I'm trying to scroll vertically when actually I'm dragging very close to 100% horizontally. WTF? Even tapping on a link can be misinterpreted as an attempt to scroll vertically if the screen isn't completely still, and it takes too long to settle after a vertical scroll.

Any way to adjust this bullshit?

2. Is there really no way to remove default apps like Facebook? I can only deactivate it, I see no option to uninstall, and these apps get reactivated when they get auto-updated.

3. Does fast charging "burn out the battery"? I read this somewhere. Should you preferably use slow charging when you're not in any rush, e.g. charging overnight?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

PirateBob posted:

3. Does fast charging "burn out the battery"? I read this somewhere. Should you preferably use slow charging when you're not in any rush, e.g. charging overnight?
Charging and discharging are chemical reactions that generate heat. The more the faster the action. Heat degrades the chemistry. So ideally you slow charge overnight, to maximize battery life.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

PirateBob posted:

Questions:

You really don't have to think about it or janitor it. The manufacturer has done the work of limiting the design and output to a safe level. You'll be on to your next phone long before this will be an issue.

OnePlus for example uses proprietary chargers that contain the rectifier and other associated hardware within the charger instead of the phone. The charger has a larger heatsink than a phone can contain, and thus allows higher current without heat buildup inside your phone.

Just plug in and enjoy going from 25-85 in a flash. Don't worry about it!

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Tried to use assistant to create a calendar appointment from an email. Squeezed my phone, thinking it would have a "what's on my screen" button. It didn't, so I typed "what's on my screen" in the box and it replied with

quote:

To find info about what's on your screen, touch and hold the Home button, and tap "What's on my screen?"
For the heck of it, I switched from gesture nav to 3-button, held it down and the button isn't there. I can't recall a time assistant has successfully done anything for me aside from telling me the weather.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

butt dickus posted:

Tried to use assistant to create a calendar appointment from an email. Squeezed my phone, thinking it would have a "what's on my screen" button. It didn't, so I typed "what's on my screen" in the box and it replied with

For the heck of it, I switched from gesture nav to 3-button, held it down and the button isn't there. I can't recall a time assistant has successfully done anything for me aside from telling me the weather.

If you use Gmail, the date and appointment should be a hyperlink. Click that and you should be taken to calendar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

mfny posted:

Cheapest price for the Xiaomi Poccophone F1 is £190 for B grade. And is indeed the only phone on my list with a 845. P20 is a Kirin 970.. no idea how that compares to the 845 ? the rest are lower tier Snapdragon's..

Software updates to me are very important btw.. and I do note that Xiaomi has a good reputation in this regard it seems.

According to benchmarks, the Kirin 970 ranks about equal to the SD835 but below the SD845. The P20 would then be more comparable to the Pixel 2 in terms of benchmarks while the Poco's benchmarks would be more comparable to those on the Pixel 3.

Ultimately, you're not likely going to see much difference performance-wise unless you're heavy into gaming. LineageOS is available for both devices, so you have flexibility to change ROMs later if you wish.