Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Egg noodles with cottage cheese are a common Ashkenazi Jewish dish called lokshen mit kaese, and there’s a Hungarian version that also has grated onion (or at least did in the restaurant I used to go to) called turos csusza.

Edit to add a recipe for turos csusza because it is so good. You can substitute grated onions or scallions for the chives if you want to follow that old restaurant’s lead.

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 02:05 on Dec 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

sweeperbravo posted:

I'm still catching up on the thread but I thought my mom was the only person in the world who did this often enough for me to notice it. Or you're my sister, in which case hi

My mom does the same thing but is classy enough not to use instant coffee, she just makes a pot once a week and leaves it out in the coffee maker to slowly go bad while she pours off a cup to microwave occasionally.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Holy crap, thank you for mentioning the name.

I ate that at a wedding 20 years ago, liked it, but could only recall was the color.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

Rollersnake posted:

I ate a lot of egg noodles with cottage cheese (and/or sour cream) growing up, and it wasn't until I did some research that I realized this wasn't just some white trash recipe my mom came up with. Turns out it's a very common Slovak-American thing, because it's kind of a facsimile of the Slovak national dish bryndzové halušky, made with stuff that would have been readily available in the US.

That recipe sounds delicious, potato dumplings and cheese is always a good mix.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lol

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
I'm making a veal blanquette (stew) and I used violet carrots in it and it turned the whole thing pink instead if white/beige. I mean of course it would but I wasn't really thinking about the resulting color.

SpaceGoatFarts has a new favorite as of 18:48 on Dec 8, 2019

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I'm making a veal blanquette (stew) and I used violet carrots in it and it turned the whole thing pink instead if white/beige. I mean of course it would but I wasn't really thinking about the resulting color.

Huh, so violet carrots will turn a stew pink while orange carrots won't turn a stew orange. Neat.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

CannonFodder posted:

Huh, so violet carrots will turn a stew pink while orange carrots won't turn a stew orange. Neat.

Yeah for reference it should look like this

But I knew something was wrong when the carrots started to color the cutting board. They are basically red beets in carrot format.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Pepto soup looking good.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Report: Orange Vanilla Coke tastes like an ice cream float made with a Creamsickle. It's alright 6/10

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

CannonFodder posted:

Once I was making a Thai-inspired chicken soup, and was low on fish sauce. We had a tiny tin of cheap cavier from World Market, so I shrugged and tossed it in, thinking it would add some fishy/salty taste and it was better to use it than throw it out.

It turned the soup teal.

Dienes has a new favorite as of 23:40 on Dec 8, 2019

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Randaconda posted:

Report: Orange Vanilla Coke tastes like an ice cream float made with a Creamsickle. It's alright 6/10

Yeah, it's pretty benign.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah, it's pretty benign.

Yeah, it's fine.

but bring back diet coke with lime, tia

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I like the cinnamon coke they have out now.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Dienes posted:

Once I was making a Thai-inspired chicken soup, and was low on fish sauce. We had a tiny tin of cheap cavier from World Market, so I shrugged and tossed it in, thinking it would rear end some fishy/salty taste and it was better to use it than throw it out.

It turned the soup teal.

Our local hockey team's color is teal. There is a sushi counter in the arena. And yes, somebody decided that that means they need to serve sushi with bright teal rice. Like, on purpose.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Bees on Wheat posted:

Our local hockey team's color is teal. There is a sushi counter in the arena. And yes, somebody decided that that means they need to serve sushi with bright teal rice. Like, on purpose.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

:shrug:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Dienes posted:

Once I was making a Thai-inspired chicken soup, and was low on fish sauce. We had a tiny tin of cheap cavier from World Market, so I shrugged and tossed it in, thinking it would rear end some fishy/salty taste and it was better to use it than throw it out.

It turned the soup teal.

Tonight I'm having pozole verde which is an odd shade of green from the tomatillos and poblanos and cilantro.

Not sure how I would handle a teal soup.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/hellfrasier/status/1203363171286822912

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Bees on Wheat posted:

West coast hockey was a mistake.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Eh, there's a dessert where I come from which is sweet blue rice, so it doesnt bother me really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3giCEOBxv4
Its quite pretty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0JNgrkL7Ag
Though some presentations leave a lot to be desired.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I would gently caress that grinch.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I found some pics of that 50s theme restaurant that got posted some pages back, the one serving food on shovels.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

Eh, there's a dessert where I come from which is sweet blue rice, so it doesnt bother me really.

Its quite pretty.

Oh cool, another Malaysia goon. Breaking out the blue rice is always fun, although I prefer onde-onde or kuih ketayap.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

That's definitely a hand in the middle with the fingers cut off around the knuckle.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Admiral Joeslop posted:

That's definitely a hand in the middle with the fingers cut off around the knuckle.

https://i.imgur.com/aJaTIIw.gifv

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

I can't believe my first question about this was "why is it in a barn?"

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

I found some pics of that 50s theme restaurant that got posted some pages back, the one serving food on shovels.

It seems weird to theme a restaurant around an era when China wound up getting hit by a devastating famine. I was trying to think something similar and the closest I got was a food that was eaten in desperation in Cambodia becoming a tourist attraction.

That food is spiiiideeeeerrs

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

It seems weird to theme a restaurant around an era when China wound up getting hit by a devastating famine.

What famine? Sounds like foreign lies to me.

There are also Cultural Revolution theme restaurants where they put a dunce cap on you and scream in your face while you eat gruel. Supposedly each one has at least one actual Red Guard working there for authenticity.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Synthbuttrange posted:

Its quite pretty.

Actually, blue sticky rice doesn't bother me at all because that poo poo is delicious. Artificially colored neon blue sushi, though.. something about that triggers my :barf: instinct..

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

The focus on this image is very upsetting.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Can only imagine what kind of serious scam the "Git-R-Done foundation" is.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Randaconda posted:

Yeah, it's fine.

but bring back diet coke with lime, tia

I'm not a Pepsi drinker, but I really liked Lemon Pepsi when it existed.

AweStriker posted:

I like the cinnamon coke they have out now.

:same: I think it's my new favorite coke, too bad it's limited :(

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Apparently Lewis Black and Larry the Cable Guy are really good friends

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Apparently Lewis Black and Larry the Cable Guy are really good friends

David Cross used to rag on Larry the Cable guy a lot. He developed a persona after a failed comedy career being himself. Followed the Foxworthy method of catch phrase/call and response style comedy which is just lazy. And now people identify with the fake character he portrays, because america puts lead in the drinking water.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nqm-vKWEkoU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I'm aware that Larry the Cable Guy is a character played by a comedian and that "Git-R-Done" is his catch phrase... but what does "Git-R-Done" mean? And in what context does he say it?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LifeSunDeath posted:

David Cross used to rag on Larry the Cable guy a lot. He developed a persona after a failed comedy career being himself. Followed the Foxworthy method of catch phrase/call and response style comedy which is just lazy. And now people identify with the fake character he portrays, because america puts lead in the drinking water.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nqm-vKWEkoU

I don't like his humor, but playing a character is nothing new in stand-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sure, every stand-up has a character, but there's playing a character and there's playing a caricature and then there's playing a caricature and going in 110% on marketing and catchphrases.