Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Agony Aunt posted:

Well, we know this considering they have repeatedly worked on things not on the roadmap, like their new Battlefield mode that they worked on for over 6 months.

Here's a thought. Perhaps if they stopped working on things they are not on the roadmap, maybe more roadmap items would get done!

True, if they can just finish the roadmap items such as "FPS: Coverage Usage v1" this game will truly be magnificent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Popete posted:

This is the good stuff. Their own roadmaps don't even line up. So when all of a sudden it's end of Q4 and everything seems to magically jump to %90 completetion it's worth looking at what was originally scheduled for Q4 back in December 2018 to see things shuffled around or just completely dissappear off the map.

Their road maps mean nothing, it's completely arbitrary and vague "Missions more fun v2".

I legit can't loving read these things.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Crobear relaxing in his natural habitat

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Rotten Red Rod posted:

:shrug: Here's their explanation:

1. Whitebox Narrative:

2. Whitebox Playable:

3. Greybox:

4. Production:

5. Polish:

6.Tier-0 Implementation

7. Refactor

:D

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

I went a whole page without seeing a shitpost from reddit. It's a Christmas miracle.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Thoatse posted:

Crobear relaxing in his natural habitat

The king stay the king.

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?

Hannibal Rex posted:

The king stay the king.

DSmart comin' yo!

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I never thought I'd see a refund cascade, let alone create one.... Oh, hello Gordon.

Perfection.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Quavers posted:

Guard Frequency podcast chat about the CI!G & Turbulent share purchase/transfer

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/518156615?t=0h49m0s

Interesting takes. So he's saying:

- Turbulent not involved here as a company exactly, it's all the founders and their shares.

- The share 'swap' means Turbulent can peg their stock value to CIG's crazy private investor valuation. (And they can tout around for loans / venture capital off the back of that).

And then as more speculative takes:

- It's interesting that CIG created more shares, diluting their investors cut (if only by 0.1%), whereas Turbulent seemingly used existing shares. This would have annoyed the Calders. Not something you'd do for no reason.

- Praise Ortwin. He's likely got a boot off their neck, in terms of a debt owed (and/or threat of removal of service / court case), in a way that looks like a win to outside world.

- Suggests they did it once the November cash was in.

- Regarding the board placements, although they're still a minority shareholder, could allow them to cause trouble if Turb had thoughts of upping sticks / marketing their whale-fracking tech to other proto-CIGs

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

UnknownTarget posted:

Let me clarify it for you.

Between the Dec 2018 and Dec 2019 Roadmap, here is the progress (note: I'm excluding phases that are currently in progress, since they haven't been completed yet, so we don't know if they're close to completion.. or barely started):

Number of phases that progressed to the next stage: 14

80% of those are simply entering stage 1 (yep!).

Number of phases left to be completed in 2020: 101.

In other words, in 2019, they completed 14 phases and still have to complete 101 to be ready for the launch next year.

At that rate, it'd take another 6 years of work.

Disclaimer: phase numbers might be slightly off, counting them by hand was a pain and I didn't double-check the results.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

trucutru posted:

Problem is that CIG is not actually giving anybody (either the fans or us) any actual red meat. Long gone are the times where the goon family would get together to watch the latest 10ftc. We're surviving on second hand schadenfreude by now.

The usual powers that be checked out at a very noticeable time. Like 2 years ago now or something.

There was some fight or conflict over yet another Sandi moment, and then like a switch the whole PR campaign they were engaged with totally ended.

That's fine since a grown up company doesn't really engage users like how CIG was doing. But at the same time, usually those C-Suite type people have also made the company solvent and retired off of their hard fought profits. In CIGs case, they just retired off of pure donations for the game and at least one of them went off to go star in terrible Hollywood and high schooler movies in LA.

While that's probably not what should have happened, it did. And they keep taking people's money too. That's kind of the scummy side of it. So while hovering in all this money that should go for the game but doesn't seem to be 100% going towards it, the usual comedy is also gone from the fruit loops doing the taking.

These days it's very obvious "give us your money. And gently caress yourself as well." geared to not only the people looking for comedy but also the backers as well. :shrug:

That, unfortunately, is why the posters of reddit are big news these days. They keep burning pre-CIGs marketing campaign of "attack any doubters!" Rather than new-CIGs attitude of "gently caress all of you guys, and just give us money."

They don't care how hostile they look, how greedy, or how lovely their developments and deployments are anymore, because they don't have to. They checked out long ago and people are still flooding them with cash. It's a pretty sweet gig! They don't need to justify anything so long as nobody threatens to tip the wagon too far and starts to piss the backers off.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

UnknownTarget posted:

Uh...how do I enable PMs? I've tried searching but to no avail.

Edit: oh I have to upgrade to platinum? What is this, star citizen? I'll have to pass then, can't justify spending the $10 right now.

$248,902,021 - Sabreseven <- Next in line! Have fun!
$249,842,042 - The Titanic
$250,000,000 - UnknownTarget
$250,424,242 - Quavers
$251,000,000 - zebedy No PM.
$251,227,605 - Zzr No PM

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

UnknownTarget posted:

TBF what we're looking at are the fan-made summaries, not the official ones on RSIs site. They're made to be quickly readable by backers already familiar with the roadmaps.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

no_recall posted:

$250,424,242 - Quavers
$251,227,605 - Zzr No PM

Awesome, thankyou :)

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rotten Red Rod posted:

TBF what we're looking at are the fan-made summaries, not the official ones on RSIs site. They're made to be quickly readable by backers already familiar with the roadmaps.

It's still better, though, because RSI site has no history and comparing anything to check on progress is a pain. The most open development ever my rear end.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Tokamak posted:

The turn SSOCS made from jesus tech to 'tier 0 early days' once it hit PTU is wild. It's been a while since we've had that happen, and it seems like the citizens are still happy to make excuses for CIG under delivering.

They should be happy it doesn't work fully, because the technology hadn't yet caught up to the computing masterpiece that CR is crafting by hand for them each day.

But if they were smart, they would realize this is only the tier 0 of SSHOS and followed up with PAANZ. That's where we will start to see things really come together. This is all the kind of normal software development lifecycle processes and happenings we should see with every company. So far nothing is unusual and I for one am glad that 7-8 years in they have decided to randomly start developing an arena team death match FPS game. This is exactly what I had dreamed Star Citizen was going to be.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Scruffpuff posted:

I remember when CIG first trotted out the "Tier-0" phrase, which was a really, really obvious way to say they were going to "put something in" but don't expect it to work. Basically their version of "stub code." I remember hoping that I wasn't going to see the cult going and repeating this stupid, stupid phrase, and they added it to their lexicon the very same day. There's nothing too stupid for Chris Roberts, and nothing Chris Roberts does is too stupid for his supporters. This is Scientology 2.0 and we will die as it goes on forever. (Not as a game, though.)

On the other hand, Chris Roberts is developing a ton of new words and software concepts that help to imply "we're way off schedule, no hope in sight, this project is hosed sideways."

Tier-0 = We have this piece of code a jr developer made and it worked we think on his/her dev instance so we're just throwing it in and hoping for the best.

<some acronym> = We have something nobody has actually QAed and proven it works... so uh here you guys go I hope it works out for you.

Early Days = Any normal company that requires some product output to survive would have killed this project after it hit the 2-years overdue mark. We have no idea what we're building anymore.

Jesus Patch = This patch is definitely going to make everything work, so you should buy your fleet today! Once released it is actually just Tier-0 or <some acronym>. This version +1 is always the Jesus patch.

In normal software development, there is no real equivalent term except for maybe the concept of Tier-0 as some hotfix that everybody hopes works after hasty QA and everything is on fire in production. But there should be safeguards to prevent that from happening in production.

It's an important distinction to realize that there is no solvent company afloat, operating under normal business requirements for product delivery, would be at this stage. The project would have either been cancelled long ago, or rethought and delivered ages ago in some other fashion (like figuring out a doable MVP that would turn a profit).

There is no company in the world that would let some manager/CEO simply "absolve" himself of running a project into the ground so hard it became a crater big enough to fit all of Skyrim inside it. There is a board, and usually this board actually expects results. Otherwise head roll and new people are installed that can make things work and do all the necessary reenvisioning.

CIG, as a game company, is a huge failure.

CIG, as a marketing company, is hugely successful. They've been able to market demos of bullshit and pretty pictures to people for near 8 years while still keeping people believing that the next patch is going to fix everything.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

no_recall posted:

$250,424,242 - Quavers
$251,227,605 - Zzr No PM

All those poor plebs that don't support the Best drat Gay Comedy Forum Ever :colbert:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

The Titanic posted:

CIG, as a marketing company, is hugely successful. They've been able to market demos of bullshit and pretty pictures to people for near 8 years while still keeping people believing that the next patch is going to fix everything.

it is truly, truly astonishing to me that not only do these people think that 3.8 is finally going to be the Jesus Patch, but also that after 3.8 they will instantly move on to think that 4.0 will be the Jesus Patch.
they never loving learn.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Scruffpuff posted:

Do they have concrete examples of any of this bullshit? Or just page after page of "take our word salad for it?"

Has there ever been a convention or something else where CIG shows they have taken a concept to completion before jumping to the next concept?

It's not easy to keep a project on track, and harder still when your manager is ADD and every new movie comes out with something cool the movie he copied 6 months ago didn't have.

This is why CIG is in a constant state of building fake demos while some tiny core team plugs away at the PU trying to get all these new half baked ideas half baked into the game while also trying to rig the next greatest ship into the game also so it can be sold for big bucks.

If anything above all else, CRs inability to focus on a goal is what killed Star Citizen. Even without project management (which is a whole other disaster for him), if he just stuck to some MVP goal from the outset you'd probably be buying Star Citizen 1 for $7.99 from a steam sale today.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

quote:

3.9 Starting to look more and more impossible.. I just hope the dynamic mission and the rest of gameplay loops make it on time

quote:

They always have a huge scope in upcoming releases and then move 50% or more to later patches. So yes, it will not be released as on this picture. No way :)

quote:

Wasn't there new way of scheduling supposed to fix that?

quote:

There is no perfect model. They’re doing much better than they used too.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

quote:

Lots of great improvements listed but there is still no mention of science-based gameplay like research and exploration. While I can see exploration being pushed off until the systems are large enough to explore it seems like it'd be easy to drop in wandering NPCs with missions to identify objects in sealed containers or wandering wormholes that need to be located.

quote:

One thing I think is there's a tonne of cool long term gameplay you could make science wise.

For example I liked what they were saying about breeding plants. With a rule like "if you cross two seeds you get half the attributes of one parent and half of the other" that could make amazing gameplay for years. Find a shrub with nice blue flowers and a tall tree? Cross them and hope to get a tall tree with nice blue flowers etc.

Then there'd be loads of gameplay around finding new plants with new attributes, breeding cool new strains, mass cultivating plants which people have need of etc.

Imo that's the sort of gameplay they should focus on, where you build a robust underlying system which will provide thousands of hours of gameplay. Missions are all well and good but it's really hard for a finite team to make them faster than dedicated players go through them.

You could also do a similar thing pretty easily with alloys. So you can make a mix of any of the metals in the game and then it's properties are determined by it's makeup. That means people can spend years making and testing different metals for different purposes (like maybe one dissipates heat better but is weaker etc).

quote:

Love this!!

the real game is using your imagination to imagine what the game could be :trustme:

e:

quote:

Wait. New Babbage landing zone interiors in 3.9? We can land at microtech but can't go inside??

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

The Titanic posted:

The usual powers that be checked out at a very noticeable time. Like 2 years ago now or something.

There was some fight or conflict over yet another Sandi moment, and then like a switch the whole PR campaign they were engaged with totally ended.

That's fine since a grown up company doesn't really engage users like how CIG was doing. But at the same time, usually those C-Suite type people have also made the company solvent and retired off of their hard fought profits. In CIGs case, they just retired off of pure donations for the game and at least one of them went off to go star in terrible Hollywood and high schooler movies in LA.

While that's probably not what should have happened, it did. And they keep taking people's money too. That's kind of the scummy side of it. So while hovering in all this money that should go for the game but doesn't seem to be 100% going towards it, the usual comedy is also gone from the fruit loops doing the taking.

These days it's very obvious "give us your money. And gently caress yourself as well." geared to not only the people looking for comedy but also the backers as well. :shrug:

That, unfortunately, is why the posters of reddit are big news these days. They keep burning pre-CIGs marketing campaign of "attack any doubters!" Rather than new-CIGs attitude of "gently caress all of you guys, and just give us money."

They don't care how hostile they look, how greedy, or how lovely their developments and deployments are anymore, because they don't have to. They checked out long ago and people are still flooding them with cash. It's a pretty sweet gig! They don't need to justify anything so long as nobody threatens to tip the wagon too far and starts to piss the backers off.

What has really amazed me over the past year or so, is just how openly contemptuous of the backers everyone at CIG has become. Jared will laugh on camera at their expectations of a finished game in a less than geological timescale, Sandi doesn’t even bother to show up and half-rear end justify her huge paycheck, and Chris mostly stays in hiding now.

I guess they realized that anyone still giving them money is so deep in their own dreams of a new life in space and sunk coast fallacy that they will defend CIG to the very end, and they just said “gently caress it.”

Like at least prior to late 2018, they would have slick presentations of stuff coming in the future (which of course were 100% canned demos) and promises that things would get better and the pace of development would increase. So someone with a shred of common sense could be somewhat excused for still supporting the project. But now, SC ever being finished in any form that even remotely fulfills Chris’ promises is just an article of faith clung onto with cultish devotion.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Content!

:reddit: 10 minutes of punching footage :reddit:

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT
Did they finally get melee attacks in? Early days, guys.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Quavers posted:

All those poor plebs that don't support the Best drat Gay Comedy Forum Ever :colbert:

I pledged once and don't feel the need to melt my membership to buy a superior one. I wait to see where this forum will be in 2 weeks before that.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

A southpaw commando? Fidelitous ball physics.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

That's a good rub worthy of this forum.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
CobraTV: "is Star Citizen a scam?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81giYvrhKTE

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
"20 VPS providers to shut down on Monday, giving customers two days to save their data"
https://www.zdnet.com/article/20-vps-providers-to-shut-down-on-monday-giving-customers-two-days-to-save-their-data/

Just a very recent sample as to when scams are actually revealed and what happens then.

"Oh, is it a scam, though? Prove it to me"
:lol: yeah, gently caress off, and throw more money into this trashfire full of burning red flags.

*When* someone will finally prove it to you beyond a doubt you'll get no refund and maybe a day or two just enough to go "huh?".

AbstractNapper fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 8, 2019

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Yes.

It took me less than 25 minutes.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i think its a fail of epic proportions.
but not necessarily a scam.

*rushing for cover*

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Bumble He posted:

*rushing for cover*

I'd say there probably is at least someone at CIG who still thinks the project can succeed, so that person doesn't believe they're a scammer, but they are anyway since the project's a flaming wreck and nobody paying for it is going to get their money's worth.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Bumble He posted:

*rushing for cover*
I don't think you're wrong or people should scream at you.

If you spend some time studying history, you'll see a point brought up that people do not necessarily see sharp and neat divisions on the ages humans live in. People often imagine that, say, the French revolution began at X and ended at Y. But if you could talk to people who lived before, during and after they would not see it the same way. Assuming they see it at all.

The scam is like that. It blossomed at some point from within the project and has, whether by intentional design or the natural stress of the project, evolved to dominate it. There is no sharp, obvious moment. You can only look at the earnest beginnings, and the callous now, and realize yep it's a scam now.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Bumble He posted:

*rushing for cover*

The problem is that there's the legal scam and then there's the ethical scam. I don't think anybody's seriously arguing SC is a legal scam. Ethically however, that's a very different story. And since the white knights can't really argue that it's not an ethical scam, they'll go with their defense of "no, obviously, they're continuying to develop the game, so it can't be a scam" and claim victory.

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Be gone with you! You'll spoil my focus.
Holy poo poo I just caught the roadmap. They are actually farther behind on S42 than I thought they were.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Spiderdrake posted:

I don't think you're wrong or people should scream at you.

If you spend some time studying history, you'll see a point brought up that people do not necessarily see sharp and neat divisions on the ages humans live in. People often imagine that, say, the French revolution began at X and ended at Y. But if you could talk to people who lived before, during and after they would not see it the same way. Assuming they see it at all.

The scam is like that. It blossomed at some point from within the project and has, whether by intentional design or the natural stress of the project, evolved to dominate it. There is no sharp, obvious moment. You can only look at the earnest beginnings, and the callous now, and realize yep it's a scam now.

I think the saddest thing here is that Chris, who can't make a game, siphoned hundreds of millions of dollars from any other studio that could have delivered the equivalent of Star Citizen. Had he not presumed himself to be the manifest destiny of PC developers, we'd be on the second content expansion by now. Your point, and the point of ethical vs. legal scams, rests on this. Chris thinking he's something he's not is what sparked this; the backers swallowing the same delusion cemented it.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
If you'd throw $2.5m at Freelancer™ you could get a decent remaster with all the features like real economy, proper balance, meaningful destroyable ship parts, big universe, etc etc etc.

But hey, they had $250m, I still have hope that one day I'll be able to buy SC. And if not, I don't care, I never backed :D

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

The Titanic posted:

CIG, as a game company, is a huge failure.

CIG and Magic Leap are playing off each others playbooks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

precision posted:

I just stared at that roadmap for 5 straight minutes and I still have no idea how to glean any actual information out of it

fukken... THANK YOU!

Whenever someone posts that roadmap and everyone has a little giggle, I feel like I'm the only one left out who cannot make heads or tails of the thing.