Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Paracelsus posted:

Just remember to remove any modules from the scanner room before you disassemble it.

I would just leave the scanner rooms there and take out of the modules when your done in that area. So you only have to carry one set of scanner room chips around with you.

My standard scanner base was one big room with a bioreactor in it and 2 plant pots, scanner room, and a hatch. Throw down a beacon outside so you don't forget where that base is and its good to go. When you need to use it, put plants into bioreator, and it should run as long as you need it too.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Scanner range is always the upgrade you want to build for your scanner room, by the way, never scanner speed (or whatever the other one is).

Because range will actually increase, well, your range, by 50 meters, which is fairly significant, while speed will only increase said speed by 10%. It isn't even fast enough to alleviate impatience and make it worth anything there.

4 range upgrades is what you'd want in every scanner room you'll make any use of.

Also, I'm not sure if it went unsaid in the effort post a few back there, but you want to build the HUD upgrade ASAP, as it takes scanners from 'useful with effort and patience and back and forthing' to just 'useful'. It's actually an upgrade for your suit, not the room, to be clear.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Also, I'm not sure if it went unsaid in the effort post a few back there, but you want to build the HUD upgrade ASAP, as it takes scanners from 'useful with effort and patience and back and forthing' to just 'useful'. It's actually an upgrade for your suit, not the room, to be clear.

Yeah, this took me a while to figure out, range upgrades all the way!

I finally unlocked multi-purpose modules, and I'm putting a break on all plot relevant activities to build pretty gardens and aquariums. Explore the Aurora and get those coordinates? Find the Degasi habitat site? Look into that odd infection I have? Nahh, I'm busy covering my walls with grass and planting mushrooms.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Yeah, this took me a while to figure out, range upgrades all the way!

I finally unlocked multi-purpose modules, and I'm putting a break on all plot relevant activities to build pretty gardens and aquariums. Explore the Aurora and get those coordinates? Find the Degasi habitat site? Look into that odd infection I have? Nahh, I'm busy covering my walls with grass and planting mushrooms.

subnautica.jpg

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

EimiYoshikawa posted:

subnautica.jpg

Seriously, it would make total sense if the nameless protagonist got his infection fixed then just went "actually poo poo's pretty nice here, I'm just staying." Alterra even says they can't really reach him themselves so what are they going to do, come after you?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Seriously, it would make total sense if the nameless protagonist got his infection fixed then just went "actually poo poo's pretty nice here, I'm just staying." Alterra even says they can't really reach him themselves so what are they going to do, come after you?

Once word gets back that a) They ain't gonna get shot down and b) Holy drat is this place perfect for a deep sea mine/ocean resort, you bet your arse they'll be a'comin'.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

I would just leave the scanner rooms there and take out of the modules when your done in that area. So you only have to carry one set of scanner room chips around with you.

My standard scanner base was one big room with a bioreactor in it and 2 plant pots, scanner room, and a hatch. Throw down a beacon outside so you don't forget where that base is and its good to go. When you need to use it, put plants into bioreator, and it should run as long as you need it too.

You don't even really need a beacon, just leave one of the drones docked to the main room and you can use that as your beacon. Leaves your HUD a little less cluttered by all those signals.

This assuming, of course, that you're not anywhere near the kelp forests. I had a Stalker swim down to my base in the Jellyshroom Caves right above that big volcanic rift and steal my scanner drones.

I figured that if he was that desperate for them he must've needed them more than I did and just fabricated a bunch of extras.

Incidentally, having a couple of drones left out for stalkers to play with makes it decently easy to collect stalker teeth pre-HUD chip. Wherever they leave the drone, there's a decent chance that there's a couple of discarded teeth lying about.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Dec 8, 2019

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Drake_263 posted:

Incidentally, having a couple of drones left out for stalkers to play with makes it decently easy to collect stalker teeth pre-HUD chip. Wherever they leave the drone, there's a decent chance that there's a couple of discarded teeth lying about.

See this was the plan, but I've been watching the stalkers' escapades and they've been clipping through the seabed and dropping all their teeth below the map. There's quite a collection down there according to my HUD.

E: On the plus side, this meant I could map out the steam vent in the shallows when they dropped a drone below the map.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Dec 8, 2019

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Drake_263 posted:

You don't even really need a beacon, just leave one of the drones docked to the main room and you can use that as your beacon. Leaves your HUD a little less cluttered by all those signals.

I turned off all the locators of the cameras because I had 20+.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

WarpedNaba posted:

Once word gets back that a) They ain't gonna get shot down and b) Holy drat is this place perfect for a deep sea mine/ocean resort, you bet your arse they'll be a'comin'.
Just a lonely intern Waiting on the incredibly slow recharge "infinite, but only three at a time" ion cubes machine

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Section Z posted:

Just a lonely intern Waiting on the incredibly slow recharge "infinite, but only three at a time" ion cubes machine

They've already named all the repairbots, and have extended conversations with them as they scuttle around.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

So building my base between on a ridge between a lava vent and a kelp forest looked cool, but now I have nowhere to build a moonpool. Well, there are two spots: directly over said lava vent, or clipping through a mess of kelp. I've now spent an hour trying to align a new base across 2 rock pillars :shepicide:

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Fruits of the sea posted:

So building my base between on a ridge between a lava vent and a kelp forest looked cool, but now I have nowhere to build a moonpool. Well, there are two spots: directly over said lava vent, or clipping through a mess of kelp. I've now spent an hour trying to align a new base across 2 rock pillars :shepicide:

Just take your knife out and clearcut the offending kelp. They only give so many cuttings before they disappear.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Follow the Alterran way! Clearcut that forest!

I'm sure you can plant some clippings when you're less busy, they'll grow back in a few decades.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Yeah, if there's one thing I'll fault Subbie for, it's that the base building is way more frustrating than it should be with immovable bits getting in the way.

A common issue, to be fair. Lookin' at you, Green Hell :argh:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

One of the things that hooked me on my first play through of Subnautica was when I first left the escape pod at night and saw all the amazing color's and sounds. The art-design of most of the game was really good.

I also suggest creating an observatory wherever you build a base. The game treat's it as a unique biome, and you get enhanced fauna spawns and music. It really atmospheric. (It's expensive and provides no other benefit as the game is quick to tell you).
I'm still scared of moving around at night :/

But this time I know how to get stalker teeth easier, should put up globes more frequently.

Drake_263 posted:

Also, the Scanner Room is your friend. It's amazing how many people forget it exists or never really try all the features; besides its actual functionality, it's very cheap and makes an excellent core room for a small outpost when you don't have the space, time or capacity to spring for a multi purpose room.

* Fully upgraded, the range on the scanner is quite impressive; this makes exploring for wrecks and the like in hazardous areas pretty easy, just plonk down a scanner room, power it, plug in range upgrades, see what you can find.
Yeah, I've been progressing an hour at a time, I'd been missing Magnetite. Put a scanner room up between the weapon platform and the reaper around the corner, got One (1) Magnetite, rushed back to my real base to put together the HUD chip. Now I've got a pack of 4 scanner range upgrades and I'm ready to set up remote bases.

One of my favorite moments is the first time a scanner room gets a bunch of range upgrades and detects some of the super deep underground caves.

I just got the Moonpool, wasn't that supposed to come with the upgrade bays? Or do I need to scan up stuff for those too.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The Vehicle Upgrade Console is a separate thing that needs to be found/built, yeah. Slightly more detail on how to get access: The blueprint for it can be found in Data Boxes, as opposed to scanning fragments. Go hunting in wrecks/seabases.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
I'll just say this: sometimes scary biomes aren't actually dangerous biomes.

I mean, they often are, but there are exceptions, too, in the, say, 200m or so depth range.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Podima posted:

The Vehicle Upgrade Console is a separate thing that needs to be found/built, yeah. Slightly more detail on how to get access: The blueprint for it can be found in Data Boxes, as opposed to scanning fragments. Go hunting in wrecks/seabases.
Thanks!

I think something changed with the scanner room, did it always lump together "All Fragments"? I feel like it used to break out individual Prawn arms and stuff. I did see 'data boxes' as a unique thing. I still don't have the Laser Cutter, haven't hit the Aurora (waiting for the code), still have a Bioreactor in my main base instead of a nuclear. I dunno, I think i'm progressing faster than before but it's definitely a unique curve.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

JawnV6 posted:

Thanks!

I think something changed with the scanner room, did it always lump together "All Fragments"? I feel like it used to break out individual Prawn arms and stuff. I did see 'data boxes' as a unique thing. I still don't have the Laser Cutter, haven't hit the Aurora (waiting for the code), still have a Bioreactor in my main base instead of a nuclear. I dunno, I think i'm progressing faster than before but it's definitely a unique curve.
Fragments can just be that swinging, really.

The same run where you find every piece of the cyclops within 10 minutes, and twice as many mobile vehicle bay fragments as you need within 30 feet of eachother. Can also be a run where it takes you forever to complete the laser cutter, and then you cut open a door and find a bunch of cutter fragments inside :v:

Just keep at it, and don't be ashamed to check a wiki if you've kept at it for what feels like a suspiciously long time. It works out mostly okay until suddenly it doesn't.

Bioreactor is wonderful with it's high capacity, even if it's slow as hell on the actual recharge rates. So I always enjoyed having at least one even in a tricked out super base (as much as insurance against temporary glitches for externally mounted power). If you keep going you'll find more convenient alternatives to nuclear power/stacks of solar panels though, if you don't want to build nuclear to tide you over in the dark.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 9, 2019

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
My last game stalled out around 900m, so I kinda sorta know what I’m doing <200m. I loved the sea moth, hated the cyclops, didn’t have all the fun prawn attachments. I think I haven’t seen beacon fragments this time?

I managed to skip bioreactors last time around, this time I had to make a little garden to keep my first base going.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

JawnV6 posted:

Thanks!

I think something changed with the scanner room, did it always lump together "All Fragments"? I feel like it used to break out individual Prawn arms and stuff. I did see 'data boxes' as a unique thing.

I think the way it works is that when you first load up a biome, it'll semi-randomly populate it with fragments. Those will just show up as 'fragments' in the scanner room.
However, if you've already unlocked all/certain blueprints in a way that the semi-random fragment wouldn't make sense, it replaces it with a prawn arm fragment. And the scanner room lists those as a separate type of item.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009
Just started playing this, I've made 0 effort to read the thread because spoilers but in general, is there any particular thing I should be paying attention to to keep from handicapping myself? Fairly early game spoilers (~5 hours in I think?)

So far, I've found an escape pod, stumbled onto a floating island, watched the ship blow up, built a radiation suit, explored the recently-exploded ship, saw a horrifying giant shark-looking leviathan thing, ran the entire gently caress away from that area with no intentions of ever returning, built a Seaglide, found another escape pod next to a giant underground mushroom cave, drowned in a giant underground mushroom cave, got a call about a rescue, found an island with a big alien structure, explored it, found coordinates for other neat-o things, watched my rescue ship get shot down, turned on the Stargate portal and ended up back at the floating island, annnnd that's about it.

I've been scanning everything I see but I kind of feel like I should maybe be further along on crafting - I haven't even started building a base of any sort, haven't found the full schematics for the vehicle bay, and have 0 inventory space aside from a few floating lockers outside my escape pod. Is this normal? Any certain places I should explore before moving too far? And I vaguely remember seeing someone mention beacons somewhere, is that something obvious that I missed? I've just been winging it and trying to remember which direction I went in to find interesting things. Currently planning to hit up giant underground mushroom cave (I've got an objective marker there) and then work on finding the bases mentioned in the alien base notes. I feel like I should start working on a home base of some sort soon though, and I've got schematics for a small submarine but not for the vehicle bay, should I have already found those?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Bases are pretty essential for storing stuff, floating lockers are useless after a few hours because you will need to store a ton of items and materials. Not to mention all the essential equipment that can only be made in a base.

My best advice is to explore everywhere, if you find a big scary creature in an area that simply means you have to run away or avoid it, but don't avoid the area altogether. Also, build the scanning room as soon as you can, it makes life a lot easier.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That underground mushroom cave is going to help you out with making a base. Make sure you scan every single thing in a certain corner of the cave that you find down there, you'll know it when you see it. It'll definitely help your base building along, the Multipurpose Room

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
On my last run I never even built a nuclear reactor. I found the bio reactor and a double stack of fish breeding tank to be more than sufficient.

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

SchwarzeKrieg posted:

Just started playing this, I've made 0 effort to read the thread because spoilers but in general, is there any particular thing I should be paying attention to to keep from handicapping myself? Fairly early game spoilers (~5 hours in I think?)

Yeah mate ignore my posts because I'm posting some ridiculous spoilers:

So there I am minding my own business in my Cyclops near the Alien Deterrence Tower doing some deep diving, respectfully honking my horn innocuously and blinking my lights, as any irritated driver should be doing when out of the blue some giant loving fish randomly attacked me. gently caress this fish to hell and back, I jump out on my PRAWN suit with the intention of punching its face in when lo and behold, the oval office has the same idea as myself. We do some back and forth and as luck would have it he shoves me into an alien locker and bugs out, can't reach me while I can repeatedly boop him with my PRAWN fists. 125 punches later the madcunt is dead :D Now I'm out there trying to replicate the event with my stasis rifle and thermoblade but look, it ain't fucken easy.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

OgNar posted:

On my last run I never even built a nuclear reactor. I found the bio reactor and a double stack of fish breeding tank to be more than sufficient.

I have never actually used nuclear or bioreactors, I find the thermal plant to be a lot more convenient.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

SchwarzeKrieg posted:

Do you have the Habitat Builder tool? It should be buildable. There's no real reason to delay building a base, just slap down a tube and add a hatch. Congrats its a base.

Captain Invictus posted:

That underground mushroom cave is going to help you out with making a base. Make sure you scan every single thing in a certain corner of the cave that you find down there, you'll know it when you see it. It'll definitely help your base building along, the Multipurpose Room
You can also find one of these on the floating island. Just takes 1 scan.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Oasx posted:

I have never actually used nuclear or bioreactors, I find the thermal plant to be a lot more convenient.

The thermal plant is excellent in the way of 'just plonk a couple down and never worry about them'. Stable, free, no fuss, no muss. The only downside is that thermal vents aren't everywhere but fish, in fact, are. Bio is great for extra power when you're deep down and don't have access to thermal vents.

The nuclear reactor, meanwhile, feels kind of superfluous. Most of the fragments are in out of the way areas (or, you know, Reaper territory.) Nuclear power, ion cells and the fact that some of the more basic/convenient upgrades for your vehicles (Seamoth perimeter defense, Prawn thermal reactor and jump jet booster) are located in endgame areas kind of make me feel they intended the game to be a lot longer than it actually is.

I would actually like a Hyrule Castle-style endgame area, somewhere you're expected to actually use all the toys and skills you've put together over your length of your stay, instead of what we have now that being essentially a pair of shopping lists to fill out.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 11, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Floating lockers I find a lot more useful in earlygame to set up survival stashes by my beacons with water, salted food and maybe batteries.

I think a lot of people don't realise how convenient base building really is, especially since you can literally just pack up everything and relocate an entire base with no loss of resources. You can pretty much just slap down a base anywhere in a couple of minutes as long as you bring all the materials you need.

Though while scanner rooms are indeed useful it trips a lot of people up that they're massive power hogs, and best to build multiple solar panels for them. (especially since all power generators increase your power storage accordingly)

Nuclear reactor is more for when you build a giant vanity base with a whole collection of hand-raised critters.

I also get entirely what you mean in that the game gives you a lot of endgame toys when you barely have any need to use them. I think maybe the final research facility isn't really enough for a 'final dungeon' type area despite being located perfectly for it. Maybe the final quest should give you more reason to explore far-flung corners of the map, though that could get tedious- it's a bit funny that if you've paid attention you can complete the list within minutes because you know where to find everything and might even have it in your garden.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Dec 11, 2019

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Bioreactors are convenient since growbeds are convenient. I just had some melons growing in my base and whenever I came back, I'd just eat a couple to fill up on food/water, toss the extra in the bioreactor, then replanted the seeds. I think I made the nuclear reactor eventually at the very end as sort of a vanity project with multiple water filtration machines since they're huge energy hogs.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think a lot of people don't realise how convenient base building really is, especially since you can literally just pack up everything and relocate an entire base with no loss of resources. You can pretty much just slap down a base anywhere in a couple of minutes as long as you bring all the materials you need.
I think getting the materials there is the hard part. Maybe I was unlucky, but I didn't find the cyclops scans until after the game was essentially over and they were mandatory to basically just see the end cutscene. By the time I decided to make a substantial second base at the start of the lost river, it was 30 minutes to an hour just of hauling stuff over multiple trips with the seamoth, reorganizing material in the storage closets, and inventory shuffling to get the needed components in-hand to use the habitat builder.

I haven't been tracking below zero since I'm waiting for the official release, but my #1 want on that thing is basically more subnautica with friendlier inventory management. Even something as basic as being able to break down subcomponents like a titanium ingot back into 10 ore for recipes that require the latter would make a world of difference for organization and cutting down storage space.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Am reminded of a weird bug, I think, in my playthrough where I'd occasionally see creature decoys floating around for no apparent reason.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

yook posted:

I haven't been tracking below zero since I'm waiting for the official release, but my #1 want on that thing is basically more subnautica with friendlier inventory management. Even something as basic as being able to break down subcomponents like a titanium ingot back into 10 ore for recipes that require the latter would make a world of difference for organization and cutting down storage space.

Seconding the better inventory management as a desire. I grabbed a mod that allowed the crafting devices to 1) pull resources from nearby storage lockers to build from and 2) build all the intermediate items automatically when I want to build something higher tier. Reeeeeallly makes life much more simple. Doesn't feel like it breaks anything either.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Floating lockers I find a lot more useful in earlygame to set up survival stashes by my beacons with water, salted food and maybe batteries.

Though while scanner rooms are indeed useful it trips a lot of people up that they're massive power hogs, and best to build multiple solar panels for them. (especially since all power generators increase your power storage accordingly)

Nuclear reactor is more for when you build a giant vanity base with a whole collection of hand-raised critters.

I also get entirely what you mean in that the game gives you a lot of endgame toys when you barely have any need to use them. I think maybe the final research facility isn't really enough for a 'final dungeon' type area despite being located perfectly for it. Maybe the final quest should give you more reason to explore far-flung corners of the map, though that could get tedious- it's a bit funny that if you've paid attention you can complete the list within minutes because you know where to find everything and might even have it in your garden.

That final quest was awful. By the time I got to it I was fully ready to cruise to the finish, so it took the wind out of my sails and I just completed it as fast as I possibly could. I think it would’ve been better to expand on the idea of incrementally solving puzzles in the alien bases with the things you get on other exploration errands.

Wrr posted:

Seconding the better inventory management as a desire. I grabbed a mod that allowed the crafting devices to 1) pull resources from nearby storage lockers to build from and 2) build all the intermediate items automatically when I want to build something higher tier. Reeeeeallly makes life much more simple. Doesn't feel like it breaks anything either.

This is the only mod I used in my play through and I would recommend everybody use it when starting out.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
I’d have loved to see bigger creatures at the end of Subnautica. Give me creatures 30, 40, 50 times bigger than the reaper. Thats all I want. Darkness and huge, horrifying monsters in it.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Big (1.8gb) update for subnautica on steam now. No patch notes that I can find, but their twitter says its an engine upgrade and texture optimizations.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Fallom posted:

This is the only mod I used in my play through and I would recommend everybody use it when starting out.

Link for anyone who doesn't have this: Easycraft.

I'd definitely agree that if you're going to run any mods at all for a first time play through, run this one.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Stumiester posted:

I’d have loved to see bigger creatures at the end of Subnautica. Give me creatures 30, 40, 50 times bigger than the reaper. Thats all I want. Darkness and huge, horrifying monsters in it.

Someone needs to make an underwater Shadow of the Colossus except you're trying to take down lovecraftian horrors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

subnautica-style, all first-person 3D inside a sub, maybe with a crew and upgradeable (expandable?) ships, but simplified resource collection based on killing deep gods and taking their stuff.

captain nemo vs. the squid people, and the twist is that you're actually the bad guy at the end.

1890s technology and justifiable steampunk, perhaps associated with magic uranium-cocaine