Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
George C. Scott Christmas Carol is the truest to the book and isn't just a lovely adaptation of a former adaptation. The book has a severe message and the ones that water that message down are the worst ones. I don't include the ones for kids in my hatred of the bad adaptations, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

I really like Patrick Stewart's version despite the obvious flaws that come from being made for television. He's a great Scrooge and the Ghost of Christmas Present is one of my favorites across any of the adaptations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Part of my love for the Muppet one is that it does land pretty hard on the poverty theme, considering. You see the little bunny rabbit kid shivering in the freezing cold a few times.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

To hell with the rabbit, it's even worse for meeses.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
George C. Scott is my favorite Scrooge and I think the best adaptation. Michael Caine is a close second though, and while I love the muppet version, I would have loved to see what he could do in a more true version of it. I think I mentioned it last time this movie came up, but he took the role on condition he could play Scrooge straight up, which is exactly what the filmmakers wanted. Got to give him credit for doing such a good job when most of his costars were puppets.

I don't know why exactly, but I'm not a huge fan of the Patrick Stewart version. Maybe it's the made for TV pacing but I just can't get into it like others.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The best version of Christmas Carol is the live one I saw as a kid and when the ghost of Christmas future came out I got so scared I screamed and pissed my pants and ruined the whole night for my entire family.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Patrick Stewart version gave me this video so I can't hate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnXRYCoh-Ik

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Patrick Stewart version gave me this video so I can't hate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnXRYCoh-Ik

This is the reason I trawl the bowels of this site day in and day out.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I love the Muppet Christmas Carol, but I have to give it to the George C. Scott one, that one is the definitive version in my mind.
The Alistair Sim version has my favorite version of reformed Scrooge though. He's just so thrilled that he has a second chance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLMzzX8VuBg
The whole movie is on youtube as mentioned above. The "reformation" starts around 1:13.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Push El Burrito posted:

The best version of Christmas Carol is the live one I saw as a kid and when the ghost of Christmas future came out I got so scared I screamed and pissed my pants and ruined the whole night for my entire family.

I glanced over this post and I thought you said you creamed your pants and ruined the whole night for your family.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Cacafuego posted:

I glanced over this post and I thought you said you creamed your pants and ruined the whole night for your family.

That was actually me, and it only ruined the night because my family are a bunch of prudes who dont understand my relationship with MAI WAIFU, Ms. Piggy.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Krispy Wafer posted:

I always figured they inherited the home from a family member. Which would explain why they had a nicer home than they should have in the original timeline as well as explain why they'd still be living there in the new timeline.

Maybe they're just watching it for Jailbird Joey.

They didn’t inherit it, the neighborhood was in a pre-construction planning phase in 1955. They most likely bought the house in what was a brand new neighborhood after they got married, and lived there up to the events of the movie. It’s just one of the things that wasn’t fundamentally changed by his meddling in the past.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
If you're going to be in NYC this Wednesday or Friday, P-Stew is performing his one man version of A Christmas Carol. Two nights only! It's not even sold out, tickets will set you back $500.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Promoted Pawn posted:

They didn’t inherit it, the neighborhood was in a pre-construction planning phase in 1955. They most likely bought the house in what was a brand new neighborhood after they got married, and lived there up to the events of the movie. It’s just one of the things that wasn’t fundamentally changed by his meddling in the past.

That just makes me think that George used his money and influence in the second timeline to keep “undesirable” neighbors from staying. And I’m just now realizing that a nerdy pervert born around 1940 who became a rich sci-fi author was probably a real piece of poo poo in the “good” timeline.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Cat Hatter posted:

How dark were they planning on going in the movie where Carol Kane kicks Bill Murray in the balls and beats him with a toaster?

I'm really glad this came up. Mrs. Doctor's mom loves Scrooged. She puts it on every year while she puts up her Christmas tree.

After our wedding, we were at her house opening gifts and my MIL accidentally knocked a stack of boxes over onto me. Seeing which was on top, I happy shouted "Bitch hit me with a toaster!"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'll be honest, Christmas Present was my least favourite in Scrooged. It was just tiresome slapstick and I kind of got bored of her quickly.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

BioEnchanted posted:

I'll be honest, Christmas Present was my least favourite in Scrooged. It was just tiresome slapstick and I kind of got bored of her quickly.

I'll agree that she's the worst of the three. Past is absolutely amazing and Future is really effective, especially with the static TV face, but Carol Kane is a goddamn treasure and I'll hear nothing otherwise.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

MichiganCubbie posted:

I'll agree that she's the worst of the three. Past is absolutely amazing and Future is really effective, especially with the static TV face, but Carol Kane is a goddamn treasure and I'll hear nothing otherwise.

:haibrow:

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Accordion Man posted:

As Christmas Carol adaptions go, Richard Williams' animated version is also an underrated adaption like Muppet Christmas Carol.

It's one of the eeriest versions and its visually fantastic.

I think its only been released on VHS, (Which is I how saw it as a kid) but its on YouTube.

Agreed - a close adaptation to the book and it perfectly apes the style of John Leech's original engravings; right down to perfectly recreating them for a few frames where appropriate.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Promoted Pawn posted:

I can’t believe I forgot the whole neighborhood being built in 1955.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think you're supposed to use the neighborhood as a barometer of how "good" that universe is. Like how in Biff's rich 1985 the neighborhood is an outright bad neighborhood with bars on the windows.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

muscles like this! posted:

I think you're supposed to use the neighborhood as a barometer of how "good" that universe is. Like how in Biff's rich 1985 the neighborhood is an outright bad neighborhood with bars on the windows.

Yeah, it’s this. Even in 2015 the cops talk trash about the neighborhood to create that framing, and though the house is full of fancy future-tech, it’s all worn down and some of it needs coaxing to work properly. It might be fantastical to us, but in context it’s supposed to seem like they’re making do with old and improperly maintained stuff.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A fun subtle moment from the second episode of Crisis on Infinite Earths crossover is they introduce a new Superman played by Brandon Routh as the Donner movie version. Which shows up in a scene where he uses heat vision and they use a completely different older style than what they use for the CW Superman/Supergirl.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

muscles like this! posted:

A fun subtle moment from the second episode of Crisis on Infinite Earths crossover is they introduce a new Superman played by Brandon Routh as the Donner movie version. Which shows up in a scene where he uses heat vision and they use a completely different older style than what they use for the CW Superman/Supergirl.

The Arrowverse is honestly hilarious about subtle bits of fanservice. I love that Crisis on Infinite Earths itself effectively kinda came from them pranking themselves from the past; The Flash has had a newspaper frontpage from the future as mainly a season 1 plot point, that had an off-handed reference to Crisis on Infinite Earths as one of the lesser headlines. They most likely never intended to actually do anything with that (they actually used the most famous Infinite Crisis Flash scene in season 2 anyway), but then the show just kept going so eventually they had to actually use it.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
I don't watch live action DC stuff because it's generally crap, but god damnit if they didn't pique my interest by getting Kevin loving Conroy in front of a camera. How would a goon go about... ugh... watching all that mess?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
You should be able to stream it from the cw website.

There's been 3 episodes so far, with the final 2 coming in a couple weeks.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
All of the participating shows have their previous seasons on U.S. Netflix (except for Batwoman, since this is their first season), so if you really want to watch some complete dumb bullshit, the other crossovers can all be watched in full. I heartily recommend Crisis on Earth-X, their second one, mostly for the sheer volume of cute little character bits they fit into that.

The first part of that crossover also kills off, of all people, The Greatest American Hero. That was a weird cameo.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Legends of Tomorrow is pretty great because after the first season, everyone took a hard look at themselves and said, "Why are we taking this seriously at all???"

After that it gets real stupid and real good.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
When Gorilla Grodd shows up to kill (and potentially eat) a college age Barack Obama, you know you have a great show.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

Legends of Tomorrow is pretty great because after the first season, everyone took a hard look at themselves and said, "Why are we taking this seriously at all???"

I loving loved the part where they got Denethor from LotR to record lines for them to use in their gambit agains the villain. Somehow.

And i don't mean the production crew, i mean the characters from the show went and visited (the actor for) Denethor in-universe and asked him "hey could you say these lines for us?"

edit: i think the episode is literally called "Guest starring John Noble"

HenryEx has a new favorite as of 17:24 on Dec 11, 2019

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Inzombiac posted:

does it seriously get better? i suffered through season 1 solely for main castmember leonard snart

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Edminster posted:

does it seriously get better? i suffered through season 1 solely for main castmember leonard snart

“Better” is relative. It’s not a good show by any means but the dumb poo poo they get up to is absolutely hilarious (see above with Grodd trying to kill college Obama) and entertaining.

They do not take themselves seriously at all and it makes the show watchable when you realize that

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Here is an example of how seriously late-game Legends takes itself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35jMtdrYCSw

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That Grodd Obama thing sounds dreadful

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've been thinking about the old movie Whatever Happened to Baby Jane, and realised that the movie bookends in an unusual way. It starts with young Jane singing Letter to Daddy, a song about a child misunderstanding what it means to die, and ends with Jane mentally regressing to about that same age, completely losing grip of reality and failing to understand that her sister is actually dying right next to her. There's also a strong irony: she is completely obsessed with reliving her childhood glory, and in a way, her brain acquiesces in the cruelest possible way, by putting her back in the brain of a child.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Inzombiac posted:

Interesting, I've only seen the first season and didn't think it took itself seriously at all!

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

BioEnchanted posted:

Here is an example of how seriously late-game Legends takes itself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35jMtdrYCSw

Neal McDonough is so good in that and I love the music they chose for him coming back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCwvCaEcIzs

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

That Grodd Obama thing sounds dreadful

It's maybe five minutes of an episode and an excuse for a character to use a catchphrase from The Flash TV show.

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

My favorite part about the George C. Scott Scrooge is when he's sitting there yelling "shut it off -- SHUT IT OFF!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Is that before or after he yells about the big board?