Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I'm on my third playthrough and still having fun, so different strokes I guess. :shrug:

There's something strange about Cameron Monaghan's performance in this game, and I think I've finally put my finger on what it is; the dude is somehow simultaneously a good actor and a bad voice actor. When he's doing performance capture for the cutscenes and is clearly in a room capital-a Acting with other Actors, he's good, occasionally even great. When he's just reading lines off a script in a recording booth for incidental or gameplay related dialogue, it's like he's never heard a human being speak a sentence before. His cadence and intonation is all off, and it sounds like he's talking through a mouthful of cotton. It's weird. But hey, at least he seemed to be legitimately trying most of the time, which is more than you can say for some capital-a Actors who wind up in video games. Looking at you, Tyrion. :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Actually it is fun.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Daniel Robuck is really good but every time I think of his face I can't stop thinking about him and Crispin Glover in River's Edge.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

oh yeah. that song is played by a real band. they are Mongolian metal band that combine throat singing and metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4xZUr0BEfE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM8dCGIm6yc

Yo that's awesome, I need to check their stuff out.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

If there’s one thing I’ll say it’s that this game feels or is pretty drat long. Almost too long. It feels that we because while the settings change, the gameplay arc is very much the same and repetitive.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Vinylshadow posted:

I love watching no-damage runs, because even if you're great at the game, it still look like Cal's barely keeping up with his enemies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1CFNAv1c0M

The Malicos fight is a dance

Did they layer their own music over some of the bosses? A remixed Duel of Fates did not play over the second half of the last duel with Second Sister when I fought her.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
For a first attempt at an open world action RPG by Respawn while likely under pressure to get a game out from EA I think this game's pretty good. This is poised to be the Dark Forces 2 of its generation.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Not just EA. I'm willing to bet Disney was looming over their shoulder the whole time line "We sure would appreciate it if you got this out before the next movie! Gosh, that would just be swell! :D"

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

ArbitraryTA posted:

For a first attempt at an open world action RPG by Respawn while likely under pressure to get a game out from EA I think this game's pretty good. This is poised to be the Dark Forces 2 of its generation.

I remember when it was announced at E3 2018, and they just ambushed Vince Zampella in the audience and he looked like it was sprung on him.

I enjoyed the game, though I was terrible at the combat. Will give it another go if they implement fast travel, because I really don’t like the map...

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
An optional force power that highlights the path to your next adjective or map marker would be very welcome

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Agreed, hell, just yelling at BD to tell your where to go would be nice, he's a droid, he can analyze his own maps :colbert:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

OhFunny posted:

Did they layer their own music over some of the bosses? A remixed Duel of Fates did not play over the second half of the last duel with Second Sister when I fought her.

I do the same with some of my videos - they may be doing it to avoid copyright strikes, but the game's music hasn't triggered any for me - not even when Black Thunder was playing in the Arena

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Why does this game have so many slip slidey slides followed by a dangling rope you have to jump and grab with atomic precision lest you fall

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Why do I have to kill so many fucken rats and goats

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Calaveron posted:

Why does this game have so many slip slidey slides followed by a dangling rope you have to jump and grab with atomic precision lest you fall

This is another reason why if I wrote an article about this game the title would be "Fun, but Frustrating"

So normally if you gently caress up one of these things the game just drops you back at the top. But, (very late game spoilers) when you're running from Vader if you gently caress up at any point it has to reload the entire area. Cross your fingers you don't gently caress it up more than once like me.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I swear sometimes the game loads wonky and the physics/controls start to bug out. After not having any trouble through the entire game, I was visiting Zeffo on cleanup duty and ran into a slide I had already been down a dozen times, and suddenly I just kept sliding off the edge. Over and over, no matter what I did, Cal just went buckwild and dove into the abyss. I had to use two loving stims to get past the slide without dying, and it hasn't happened since.

There was also a weird bugged wall run spot that kicked me off halfway through repeatedly. Game's definitely a little janky.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Spergatory posted:

I swear sometimes the game loads wonky and the physics/controls start to bug out. After not having any trouble through the entire game, I was visiting Zeffo on cleanup duty and ran into a slide I had already been down a dozen times, and suddenly I just kept sliding off the edge. Over and over, no matter what I did, Cal just went buckwild and dove into the abyss. I had to use two loving stims to get past the slide without dying, and it hasn't happened since.

I completely forgot about it but that happened once on Dathomir, at the slide and jump that (I think) is supposed to gate you off till you get the double jump. Somehow the terrain at the end of the slide felt cut off early, and the game would constantly trigger the double jump animation on my single jump, so I spent minutes on end resetting to the top of the slide until I figured out whatever series of movement tricked the game into letting me jump as normal. Totally weird, and never saw anything like that before or since.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Any PC master race players switch from keyboard to controller? I'm using keyboard but finding it really hard to dodge because I have to dislocate my ring finger to hit z. I haven't picked up a controller since I owned a PS2 tho...

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Dillbag posted:

Any PC master race players switch from keyboard to controller? I'm using keyboard but finding it really hard to dodge because I have to dislocate my ring finger to hit z. I haven't picked up a controller since I owned a PS2 tho...

Rebind dodge to spacebar or some other easily reached button. Personally I used mouse4 (and kept jump to default) but I'd still recommend swapping it to spacebar since there are some instances where you need to mash it for QTEs.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Dillbag posted:

I have 2 corded Xbox controllers hooked up for emulation and spawning in aircraft in Battlefront/field and picked one up the second the intro splash screen strongly recommended it. I can't imagine trying to K&M this game and you'll probably get your ~15 bucks worth out of a generic wired xbox controller if you have any other use case for it (like emulation or flying planes in battle* games)

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I have my quibbles with some parts of Cal's performance (and to be fair, he does have way, WAY more lines than everyone else), but I just wanted to say Elizabeth Grullon as Trilla absolutely kills it from start to finish and there is not a single line or aspect of her performance that isn't :discourse:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Outstanding is my favourite line delivery in the game.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Calaveron posted:

This game is a chore to play

You're not wrong.

Bosses that chain attack with unlockable moves that home in on you aren't fun.

For how gimmicky the knock off Sekiro combat is, it's pretty poo poo.

The reused slide and narrow passage bits just scream to me of a game that was barebones and needed padded out.

Hell if I'm honest, that's kinda how it feels so far even from the story. The whole thing just feels shallow.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Spergatory posted:

Not just EA. I'm willing to bet Disney was looming over their shoulder the whole time line "We sure would appreciate it if you got this out before the next movie! Gosh, that would just be swell! :D"

this. the game feels kinda rushed. not in a broken jank way but you can see its rough edges and such.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

:yeah:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Finished the game. Combat and boss fights were great, ya'll just need to git gud. Story was phenomenal. Video game characters that are actually likable and relatable people with good acting is refreshing. Villains were universally really loving good. Puzzles were a chore. Some movement mechanics, while initially cool, were super overused - looking at you, runny-walls, swingy-ropes and slidy-slopes.

4.5/5 starwarses best video game I've played in a while

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

i kind of wanted to know more about the inquisitor who was just a big dumb shrek

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Owlbear Camus posted:

i kind of wanted to know more about the inquisitor who was just a big dumb shrek

She's in 9 issues of the Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith comic run

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

I suspect she'll also be back in the sequel. Defenestration is not a reliable way of killing force users.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.

Owlbear Camus posted:

What, her name mentioned in the achievement popup and no where else in the game not enough for you?

(RIP big angry jedi lady)

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Dillbag posted:

I always use a controller when playing these third person, over the shoulder style games.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
It’s really meant to be played with a controller. I keep an extra ds4 on my desk for use as needed (see also sekiro, dirt rally)

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Beat it. Absolutely loved the story and the lengths they went to flesh out every character and planet. I’m not a Star Wars fan by any means but man this gave me some feels every once in a while.

That vision of the future and turning on the lightsaber to see it red??? HOLY poo poo dude. so well done.

If they fixed the parrying it would be a much better game. I think it felt too long because the combat could get really annoying because parries just didn’t take right. The final boss was basically impossible to read and parry which made it quite the chore. That said though, all those combos you have by the end like hold x or split saber or pulling and throwing and all.. man I felt like an absolute terror destroying everything and anything in the last level. A whole room of storm troopers died in like a second of ludicrous awesome lightsaber action. It loving owned.

I’d definitely be back for a sequel.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SirSamVimes posted:

:hmmyes:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
The fact that there's no new game plus, even if it was just for cosmetics, is a loving crime against video games. Let me use my bitchin purple lightsaber/pink poncho combo for longer than two hours of playtime, Respawn! :argh:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Spergatory posted:

The fact that there's no new game plus, even if it was just for cosmetics, is a loving crime against video games. Let me use my bitchin purple lightsaber/pink poncho combo for longer than two hours of playtime, Respawn! :argh:

Closest we can get is through save file manipulation

There's also a saber color editor that comes with the ability to reassign the soundets with each color

Cyan's got a deep throaty sound that pairs well with Indigo, and using a red lightsaber is loads of fun

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Blind Rasputin posted:

That vision of the future and turning on the lightsaber to see it red??? HOLY poo poo dude. so well done.

That part was inspired meta-textual storytelling The screen is black and it's silent? Did the game crash. I get the tooltip to use my saber as a flashlight, oh, duh, how did I forget. Whoah.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
It's fun to look for the thematic parallels between this and KOTOR II. "Jedi dogma is kind of messed up" and "What does it mean to fall?" stood out for me. Might be some others I might have missed.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

PunkBoy posted:

It's fun to look for the thematic parallels between this and KOTOR II. "Jedi dogma is kind of messed up" and "What does it mean to fall?" stood out for me. Might be some others I might have missed.

Makes sense, since Chris Avellone helped with some of the writing

Malicos is definitely his character carryover into the new canon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
New patch incoming this week. Lots of bug fixes, plus a new photo mode, and the ability to get rid of Cere's switch in lightsaber customization.

Still no new game plus. :sigh: