Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Guess I’m gonna be in a minority here and say I liked this episode.

I read the comics ages ago and enjoyed the movie, but don’t remember either that we’ll. I thought this episode did a good show of portraying a character like Dr Manhattan. I don’t know if he wasn’t like this in the comics, but I quite enjoyed what I saw.

I still don’t get why exactly he’d become involved in human affairs like this, but once you accept that fact I really enjoyed how everything flowed with angela.

Is there any deeper significance to the horse shoe or is he just gonna dig a hole and be rescued by Trieu somehow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

magiccarpet posted:

Give us the Snyder cut

Only if James Gunn wrote it, cause Synder has sucked blue balls without Gunn.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mameluke posted:

I thought it was kind of underwhelming that the answer to "why is Dr. Manhattan black?" is "he just rolled with it"

Is there any other acceptable answer?

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
I thought the episode was ok/fine. not great a little too exposition heavy but it had some decent moments. I didn't buy their relationship for a chunk of that time but by the end of the ep I thought it was fairly believable.

I want to see laurie and jon interact thou.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Mameluke posted:

I thought it was kind of underwhelming that the answer to "why is Dr. Manhattan black?" is "he just rolled with it"

The same show that gave us the true story of the first superhero being a person of color and a pretty powerful story gives us Doctor Manhattan in his own modern remake of Soul Man

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I don't expect the season finale to be good, but man I was so much more into the show they lead us to believe this started as instead of the one its turned into.

Like using the predestination paradox to explain the loving inciting incident of this narrative is just so whatever. I like the Lindelof that does low key character stuff, I hate the Lindelof that pulls this poo poo.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

They should have just left Manhattan out of the plot as a character altogether.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Veidt’s neoclassical portrait of himself as Vigo the Carpathian is pretty ok.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Manhattan could have easily stopped the 7k so I'm guessing "getting killed was part of the plan :smug:"

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Mameluke posted:

i think that this and the "whither Laurie?" problems are the two quibbles I had with the episode but i really, really enjoyed the hour I spent watching it. i think dr manhattan is a less interesting character when he's played as completely emotionless and inhuman so allowing him moments of levity and romance, especially in the larger context of the story being told, is cool and good. And I think both of the lead performances are good as well (not to mention Jeremy Irons who is just amazing)

i am now sitting here wondering how they're gonna end all this in the 70 minutes they have next week.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

nooneofconsequence posted:

Manhattan could have easily stopped the 7k so I'm guessing "getting killed was part of the plan :smug:"

He's not dead yet, the cannon only teleported him against his will.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I just realized the pun in the title of this episode and actually it's terrible, sorry

For real though this site is the only place I'm seeing negativity towards this, I thought it was great

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
That was awful.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That conversation with Veidt feels too parasitic to the original, like fan fiction.

There’s really no reason for Dr. Manhattan to be in the series, or at least this involved in the story. Cal’s actor gets points for going dong-out.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

so i feel like this ends with manhattan agreeing to transfer his powers to Senator Keene, Keene immediately loving it up somehow and like, exploding or something, and Jon and Angela living out the rest of their lives in peace without him being able to tell the future. Somewhere in there Trieu and Veidt finally meet and Veidt is happy that someone has taken up his mantle as "resident egotistical maniac trying to save the world" and dies as she presses the button on the Manhattan tower to make a better future. Angela realizes where her ex has really been over the last 35 years, gets furious, and hate-fucks Petey (revealed to be Lube-Man, natch) for the rest of her days.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Yeesh I was all about this show until about halfway through episode 7. Not loving it right now.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

DC Murderverse posted:

so i feel like this ends with manhattan agreeing to transfer his powers to Senator Keene, Keene immediately loving it up somehow and like, exploding or something, and Jon and Angela living out the rest of their lives in peace without him being able to tell the future. Somewhere in there Trieu and Veidt finally meet and Veidt is happy that someone has taken up his mantle as "resident egotistical maniac trying to save the world" and dies as she presses the button on the Manhattan tower to make a better future. Angela realizes where her ex has really been over the last 35 years, gets furious, and hate-fucks Petey (revealed to be Lube-Man, natch) for the rest of her days.

Ah Mr Lindelof welcome to these forums.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also, where the hell was everyone? They put together a pretty big ensemble, I'd prefer to spend time with more of them than Angela, Veidt, and Manhattan (who's basically a new character).

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Random observation but I find it interesting given how Manhattan percieves time and the whole chicken and egg concept with Angela telling Hooded Justice essentially via a medium, that Watchmen exists in a universe where time is unchangeable. That essentially there is only one path that all entropy from the big bang and onward has lead us. I know its a known metaphysical concept but its dope to see it on display here.

Ive got a lot of thoughts on this episode but this is really loving with me and I love it.

Id love if they released the teleplay for this episode. Its structurally fascinating. I think it was mostly great and but it was a little hard for me to fully buy into this particular view of Manhattan at first, by the end I was fully in. I think thats mostly just a personality quirk of the show and I can get past it, they really did nail what was important. His tone is maliable and I think its totally believable in context of a post comic timeline.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 9, 2019

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Also, Teo more instances of “same episode flashbacks” as before.

And please don’t try to explain them as “dr Manhattan experiences all time at once” it wasn’t a good excuse when it was PTSD and it won’t work now

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.
Dr Manhattan: yeah I could transfer my powers to someone through food, like a Eucharist or something, IDK.

Angela: Jon the 7k is here.

Dr Manhattan: awesome. Let me COOK THESE WAFFLES, a FOOD, these blue waffles are my body, this syrup is my blood.

Angela: you say something honey?

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

its just too weird for me that its not billy crudup manhattan. i knew obviously it wouldnt be but i didn’t realize how much i’d internalized that depiction of him

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Just going to go ahead and spoiler just in case with Manhattan's whole 'I guess I *could* give other people my powers' and Mr. Phillips' repeated attempts to give him a horseshoe every birthday, I'm guessing that the servant clones unknowingly have at least some latent Manhattan powers that will come out in the finale.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Mr. Nemo posted:

Also, Teo more instances of “same episode flashbacks” as before.

And please don’t try to explain them as “dr Manhattan experiences all time at once” it wasn’t a good excuse when it was PTSD and it won’t work now

It's an even better reason, jesus

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Arist posted:

It's an even better reason, jesus

Yeah, you are right. Guess I just felt like arguing the void.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I really, really loved this episode. I figured that it would focus on the Jon/Angela backstory and not move forward beyond that, but I feared how they would do it. I was afraid it'd be a more simple affair, linear in time. Having the episode bounce around erratically, like Manhattan experiencing time, was the right way to go and I think they pulled it off perfectly. They really nailed his voice; this completely felt like the character I read about in the comics.

DuhSal posted:

I thought the episode was ok/fine. not great a little too exposition heavy but it had some decent moments. I didn't buy their relationship for a chunk of that time but by the end of the ep I thought it was fairly believable.

I want to see laurie and jon interact thou.

They show us Jon's "moment" when he falls in love with Angela, but we never see her moment. We see her initial doubt, and then we see when she's already in.

I wouldn't expect much with Jon and Laurie, at least as far as Jon is concerned. In the comic, I never thought that Jon had any kind of feelings for her. He was attempting to find humanity, and he didn't find it.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Yahya’s dong is incredible, that is all.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
^-- edit: no homo but this be true

It's interesting how this story is contrasting with the other Watchmen "sequel", Doomsday Clock. There, Manhattan goes to the DC Universe, but he can only see his "future" up until the point where he and Superman fight. Then, everything goes black (much like it is described today). This frustrates him, and is essentially what drives him and the story up to the point of the fight itself. It seems that the two possible outcomes are that Superman kills him, or... reality ends?

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

Revol posted:

They show us Jon's "moment" when he falls in love with Angela, but we never see her moment. We see her initial doubt, and then we see when she's already in.

yea true. maybe if they showed some of the date to see how she fell for him? I guess she gets a little interest at the bar even if she's skeptical. like there are some hints of amusement.

I liked jon's "moment". it was well done.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Revol posted:

I wouldn't expect much with Jon and Laurie, at least as far as Jon is concerned. In the comic, I never thought that Jon had any kind of feelings for her. He was attempting to find humanity, and he didn't find it.

He left Earth when she dumped him. Which, btw, is another subtle critique of Ozymandias the comic has - his cancer scheme really wouldn't have worked if other events outside his control hadn't already severed Doc from his last connection with humanity.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What was Veidt reading at the end? I couldn’t make out the cover.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

What was Veidt reading at the end? I couldn’t make out the cover.

A novel by Max Shea, who was one of the people who created the squid hoax for him. It was previously glimpsed in the episode intro with Trieu offering a child to that couple outside of Tulsa.

EDIT - A summary is on Peteypedia now, and it seems to be a take on the film Jacob's Ladder:

https://www.hbo.com/peteypedia

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Dec 9, 2019

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
I kind of love the notion that Manhattans "paradise" is actually a twisted hell and play on "And God snaps his finger, and the hero goes to hell".

Also I wonder if theyll draw an interesting parallel to Rorsach and LG where he is in disguise and infiltrates the 7K, attempting to stop the experiment but Manhattan must let it happen and maybe will zap him.

"Heaven doesnt need me" is the most beautifully narcissistic statment and it fits in with Veidts broken notions of grandeur so well.

This show is so god drat fascinating. Theres so much to be read from it and I cannot wait to immediately rewatch it all after the finale.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

didn’t see a full on shot of a blue dick. episode was trash

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

this episode’s veidt stuff felt like a direct refutation of the reading of veidt as anything other than a deluded narcissist shithead which i really enjoy

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

romanowski posted:

didn’t see a full on shot of a blue dick. episode was trash

Get out of here you racist.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Surprised at the hate. I loved it.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I feel like the show is suffering from the same problem GoT had, where the show runners underestimated the time they needed to tell the story, but were determined to make the originally proposed episode count either way.

Even if the next episode runs for 70 minutes, there will be no satisfying conclusion. And given that it’s supposed to be a self contained story, that makes this even worse. The episode as a stand alone entity, not viewed in context of being the penultimate episode of the story was fantastic, but you can’t disregard the fact that there is only 60 minutes left and it feels like we are barely 1/3rd of the way through.

Everyone in Hollywood seems to be so set on proving that they are not a 24 episode a season network TV hack that they have lost sight of the forest for the trees, and are committing a worse sin by forcing an abrupt ending to their show,

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Easy to guess what happens in the next episode which will demand more seasons. I don't know how I feel about this show yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Tenzarin posted:

Easy to guess what happens in the next episode which will demand more seasons. I don't know how I feel about this show yet.

it has some good moments which makes the more frequent bad ones all the more disappointing