Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity/status/1146636652028321792?s=20

If something on Twitter makes you feel good be suspicious.
Edit: and if you see something really stupid and you have the urge to reply to it remember it's probably a bit account that is trying to get engagements to then run ads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

TBF, it's DTRPG - after their managing of the Zak poo poo, or Green Ronin, any amount of fuckery is at least semi-plausible.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
Is this the same person who recently got their perma appealed on RPG.net and then started bragging on their facebook about how they were going to target the mods for their centrism or some poo poo, starting with the one openly trans mod? And was then ranting about being "stalked" when she was immediately banned again after this stunning plan was found out? It sounds about as well thought out.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Desiden posted:

Is this the same person who recently got their perma appealed on RPG.net and then started bragging on their facebook about how they were going to target the mods for their centrism or some poo poo, starting with the one openly trans mod? And was then ranting about being "stalked" when she was immediately banned again after this stunning plan was found out? It sounds about as well thought out.

No, that's someone else. No connection between those two at all, in fact.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

The worst thing is... it shook out something that should alarm veteran F&Fers:

https://twitter.com/ChrisAField1/status/1203846195803758592

:stonklol:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Stephenls posted:

https://twitter.com/DriveThruRPG/status/1203827316830482432

https://twitter.com/DriveThruRPG/status/1203832780230189057

https://twitter.com/DriveThruRPG/status/1203834413680869376

According to that twitter thread, the publisher had their product pulled, and then, in outrage, went into their own publisher description and edited it to make it look like a takedown notice.

Now, the DTRPG rep could be lying on twitter. But the writer of the product in question has been vandalizing the RPGnet wiki for weeks.

lmao

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

StratGoatCom posted:

TBF, it's DTRPG - after their managing of the Zak poo poo, or Green Ronin, any amount of fuckery is at least semi-plausible.

Yeah, it's semi-plausible and that exactly why we have to be really careful not to be taken advantage of. This kind of abuse of our trust really sucks and basically forces us to walk around in a state of constant paranoia. I hate it when people do that, because it causes so much harm to our ability to believe and act when we actually need to.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I wasn't aware that publishers could edit that to look like whatever, so that's on me.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Kai Tave posted:

I wasn't aware that publishers could edit that to look like whatever, so that's on me.

I get the impression that most people, including rather a lot of people publishing on DriveThruRPG, were unaware.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Kai Tave posted:

Yet another of the many ways that DTRPG is a piece of poo poo.

Dec 26, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

To be fair, I reckon most people wouldn't try to make it look like their product was unavailable on 1 of the, like, 2 online rpg book outlets.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

For reference here is a normal use of that feature.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The longterm damage of this is that it's going to come back everytime someone harasses a trans person in the industry.

"We can't take this accusation seriously because remember those two hours on December 8, 2019?"

Thanks, rear end in a top hat!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

moths posted:

The longterm damage of this is that it's going to come back everytime someone harasses a trans person in the industry.

"We can't take this accusation seriously because remember those two hours on December 8, 2019?"

Thanks, rear end in a top hat!

Yep, I'm super unhappy that whatever this person and their malfunctioning brain thought they were going to accomplish with this stunt, the fallout is inevitably going to make things shittier for people with legitimate grievances to be taken seriously.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
what the gently caress happened, I apparently missed this 2 hour long scam?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

sexpig by night posted:

someone tried to make it look like DTRPG had removed their game from the storefront because it was hate speech against the police

turns out the screenshots were doctored

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

gradenko_2000 posted:

someone tried to make it look like DTRPG had removed their game from the storefront because it was hate speech against the police

turns out the screenshots were doctored

The screenshots were real, they just used DTTRPG's seldom-used page editing feature to make a fake ban message

Which was an immediate red flag because I'm pretty sure DTTRPG doesn't do, like, specific ban messages

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Person has one of their products temporarily hidden pending review. Person is not banned.

Because person is not banned, person retains editing power over their publisher page. Person uses this power to change their other products to hidden, edits their publisher profile with a fake ban notice that claims they were banned for publishing products that were prejudiced against “a persecuted minority: the police,” then posts a complaint about it to their blog and tweets about it.

Twitter notices and starts demanding an explanation from DTRPG.

DTRPG provides that explanation.

Everyone gets pissed at person for this stupid poo poo.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
what a dumb fuckin stunt

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

Stephenls posted:

Everyone gets pissed at person for this stupid poo poo.

Not quite everyone, there's still a fair few folks on Twitter insisting it was justified and/or not the publisher creating a ban hoax. Just "a snarky, bitter comment" about Drivethru. That ... lied about a ban that didn't happen. Somehow a fake ban notice is not a hoax because ???

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

taichara posted:

Not quite everyone, there's still a fair few folks on Twitter insisting it was justified and/or not the publisher creating a ban hoax. Just "a snarky, bitter comment" about Drivethru. That ... lied about a ban that didn't happen. Somehow a fake ban notice is not a hoax because ???

Presumably because the initial product removal pending review was algorithmically generated bullshit, and unjust, and therefore deserving of reprisal in the form of an attempt to tank DTRPG’s PR.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

The original blog post with the screenshot appears dated to December 6th and the person behind it has apparently been vandalizing the RPG.net wiki with links to it (and to a second blog post accusing RPG.net moderation of... something) for a couple of days, but it really only exploded on social media tonight and DTRPG were quick to respond once people started messaging them about it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
What was the original product, anyway?

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

What was the original product, anyway?

A Lasers and Feelings hack that... honestly I convey its tone no better than it conveys in its own opening paragraph:

quote:

PLAYERS: CREATE CHARACTERS
1. Choose what passes for your cop’s personality: racist, queerphobe, ableist, wife-beater, _______.
2. Choose your cops’s favorite MO: shooting, taser, beating, sexual assault. _______.
3. Choose your number, from 2 to 5. A high number means you’re better at POLICE (bullying the less fortunate). A low number means you’re better at PROCEDURE (suck up to the powerful).

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

LatwPIAT posted:

A Lasers and Feelings hack that... honestly I convey its tone no better than it conveys in its own opening paragraph:

So nothing of value was lost.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
maybe we as a community should be just a smidge more selective of who we're going to circle the wagons for

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

LatwPIAT posted:

Honestly that sounds like an accurate description of a cop in america

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

I don't believe that a table-top game that has mechanics to execute the verb 'sexual assault' is actually doing good for anyone, irrespective of whatever semi-satirical point is being made.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Honestly that sounds like an accurate description of a cop in america

A lot of people seem to agree with the sentiment. It's also a sentiment that's very controversial at the moment, which is probably why so many people flagged it on DTRPG and caused an automatic pull for review.

Once you get past the sentiment though, there's just not much there. It says it's a game about "[acting] out a police procedure and see just how much it justifies police brutality.", but the neither the mechanical design of the game nor the presentation actually lets you do that. While there's some cool things that can be done with messages told through mechanics, this isn't that kind of game, and it runs into the problems you usually get with "comedy" and "parody" games, which is that that jokes are really, really stale. Like wow. A cops-eating-doughnuts joke. I'm betting you spent the whole night thinking about that one! A crude drawing of a pig in a police hat? Such original, much funny!

Honestly, being badly written is perhaps the game's only saving grace, because if the game seemed like you could actually play it, a police brutality simulator would just be in really bad taste, even if the author has scribbled "satire" on the page with a crayon.

LatwPIAT fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Dec 9, 2019

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

LatwPIAT posted:

Choose what passes for your cop’s personality: racist, queerphobe, ableist, wife-beater

So what's the second option :razz:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ettin posted:

So what's the second option :razz:

Got em

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

LatwPIAT posted:

I can say without irony, sarcasm or pretense that Freebase! beat them to this particular form of critique twenty, thirty years ago.

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

the only genius in the whole fucking business
Today was a real fun loving time to be a person whose ability to pay rent is dependent on DriveThruRPG.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

För the people more in the know, what are the alternatives to DTRPG? I've heard people are moving to itch , but is that comparable at this point? Is there someone else doing print on demand?

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Nessus posted:

I can say without irony, sarcasm or pretense that Freebase! beat them to this particular form of critique twenty, thirty years ago.

Freebase! has the best take on D&D alignment, period.

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

the only genius in the whole fucking business

Hel posted:

För the people more in the know, what are the alternatives to DTRPG? I've heard people are moving to itch , but is that comparable at this point? Is there someone else doing print on demand?

Itch is good if you just wanna move PDFs, but I don't think there's another option for PoD yet.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I am glad Itch exists, and it seems... Fine? It is kinda the same problem as moving away from steam. I have so many years of purchases consolidated in one place that splitting my collection up isn't something I want to do.

Hopefully people will sell their products both places, but I don't know how that works.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

You can technically make more from drive thru if you agree to be exclusive, but I think it's about 5%. Probably worth it to post to both places.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

oriongates posted:

You can technically make more from drive thru if you agree to be exclusive, but I think it's about 5%. Probably worth it to post to both places.

Yeah, I think it's probably harder to make money off of games going strictly with itch.io, it's still kind of early days and a lot of people are invested in using DTRPG for the same reasons people are invested in sticking with Steam, but I can't really think of a reason to go DTRPG exclusive rather than putting your games on both sites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

My impression was that the audience overlap between itch and DTRPG wasn't that large so there wasn't any reason not to go on both. Not sure of how true that is though.