Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

tokenbrownguy posted:

A buddy picked up Food Chain Magnate at a con and we’re set to play next week. I know folks were talking about 1st turn moves a few pages back. What does a new player need to know / what are the first turn moves to make?

The game takes approximately 95% less table space if you laminate the menu boards and cross off milestones with different colored dry-erase markers rather than trying to wrangle two dozen little piles of milestone cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

food court bailiff posted:

The game takes approximately 95% less table space if you laminate the menu boards and cross off milestones with different colored dry-erase markers rather than trying to wrangle two dozen little piles of milestone cards.

Which milestone print out are you using for your games? I've got the ones Bottom Liner used in his portable version but was curious if people used/preferred other ones for non-portable games?

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 5, 2019

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I agree to just use the new milestones. Easier for new players and also speeds up the game.

print at 5x7

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Crystal Palace was really satisfying last night. Ended up just using the rules as written on turn order and generally speaking, nobody seemed all that bothered by bidding high and winding up last. If anything, there was a decent amount of advantage to going a bit later and seeing where you could set up your low dice. I could see a house rule, but either way, it's not a huge deal to our group.

But man, that game is a knife fight in a closet. Even with 5P, you have to watch everyone else's placements so carefully and know what resources they have at their disposal to predict their future placements. It definitely never felt like there was any sort of lull between my turns. Scores were relatively close and it was hard, until the very last round, to forecast who had pole position for first place.

It's a really good design. Highly recommend. Also, HC's stream had some folks complain a lot about the "take that" element of the game but I definitely didn't see those. It's pretty standard worker placement "take that" in terms of blocking spots mostly; yes, you can take-that people who overly invest in the Black Market, but that's a risk they know going in and they're getting massive resources from that investment if you *don't* mess with it. (Our Black Market never busted). The Patents can also give some take-that, but again, you can predict where that will come from and take some calculated risks as to whether you want to leave yourself open to being targeted by someone else. Some groups might not like it for those elements, but to me, the take-that is very controlled and easy to manage and prepare for.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

al-azad posted:

Tbh if it’s everyone’s first time then just play the full game, ignore strategies and suggestions. It will become immediately obvious what the best openers are like 5 turns in which is maybe 15 minutes of gameplay and you can decide as a group if you want to run back from the beginning.

I think this is the best way to truly learn FCM. If there was someone who played before then yeah go RG but you’re all new so gently caress up, make mistakes, learn the game.

I appreciate the sentiment, but at least two players have played before and are good at teaching games, but not the most upfront about the metagame. If that makes sense? I was asking for the benefit of myself and any other scrubs we can drag in.

Dancer posted:

Everyone spends their hire on recruiting girl turn 1, and recruiting girl + trainer turn 2. Build from there.

golden bubble posted:

Print out the expansion milestones. They are just better than the base game milestones, and they signpost all the good openings by having a few milestones say "can only be acquired on or before turn two."

food court bailiff posted:

Bottom Liner posted:

I agree to just use the new milestones. Easier for new players and also speeds up the game.

print at 5x7

Thanks folks!

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Memnaelar posted:

Crystal Palace was really satisfying last night. Ended up just using the rules as written on turn order and generally speaking, nobody seemed all that bothered by bidding high and winding up last. If anything, there was a decent amount of advantage to going a bit later and seeing where you could set up your low dice. I could see a house rule, but either way, it's not a huge deal to our group.

But man, that game is a knife fight in a closet. Even with 5P, you have to watch everyone else's placements so carefully and know what resources they have at their disposal to predict their future placements. It definitely never felt like there was any sort of lull between my turns. Scores were relatively close and it was hard, until the very last round, to forecast who had pole position for first place.

It's a really good design. Highly recommend. Also, HC's stream had some folks complain a lot about the "take that" element of the game but I definitely didn't see those. It's pretty standard worker placement "take that" in terms of blocking spots mostly; yes, you can take-that people who overly invest in the Black Market, but that's a risk they know going in and they're getting massive resources from that investment if you *don't* mess with it. (Our Black Market never busted). The Patents can also give some take-that, but again, you can predict where that will come from and take some calculated risks as to whether you want to leave yourself open to being targeted by someone else. Some groups might not like it for those elements, but to me, the take-that is very controlled and easy to manage and prepare for.

How do you think it would play with 2? Can you even play at 2??

VVVV Great, looking forward to hearing your thoughts. Capstone rarely disappoints but I don't want to waste my time if it's no-good at low counts.

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 5, 2019

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

FulsomFrank posted:

How do you think it would play with 2? Can you even play at 2??

We'll be playing it with two later today. Games on the Brain podcast has a full review of Crystal Palace, mentioning yours truly, it's pretty funny.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

silvergoose posted:

Clones, like the existing expansion campaign mode.

What about ship upgrades if your ship gets blown up?

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Jimbozig posted:

What about ship upgrades if your ship gets blown up?

The black box sends home a 3d printer design of the ship when you get blown up so it replicates it

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

The Narrator posted:

The black box sends home a 3d printer design of the ship when you get blown up so it replicates it

Ship upgrades represent improvements to the SS sitting duck class?

You could even build it in as you get prototypes initially then when your ship explodes you get all your prototypes converted to the mass production versions.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Nah you gotta do it like Pandemic where you get multiple tries at the mission and get some bonuses to the second/third one if you gently caress up the first one or two.

Success advances one plotline where you explore the universe and find some conspiracy plot, and failure advances a different plotline where you find the conspiracy plot within Corporation Incorporated (the reason you were failing obv, it was a setup/sabotage, not that you suck)

If any sort of game would need a fail forward story mechanism it would be space alert

Fellis fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Dec 6, 2019

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

And you, who are you? This is what we've got, yes. What are you going to make of it?
Fun Shoe
I don't think it's a huge re-skin to say that a loss isn't total annihilation, the empty husk of your ship drifts into space harbor a few days later with your mangled and suffocated bodies inside. Thaw out some clones and get to repairing. Yeah, it loses a bit of the flavour do I can see how some people would be turned off by that.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Space hulk but you’re cloned space alert team members fighting off the mutated forms of your former selves.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Looks like Living Planet should arrive in the US (then head out for fulfillment in North America) in mid-to-late December.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

The Eyes Have It posted:

Looks like Living Planet should arrive in the US (then head out for fulfillment in North America) in mid-to-late December.

I'm so excited for this. I was honestly afraid it might be the first KS that fails for me, but it's finally happening!!!

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Mayveena posted:

We'll be playing it with two later today. Games on the Brain podcast has a full review of Crystal Palace, mentioning yours truly, it's pretty funny.

I REALLY like that podcast and have heard you get name-dropped on there a couple of times. Just found it last week and am really impressed with their format and analysis. Straight to the top of my must-listen (although I think it's "Game Brain Podcast")

The short answer is I'm guessing it plays really well. The game boards are modular. Spots 1 and 5-8 are all 2-3P and 4-5P variable and then Spots 2-4 are 2/3/4/5P variant, meaning that they really put a lot of effort making the game state scale to the player count. We played at 5 and, like I said, the game felt like it sung. Might be even more directly confrontational in 2P as many patents can have an "F you" effect that you can direct at an opponent rather than yourself (well, less F you and more take this benefit at this cost which can be good or can be devastating depending on your current game state). But to the game's credit, there's no "surprise" F you. You'll know at the start of a round how a patent can screw you and if you let the other player draft it, you'd better be drafting the resources that will keep it from hosing your gameplay -- and you'll likely be able to. If anything, it's easier to prep in 2P (now that I think on it) as there's no possibility they'll opt to play the "bad effect" on another player.

So much for short answer.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

This looks more interesting than anything that came out of spiel this year: https://twitter.com/itten_games_en/status/1203210336372846593

I’m going to say pax pamir 2 is GOTY 2019 probably followed by this neat “I cut you choose” game called I don’t wanna leave the kotatsu.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Whats the difference between the two Brass editions? Is one considered better? Are any of them decent at 2 players?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

uncle blog posted:

Whats the difference between the two Brass editions? Is one considered better? Are any of them decent at 2 players?

Brass Lancashire has fixed setup, Brass Birmingham has slightly random setup and simpler rules for loans and wild card play. I prefer Brum, because I don't have to explain to people that you never take a loan for less than £30.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Last day of the Hollandspiele sale. If you want An Infamous Traffic or Teutons! Assaults on the West before they go back into the disney vault, grab them now.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

uncle blog posted:

One has an inferior map showing a part of the world nobody cares about

They play surprisingly well at 2 but it's probably fair to say that the more involved interactions you get at 3-4 are where the games shines

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

So a friend of mine asked me for board game gift recommendations for a mutual friend. Any suggestions? Important details to note:

1: The person in question is a fan of games like Frag, Munchkin, and Metal Gear Solid Risk (mostly because it's MGS themed) so games along those lines but... y'know... good, are preferred.

2: I don't actually like the recipient very much so I'm not that concerned about quality but I thought I'd be helpful and there's a nonzero chance I might get roped into playing it so something less then awful to play is good.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Coup

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Glagha posted:

So a friend of mine asked me for board game gift recommendations for a mutual friend. Any suggestions? Important details to note:

1: The person in question is a fan of games like Frag, Munchkin, and Metal Gear Solid Risk (mostly because it's MGS themed) so games along those lines but... y'know... good, are preferred.

2: I don't actually like the recipient very much so I'm not that concerned about quality but I thought I'd be helpful and there's a nonzero chance I might get roped into playing it so something less then awful to play is good.

They'd probably enjoy Boss Monster. It's a lot like Munchkin, except it's guaranteed to end within a certain span of time because either someone will win or everyone else will lose.

If you're looking for anything more than a mediocre game, there's Not Alone. You can sum it up as "Predator: The Game".

Top answer is Legendary Encounters: Alien, which gets eaten up by anyone who is a fan of the movies.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Got a chance to go back to boardgame club for the first time in a while, and sat down to play a couple games.

#1: Wingspan. Yeah, it's Topdeck: The Game, but it makes a pretty good club game. It plays fast, plays 5, and the card variance means there's always something new happening, especially with the eurobird expansion. It was my first actual game of it, but there was a round objective for getting the most when played/unpowered birds, I got a bunch of them for bonus cards, and drew into some pretty nice synergy there with 5 water habitats/3 fish eaters/8 cards in hand. It's Topdeck: The Game, might as well play a draw strategy to get the most topdeck! Also in the initial hand I got a (eurobird?) grain scavver, who could tap off-turn to pick a grain out of the feeder after someone else finished their birdfeeder action. That one did some work for me and I wound up winning, but the overall spread from first to last was about 20 points out of 90 to win.

#2: Race to the New World. It didn't have to be colonialism-themed, but it was. Build ships with crew/crate/telescope/speed attributes, assign them to one of four phases in turn order, run the phases in order of ship speed. Send 1 ship for a free good (up to crate power) and a 1-time bonus card (from a topdeck equal to crate power), up to 3 to put cubes (= crew) out on discovered tiles and get goods or points from the map tile, up to 3 to deliver goods (= crate) to cities and get points from a contract offer, up to 2 to draw (= telescope) map tiles and put out one per ship, with one of your cubes on it, and get both bonuses, instead of just the one for settling. When a city or island is complete there's a majority scoring +1 per each of your cubes on it. The interesting thing it did was incentivize scoring points quickly, as opposed to holding onto your resources for a more efficient play - there were five markers out on the score track and as soon as you hit one you got your pick out of a fixed pool of endgame bonuses, goods, or rulebreaker captain cards, then slid the marker down the track a bit to make it easier for the next guy. There's even a few bonus points on the 50/100 cards you take for looping the track that you score at the end of the game. It was a pretty fast game - four rounds, very few complicated decisions - and I decided heck with it, raced as fast as I could, hit most of the markers first, and won. It's a pretty light game, scores were pretty close, and most of the rules are on your player mat.

I also watched an interesting game of Feast + Norwegians finish its last two rounds. One player with four islands (and the Seafarer +16 bonus); one player with Princess, six houses, and no income; one player who filled Faroe for the bonus turn 3, mostly by ignoring all of the perishable bonuses on it; and one player with a shipbuilder occupation and a bunch of immigrations but who had terrible dice luck all night. The no-income guy took it with 140 by about 5 points. The shipbuilder player might have been in better contention if they didn't take Labrador for the linen bonus to play into the shipbuilder; they couldn't get much coverage on it at all.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 8, 2019

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Glagha posted:

Adrenaline seems like it would be a good thematic fit if you can find a copy for cheap

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Did anyone ever top Battlestar Galactica as a traitor game?

I liked that the entire game wasn't just "find the traitor", there was a bit of depth to the mechanics for just running the ship and dealing with problems as well. On the other hand, the characters weren't balanced and the jump mechanic making the game length highly variable was pretty bad.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Nope.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Gort posted:

I liked that the entire game wasn't just "find the traitor", there was a bit of depth to the mechanics for just running the ship and dealing with problems as well. On the other hand, the characters weren't balanced and the jump mechanic making the game length highly variable was pretty bad.

A game that has traitors from the start? I had a long post about semi-coops, more specifically John Company, and how they produce better traitor behavior and more satisfying narrative arcs than long games with a guaranteed traitor from the beginning. I say “long games” cuz short social deduction games aren’t really expected to form a good story arc. But if you’re interested in the game around the traitors and running an organization well, John Company is the best I’ve played so far.

:eyepop:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Chill la Chill posted:

A game that has traitors from the start? I had a long post about semi-coops, more specifically John Company, and how they produce better traitor behavior and more satisfying narrative arcs than long games with a guaranteed traitor from the beginning. I say “long games” cuz short social deduction games aren’t really expected to form a good story arc. But if you’re interested in the game around the traitors and running an organization well, John Company is the best I’ve played so far.

:eyepop:

Yeah I was assuming the hidden traitor guaranteed genre, not joco.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Gort posted:

The Menace Among Us is apparently pretty good, but it is vastly simpler than BSG, whether that’s good probably depends on you.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Gort posted:

Nope. There haven't even been many attempts at making an improved option

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I'm the only person on this forum who thinks Dark Moon is better than BSG.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Rusty Kettle posted:

I'm the only person on this forum who thinks Dark Moon is better than BSG.

I think you might be the only person in the world that thinks that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

I think you might be the only person in the world that thinks that.

Dark Moon has one big edge over BSG: it ends.

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.
BSG totally ends if you do it right

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Max Peck posted:

BSG totally ends if you do it right

I knew this was gonna be PG:Party Rock before I clicked

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Here are some of short thoughts about PAX:

1] Oceans completely replaces all the previous Evolution games for me. It's much more interactive, has more interesting abilities, the interaction between ocean zones provides some fun endgame manipulation, and the tension between standard surface cards and deep cards adds a cool layer of hand management that was largely absent from the previous games.

2] This is heretical, but I'm OK with Caylus 1303. It still has to fun interaction with the player owned buildings and the bailiff, and I'm willing to sacrifice some strategic depth for a faster game.

3] Bus is still amazing, and Capstone games had a sick lineup at this convention. They brought Bus, Watergate, Irish Gage, Pipeline, Ragusa, The Climbers, and The Estates.

4] Crokinole is a great dexterity game, though I'm bad at it.

5] Everyone is terrible at Deep Sea Adventure. Out of all the games I've played and all the games I've seen played, I only saw two rounds where someone managed to get back at all. I still bought the game anyway.

6] I managed to win the new Through the Ages "tournament". Although it wasn't much of a tournament since there were only four players that showed up, myself included. One player had to resign near the end of Age II, because the game was taking too long, and we were all rushing our last turn to prevent another player from resigning due to other commitments. But I still enjoyed the rare chance to play that game face-to-face.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
A very full day of boardgames today; we played two very close 5-player games of Cthulhu Wars followed by a match of Inis to close out the night. The contrast between the two was striking, despite both being dudes on a map games. Cthulhu Wars is all about channeling the long evolution of board states into just the right place for you, with each action having far-reaching consequences to take into consideration. Inis, in contrast, is very opportunistic; right from the first draft each round feels like a desperate knife fight where any misstep (particularly mis-reading another player's draft) will be rewarded by a sharp implement to the gut. Both are really excellent games yet feel profoundly different to play. Good times!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Gort posted:

Any other game as BSG is absolute trash. I can expand if you like but BSG is not great as an all round experience.