Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
50 minutes of a completely unearned romance that doesn't land whatsoever. I'd say this was the worst episode of the show but it's been an absolute mess from the start. Every review praises the show by spending 5% of the article talking about what happened on screen and 95% to all of the easter eggs and references and Peteypedia poo poo. They're so wrapped up in mystery box poo poo that they forgot to tell a coherent story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
Angela has to know that Jon was going to get blasted no matter what otherwise why would you not yell "GET AWAY FROM THE loving CANNON"

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

i am the bird posted:

50 minutes of a completely unearned romance that doesn't land whatsoever. I'd say this was the worst episode of the show but it's been an absolute mess from the start. Every review praises the show by spending 5% of the article talking about what happened on screen and 95% to all of the easter eggs and references and Peteypedia poo poo. They're so wrapped up in mystery box poo poo that they forgot to tell a coherent story.

Bruh.

The romance is every bit as earned as what Sally and Doc have in the original series. No, it's not Sally and Dan, but it never sets out to be. The story is plenty coherent, as evidenced by the shitload of people who tune in and enjoy it without any comic background (I'll admit I was flabbergasted by how many of my friends were into it, despite my being sure you needed the comic background to dig half of it.)

But, sure, absolute mess. Do tell.

Cory Snyder
Jan 27, 2004

People have compared me to Cal Ripken...

i am the bird posted:

I know when to ignore a post when it includes the words “mystery box.”

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

i am the bird posted:

Took the words right out of my mouth

Sardikar
Sep 27, 2004
I cant think of anything to put here.

I loved it.

FIGHT ME!

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Episode stunk

beanieson posted:

Dong of the year 2019

E: finale better be 70 mins of Lube Man origin story

We saw his origin, pete was unprepared and sex with laurie was horrible. From that day forward he swore he'd never be without lube

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Why is everyone talking about the horseshoe now? Is there a post credits scene?

...have there been post credits scenes I’ve been missing?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Aphrodite posted:

Why is everyone talking about the horseshoe now? Is there a post credits scene?

...have there been post credits scenes I’ve been missing?

Only for this episode.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Idk what other people were watching but this story felt pretty coherent to me. I also enjoyed this episode a lot.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Soooo... possible finale is Angela becomes the new Dr Manhattan, right?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Based on Doc’s command to “watch the eggs”, I went back and rewatched the scenes between Angela and Will in Episode 2, and it definitely plays at a whole nother level when they discuss whether Dr. Manhattan could be a black man, or more specifically, Will. Him eating the pot of hard-boiled eggs certainly suggests he will have some sort of powers-based reveal in the finale.

Who are Veidt’s 8 million children? Has he been seeding Dr. Manhattan powers throughout the general populace, where, since they don’t know they have them, they can’t use them, until he comes back in the finale and activates them all to some end? All the beneficiaries of the Victims of Racial Violence Act, perhaps?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Putting a raw egg in manhattans beer was a real dick move

Caros
May 14, 2008

Klungar posted:

Based on Doc’s command to “watch the eggs”, I went back and rewatched the scenes between Angela and Will in Episode 2, and it definitely plays at a whole nother level when they discuss whether Dr. Manhattan could be a black man, or more specifically, Will. Him eating the pot of hard-boiled eggs certainly suggests he will have some sort of powers-based reveal in the finale.

Who are Veidt’s 8 million children? Has he been seeding Dr. Manhattan powers throughout the general populace, where, since they don’t know they have them, they can’t use them, until he comes back in the finale and activates them all to some end? All the beneficiaries of the Victims of Racial Violence Act, perhaps?

He said eight billion, I think. As in, everyone on earth is waiting for him because he is that awesome.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Memnaelar posted:

Bruh.

The romance is every bit as earned as what Sally and Doc have in the original series. No, it's not Sally and Dan, but it never sets out to be. The story is plenty coherent, as evidenced by the shitload of people who tune in and enjoy it without any comic background (I'll admit I was flabbergasted by how many of my friends were into it, despite my being sure you needed the comic background to dig half of it.)

But, sure, absolute mess. Do tell.

An affectless god who can no longer relate to humans tells a woman that they are in love and she agrees to this even though she knows he brutally slaughtered millions of Vietnamese people and, in her eyes, caused the murder of her parents because hey, he admitted it was an oopsie.

Okay.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

This is the transition from the 2nd generation of superheroes to the 3rd.

Looking Glass is Rorschach II
Sister Night becomes Dr Manhattan II
Agent Petey is Silk Spectre III- Lube Man
Lady Trieu is Ozymandias II
This sounds about right. I can picture a finale ending with Looking Glass embedded in a surviving cell of the 7th K, Angela spraying the blue skin around her eyes black, a bottle of lube falling out of Petey’s briefcase as he leaves the hotel, Lady Trieu looking out from her balcony as she triggers a Leftovers-type worldwide memory-warping event that leaves us in an uncertain future.

Damon will stick to his story that the season was a self-contained miniseries where this new-yet-familiar status quo was intended to be the series' definitive ending, and it would work that way. But HBO needs a hit, and I think they'll be able to convince him that on TV nothing ever ends (at least for a while).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

i am the bird posted:

An affectless god who can no longer relate to humans

Might want to read how Watchmen ends again.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Caros posted:

He said eight billion, I think. As in, everyone on earth is waiting for him because he is that awesome.

I heard million - and my initial thought was everyone so it threw me. Maybe I misheard.

At the risk of outing myself as a dummy, I thought it was as good as every other episode so far. I guess it doesn't bother me if something is done in the obvious way (i.e. the Dr Manhattan episode being told exactly like Dr Manhattans story in the comic).

But this series still hinges on its final episode. If Veidt/The Kavalry/Trieu doesn't payoff then its going to be disappointing. At least Lost had great character episodes aside from the overarching nonsense.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I really loved the episode as a piece of the narrative they’ve created, I just have a bit of a hard time totally squaring it with the comics. I’m not convinced they did the necessary legwork of showing how Manhattan got from where he was at the end of the comics to meeting Angela in the bar. It does feel kinda like they’re just telling the story they want to tell, which is faithful to but not entirely beholden to the comics. Which is probably the right approach. It just feels a bit off, which is natural since it’s a completely different creative voice from Alan Moore.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Caros posted:

I just rewatched in case I misheard, but both he and the captions say Million. Billion would mean the answer you gave, obviously, but Million is something else.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Putting a raw egg in manhattans beer was a real dick move

Dr. M. DGAF

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

i am the bird posted:

An affectless god who can no longer relate to humans tells a woman that they are in love and she agrees to this even though she knows he brutally slaughtered millions of Vietnamese people and, in her eyes, caused the murder of her parents because hey, he admitted it was an oopsie.

Okay.

Actually it was better than ok, it was really good!

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Despera posted:

43 Minute exposition dump comon

lol yea, rip this show. idk introducing dr. manhattan proper on the second to last episode and then dump all that is pretty uh... awkward and I don't really care about their relationship (I did enjoy Angela dropping MF-bombs for everyone reaction lol)

I give this episode an A+, for Asses

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

i am the bird posted:

i mean maybe you're reading shittier reviews than i am but i read three different critics who posted right after the episode finished airing, and all of them loved it and didn't really get into all the mystery box poo poo. The Vox review panel does a good job of talking about the content of the episode and one of them is someone who never read the original GN and doesn't give a poo poo about that stuff, and the AV Club reviewer is specifically talking about the show from her perspective as a black woman. Maybe go to better websites?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I am so glad that despite weeks of whining and diaper-filling by Taintrunner I was not spoiled on the events of this episode just because an obscure exclusive video for an industry event had spoilers in it six months ago.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Episode was "OK" which is a tragedy for the climax of what was looking to be one of the best series of the decade

Lotta lost momentum

Unless the finale totally drops the ball, the series will at least coast into a B-Tier legacy

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

Your mommy kills animals! I bet you didn't know that.

Skitz posted:

I'm just waiting for the horseshoe to come into play. That's gonna be the biggest moment in the Veidt arc.

I told you motherfuckers.

Ubiquitous_ posted:

Soooo... possible finale is Angela becomes the new Dr Manhattan, right?

No, Topher.

Also, I was really hoping for LG to show up in that last scene in his stolen 7K mask.

Skitz fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Dec 9, 2019

Caros
May 14, 2008

Klungar posted:

I just rewatched in case I misheard, but both he and the captions say Million. Billion would mean the answer you gave, obviously, but Million is something else.

Huh. Well now I'm just confused.

On a different note, I find myself a bit annoyed that the series has had nearly three full episodes of back to back flashbacks. I get the idea of filling out the setting, but it feels like at least one too many.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

i am the bird posted:

Okay.

That's exactly why he loves her, out of any other human on the planet. He did all of that, and she's still willing to die for him. Isn't that crazy?

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
"So that's why you came, want me to cover myself in lube again?"
"No. Angela does."

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The Watchmen movie did the effect for Doctor Manhattan by having Billy Crudup perform in person covered in blue lights so when they used CGI to replace him with a bald muscular blue man the blue glow radiating from him and reflecting off of the environment and other actors would be a 100% practical effect and they would still be able to use motion capture to have his actual performance on screen. I feel like they could have done the same thing only superimposing the actor over footage instead of using a CGI double and been a million times better than just having Cal Abar doing his best Tobias Funke impression and calling it a day, especially considering every frame of Looking Glass' mask is a special effect.

HppyCmpr
May 8, 2011
Episode was not good and I was totally on board with this show until this last episode; which is a shame considering how strong the first episodes were.
I don't think I've rolled my eyes and sighed so much at a show since Sons of Anarchy.

They're not sticking the landing.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Episode was the same quality as the rest of the series, for better or worse, and does no disservice to the comic or the lovely movie. These complainers are tripping rear end.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Well, except for the guitar riffs when doc is clumsily stopping bullets, that was dumb. The music was pretty meh for this ep overall.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Cal's blue glow was a bit cheap looking at times, but I loved the episode otherwise. I guess some people think the romance didn't land or something but Angela said it herself, this is some Zeus type poo poo and man does it feel like a proper modern version of Watchmen. Can't wait to see how the season ends.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

that ruled. if I knew sister night was gonna smoke a dozen plus some neo-nazis I'd fall so loving hard.

he creates her, she destroys him. beautiful.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016
So maybe I am off my rocker...

But maybe this whole series is Laurie’s joke from episode 3. All three hero’s are in their own hell. Owl guy in jail, Veidt on Europa, and Jon is always there.

The bricklayer from the first part of the joke is Veidt, and his daughter is lady trieu. He built his elaborate bbq aka squid monster but forgot something. So lady T is building the clock to make up for it. I haven’t figured out who god is yet so I don’t know who’s brain is coming out their nose as the punch line. They have one episode left so I am guessing that’s where we get that answer.

Enjoyed the episode. Like all the other characters viewpoint episodes it felt like we where in their head. It’s just that Jon sees things all at once and as immutable. So because he loves Angela in that moment he has always loved Angela. That was the crux of it and if you didn’t buy that then the rest wouldn’t have worked you.

Her reaction in the pool scene felt like a reshoot though.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

AccountSupervisor posted:

I kind of love the notion that Manhattans "paradise" is actually a twisted hell and play on "And God snaps his finger, and the hero goes to hell".

Oh God drat it, this immediately made me smack my forehead and realize how the finale is going to go. (Do we spoiler tag speculation? Even informed speculation?)

Senator guy is the blue man analogue, Doc is gonna snap his fingers and send him to hell, the “brick” is gonna be something a female character set up far in advance that brings everything tumbling down. My money’s actually on Angela’s adopted daughter.

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

cunts are still running the show.
the virgin doc "accepts his fate" manhattan

vs

the chad adrian "i'll dig myself out of hell with a loving horseshoe" veidt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Episode was good and I enjoyed watching (especially the creation on europa and their first meeting in the bar) but it had some issues. Didn't reach the same heights as earlier episodes (LG and HJ episodes I think are the clear highlights).

I'll be a bit disappointed if there is no more expansion on the timeline of Dr. Manhattan being on Europa for 30 years and all of a sudden just going "ok I have to warp to a bar in vietnam now to meet my new lover" - he fell for Laurie because he met her - not because he knew the relationship would happen and therefore knew he had to go meet her. Likewise the information transfer paradox between Angela and Will is much less satisfying to me than something more along the lines of Manhattan knowing about Angela through Will or him meeting her in some other situation. Manhttan just taking a sudden trip purely for the purpose of meeting her seems completely out of character. I feel like Manhattan has been retconned into a prime mover/time traveller instead of a dude stuck on rails, knowing he's stuck on rails but powerless to stop.

Also the "oh i could give someone my powers through food" was just a really bad line, especially at this point in the season where we know by now that if a someone says something weird like that, it is definitely true/will happen.

I've been a fanatic of the show til now, this episode was a bit of a stumble and it feels like there is still a lot to do in the finale and I fear it will feel rushed compared to the steady unveiling of the rest of the show. I think the only way to have a truly satisfying finish is another character-centric episode that nonetheless ties everything and everyone together and the only character that could work is Trieu. I'm hoping for her story next and last.

Chadzok fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Dec 9, 2019