Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Teek posted:

That was a mess, and not really in a good or fun way... Random bland evil army mooks, stakes that feel lifeless. Cameos for the sake of cameos (the Earth X and Titans Appearances barely even feeling like actual tie-ins, more like reused footage).

Nice to see Wohl, even if the newspaper doesn’t really make any sense for that universe... though I always wished that Nicholson’s Joker came back somehow.

It felt overstuffed, I think the unfortunate need to stack the episode towards the Supergirl cast since it’s their episode also doesn’t really do any favors. Ultimately I think these types of mega events would work better without having to depend on their core shows baggage all the time. I’m assuming Oliver also comes back in some way, killing him off here also felt so perfunctory. Give me more of him going out, and not four minutes of bad Lena technobabble. Thanks.

Hopefully the Batwoman episode works better since it doesn’t look like they’ll have to lean so heavily on their storytelling.

Yeah I agree, this was weirdly bad and clunky. Even the fight choreography was garbage. I mean, Oliver not even dying on his own show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm not crying, you're crying!

That got me. Episode felt so dense and long in a good way. Its chaos but its been chaos that's been built and has purpose. Its a giant comic book crossover. It gave me everything I wanted. Except maybe an animated Earth or something.

Ray got his suit but not the budget to use it. Which is honestly perfect.

That can't be the end for Amell/Oliver. My guess is he'll be back in January by some timey dimensional magic wimey ness. But that was a shocker and powerful death and I think did a good job selling his value to the Arrowverse. But he has to be back to say goodbye to his family. Or be thrown in a time bubble to live out eternity with Felicity.

The Smith Aftermath show is dumb but it did have the line "the bat nipples are canon."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

evenworse username posted:

Well it's one way to make the long-foretold demise of Oliver Queen hit a bit hard.

Yeah, I honestly didn't think I'd jaw-drop for Oliver's death since it was forecast so much but pulling it early like that floored me. He just sounded so tired in the death scene.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Dec 9, 2019

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Did they get cameos for the Titans universe destruction or just the costumes? I didn't recognize the people but I didn't watch that show.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, with all that build up it was a powerful move to actually catch us off guard and get a stronger reaction.

Someone help me out. In the first montage of past fights there's a shot of someone shooting rays at someone and then another guy flying in. My best guess is that was Ray and Red Tornado from Earth X? I meant to rewatch that in preperation but never got around to it.

Also Thad Newcastle got on Crisis! And Titans Robin looks like a goober.

Also its genuinely funny how much this Aftermath show is just Talking Dead.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

The Smith Aftermath show is dumb but it did have the line "the bat nipples are canon."

It's dumb, but Smith is such an enthusiastically sincere dork that I can't help but love him for it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I don't hate the guy like some. He's a dork but so am I and as best as I know he's not been accused of being an abusive monster so more power to him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That was so much fun!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It was messy, and clunky in part. Fights with the Dementors looked hilariously bad and awesome at the same time. Like Kara and Kal fighting looked pretty neat, but Kate looked like they said just punch and kick and they'd put ghosts in later with CGI.

Ollie dying in the first episode is pretty interesting, setting up stakes, but we know there's crazy ollie out there to replace him.

And seriously, get over it Lena. Can't wait for Lex to try to kill you and Kara nearly dies doing it and you're still pissy about it.

The big moment, where everyone's there at the DEO for the first time was pretty good. Probably the most important scene and it worked.

Something I really liked is Batman 66 world was still just Batman 66.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I love that the first thing Kate does when they're all dropped off at the DEO is walk up to Lyla and clock her the loving face. It didn't do anything because she's Harbinger now, but it was pretty cathartic for all the bullshit she's put folks through this year.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Barry and Oliver lecturing him is my low key favorite part of every crossover

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I think my favorite bit (though there were a lot of good moments) was the heartfelt "I know the future, I'm gonna die" followed by Oliver getting pissed off.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
This was pretty good, but a let down this far. I say that not because there are issues with crisis, but I can’t stand the supergirl shoe

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/sterlinggates/status/1203752430766149634

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
It’s a small point, but I’m unduly thrilled Griffin Newman was in this, it was Arthur and nobody can tell me otherwise. The people demand Peter Serafinowicz!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Based on what my timelines seem to be into, the premise "Batwoman steps on someone" would instantly double the ratings.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I thoroughly enjoyed episode 1 although, yeah, it was messy in parts. But we live in a world where Earth-66 is a thing so I'm willing to forgive a LOT of little hiccups in the script.

Freaking CW Pittsburgh didn't play it until 11 pm last night thanks to the Steelers game, so I'm paying the price a bit this morning at work. Still worth it.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Throw me in the bandwagon of "yeah, that ain't how Oliver is really dying". Though it was great to see the Monitor freaking the gently caress out over it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What if Oliver is simply 10 steps ahead of the Monitor and actually faked his death

AND HE RIPS HIS MASK OFF AND IT'S DIAZ

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I haven't been keeping up with Supergirl, where's Jimmy Olson?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

8one6 posted:

He left to run the small paper in his home town.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
He's engaging in Mortal Kombat

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I was kind of hoping the Anti-Monitor, true to his name, was going to assemble an army of every single villain the collected heroes had ever fought for maximum cameo goodness, so army of CG dementors was pretty disappointing.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Phylodox posted:

I was kind of hoping the Anti-Monitor, true to his name, was going to assemble an army of every single villain the collected heroes had ever fought for maximum cameo goodness, so army of CG dementors was pretty disappointing.

In the comic that’s what he started with.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I wonder if that's why The Monitor took Lex, to prevent the Anit-Monitor from getting him?

Also I haven't looked, but i highly doubt the Anti-Monitor will look anything like this

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twistedmentat posted:

I wonder if that's why The Monitor took Lex, to prevent the Anit-Monitor from getting him?

Also I haven't looked, but i highly doubt the Anti-Monitor will look anything like this

He looks a lot like his appearance in the first half of the series.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Rhyno posted:

What if Oliver is simply 10 steps ahead of the Monitor and actually faked his death

AND HE RIPS HIS MASK OFF AND IT'S DIAZ

When Oliver was Barry last year he made a speed clone of himself. Checkmate Monitor

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Also I checked out of Supergirl two seasons ago and it seems like that was a good call...although I'm sure people will say the same thing about Arrow and Flash

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WhyteRyce posted:

When Oliver was Barry last year he made a speed clone of himself. Checkmate Monitor

Now I'm going to be so loving mad when this doesn't happen.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
“The Flash must die. But not this Flash. The Flash that is the speed clone of Oliver Queen from when he was the Flash last year. If you’ll just refer to this diagram that I’ve drawn up...”

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Including Tagumo in that montage of hero poo poo at the beginning of the episode was delightful.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I think my only big issue was that this largely felt like an episode of Supergirl with a bunch of guests.... which it technically was, but I could've sworn I read somewhere that the creators/writers were gonna try to focus on a more cohesive overall story instead of spending time watching Lena Luthor's teenage drama with Alex.

8one6 posted:

Well right now he's loving dust...

VVV: Fair.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 9, 2019

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

TwoPair posted:

Well right now he's loving dust...

He could have been 1 of the billion that escaped.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think they did a fine job pulling in the rest of the AV quickly enough. I'm sure each show will have some focus on it's own cast for a chunk of the episode. Tonight it looks like we get to the Supermen action!

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
This was a hot mess with tons of references and tonal disharmony, EXACTLY what I want from a TV version with double digit shows involved of a universe-changing comic crossover event.

My favorite moments so far are Kate clocking Harbinger in the face and Ollie calling for a time out with the Monitor. Ollie’s sacrifice was powerful, and I’m really excited about the rest of the crossover.

Btw, was it always cannon that batarangs are electronic gadgets? I’ve always thought they were just bat-shaped shurikens, but this version makes sense considering Batman is a billionaire with lots of advanced tech.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think historically they're basically like Oliver's arrows. They're just normal unless the plot needs a freeze ray batarang and then they can do that.

And yeah, I loved Oliver's "gently caress you, I just went through a whole season of accepting my fate so don't start screwing me on the deal, rear end in a top hat" reaction. And Kate reacting correctly to being abducted by a super powered being and brought to another Earth with a bunch of randos to fight some random thing no one ever bothered to tell you about.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

TwoPair posted:

I think my only big issue was that this largely felt like an episode of Supergirl with a bunch of guests.... which it technically was, but I could've sworn I read somewhere that the creators/writers were gonna try to focus on a more cohesive overall story instead of spending time watching Lena Luthor's teenage drama with Alex.

I think with the format they're going for where they want to feature as much of the cast as possible but obviously can't have EVERYONE packed into every single episode it makes sense to have a "core" group who is carried through the mini-series. And as long as you're doing that, might as well have it map roughly to which series you are on, and I thought they did well here to open with the destruction of Kara's earth and focus on her cast and what they're dealing with.

I think it will depend how they handle it in other series tho; like I wouldn't expect the focus right after the destruction of universe to be on Gotham/Batwoman stuff, but I guess we will find out in a few hours!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I liked the way they justified the Supergirl focused episode by having Earth 38 in the path of the wave first. It let them do some good stuff with Kara and Clark, Lois, Argo, etc, probably helped set up that spinoff, and allowed people like Nia and Kelly to show up for the crossover. Its gonna be a little more awkward to justify a stopover at Gotham before heading to Star Labs (and the Batwoman supporting cast will feel less earned to have a visit) but I thought they did a good job balancing last night so I'm optimistic for tonight. It wasn't that first crossover that was all awkwardly "Here's a Supergirl episode... oh yeah, crossover."

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

kjetting posted:

Btw, was it always cannon that batarangs are electronic gadgets? I’ve always thought they were just bat-shaped shurikens, but this version makes sense considering Batman is a billionaire with lots of advanced tech.

Is the batarang high tech, or did Ray add a light element enchantment to it that deals +1 damage to shadow beings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Batwoman supporting cast is owned nothing, they haven't been around long enough. It'll be a different story when they deal with Darkseid in a few years.