Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
I see the Blade 17 has an RTX 2080, but how does the laptop card compete with the desktop version? I worry about cooling, no point in having a 2080 if the thermals wont allow it to perform

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

the milk machine posted:

i'm starting to think about picking up a laptop for gaming rather than upgrade every single piece of my desktop...

what's good with a 1660/2060? how's the lenovo y740? something with less "gamer" design would be nice.

i'd mostly be sitting around the house playing, so no huge concerns about bad battery life. however, the 740 seems pretty porky.
My last gaming laptop was a lenovo yxx and it lasted me 4.5 years, great machine. Dunno about the current series though

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

bull3964 posted:

You are going to want it to be as small as possible.

i might consider things like bezel size and the impact on thermals or what they did to reduce the size like battery capacity.

theres plenty of reasons to want something smaller than 14 or 15.6 that the general 13.3 ultrabook footprint regardless of some differences would accommodate. weight being a factor as well

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

bull3964 posted:

He has a lot of valid points in the comparison, but I feel he dismisses the size difference between them a bit too easily. If you are looking at this class of device, that is one thing that you really are going to value. You are going to want it to be as small as possible.

There's zero practical size difference between those two laptops. The HP is 0.5 inches taller, 0.4 inches wider and 0.1 pound lighter.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Half an inch in two dimensions is pretty significant when you are at something this small already.

I look at it this way. The XPS 13 2:1 is pretty much the exact same footprint closed as a Surface Pro with type cover and that's notable, especially if you ever plan on using it in tablet mode.

I'm not saying the size should be the only thing considered for a device like this, but it's likely to be pretty high on the list.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Just for reference, I had done about as much research as I could between the XPS 13 2-in-1 and the revised Spectre, which was difficult since there weren't a lot of reviews/info on the revised Spectre. But one of the things that made me go with the XPS over the Spectre were comments from some that there were issues with power delivery on one of the TB3 ports, as well as issues with using a pen on it.

Between some of the issues I could find, as well as some QOL items (like a 16:10 screen on the XPS), it felt like the better choice. I'd have liked to have gone with the Spectre though if only to have gotten the 4G LTE option.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

the milk machine posted:

i'm starting to think about picking up a laptop for gaming rather than upgrade every single piece of my desktop...

what's good with a 1660/2060? how's the lenovo y740? something with less "gamer" design would be nice.

i'd mostly be sitting around the house playing, so no huge concerns about bad battery life. however, the 740 seems pretty porky.

Well it's a known trade-off for gaming laptops since they have to be larger and heavier due to thermal design challenges.

The Lenova y740 has gotten pretty positive overall.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Half an inch taller in exchange for an extra hour of battery life and an M.2 drive as opposed to soldered? Sold.

On the other hand, you have to deal with HP, and THAT is more likely to make me go with the Dell.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

I see the Blade 17 has an RTX 2080, but how does the laptop card compete with the desktop version? I worry about cooling, no point in having a 2080 if the thermals wont allow it to perform

The Blade 17 has a 2080 Max Q iirc. That's a 90w part, so no it does not compete with the desktop variant, or even the laptop variant.

For reference, the laptop variant of the full 2080 is a 150w part, or in the Alienware A51m a 200w part.

Some benchmarks show the 2080 Max Q performing only slightly better than a laptop 2070 (which in turn is worse than a desktop 2070), while in others it can command a 15 percent lead (which might put it around a desktop 2070).

On mobile so can't find numbers easily, but definitely look it up and do not expect a desktop experience.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Half an inch taller in exchange for an extra hour of battery life and an M.2 drive as opposed to soldered? Sold.

On the other hand, you have to deal with HP, and THAT is more likely to make me go with the Dell.

I mean, an extra hour of battery life meaning 11 instead of 10.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I'd pick the Dell if I had to, 16:10 is actually a big difference and at least closer to 3:2 aka god's own aspect ratio. Soldered SSD is a dealbreaker though.

I really don't care how nice HP hardware gets, I'm too traumatized by that company to ever buy anything from them again.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

So I think I asked this here before, if not, here we go:

My dell latitude from my last job is a pretty nice form factor and i like everything about it probably more than my xps13. They let me keep it but they obviously didnt clear the bios PW and any of that crap, which sadly makes it kind of useless to me. I'm not going to sell it and I'm not going to give it away, except to a few people in my inner circle I already tried to, none of which want/need a brand new laptop :ughh: so i have a really nice machine that i'd love to use but can't, and also can't give away or sell.

What would the process be here to get SOME use out of this in any fashion. I have zero use for it in my life as an extra device and I don't like hoarding anything but least of all electronics with batteries et cetera. Ideally? I spend $0 and remove bios lock so i can use it as i need to. But I'm willing to spend to replace the motherboard if thats what it would take, or whatever.

If not, well, its getting parted out and that would be a real drat shame.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Statutory Ape posted:

What would the process be here to get SOME use out of this in any fashion.

Monitor stand.

Serious answer: Strip it of the O/S entirely and make it 100% blank. Hell take the hard drive out entirely, you don't need it. Set everything you need up on a USB drive or something else fully external. Use the base unit (with no drive or O/S) as your travel laptop when going via places that are liable to compromise your IT security and put any secure files at risk.

How you get your USB stick with actual working files and such to your destination(s) I leave up to you. Might I suggest one of those ultra tiny Sandisk ones and slipping it into one of the card flaps in your wallet behind some sort of membership or loyalty card?

If it's a model with an optical drive then use a DVD-ROM instead and mail it to yourself at your destination prior to travel.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Let me emphasize the importance of literally zero. And I mean zero. Use as an extra device. If I can't sell my XPS 13 as a result of owning this I'm going to part it or dumpster it

The only place I travel where I'd care about IT security would be for work and I have separate equipment for current job.

Again, I tried to give this away for $0 already to 3 people

E: also I'm not James bond drat dude I work for an isp in accounts lol, mission accomplished on getting me to smile this morning though lol.

Worf fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Dec 7, 2019

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

bull3964 posted:

I mean, an extra hour of battery life meaning 11 instead of 10.

An extra hour of battery that scales as batteries wear out, which is a thing that they do.

But it's a moot point, because ugh, HP.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Just for another data point, my 2016 blade 14 is still running okay 3 years later. I recently had to repaste the CPU and gpu, as well as replace the battery. I got some serious battery bulging on the original lipo battery which is apparently pretty common with this model and a little annoying given I have much older laptops that never developed this issue.

Was about $80 on Amazon for a knock off battery and the replacement was pretty easy so it probably won't scare me away from the brand. My next laptop will probably be a stealth refresh unless someone makes something better in that form factor when I'm ready to buy.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Best Buy has a pretty good deal on open box Surface Pro 7s with the i7 (Iris Plus Graphics G7) and 16GB of RAM.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/micros...p?skuId=6375054

On sale for $1300. Open Box Excellent price of $1065. Told them I'd buy it for $999 and they agreed immediately. It's pretty sweet so far!

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

lol you can negotiate open box prices at best buy?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Rock My Socks! posted:

Yep! I've done it multiple times over the years. I don't try and wear them down but I'll just ask if they have some flexibility on the price since it's open box. They've never said no.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Razer blade laptops are unreliable since all the operators assembly mistakes were due to being whipped by their narcissistic CEO in the middle of the build.

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

I've been looking at getting a laptop for games myself. My old Thinkpad W520 has been a great workhorse, but I don't really need a mobile workstation anymore. I'll be traveling to stay with family a lot more in the coming years, so I'd like something that can play somewhat current games at somewhat decent settings. I'll almost never be using it away from a power outlet, so battery life isn't too important. I know I can't expect portability in a gaming laptop, but I would at least like something less than an inch thick. Even though I won't be using it in public very much, a subdued design is actually kind of important to me. I can't stand gamer bling LED poo poo. I can throw a skin on a stupid lid logo if I have to, but case designs like those hideous Acer Predator laptops are straight up disqualifying.

I admit I've been ogling the Razer Blade 15 2019 refresh. If it weren't for the logo on the lid and the reports of inconsistent reliability, it'd be perfect. I can turn off the lid LED or put a skin on it, so that's not a big deal, but the reliability issues are concerning.

What are the other go-to recommendations for gaming laptops for 2019?

mekyabetsu fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Dec 8, 2019

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I bought the quartz 2060 version and it run games good and is pretty - and unlike the higher tiers has room for a 2.5in drive. No HDD Caddy but just cannibalize from an old laptop and you're good.

I have to come to terms with the fact I'm paying $600 CAD more vs the y740 for less warranty, less screen brightness, no gsync and a 2060. But it makes up for it with build quality by a mile, I gotta say.

Battery reports are concerning but I have an extended credit card warranty and two years down the line I'll probably want a new laptop anyways. The battery life is also miles better then any other gaming laptop so it's nicer using the Razer as an actual laptop too.

It's flashy and a status symbol and has poorer specs... Yet I'm much happier and more impressed with my purchase vs the Lenovo. The build quality stands out. I didn't have to flatten and reinstall windows to play games on it either so that's nice too.

I think it's just for the first time I bought a premium laptop and it actually feels like a premium laptop in a way that Lenovos and Sagers and MSIs do not. And it's sooooooo pretty!

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

etalian posted:

Razer blade laptops are unreliable since all the operators assembly mistakes were due to being whipped by their narcissistic CEO in the middle of the build.

Rawrrr now I know what people mean when they talk about them Razer thermals

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

Whats the gestalt here on the Razer Blade laptops? They're obviously expensive, but hows performance/build quality?

Dave Lee (YouTuber) made a video where the 2019 Razer Blade 15 was his laptop of choice

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

I'm still not entirely sold on the Razer Blade 15, but where Dave Lee (YouTuber) goes, I go.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm pretty sure Dave2d only uses laptops like 2 months at a time

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

mekyabetsu posted:

I'm still not entirely sold on the Razer Blade 15, but where Dave Lee (YouTuber) goes, I go.

Thumbs if you liked it, subs if you loved it.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Do (YouTube)rs ever get to keep their laptops? I've never seen one do a giveaway of a whole laptop the way they do say graphics cards so I'm assuming no.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Do (YouTube)rs ever get to keep their laptops? I've never seen one do a giveaway of a whole laptop the way they do say graphics cards so I'm assuming no.

Laptops seem like the type of product they have to send back. I know traditional media reviewers get loaners for a week or so if they aren’t buying their own themselves.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Rock My Socks! posted:

Generally, open box pricing is at the descretion of the store manager. Corp sets the price but manager can override and go lower. Open box products are dead weight to a store and just take up clutter because they sell slowly and can’t be shipped back or to another store to fill inventory.

I get cheap open box tools at Lowe’s all the time.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Statutory Ape posted:

Rawrrr now I know what people mean when they talk about them Razer thermals

Thin and light plus powerful equals cooked to death.

I guess I'd consider looking at a Razer that ran on integrated graphics only using a low power CPU... but realistically I'd be buying a Thinkpad or other manufacturer equivalent business class ultrasbook if that's all I wanted.

Want a powerful gaming laptop that lasts? Gotta be THICC. The old first generation Alienware M14x I bought long, long ago ran quite cool inside and out. Thick as a Stephen King book though.

In my Pentium 4 days I cooked to death a CD-ROM drive lol

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Dec 9, 2019

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

DancingShade posted:

I guess I'd consider looking at a Razer that ran on integrated graphics only using a low power CPU... but realistically I'd be buying a Thinkpad or other manufacturer equivalent business class ultrasbook if that's all I wanted.

Want a powerful gaming laptop that lasts? Gotta be THICC. The old first generation Alienware M14x I bought long, long ago ran quite cool inside and out. Thick as a Stephen King book though.

This isn't really true these days, you won't be finding stuff as thin as an ultrabook with a decent GPU inside, but you can still find very reasonably sized laptops with powerful GPUs. For example my MECH-15 is under an inch thick(.86"), weighs 4.6 lb, and has a 90w 2070 inside along with a 45w 6c/12t CPU. It's not as portable as an ultrabook but it's about the same size as a business laptop from a few years back. The trick is to open it up and clean out dust and repaste the CPU/GPU every year or so, that keeps the thermals reasonable. Really this is true of any laptop, I recently opened up my mother's laptop, a Thinkpad t460, because the fans were turning on much more often than they used to, after dusting it out and repasting it runs like new.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

DancingShade posted:

im a massive stickler for things like build quality and overall usability and based on razer owners ITT i am going to at least consider them

My problem with razer is mainly that while they seem to be willing to be among the first to slap a dGPU into small poo poo lately- and i genuinely appreciate that on every possible level- i'd rather wait and see how, as you say- lenovo et al respond. Theres a subset of posters here, myself included, waiting on more options from more traditional (lol, basically enterprise((e2: basically dell/lenovo))) OEMs in that perfomance/size bracket. a 14 inch business machine within spitting distance of 3 lb and 1650/equiv is the dream machine that lets me consolidate quite a few devices

eames
May 9, 2009

Kotaku recently published a spicy article on the Razer CEO.

https://kotaku.com/razer-ceo-berated-and-threatened-his-staff-former-empl-1840240823

e: guess this is old news by now but eh

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Statutory Ape posted:

a 14 inch business machine within spitting distance of 3 lb and 1650/equiv is the dream machine that lets me consolidate quite a few devices

Hearing you on radio FM. When this happens that's all I'm going to buy and refresh every few years as needed.

It's also why I'm hoping AMD brings out better notebook CPUs because unlike Intel they at least put some effort into their integrated GPUs.

I was using a loaner laptop today at work for a few hours while my regular workstation was in IT dept sickbay. Really reminded me how far we've come since the old days of low-res bad viewing angles TN panels lol

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Dec 9, 2019

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I'll start caring about what CEOs to" buy from" as soon as all OEMs start giving a poo poo where they source precious metals et al

Until then I'm not going to bother lying to myself about any imaginary impact I'm making by supporting literally anybody else over...well anybody else

As somebody that's worked for a company with an exceptionally visible CEO that has a pristine public image...well, the reality is Don't Do Business if shady poo poo bothers you because lol at the poo poo I've seen

E: also re Intel/AMD GPU

I would say at this point I still think Intel will turn around mobile before AMD does. Intel has more to lose and has actually gone into gear instead of neutral

I'm all about more options and competition but amd has their own struggles to deal with in mobile

Worf fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Dec 9, 2019

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

DancingShade posted:

Hearing you on radio FM. When this happens that's all I'm going to buy and refresh every few years as needed.

It's also why I'm hoping AMD brings out better notebook CPUs because unlike Intel they at least put some effort into their integrated GPUs.

The G7 igpu variant in ice lake is as fast as any mobile igpu AMD makes, and rumors suggest they're pushing for similar improvement with tiger lake, so I'd say this is no longer true.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Statutory Ape posted:

Theres a subset of posters here, myself included, waiting on more options from more traditional (lol, basically enterprise((e2: basically dell/lenovo))) OEMs in that perfomance/size bracket. a 14 inch business machine within spitting distance of 3 lb and 1650/equiv is the dream machine that lets me consolidate quite a few devices

Does it have to be 14"? Because if it can slide up to a real trim 15", the X1E2 is pretty much exactly that: 3.5lbs business-class machine with a 1650 and solid thermals / performance for what it is.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

What's the difference between the ThinkPad T470 and the ThinkPad T470s? I'm browsing for a durable laptop for my wife who only wants it for word processing and streaming videos. Our last one was an Asus UX305 with poor speakers so she hopes the new one will last longer (more than 2 years).

I see Lenovo has the T470 at $499 and the T470s at $549. It looks like the T470 has a better processor and memory but worse graphics, correct? Since she doesn't really game, I'm thinking the T470 instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

DTaeKim posted:

What's the difference between the ThinkPad T470 and the ThinkPad T470s? I'm browsing for a durable laptop for my wife who only wants it for word processing and streaming videos. Our last one was an Asus UX305 with poor speakers so she hopes the new one will last longer (more than 2 years).

I see Lenovo has the T470 at $499 and the T470s at $549. It looks like the T470 has a better processor and memory but worse graphics, correct? Since she doesn't really game, I'm thinking the T470 instead.

http://www.notebookreview.com/feature/business-laptop-battle-lenovo-thinkpad-t470-vs-t470s/

TL;DR: T470s offers a few higher config options and has some parts made of magnesium allow which makes it 1/2 pound lighter and slightly smaller. However, you lose the option for a swappable battery on the T470s because it's integrated. Performance wise they are the same.