Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Rather than slog through the giant session of progress I lost earlier, I'm just gonna Cheat Engine myself some fully leveled soldiers and have mindless fun shooting arms off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

It's no Mario Rabbids Kingdom Battle, but it's pretty decent.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

DatonKallandor posted:

And I don't know what's so bad about it? It's certainly more interesting than nu-XCOM's "aliens are bad and also here's a mystery well keep hinting at and never actually resolving" and a million dropped plot points like it's loving LOST.

It really isn't.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Story is ok.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Just going off what's been posted here it's at best on par with Jake $olomon's vanilla nudashCOM, eg. ignorable background noise.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

that probably sounded a lot cooler in your head than it did in your post.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Eh yeah kinda ran right into Poe's law there.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I actually kinda like the story even if it is pretty background, largely because I think it's woven into the three factions quite nicely and how they react to the things you discover. I also like how the big bad's influence is responsible for its arrival being unwittingly predicted by various artists and stuff, even if that in itself is a common enough trope in the genre.

Last night I was at the end of a campaign waiting for the next phase and I ended up losing because nothing happened until Synedrion started doing their thing, which I couldn't help with, and I had no way to reduce the rapidly rocketing ODI from rising because I couldn't find any nests or lairs to take out. So I lost. :v:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Just had a Siren walk around a corner through overwatches(wouldn't have stopped it even if they were triggered) and mind control two of my team members on the first round.

:xcom:

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
this is a very frustrating game, because i want to like it so much. i'm just hitting the point where Chirons and Sirens are showing up a ton and holy poo poo is a lot of the challenge so far in the tactical map just "have enough damage to kill/disable these two targets on sight or prepare for a slog".

i've probably lost more units to my own soldier's Return Fire than i have the aliens so far, and not even just when the Sirens mindcontrol a shotgunner. had a guy take an autoshot at a Chiron with the cannon and ended up splatting his buddy who was slightly in the way (admittedly this was more funny that anything).

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

One thing I really liked about xenonauts was after you downed a UFO you could just bomb it into oblivion and get paid for that instead of doing a mission where you weren't going to pick up anything of value.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

The game is fun, in a mediocre sort of way. It mainly just makes me wish that Firaxis were about to release XCOM 3.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I saw spoiler chat about how the pandoravirus is implied to be a literary agent reference/allusion to the cthulhu mythos and it's so on the nose that it swerves straight into unspiration territory. I know there's a lot of fans of that property but I'm not one of them, and it feels like kind of a cheap pull.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Xarbala posted:

I saw spoiler chat about how the pandoravirus is implied to be a literary agent reference/allusion to the cthulhu mythos and it's so on the nose that it swerves straight into unspiration territory. I know there's a lot of fans of that property but I'm not one of them, and it feels like kind of a cheap pull.

One of their preview lore stories they released was pretty much 1:1 At The Mountains of Madness. It was embarrassing.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The more I play, the more frustrated I am and the less I'm having a good time.

- It's hard to get attached to my characters, because the customization options are so limited. Everyone pretty much looks like everyone, and it sucks. The game's also lacking their version of XCOM's personalities as far as the geoscape/base mechanics go. It feels too clinical, too dead, too impersonal.

- The weird side grade upgrade stuff is a massive chore. OK so now instead of 5 guns that do average damage to everything, I have 15 guns that each do awful damage to everything else but ONE SPECIFIC THING? That's not good!

- The lack of armor upgrades also sucks. The enemies start to get really loving deadly after the first few hours, which of course is part of the XCOM charm, but I think Phoenix Point (combined with the no armor upgrades thing) kinda goes too far. Enemies just loving dumping a billion damage into you for every one of your shots as you try to whittle them down with your peashooters sucks.

- Some stuff just feels buggy or off. My guy is standing behind a rock. The game says I have a line of sight to the huge crab monster standing 10 feet away. I take the shot (not with manual aiming either), and whoops my guy just fires into the rock. Try again, whoops, into the rock again! I've also had numerous situations where I put multiple people on overwatch in the same area, and I guess the enemy moves through everyone else's overwatch cone during the first attack animation, because nobody else fires a shot. And whoops, suddenly your heavy weapon guy is mind controlled or loving dead from 160 poison damage a turn.

- I don't care much for the game's Geoscape. It doesn't convey the feeling of "we're a rag tag bunch of desperate survivors looking for the few glimmering shards of hope left in a doomed world". It just feels like busywork, where I have to keep my planes just flying around constantly just so I can keep the plates spinning, just so I can keep doing more busywork. Less would've been more here. Less outposts, less points of interest, but with bigger impact events.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I realized that I was having more fun ditching legit play and just using Cheat Engine to be a dick and blow limbs off aliens with overpowered weapons, so I closed this game and played Earth Defense Force 5 instead.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Had a look at some LPs, the game doesn't look very good. Apparently, the best way to play tactical is to have half your team as heavy/sniper combos in sniper gear that can rage burst down enemies from across the map with super-accurate heavy weapon fire that mostly ignores any obstacles in the way, and the other half to be assault/berserker combos that are extremely resilient, mobile and immune to mind control to serve as spotters. The best way to play strategic is to quickly get enough rep with all the other factions to reveal their havens, and then steal every Synedrion aircraft you can take without making them hostile. Lategame seems to be an unfun slog.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat
Just watched a youtube vid where they recommended the player swap away from their primary weapon on every soldier at the end of every turn so that enemy fire can't disable the weapon. I had flashbacks to old UFO Defense, removing the magazine from every weapon in the last turns of a mission to prevent the game from wiping them out of inventory after the mission. So much tedium...

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The tech tree stuff I fid particularly annoying because in every xcom game the tech tree has been a pillar of telling the story of the game.

They all follow the same pattern: XCOM starts the game severely outgunned. You crash research some existing Human theory to produce some weapons that let you compete with the aliens. You reverse engineer alien tech at achieve parity with them. Finally, you develop some high end capabilities that surpass what the aliens have access to.

The tech tree isnt just vertical progression, it matches the broader story you are telling yourself of surviving, adapting, and overcoming. A horizontal tech tree throws that away.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
It's a different story. You start outgunned, the enemy isn't using technology in the sense that you can reverse engineer, but the 3 different factions that have more bases and a lot more resources than you do are doing the researching of technology on their own, they just all have a different idea of what will work. You decide which one you ultimately go for, while also digging in the past to maybe find a solution of your own.

It isn't just horizontal either, because the new tech the factions develop is absolutely better than what they start with. I do agree that some sort of end-game pure phoenix project or phoenix project/faction hybrid tech would be nice, but there's clearly a lot of missing content (just look at the announced DLCs and what they showed in pre-release stuff) so that might well be on the way.

As for swapping guns to protect them from being destroyed by fire...sure you can do that I guess. It does stop you from doing return fire properly, but most importantly it's tedious and 100% not necessary. And if you're having problems with mind control.....maybe you shouldn't have burned all your willpower on dashes?

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Dec 9, 2019

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
"This move is obviously optimal but it's also really tedious so you probably won't do it all the time" is not a good way to balance a game.

Goodchild
Jan 3, 2010
Lucky for us then, it's not balanced that way. I've played a lot and never had a weapon shot out of my hands.

The aliens are far too good of a shot to miss repeatedly doming my head to hit my weapon. :clint:

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
there's just too much stuff that gives both you and the enemy essentially way too much action utility, it's inconsistent, too. i also just ditched a haven defense mission because the first round they killed 6-7 civvies and would send my dudes into a panic immediately because i guess i really just care about those civvies. there was probably 12 pandorans in that mission and 9 of them were heavy MG ones with the last 3 being fishboys. not fun. no armor upgrades also suck hard

i think there's good potential here but it's sort of messy and unbalanced. like for one huge thing is they just stack armor on the enemies at a rate that exceeds your average ability to deal with it, and going in with explosives all the time is just gonna deplete your materials too fast

Sloober fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Dec 9, 2019

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
In XCOM you don't want any enemy to be left alive at the end of your turn. It's the same thing here. If there's any alien not dead or disabled, you've already hosed up. Except now there's some small chance they'd hit your gun instead of blowing your head off. In fact I can't even recall having my gun destroyed in the release version. It was a thing in the last backer's build but it seems weapon durability has been tuned up. Disabled arm is a way bigger problem which I've only seen a handful of time, usually caused by explosives because for whatever reason the enemy seems more keen on aiming for the head.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Dec 9, 2019

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Ersatz posted:

The game is fun, in a mediocre sort of way. It mainly just makes me wish that Firaxis were about to release XCOM 3.

It took 4 years for xcom 2 to release after the first so hopefully we hear something in 2020.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 9, 2019

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

pedro0930 posted:

In XCOM you don't want any enemy to be left alive at the end of your turn. It's the same thing here. If there's any alien not dead or disabled, you've already hosed up. Except now there's some small chance they'd hit your gun instead of blowing your head off. In fact I can't even recall having my gun destroyed in the release version. It was a thing in the last backer's build but it seems weapon durability has been tuned up. Disabled arm is a way bigger problem which I've only seen a handful of time, usually caused by explosives because for whatever reason the enemy seems more keen on aiming for the head.

i've lost guns to explosives and once to an enemy sniper missing their shot

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
game's pretty fun

the disciples are very cool and i like synedrion too. gently caress new jericho though, gonna help the other two wipe the dumb fash off the face of earth

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Heads up, apparently the hotfix released today also wipes your save data.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

RottenK posted:

game's pretty fun

the disciples are very cool and i like synedrion too. gently caress new jericho though, gonna help the other two wipe the dumb fash off the face of earth

lol same, I love loving their poo poo up because they're obviously the worst faction but they also have pretty sick gear so it's win/win

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The heads hit problem seems to be a combination of accurate enough weapons that are aiming for your upper torso/head. because thats whats visible when you are in cover.

Might not be a problem if they made head armor real strong.

I think it would be more interesting if you could develop gear that was designed to function in the combat system. Like a fuckoff huge left shoulder plate that would protect you (and your precious head) in the direction you are facing, or an AR with a gunshield so that if you got return fired it would help protect you. Or like skills that did similar things, like a duelist stance for pistol users where they would present minimum profile.

The armored crabmen are annoying but they always seem to have lightly armored or totally unarmored parts.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 9, 2019

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

The armored crabmen are annoying but they always seem to have lightly armored or totally unarmored parts.

Enjoy that while it last.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Man I ran into a siren in the middle of a firefight and got my whole poo poo split by mind control. Is there any kind of item you get that can protect against that, or is it just mandatory to give my folks high will?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

dyzzy posted:

The hottest of fixes.

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
The enemy scaling is very strange considering you don't really upgrade armor. I'm fairly early into the game (I think? 9% doom counter) and just had two missions in a row that were absurdly hard. One because it had 3 of the quadleg spider tanks just bombarding me from across the map. And another one because I get rushed by 6 crabmen with the heavy machine guns 3 of the mist spawning guys and the crabs take out half my squad when its the first alien turn. The crab men mission is much more irritating than the tank one because no matter what I do on my turn I'm going to take losses because its impossible for me to kill enough of the crabs because I can't get line of sight on them on my turn. And if they are lucky one burst can kill a medium armor guy.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Looks like they corrected it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PhoenixPoint/comments/e8bk6h/phoenix_point_hotfix_patch_v1054580/

I was hoping they'd be more forthcoming with gameplay changes they're working on but they're pretty tight-lipped.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

dyzzy posted:

Looks like they corrected it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PhoenixPoint/comments/e8bk6h/phoenix_point_hotfix_patch_v1054580/

I was hoping they'd be more forthcoming with gameplay changes they're working on but they're pretty tight-lipped.

Ugh, that's so stupid. They must realize that the game is in a precarious position right now, with the initial reaction for a fairly niche title being tepid at best. Don't loving sit around with your hands in your pockets hoping it'll all turn around (before everyone's already lost attention), be vocal about what you're fixing, how and when.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

dyzzy posted:

Bold of them to admit that playing another game is a better use of your time in such a prominent way.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Pharmaskittle posted:

Man I ran into a siren in the middle of a firefight and got my whole poo poo split by mind control. Is there any kind of item you get that can protect against that, or is it just mandatory to give my folks high will?

Berserker's at level 6 or so get immunity, but that is about it. Best you can do is hope you see the Siren far enough away that they don't MC you or pray the one that gets MC'd isn't your heavy hitter with rage burst available.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
the best part is getting a siren on mission two of the entire game where you still have 5x L1 guys and base starting gear, and the only part you can even damage with the starting assault rifles is the arms, so you are stuck waiting for your heavy to land a helcannon shot and sniper damage while this unit just wanders around MCing guys (yes i threw all my grenades at it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Sloober posted:

the best part is getting a siren on mission two of the entire game where you still have 5x L1 guys and base starting gear, and the only part you can even damage with the starting assault rifles is the arms, so you are stuck waiting for your heavy to land a helcannon shot and sniper damage while this unit just wanders around MCing guys (yes i threw all my grenades at it)

Yeah, fighting a NJ heavy before I had a good way to damage him was at least a lot of fun because everybody else had to play hide and seek with it while throwing grenades while the sniper tried to whittle him down. It's possible to be completely outclassed and still have fun but uh, the siren is not that