Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

forkboy84 posted:

Let's be clear, this has been the end game of the Tories since 2010 with the appointment of people like James Harding, former editor of Murdoch paper to a key position in the News department. The end result was also to get it to a point where the left won't even fight for it and they've done a terrific job.

Yeah, I've certainly lost a lot of respect for the concept of public service broadcasting lately. Too much sitting around huffing their own centrist farts and negotiating 'access' to the great leader, not enough actual investigative journalism.

There was actually a great point someone made the other week, but I can't quite remember where. For so long journalists have been coasting on networks and connections to the neo-lib sphere, and just completely failing to engage with modern Labour. So what the hell are they going to do if Labour do gain power and they don't have any cosy 'sources' to quote? Even if we don't win they have to understand the modern left aren't going away, you can't coast on 1990s connections much longer.

Today's TV licence thing is just another dead cat in the grand scheme of things though. Nothing the media likes talking about more than themselves.

At least the BBC apparently got bollocked out of cancelling tonight's universal credit panorama.

https://twitter.com/TheProleStar/status/1204014028638609409

E: I can't be arsed to look anything up, so the C-130 hercules is a four engine turbo-prop plane used for logistics, aerial refuelling and that one gunship in the CoD games. I got to fly in one once.

RockyB fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
hopefully that's someone finding a spine and telling the tories they can have that or a Neil interview on the air

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Doccykins posted:

hopefully that's someone finding a spine and telling the tories they can have that or a Neil interview on the air

The idea that they should be offered a choice is repulsive

Tindalos
May 1, 2008

Azza Bamboo posted:

This one seems to have taken off in the other thread.

Catching up on the thread, and although this was a while back I wanted to say this is great!

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1204052533074972672

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

bessantj posted:

I was glad that John talked about how Labour are pro entrepreneurs, but he should have laughed out loud when that guy said he wouldn't have started his business if Labour had been in power.

If it weren't for the fact that I would completely doxx myself I would share with you the two vids two former-tory local businessmen did in support of our labour candidate (tory seat).

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Waiting for the Jam Man at Forest Green Rovers in Stroud. Free coffee very appreciated, thanks Dale Vince.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
lol

quote:

Analysis: Johnson talks BBC funding
Amol Rajan
BBC Media editor

It is customary for election campaigns to strain relations between the BBC and whoever happens to be in government.

But the advent of social media - where criticism of the BBC frequently goes viral - and the rise of streaming giants who operate a different model, have increased pressure on the BBC recently.

So too has the prime minister's refusal to be interviewed by Andrew Neil for the BBC. Last week, Neil, who has interviewed all the other party leaders, issued a challenge to Mr Johnson and showed an empty chair. That clip has been viewed several million times on social media. Number 10 didn’t appreciate that much and doubled down on its position.

Lured by the internet, many younger viewers now spend much more time on Netflix or YouTube than watching BBC services. That does pose a significant, perhaps existential, challenge to the BBC in the long term.

The BBC has always argued, however, that the licence fee is vital to its public service model and that if it moved to a subscription model it would necessarily be driven only by those who could afford a subscription, and not the whole country.

Sooner or later, a decision needs to be made about how best the BBC can compete and satisfy the British public in today’s global media. It’s probably best that that discussion takes place when there isn’t an election on.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

sebzilla posted:

Waiting for the Jam Man at Forest Green Rovers in Stroud. Free coffee very appreciated, thanks Dale Vince.

Niice. And he's one of the only named donors to the Labour Party in the era of Corbyn so if you see him do give him a pat on the back from me.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

He did say he didn't believe it but he didn't put anything forward as to why it was a stupid answer. Which it is, but only if you're already that way inclined. It needs spelling out for a lot of people.

I do wish he had said something like "So you wouldn't start your business because you'd be a fraction less obscenely wealthy than you are now?" but as someone else said it is heavily edited.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

If it weren't for the fact that I would completely doxx myself I would share with you the two vids two former-tory local businessmen did in support of our labour candidate (tory seat).

Oh, give us a summary!

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Tesseraction posted:

Niice. And he's one of the only named donors to the Labour Party in the era of Corbyn so if you see him do give him a pat on the back from me.

He's a good (vegan) egg (replacement). Got into trouble with the fuzz for hanging big banners saying "for a green government, vote Labour" outside the ecotricity offices in the middle of town. Still not taken them down.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

the bbc are def the sheep in this cartoon

"He tells it like it is!"

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Wait, how is a subscription model different to a licence fee, other than the fact that some are exempt from paying (which could easily be done for a subscription too)?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

The problem with the BBC during this election is that it’s political department is acting like a state broadcaster not a public broadcaster (ie paid for by the state or paid by us for us)

Explains why brexit brexit brexit has been in the news all year rather than the stuff the government doesn’t really want to talk about

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

oh look it's really easy to address the photo https://twitter.com/ITVNewsPolitics/status/1204059532592402432

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

stev posted:

Wait, how is a subscription model different to a licence fee, other than the fact that some are exempt from paying (which could easily be done for a subscription too)?

The idea is everyone has to pay the license fee, in theory.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

I mean the spread of polling is one thing, but there's no possible explanation for the massive spread in *movement* - how can one poll show +2 for the Tories and another +1 for Labour over the same period?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

bessantj posted:

I do wish he had said something like "So you wouldn't start your business because you'd be a fraction less obscenely wealthy than you are now?" but as someone else said it is heavily edited.

Oh, give us a summary!

OK I'll try and do that later but I need my nanna nap now.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I mean the spread of polling is one thing, but there's no possible explanation for the massive spread in *movement* - how can one poll show +2 for the Tories and another +1 for Labour over the same period?

LDs and other 3rd parties down.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Wildly different sampling/weighting methods trying to correct for the problems with the 2017 vote, perhaps.

Chuff McNothing
Sep 9, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

goddamnedtwisto posted:

it's far more important who the polling is for than who it is by.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

otoh take Graun's poll tracker:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Wildly different sampling/weighting methods trying to correct for the problems with the 2017 vote, perhaps.

Right that can explain the spread of values but not the spread of movement, unless they're tweaking their turnout weighting as they go too which is pretty loving dodgy.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Labour on the up, Tories flatlining, Squirrel Hitler copying Farage's plane in 2010

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Not half as well as farage himself is.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Not half as well as farage himself is.

Yeah but the BXP tanking after the Betrayal isn't surprising.

Tom Watson proving he's more reliable than the cunts who jumped ship

quote:

This is a pathetic attempt by Boris Johnson to distract from his refusal to even look at the picture of a four-year-old boy forced to sleep on a hospital floor.

We already know that Boris Johnson is a danger to our NHS.

His comments today reveal that he will threaten the very existence of another of Britain’s great institutions, the BBC, by scrapping its funding mechanism.

This is on top of the cruel decision to strip over-75s of their free TV licences.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Right that can explain the spread of values but not the spread of movement, unless they're tweaking their turnout weighting as they go too which is pretty loving dodgy.

If company A and company B was seeing the same breakdown of support for parties across demographics, but A was going with fixed values for expected turnout while B was weighting on, I don't know, expressed likelihood to vote, and that was showing increasing likelihood to vote among more pro-labour groups, then B would show a strong movement to Labour that just wouldn't appear in A's numbers.

I don't know if that's actually what's going on here but depending on what information channels you weight more heavily it doesn't seem completely unreasonable?

Meanwhile:

https://twitter.com/imbadatlife/status/1203965173947666432

:getin:

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/billiepiper/status/1204037624199036928
:getin:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/Tesseraction/status/1204067673631535104

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
Are we approving of her in terms of surprisingly not driven insane 1990s singer, or weird messianic Dr. Who assistant here?

https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson_MP/status/1204063656952172544

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Never mind that, how can polling show the conservatives leading in London when they were 20 pts behind a little while ago?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/demarionunn/status/1204047741732769792?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gove spawned and they're all on the electoral register.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Tomorrows Sun cover: Corbyn brands poor child a disgrace; invades Poland.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Me right now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_3oU-Z4Vxo

although I'm not sure about that tactical voting poo poo, Lib Dems are tories after all.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ratjaculation posted:

Tomorrows Sun cover: Corbyn brands poor child a disgrace; invades Poland.

https://twitter.com/pukka1972/status/1204060934106484738

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Got a leaflet from my Corbyn hating Labour MP saying "You are my boss. Nobody else." lol, subtle.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

This guy really hates visitors huh

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Tactical voting is using one of these:

to vote Labour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

'vote labour' would help but hey