Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Bust Rodd posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/magic

Grand Finale is Kannister on Jund Food vs. Brad nelson on Simic Flash, BVrad has to win 2 Bo3 matches to win. They are playing for the last seat at Worlds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

too bad we have to wait until the finals before the commentary became decent

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

little munchkin posted:

magic players: how dare you speak lightly of this tragedy?

also magic players: if you play countermagic, sweepers, discard, etc. against me, your deck is cancer and you should kill yoursel

“What a tragedy, there’s no possible way we could’ve reduced or prevented it! Welp, back to shipping coal to China, what’s the Barrier Reef? gently caress it, just a bunch of rocks.”

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
https://twitter.com/tylerjjobrien/status/1203742154184626177?s=20

average mtgo player

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

fadam posted:

What’s the joke CFB made that people are offended/pretending to be offended about?

Edit: hmmm.... https://i.redd.it/16nv5lp8de341.jpg?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Inb4 they make an oven joke about cat combo.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

"Emotions are not positive EV" says the guy who's super grumpy and tilted

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Fish Of Doom posted:

"Emotions are not positive EV" says the guy who's super grumpy and tilted

Well, clearly he's right :hurr:.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
I’ve played him before and he basically just berates you once you’ve won. Usual “I’m amazing at magic, have a ton of GP top 8’s, and I’ve played so much on the pro tour. Also, I’m rich. Your deck sucks, you suck at magic, and you’re poor” routine

Classic MTGO salt off account. gently caress that guy

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

every mtg player thinks all of their wins are skill and all of their losses are luck

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Seen that dude's name on a few 5-0 dumps. I guess he's a doo-doo head, oh well.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
salty magic players doing the "let me tell you why your win is illegitimate" routine never gets old

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

rabidsquid posted:

every mtg player thinks all of their wins are skill and all of their losses are luck

All my losses ARE luck and most of my wins are too!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

rabidsquid posted:

This is by design, mark rosewater has talked about this and how important it is to have an out when you lose that isn't just "I'm bad and I will never get better"

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

All my losses ARE luck and most of my wins are too!

if you ain't building your decks and playing your matches to try to line up good runs of luck you're not doing powerful enough stuff for current-era MTG in any format

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
good players make their own luck

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

dragon enthusiast posted:

6 copies of Boros Charm in my burn deck.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

dragon enthusiast posted:

:siren::siren::siren: Mana weaver spotted :siren::siren::siren:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

You:

Hellsau posted:

if you ain't building your decks and playing your matches to try to line up good runs of luck you're not doing powerful enough stuff for current-era MTG in any format

Me:
1 mana 0/1, go

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

You:

Me:
1 mana 0/1, go

poor signal pest, thought of urza and battlecried

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Here I thought it was Abu Ja'far

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Hellsau posted:

poor signal pest, thought of urza and battlecried

Ha, I'm not so dumb that I'm playing Signal Pest!

I'm so dumb that I'm playing Noble Hierarch!

Also my god I played against the 7 color Urza Oko Karn Cryptic Command trash pile for the first time Friday night. Why is any of this legal? Legitimately, how does anything in the format beat that deck when it even has an ok draw? I came close but he drew much better than me. He drew half as many lands as me despite seeing even more cards, and I drew 0 of my 10 sideboard cards, and then the same thing happened again in game 3. And he didn't have a particularly insane draw. Game 2 was basically just lost turn 2 Oko while I flooded and him constantly drawing the perfect card game 3 (because he was drawing 4 cards a turn) then Mind's Desiring into what had to be his last piece of removal in a deck that had to be 75% lands.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

i play 4 copies of Gamble with no graveyard interaction, embrace chaos

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

urza being legal in modern still is as strange as paradoxical outcome being unrestricted in vintage or pauper getting foil downshifted when blue was already by far the best color

someone at wizards heard the old adage "blue is the best color in eternal formats" and thought that was something that should be maintained

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Dec 9, 2019

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

This is by design, mark rosewater has talked about this and how important it is to have an out when you lose that isn't just "I'm bad and I will never get better"

I had a guy get extreeeemely salty that I managed a draw against his ephermate deck.

Best part was zealous persecuting then kaya's guile as a two stage board wipe and graveyard exile that removed 5 x/1s and an x/2. He was not happy at all, and there was an earful of "drew his whole side"/"who plays those cards" etc for everyone around the table.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ilmucche posted:

I had a guy get extreeeemely salty that I managed a draw against his ephermate deck.

Best part was zealous persecuting then kaya's guile as a two stage board wipe and graveyard exile that removed 5 x/1s and an x/2. He was not happy at all, and there was an earful of "drew his whole side"/"who plays those cards" etc for everyone around the table.

I don't know what any of those cards are

I haven't played anything but edh in six yearsand I havent followed standard in five

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I don't know what any of those cards are

shut up dickeye

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lone Goat posted:

shut up dickeye

I'm not trying to be a jerk! I genuinely don't know what those cards are to know what's going on in that because I didn't work at the store with events for a few years so I stopped knowing what was going on

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I'm not trying to be a jerk! I genuinely don't know what those cards are to know what's going on in that because I didn't work at the store with events for a few years so I stopped knowing what was going on

there's numerous resources available online that can tell you what cards are, i recommend https://www.scryfall.com

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Eh it's less about the specific cards and more about a guy getting salty his opponent made good draws with what are apparently rogue cards in a tier 3ish deck. The multiple rest in peaces didn't hurt either :v:

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

To paraphrase the best movie of all time, half of every MTG game is luck, and the other half is fate.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Just stop being in denial. I'm fully aware that all my wins are luck, and all my losses are because I suck rear end.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Yeah. You see something similar with multiplayer games where you have the out of blaming your teammates.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018
Complaining about being unlucky is silly. Variance is what you sign up for when playing card games.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

As someone who had to play chess as a five year old against my father, the strongest player in the city, I am a keen supporter of the concept of variance in games

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yeah. You see something similar with multiplayer games where you have the out of blaming your teammates.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lone Goat posted:

there's numerous resources available online that can tell you what cards are, i recommend https://www.scryfall.com

Lonegoat this is supposed to be when we trade stories about people being salty after games not when you get salty yourself

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

wisdom.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I just spent 47 united states dollars for seven slips of cardboard functionally identical in gameplay to seven slips of cardboard already in her commander deck that have a secondary market value of roughly 2 dollars, because my daughter likes the pictures on them.

conspicuous_consumption.dec

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Owlbear Camus posted:

I just spent 47 united states dollars for seven slips of cardboard functionally identical in gameplay to seven slips of cardboard already in her commander deck that have a secondary market value of roughly 2 dollars, because my daughter likes the pictures on them.

conspicuous_consumption.dec

They're pretty cute cats, though.