Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
It’s amazing how your posts are in form and function the same idiot questions literal 10 year olds used to ask me none stop as a Staffer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

SteelMentor posted:

It’s amazing how your posts are in form and function the same idiot questions literal 10 year olds used to ask me none stop as a Staffer.

Is warhammer fantasy and 40k in the same universe?

Who is going to win in the end?

Can I eat my lunch here?

Could you tell him to stop cheating?

Do you know when my mum is picking me up?

Are you on commission?

When are plastic sisters coming?

What happened to squats?

Will the models be cheaper when they are plastic?

Foul Ole Ron fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Dec 8, 2019

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

If somebody wants a not joke answer: The Hive Mind is coordinating a galaxy wide invasion from all fronts and the chaos gods themselves call it Anathema. Until Baal they've been trying to avoid drawing the hive fleets ire because theres absolutely no gain for them, the few times they had direct conflict. It just grinds them down until it wins, diverting resources from other sectors, and is genuinely painful to be deep in the shadow of for demons, lesser demons cant even manifest in its presence and banish back to the warp.

I thought the Anathema was what they called the Emperor.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Deptfordx posted:

I thought the Anathema was what they called the Emperor.

It is.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

goose willis posted:

Funniest loving question: if the Tyranids were starting to actually fully win, would the Imperium and Chaos join forces lmao

goose for all our sakes, please: shut the gently caress up

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

goose willis posted:

Funniest loving question: if the Tyranids were starting to actually fully win, would the Imperium and Chaos join forces lmao

Why do you keep doing this?

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, it's the Emperor's fault the nids are invading the milky way in the first place, according to the Horus Heresy books

They were first attracted to the Milky Way when the Ultramarines deliberately overloaded a pre-human FTL transport/communications device called the Pharos they were defending from the Night Lords. The Pharos could function as a beacon in the warp, like the Astronomicon on Terra, and its death scream was a blinding, strobing pulse in the immaterium. It was so bright, in fact, that it attracted the attention of the Hive Mind at least a galaxy away. It took the hive fleets ten thousand years to reach the source of the pulse, but they're here

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I think im conflating the two, they had a special name for it with the same ring but now I cant find it. Cant remember if it came from a codex or devastation of baal or heck, even Valedor or that fehervari genestealer book.

It's one of those one line lore facts I stuffed in my head because it sounded cool.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 8, 2019

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

goose willis posted:

Stop making GBS threads up the thread.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

goose willis posted:

now that you've asked the funniest 'what if' question, can you stop now?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Kitchner posted:

The problem is general consensus is that crisis suits are Bad

I don't play T'''''''au, but didn't suits just get a significant points cut in CA?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

https://imgur.com/gallery/GRFfFiP

More pictures from our crazy Apoc game

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Crisis Suits started this edition at 45 points base, and are currently down to 24 points base. Fusion Blasters have also dropped from 18 to 14.

The problem with Crisis Suits is that their weapons cost the same as on a Commander, which has a 2+ save, double the wounds, and the Character rule up keep them safe. They're also limited very strictly to weapons with an 18" range which makes them pretty solidly incompatible with a castle.

I love them but it's not because they're efficient or good

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

https://imgur.com/gallery/GRFfFiP

More pictures from our crazy Apoc game

Pretty sure I know who you are from your last post, we've chatted a few times at the Dojo :v:. This looks awesome / extremely tiring and I hope to one day come out to either watch or participate. Or at least come out and play a few games on Wednesdays / Saturdays, I've been way too busy but now that winter is settling in I should have some free time.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Fake James posted:

Pretty sure I know who you are from your last post, we've chatted a few times at the Dojo :v:. This looks awesome / extremely tiring and I hope to one day come out to either watch or participate. Or at least come out and play a few games on Wednesdays / Saturdays, I've been way too busy but now that winter is settling in I should have some free time.

As the only Necron player at the dojo I'd be pretty surprised if you hadn't figured it out :v:.

I'm usually around if you're looking for games.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Did that use 40K or Apoc rules?

EDIT: I see, custom rules for 40K. Looks like a lot of fun.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 8, 2019

Shadowed Bacon
Apr 28, 2009

the_seventh_cohort posted:

Thanks for the help with the dreadnoughts everyone. Here's a WIP of the first one.

great job! What are the colors used?

adamantium|wang posted:

I don't play T'''''''au, but didn't suits just get a significant points cut in CA?

Yes, whether or not they are good now is still up in the air as far as I know.

Just a couple FYI's: Today is the last day for the sale on IMPCAT, $1 for a painting app that you can download custom paint and models (Artel W and Vallejo built in). Also maxmini is closing shop at the end of the year, get your cyborg bits and cog axes.

nite_moogle
Jul 10, 2008
See you nerds at the Adepticon 40k friendly!

the_seventh_cohort
May 4, 2013

Shadowed Bacon posted:

great job! What are the colors used?

Yes, whether or not they are good now is still up in the air as far as I know.

Just a couple FYI's: Today is the last day for the sale on IMPCAT, $1 for a painting app that you can download custom paint and models (Artel W and Vallejo built in). Also maxmini is closing shop at the end of the year, get your cyborg bits and cog axes.

Thanks! I'm mostly using Army Painter paints, but I'm planning on supplementing with GW paints as I start highlighting stuff.

Purple: Alien Purple
Bone: Skeleton Bone
Silver: Plate Metal Steel
Gold: Greedy Gold
Bronze: 1:1 mix of Greedy Gold and Shining Silver
Tubes and Lenses: Citadel Altdorf Guard Blue

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Fake James posted:

I thought that basement looked familiar. I'm out SW burbs and dont make it to dojo often. Rad looking game.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Tldr: Tau can be A-tier but they have some of the most unpleasant mechanics in the game. The deadly trifecta of boring, frustrating, and time-consuming. It sucks for you and your opponent.

Also new space marines are S-tier.

So the game apparently still suffers from codex creep, where the armies with the newest codex is always the most powerful?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
They have put out plenty of not-powerful codices.

It isn't linear codex creep.

Imo, they will try to make each subsequent codex as good as SM not better.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
So if I don't want to play as space marines and not play at a significant handicap I should wait for further codexes to come out before playing?

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Khisanth Magus posted:

So if I don't want to play as space marines and not play at a significant handicap I should wait for further codexes to come out before playing?

I wouldn’t be surprised if space marines are still one of the very best factions by the time the edition ends and GW moves on to 9th.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

dexefiend posted:

They have put out plenty of not-powerful codices.

It isn't linear codex creep.

Imo, they will try to make each subsequent codex as good as SM not better.

I dont really trust them to do that, even if you ignore SM 2.0 there was an upwardly trend with the codices.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Khisanth Magus posted:

It's not a significant handicap. If you're playing competitive you're going to be constantly adjusting in response to the meta. If you're not playing competitively then the differences won't matter because there are so many other factors at play. Find an army that speaks to you, put together a force you like, and don't worry about how competitive it is.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I think the only armies that people agree is playing on "hard mode" in terms of, you will really struggle to put up a good fight even if the other player is equally as good as you at the game, is like Grey Knights and Necrons. Even then I'm fairly sure Grey Knights despite it being agreed as being generally bad, will still kick the poo poo out of someone if played by a good player against someone whos new to the game.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Pure Tyranids apparently have the worst ITC record in the last 6 months, but that could be because hardly anybody plays GK and Necrons in ITC.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Kitchner posted:

I think the only armies that people agree is playing on "hard mode" in terms of, you will really struggle to put up a good fight even if the other player is equally as good as you at the game, is like Grey Knights and Necrons. Even then I'm fairly sure Grey Knights despite it being agreed as being generally bad, will still kick the poo poo out of someone if played by a good player against someone whos new to the game.

Necrons can be effective, but to do so requires such a narrow list (Destroyers and Immortals basically) that you're throwing out 90% of the codex, which is boring. And doing that only brings you from Bad to Mediocre, to be honest.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 9, 2019

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

There's like a dozen Necron top 4s on 40k Stats, including a guy who went 5-0 at the very competitive Warzone Atlanta, but the army is not exactly overflowing with good choices.

In the real world of casual gaming, most players are varying shades of bad anyway, so whether Marines are overpowered or not is kind of irrelevant.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

jng2058 posted:

Necrons can be effective, but to do so requires such a narrow list (Destroyers and Immortals basically) that you're throwing out 90% of the codex, which is boring. And doing that only brings you from Bad to Mediocre, to be honest.

Hah, reminds me of the last time I played Necrons, which was back in like 2007-8, before their 2011 codex rework that gave them a lot of options. Your army was basically "as many destroyers as you can fit into a list, and then whatever else to fill points because your destroyers are going to do all the work", followed by the game version update that made glancing hits unable to destroy vehicles, so they were rendered unplayable until said codex rework.

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

Corrode posted:

There's like a dozen Necron top 4s on 40k Stats, including a guy who went 5-0 at the very competitive Warzone Atlanta, but the army is not exactly overflowing with good choices.

In the real world of casual gaming, most players are varying shades of bad anyway, so whether Marines are overpowered or not is kind of irrelevant.

I ended up fighting Imperial Fists centurion spam to only losing by 2 points at a tournament and I was running 52 Deathwing Terminators/Knights and DA is solidly bottom tier. A "bad" codex against a "good" codex doesn't always mean failure.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Khisanth Magus posted:

Hah, reminds me of the last time I played Necrons, which was back in like 2007-8, before their 2011 codex rework that gave them a lot of options. Your army was basically "as many destroyers as you can fit into a list, and then whatever else to fill points because your destroyers are going to do all the work", followed by the game version update that made glancing hits unable to destroy vehicles, so they were rendered unplayable until said codex rework.

This is still the right play, as many destroyers as you can afford, 3 doomsday arks, maybe some tomb blades, and a cryptek with a blob of dudes for command points and to eat charges.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

ThoraxTheImpaler posted:

... DA is solidly bottom tier...

I don't even play and I still know this because of Goonhammer.

https://www.goonhammer.com/stop-competing-dark-angels-tactics/

There used to be so many jokes about DA but now I've come to realise they are universally inappropriate.

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

Z the IVth posted:

I don't even play and I still know this because of Goonhammer.

There used to be so many jokes about DA but now I've come to realise they are universally inappropriate.

It used to just be fluff jokes because we were at least decent on the table. Now we also have to deal with jokes because we're bad. We're all around laughing stocks at this point but we've come to accept this.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

ThoraxTheImpaler posted:

It used to just be fluff jokes because we were at least decent on the table. Now we also have to deal with jokes because we're bad. We're all around laughing stocks at this point but we've come to accept this.

Sweet paint job(s) though.

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

Sweet paint job(s) though.

drat straight. The only faction where in a pure army you can have 3 different official paint schemes.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Chaos Daemons?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

ThoraxTheImpaler posted:

drat straight. The only faction where in a pure army you can have 3 different official paint schemes.

4 if you take an allied detachment of Fallen.

(Can you still do that?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

moths posted:

4 if you take an allied detachment of Fallen.

(Can you still do that?)

Well the Fallen and the Ravenwing have the same paint scheme, black with some red and white, so I count them as one.

goose willis posted:

Chaos Daemons?

Khorne is red, Tzeench blue, etc. It's like guard regiments where it's the same codex but they're still essentially different factions. Especially given their rivalries and hatred of one another.