Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Looking Glass' characterization was as someone who made his life miserable because of hyper paranoia and running/hiding from things that could hurt him. He had his belief system shattered, and learned about a SECOND massive conspiracy. Instead of doing something about it, he tries to protect himself and Angela in a cowardly way and it blows up in his face. It would be disappointing narratively if that arc ends with "and then he kept running".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

MaoistBanker posted:

Do you think the scene in the main hall of Karnak was actually filmed with Manhattan and Ozy together and if so how long did Jeremy Irons have to stare at that hog

I think Lady Trieu is pretty much an active conspirator at this point.

Based on the Blue Angela poster, Manhattan saying that the 7th Kavalry succeed in their plan, and the way Lady Trieu talks during her conversation with the farmers, they're all getting Manhattan's powers somehow

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Wild T posted:

Calling it now: Dr. Manhattan gives Angela the blue waffle.
I figure that's what's going to happen but it seems like a really dumb idea because Angela loved the human Cal and not the god Dr. Manhattan, so why would she volunteer to become like him? Maybe it's a necessary sacrifice to save the day, but then if Manhattan is in a position to transubstantiate some food for her, he's probably in a position to do the saving himself.

It would work if Ep. 8 wasn't so explicit about her not liking him until he made himself human needing him to be human for the relationship to work. I could see Laurie wanting it but not Angela.

just another fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 9, 2019

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Tender Bender posted:

Looking Glass' characterization was as someone who made his life miserable because of hyper paranoia and running/hiding from things that could hurt him. He had his belief system shattered, and learned about a SECOND massive conspiracy. Instead of doing something about it, he tries to protect himself and Angela in a cowardly way and it blows up in his face. It would be disappointing narratively if that arc ends with "and then he kept running".

That's the thing about looking glass. You see in him what you see in yourself!

Not unlike how mirrors & ink blot tests work

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

But anything he does at this point is fan service since he has had one of the few completed character arcs on the show so far

In addition to all the other stuff people have dunked on you about, this part isn't even true because it's unresolved from Angela's perspective why he turned on her, and if he is going to try and make it up to her/do something with his newfound knowledge.

"He got out of dodge" isn't a bad explanation at all fwiw but I don't think it's necessarily in character for a guy who voluntarily puts his life in danger as a masked cop to just be like "welp there's a vast racist conspiracy operating in my department, better flee and assume a new identity without bothering to warn anybody". The opposite character trait was established with the whole scene where he followed 7K members into a building without backup.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

LG influences her story exactly once but apart from that his journey is just the Black Freighter of the TV show

lol literally every non-core storyline at this point has been described as "the Black Freighter of the TV show"

I also like you hedging with "if Lindelof is a good writer he won't do this thing that I am predicting he won't do" lol

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

You're extremely bad at watching this show holy poo poo

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Guy A. Person posted:

You're extremely bad at watching this show holy poo poo

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

if stealing a dead guy from the morgue and engaging in twenty years of identity theft ain't love, I'm not sure what is. sister night loved the blue man first.

I am going to be very upset if I have to point out that yes, they had to disappear the body as well

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I guess LG's "pod" or whatever is meant to get people's inner beasts to come roaring out of them like a wild animal.

The pod is this story's Roar Shack.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Well this thread is finally busted. The tachyons are fuckin with y'alls brains or somethin

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

just another posted:

I figure that's what's going to happen but it seems like a really dumb idea because Angela loved the human Cal and not the god Dr. Manhattan, so why would she volunteer to become like him? Maybe it's a necessary sacrifice to save the day, but then if Manhattan is in a position to transubstantiate some food for her, he's probably in a position to do the saving himself.

It would work if Ep. 8 wasn't so explicit about her not liking him until he made himself human. I could see Laurie wanting it but not Angela.

Except it's been foreshadowed heavily that Angela *won't* like the end result, which is why it's more likely that it happens.

It also lets the character have some form of penance for the whole Vietnam thing.

Would be great, imo, if the show starts down this route and Trieu fucks it up for everyone somehow.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Guy A. Person posted:

In addition to all the other stuff people have dunked on you about, this part isn't even true because it's unresolved from Angela's perspective why he turned on her, and if he is going to try and make it up to her/do something with his newfound knowledge.

"He got out of dodge" isn't a bad explanation at all fwiw but I don't think it's necessarily in character for a guy who voluntarily puts his life in danger as a masked cop to just be like "welp there's a vast racist conspiracy operating in my department, better flee and assume a new identity without bothering to warn anybody". The opposite character trait was established with the whole scene where he followed 7K members into a building without backup.

This is a great personal take on the LG arc! Certainly not what I saw but I don't think you can be objectively right about it, any more than you can say what color a mirror is

And I don't have any hedged bets, I just have what I think will happen and what I hope will happen :)

Weedle
May 31, 2006

How many times do you think Dr. Manhattan has picked up women by telling them they're going to fall in love in The Future and then he teleports out of her bedroom while she's sleeping after they seal the deal. I bet it's a lot.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wild T posted:

He mentions they'll have ten years, then a tragedy but never spoke any further. Nothing in his dialogue makes it absolutely certain that he or Angela won't survive the encounter, and the idea of the heroes travelling to the den of the antagonist shrouded by tachyons before a major disaster is set up to be mirrored perfectly.

Also keep in mind the scene where Manhattan mentioned passing his abilities through a kind of eucharist involved him creating a simple egg. As soon as he's restored, the first thing he does is make waffles because he's 'hungry' and the eggs are dropped on the floor. Without the egg, maybe Manhattan had to make his waffles with something a little more special.

Calling it now: Dr. Manhattan gives Angela the blue waffle.

He's been doing that for ten years

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Weedle posted:

How many times do you think Dr. Manhattan has picked up women by telling them they're going to fall in love in The Future and then he teleports out of her bedroom while she's sleeping after they seal the deal. I bet it's a lot.

The real reason he stopped wearing clothes is that he realized they weren't maximally efficient to his goal of laying pipe 24/7.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Weedle posted:

Dr Manhattan after 30 years of watching skinny white ladies age: I'm tired of this Earth, these people. I'm tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives. I'm tired of staring at dead things

Dr Manhattan after seeing Angela Reeves looking dummy thicc in uniform: hunnnngggggggh I have SEEN the promised land, God is real, put the particle cannon to my head and PULL. THE TRIGGER for there are no more WORLDS to conquer

cowbeef
Apr 21, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Dr Manhattan after 30 years of watching skinny white ladies age: I'm tired of this Earth, these people. I'm tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives. I'm tired of staring at dead things

Dr Manhattan after seeing Angela Reeves looking dummy thicc in uniform: hunnnngggggggh I have SEEN the promised land, God is real, put the particle cannon to my head and PULL. THE TRIGGER for there are no more WORLDS to conquer

Last scene is a thicc, lewd, blu and nude Angela walking away from the camera after obtaining Manhattan powers. As her butt cheeks rock from side to side, cue "God is a Woman" by Ariana Grande.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Wild T posted:

I missed a very subtle exchange last episode but caught it in this episode's opening recap. You'll only get it if you watch with closed captioning on. When Angela is brandishing the hammer at Cal, she begins to call him Jon, spelled properly in the subtitles. When Cal responds, the subtitles read "My name isn't John." He uses the more common spelling because he doesn't realize who she's talking about.

This is way back, but the subtitles for the "previously on" used 'JoHn' in both places, both from Angela and Cal. The rest of the episode uses the correct spelling. I believe Episode 7 itself used 'Jon' during that seen.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

cowbeef posted:

Last scene is a thicc, lewd, blu and nude Angela walking away from the camera after obtaining Manhattan powers. As her butt cheeks rock from side to side, cue "God is a Woman" by Ariana Grande.

This season, cowbeef is a writer on our show.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

upgunned shitpost posted:

I am going to be very upset if I have to point out that yes, they had to disappear the body as well

Ashes over Saigon

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

This is a great personal take on the LG arc! Certainly not what I saw but I don't think you can be objectively right about it, any more than you can say what color a mirror is

Lmao, GGGChris you're a weird poster sometimes but lmao at least you're being fun about it

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I don't normally hang out in TVIV, was the thread for the last season of sherlock this funny

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I feel like the show would have been much better without Dr Manhattan. Center it around the Hooded Justice reveal, Angela's development, etc. Just tell a story in the weird Watchmen universe.

The episode was great in a bottle. Actors nail the scenes, music is perfect, camera work is great. I mean that last full scene was terrific. It's just that when you pull back and look at the whole story, it doesn't work. How are a bunch of redneck Tulsans able to stop him when no one else has been able to? Reminds me a bit of Sorkin television where everything is so well done except the writing is poo poo.

Also for all the money they put into special effects in this show, Manhattan looked like something you'd find on a cheesy SyFy or WB show. Looked real low budget.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Also he's going to transfer powers to Angela through the pool. Or she's going to need to walk on water for something.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Weedle posted:

I feel like that misses out on a key element of Doc's patterns, which is that he always goes for the ones that at some point hate his loving guts. I feel like going after Angela specifically, after the series of events leading up to their meeting, which Angela lays out during their first encounter, is the tell that he's just doing it for the thermodynamic miracle.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
If I have a complaint is that what at first was a show about a nice wide "what if" world is quickly turning into a "the main characters are the only ones existing in the world" kind of show. I still like the show, but weirdly enough, widening the scope of the story to global threats/conspiracy has made the show's world feel smaller than when it was still in the "mask killer" analogue part.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

Hilario Baldness posted:

I'm guessing Veidt helped make Jon into Cal in exchange for his own utopia on Europa, sick of the fact that his egalitarian utopia experiment didn't pan out after 1985 and all that transpired. I mean they call him master for gently caress's sake. He gifts his company to Trieu for helping, he won't need it after that.

He gets sick of it and knows about the satellite and gets out of it. Either encased in gold or literally just gold (Manhattan's thermodynamic miracle). Then in the next episode or two after they get done explaining how it was he came to be, he'll turn Veidt back into a man.

My aim wasn't terrible.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
My other IIMM is that Dr. Manhattan was supposed to leave our galaxy to create his new Eden, but instead he went to Europa cause we needed Veidt to be able to communicate/be rescued by someone on Earth.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Niwrad posted:

I feel like the show would have been much better without Dr Manhattan. Center it around the Hooded Justice reveal, Angela's development, etc. Just tell a story in the weird Watchmen universe.

The episode was great in a bottle. Actors nail the scenes, music is perfect, camera work is great. I mean that last full scene was terrific. It's just that when you pull back and look at the whole story, it doesn't work. How are a bunch of redneck Tulsans able to stop him when no one else has been able to? Reminds me a bit of Sorkin television where everything is so well done except the writing is poo poo.

Also for all the money they put into special effects in this show, Manhattan looked like something you'd find on a cheesy SyFy or WB show. Looked real low budget.

lol ok you just don't get watchmen

the entire point of the character of dr manhattan is that power fantasy is ultimately unfulfilling, because even absolute power attained is unsatisfying. you don't understand the story because you've missed it. that's okay not everything is for everybody

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Niwrad posted:

Also he's going to transfer powers to Angela through the pool. Or she's going to need to walk on water for something.

She's going to eat a waffle and then walk on the pool to confirm for herself it worked, and then she's going to teleport

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The surest sign that someone doesn't "get" Watchmen is when they say it to someone else

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is why Calvinists were driven out of Europe

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

crazy cloud posted:

lol ok you just don't get watchmen

the entire point of the character of dr manhattan is that power fantasy is ultimately unfulfilling, because even absolute power attained is unsatisfying. you don't understand the story because you've missed it. that's okay not everything is for everybody

This show is too smart for you people I insist as the KKK fires up their mind control gun

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Wolfsheim posted:

This show is too smart for you people I insist as the KKK fires up their mind control gun

big hillary clinton in october 2016 energy here

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

It kinda owns that even the two best episodes of the show have one absolutely dumb thing each

In the HJ episode it's that the KKK came up with mind control tech in the 30s only for it to never ever be used or developed or mentioned ever again outside of one very specific instance 90 years later, and in the LG episode its that Adrian recorded mycrimes.mov and sent it to the empty-suit actor president he was using to further his goals and just kinda assumed he could keep the secret

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
TV IV: The Point of HBO's Watchmen may be lost on you without a base understanding of the source material and, more importantly, Kafka's Metamorphosis. Kierkegaard's influences are also clear in the existential horror & selfless martyrdom of the Dr Manhattan Christ-figure

The Rest Of God's Green Earth:

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

Wolfsheim posted:

Let’s stick to reality based plot lines like teleporting a giant psychic squid to convince everyone we are being invaded from another dimension.

I want more ground-level guys, like how a smelly psychotic hobo can scale skyscrapers with his grappling gun.

For Pete’s sake, enough with the Dr Manhattan poo poo. He was barely in the book. Certainly he has nothing to do with what it’s really about, a murder mystery involving the Comedian.

/s

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

TV IV: The Point of HBO's Watchmen may be lost on you without a base understanding of the source material and, more importantly, Kafka's Metamorphosis. Kierkegaard's influences are also clear in the existential horror & selfless martyrdom of the Dr Manhattan Christ-figure

The Rest Of God's Green Earth:

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

Let’s stick to reality based plot lines like teleporting a giant psychic squid to convince everyone we are being invaded from another dimension.

I want more ground-level guys, like how a smelly psychotic hobo can scale skyscrapers with his grappling gun.

For Pete’s sake, enough with the Dr Manhattan poo poo. He was barely in the book. Certainly he has nothing to do with what it’s really about, a murder mystery involving the Comedian.

/s

ok great job everybody. together, we made the thread good again

Weedle
May 31, 2006

That guy really does have a huge dick. I can't stop thinking about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDbHwz6JGzo