Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

d0grent posted:

does anyone know of a midi controller that is just 1 platter and a fader? I'm looking for something cheap and/or small I can use just to scratch samples for production stuff, not for anything live.

https://www.instructables.com/id/HDDJ-Turning-an-old-hard-disk-drive-into-a-rotary/

There's also this;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReuCnZciOf4
https://github.com/rasteri/SC1000
https://cdm.link/2018/12/build-your-own-scratch-dj-controller/

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

that's pretty rad, but I don't really want to build anything. I'm not opposed to spending money if there's nothing cheap, but it does need to be small.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost
Behringer CMD PL-1? Can't speak to the quality but it seems to fit the bill.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

There’s 7” control discs you could put on a PT-01.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

d0grent posted:

does anyone know of a midi controller that is just 1 platter and a fader? I'm looking for something cheap and/or small I can use just to scratch samples for production stuff, not for anything live.

The Reloop Spin or Numark Scratch however you'd need DVS / Control vinyl I guess.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Oh man, gonna have to try that first one.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I just received my brand new Denon x1800 mixer to replace the one I RMA'd about a month ago.
The replacement unit doesn't work at all. It boots up but none of the buttons work, and it won't even register or pass sound.
It took 9 months of trying to get it RMA'd before I gave up on going through their support and had my Sweetwater rep reach out to them for me. Then they sent me a loving brick as a replacement.
What the gently caress Denon?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I have a feeling a lot of warranty departments are this bad, it's certainly my experience with them. I work at a university and we buy a lot of tech, occasionally it goes tits up and we have to bother the company to sort it. The amount of stuff that comes back broken is incredible, they fix one thing which somehow kills something else.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I have a feeling a lot of warranty departments are this bad, it's certainly my experience with them. I work at a university and we buy a lot of tech, occasionally it goes tits up and we have to bother the company to sort it. The amount of stuff that comes back broken is incredible, they fix one thing which somehow kills something else.

I assumed that was the case at first but my replacement mixer isn't even b-stock. It's literally a brand new replacement unit.
I must have some terrible karma I need to figure out.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I just got off the phone with the Lead RMA & Tech support guy and he just sent me a return label and processed another new mixer for me.
He said I can cross ship or wait for the new one to arrive first, it doesn't matter. What's great is that I don't have to wait for them to receive my mixer before they send a new one.

He also confirmed that the last mixer they sent me was in fact, brand new.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6BjKaLxjFA

As a die hard techno head.... I love this.

Although the people bumping into him are giving me anxiety haha.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

algebra testes posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6BjKaLxjFA

As a die hard techno head.... I love this.

Although the people bumping into him are giving me anxiety haha.

This reminds me of another goon DJ (kllthwhls) who taught me you could play abba at any party ever and it would go like this

Awesome video

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

There are a lot of classic/cheesy tracks you can play in a crowded room full of people up for it and get this reaction. A lot of the time switching it up and playing something completely unrelated is needed, DJs who play one loving genre sets are just so boring. Mix it up, surprise me, make me feel something!

(this is also the reason why to this day the unreleased Justice Fabric mix is one of the best ever)
https://soundcloud.com/rosasparks420/justice-fabric-rejected-mix-better-known-as-christmas-special-mix

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

He also confirmed that the last mixer they sent me was in fact, brand new.

If he's any good he'll now be prodding the QC department and going "guys, what the gently caress is this?"

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Dec 16, 2019

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Olympic Mathlete posted:

There are a lot of classic/cheesy tracks you can play in a crowded room full of people up for it and get this reaction. A lot of the time switching it up and playing something completely unrelated is needed, DJs who play one loving genre sets are just so boring. Mix it up, surprise me, make me feel something!

(this is also the reason why to this day the unreleased Justice Fabric mix is one of the best ever)
https://soundcloud.com/rosasparks420/justice-fabric-rejected-mix-better-known-as-christmas-special-mix

If he's any good he'll now be prodding the QC department and going "guys, what the gently caress is this?"

That's my hope. I mean I'm 0/2 so far which is just completely ridiculous to me.
The first failure was at least livable and I could work around it. I just had to perform a little percussive maintenance to stop it and make sure my amp was off until the buzzing noise went away so it didn't destroy my speakers.
But the second unit powering on and being almost functional during boot, but not after is just mind boggling to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgDjO83KrK8

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

That's my hope. I mean I'm 0/2 so far which is just completely ridiculous to me.
The first failure was at least livable and I could work around it. I just had to perform a little percussive maintenance to stop it and make sure my amp was off until the buzzing noise went away so it didn't destroy my speakers.
But the second unit powering on and being almost functional during boot, but not after is just mind boggling to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgDjO83KrK8

That's incredible. How do they send you a new one as a replacement for one that's faulty and not even test it to make sure they're not loving you around TWICE?

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Is it absolutely essential for your workflow? I’d be looking towards Xones or DJMs or something else at this stage.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

It looks like a nicely laid out mixer and the equivalent Pioneer is twice the price. The Allen and Heath equivalent looks like someone made it in their shed with little regard for aesthetics and is also more expensive by a fair chunk so I get why this choice was made... it's just a pity it doesn't work.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Update: got the 2nd replacement mixer. This one works great so far.
No buzzing, no problems, and for some reason the reverb is SUPER deep compared to the one I originally RMA'd.

I do really enjoy the mixer. It's well laid out and cheap as gently caress compared to Pioneer gear. Workflow? Bruh I never leave the bedroom. This is for hobby use only.
I am still on the hunt for a mixer for my vinyl only setup though. A rotary mixer would be fantastic but I can't afford a Bozak at the moment.
Likewise I can't spring for even a used Xone:92 right now and the DB4 looks like it was thrown together by a drunk child. But they sound loving fantastic.
A Rane would be cool, but again that's a bit out of my budget at the moment. It would be nice to get a seventy-two and have the option to run Serato Pro again though.

I'm really disappointed that Serato hasn't gotten with the times and implemented touchscreen support. Hell, I can't even run it in anything other than 1080 resolution without it looking all fucky. It's only a feature people have been asking about for like, what, 7 years?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm really disappointed that Serato hasn't gotten with the times and implemented touchscreen support. Hell, I can't even run it in anything other than 1080 resolution without it looking all fucky. It's only a feature people have been asking about for like, what, 7 years?

If you’re on a Mac, they released a Retina version like last year. I don’t know if they ever did the same for Windows.

edit: wait, maybe I’m thinking of ableton?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I don't have any Apple-anythings.

Also, in regards to the Denon x1800 and SC5000's I preordered them, but between some gift card promotion and MrRebates cash back I paid like $1500 for the whole setup.
Then I returned one of the SC5000 and bought a used one for like $200 less. So yeah it was a pretty good deal considering a Pioneer mixer is like twice that.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

My experience with Serato is they're utterly loving useless unless you're a big name DJ asking for something dumb in which case they'll drop everything and implement whatever it is you're after. I mean the whole loving library issue I had earlier this year: "yeah well we don't really know why it does that and we've been looking into improving it but er, we haven't actually done anything. Yes we know Rekordbox does it all already despite still being a fairly new piece of software in comparison but y'know..."

Also I'm glad you've finally got a mixer that works!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I've got a couple of 20% discount codes for "Serato DJ Club" (Pro + DVS) from my whole mixer RMA fiasco.
Anyone itt considering buying Serato + DVS that could use one? PM me and I'll send you a code.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Probably too simple for most of the people itt, but Ean Golden has started posting again for people that are starting out and using Traktor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXOtzZM72OY

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jan 3, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PrimeGo--denon-dj-prime-go-rechargeable-dj-system-with-touchscreen-and-wi-fi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fkacJBKW7k

Oh my god it's so cute :3:

I kinda wish they'd abandon the facade that those tiny rear end wheels are for scratching and just put finger divots in them like the old DN series CD players had.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
That is hecka cute. :3 Denon are really stepping up their game, eh?

I just installed the new version of Traktor but can't remember where in setup to point it to my custom library location - it's installing stuff on my home drive and I'm watching the GBs tick down and I don't like it. Anyone remember how to do this during startup, or alternatively once it's done to correct it in Preferences and which files are OK to delete from the default library location to free up space? I'm seeing like 10GB in the 'Stripes' folder alone already.

In rumours, a friend just posted this and said it leaked to a retailer page today.

If that's real, I'll eat my DJM900.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Mister Speaker posted:

That looks like a photoshop but I personally wouldn't make any bets against it.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

just in case you really cant decide and need a controller, turntables, and cdjs

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Yeah the prevailing sentiment amongst friends I've shared it to is that it can't be real because who the hell are they trying to sell it to? The only real market I can see for this are guys who want to do live PA stuff with synths and samplers and Ableton running... and in that case, the compressor knob and sends on every channel do kind of make sense. But I don't think Pioneer really cares too much to corner that market because it's already so saturated for the few people who are really doing it. It's way too cluttered for a DJ mixer, and some of the stuff like the knobs and buttons (and four-band EQ...) that are aping the A&H mixers are a dead giveaway, to me, that it's fake.

Man, remember watching the Chemical Brothers treat a Mackie 32|8 console like a DJ mixer? That poo poo was clutch.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PrimeGo--denon-dj-prime-go-rechargeable-dj-system-with-touchscreen-and-wi-fi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fkacJBKW7k

Oh my god it's so cute :3:

I kinda wish they'd abandon the facade that those tiny rear end wheels are for scratching and just put finger divots in them like the old DN series CD players had.

drat I wish this had been around when I got the 7000 last year. Something smaller and standalone would be clutch.

It’d be nice if we could get some more portable stuff that wasn’t on the low-end of the market.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Mister Speaker posted:

That is hecka cute. :3 Denon are really stepping up their game, eh?

I just installed the new version of Traktor but can't remember where in setup to point it to my custom library location - it's installing stuff on my home drive and I'm watching the GBs tick down and I don't like it. Anyone remember how to do this during startup, or alternatively once it's done to correct it in Preferences and which files are OK to delete from the default library location to free up space? I'm seeing like 10GB in the 'Stripes' folder alone already.

In rumours, a friend just posted this and said it leaked to a retailer page today.

FFS I mean, just make it 4 channels and have each channel be able to switch inputs like the x1800.
Like goddamn who the gently caress needs 6 simultaneous tracks?

I mean, considering the Live PA aspect, 6 channels isn't nearly enough.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

FFS I mean, just make it 4 channels and have each channel be able to switch inputs like the x1800.
Like goddamn who the gently caress needs 6 simultaneous tracks?

I mean, considering the Live PA aspect, 6 channels isn't nearly enough.

Yeah!

Denon has had good inputs with their matrix thing. I think the input selectors are a little too complicated for some DJs; once had a guy all confused when with just a two channel mixer I was rockin a pair of cdjs and pair of turntables.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
HOLY gently caress IT'S FOR REAL.

I really have to stop telling people "If (unlikely thing) happens I'll eat (inedible object)."

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Lmao who is that aimed to?

edit: oh poo poo i just read from someone that's been working with the product, there's some cool features in there that aren't aimed at the djs. foh sound engineers can remotely control mixer settings such as the master attenuation and muting mics. he also says its the best sounding mixer on the market so far. but i'll let others decide if that's true or not

keevo fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jan 16, 2020

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Anyone who would use that probably already owns or uses a Model One.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Probably. Got to play with it for a second at NAMM. Neat mixer that definitely isn't aimed at most DJs that barely use more than two channels at a time. The under-the-hood features that they added in there are going to be great once they add them to future products.

That being said, is there anyone that has actually seen a DJM-Tour1 or CDJ-Tour1 being used? Still don't understand why those two were made.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

keevo posted:

foh sound engineers can remotely control mixer settings such as the master attenuation...

I can't wait until the first big name DJ using one of these notices his output dropping but doesn't know why. The twitter whining is going to be fun.

Also that portable controller looks fun, does it run software internally then and just read off USBs/whatever?

Super86
Apr 20, 2016
Newbie question here. which versions of songs should I buy? normal or extended?
I tend to buy the extended version always as I don't see the advantage of the regular versions, but I'm probably missing something here.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Whichever you want. These days you can use hotcues to extend or shorten tracks at your leisure.

Extended mixes are useful for if you want to step out for a dart or a piss, though. I usually put on Planet Rock on nights that I'm playing from 10-2 and use that as my mid-set pee break.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Plastic Dreams by Jaydee was the most popular bathroom/drug/drink break song when I was going out back in the Cretaceous era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Extended mixes are usually great for mashups.
Or if you DJ vinyl it usually means you have a longer beat to beatmatch to, which helps.