Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
It really isn’t too much of a surprise that this is a bit of a hot mess. I recently re-read Crisis and it barely made sense even to someone familiar with the comics of the time. There are so many parts that are just clearly there to serve as tie-ins for ongoing series and which begin and “end” without affecting the main story in the least, parts where the Anti-Monitor’s plans and the points to them are vague at best, and so many characters that most characters who aren’t a Flash or from the House of El is lucky to do more than appear on-panel and have their name mentioned. I can’t imagine someone reading it nowadays without any knowledge of the comics.

What I’m saying here is that it’s exactly the glorious trainwreck I expected and wanted. If the Williams score plays during the Routh introduction I will mark out even harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Space Fish posted:

Is the batarang high tech, or did Ray add a light element enchantment to it that deals +1 damage to shadow beings?

It's a little bit of both, Ray boosted the batarang, but they were already high tech. There was a plot point earlier in the season that they were still tuned for Bruce's arm length so Kate was loving up with them.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

GreenNight posted:

He could have been 1 of the billion that escaped.

3 billion escaped. Monitor estimates that 1 billion of them were due to the extra time Oliver bought.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Bruceski posted:

3 billion escaped. Monitor estimates that 1 billion of them were due to the extra time Oliver bought.

Australia gonna get full.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

GreenNight posted:

Australia gonna get full.

That’s the tip of the iceberg, think about the impact in a generation or two and they’re dealing with a few billion bogans running around

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Shove em all to nazi Earth. Problem solved.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Hey so forgive me but I don't know all my TV tropes. But Ollie died in the first episode and not how the Monitor thought. Johnathan "Superman's Son" El landed, of all random places, in another Green Arrow's timeline/universe/city. We had ZERO reason to have that Oliver be part of this show (but he really acted the hell out of it!). Is this not a Chekhov's Ollie?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

If the Arrow Beyond folks jump back to the future I want the Glades (or the reverse-Glades depending on what time travel managed to stop) to have a large second-generation refugee population. Team Flash tries to put meta-dampening cuffs on an alien. Supergirl becomes an ambassador/symbol for all the "38-ers" instead of just aliens forcing her and Lena to do press appearances together.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Feenix posted:

Hey so forgive me but I don't know all my TV tropes. But Ollie died in the first episode and not how the Monitor thought. Johnathan "Superman's Son" El landed, of all random places, in another Green Arrow's timeline/universe/city. We had ZERO reason to have that Oliver be part of this show (but he really acted the hell out of it!). Is this not a Chekhov's Ollie?

It would be weird to end the show Arrow with an Ollie who doesn't have the memories of the Ollie we've been following this whole time. Unless you mean the new Ollie could die the way the Monitor saw Ollie would die. But, like...isn't Arrow not quite done yet? Just going to have the last episode of Arrow have no Ollie in it?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yes, it's to kick start the spinoff. Plus it was pretty obvious he was passing the mantel to the new Arrow. Show is called Arrow, not The Adventures of Ollie.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Arrow has two episodes left once the crossover is done, the Arrow Beyond pilot and the series finale. Amell is obviously going to be in the finale, but nothing says it can't be in flashbacks only. Honestly that would be pretty on brand for Arrow.

Bruceski posted:

If the Arrow Beyond folks jump back to the future I want the Glades (or the reverse-Glades depending on what time travel managed to stop) to have a large second-generation refugee population. Team Flash tries to put meta-dampening cuffs on an alien. Supergirl becomes an ambassador/symbol for all the "38-ers" instead of just aliens forcing her and Lena to do press appearances together.

I'm still guessing they're going to slam that reset button hard and the major universes, like Earth-38, that get wiped out are brought back.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
No, the backdoor pilot is the second to last episode. We get one more to wrap it all up.

The concept of 3 billion duplicates showing up on Earth is pretty nuts. Suddenly you have two wives only one has a weird accent or something.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

Rhyno posted:

The concept of 3 billion duplicates showing up on Earth is pretty nuts. Suddenly you have two wives only one has a weird accent or something.

Another version of your wife shows up, except this time she looks like your mom or something.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Or she's a cyborg! With laser eyes!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I mean, not a lot of alien activity on Earth 1, so it's gonna be a surprise for everyone.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Rhyno posted:

No, the backdoor pilot is the second to last episode. We get one more to wrap it all up.

No, you only have one wife, there's just someone else who looks like her and may or may not be married to someone who looks like you.

I'm a near-identical twin, I know how this stuff works, it's two people no matter how similar they are.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Unless they merge the world but the timing is off so the alt version of you SO is only half merged so they have to share a torso and have 3 legs.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

thrawn527 posted:

It would be weird to end the show Arrow with an Ollie who doesn't have the memories of the Ollie we've been following this whole time. Unless you mean the new Ollie could die the way the Monitor saw Ollie would die. But, like...isn't Arrow not quite done yet? Just going to have the last episode of Arrow have no Ollie in it?

I don't know what I mean. I just mean, kinda random to introduce rand-Ollie AND kill Ollie-prime in the same ep. (which is the first of 5 ep series that includes a farewell of Oliver altogether. Sooooo... maybe something there?

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003

Bruceski posted:

I think this was the only thing that was really off about the episode for me, because the editing cuts immediately from Oliver charging forward to hold his ground to a shot of the tower crumbling and the wave hitting. To the viewer there was no "extra time", it really needed a longer last stand but I can imagine having him alone hand to hand fighting ghosts would have looked terrible.

Or the Monitor was just saying that to make everyone feel better, who knows.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Holy crap did that satisfy. I wasn't expecting it to get out of the gate so fast, I figured it would be a Suprgirl-centric episode, then poo poo gets real, then some of the rest of the gang shows up. Nope, just quick bits of Harbinger showing up and saying "you, you're coming with me" to everyone, and off we go!

Ray loving up trivia night, Kate decking Harbinger, and old fat Robin walking his doggie. Flash fact: Burt Ward spends his retirement running an animal rescue and has 50 kajillion dogs, so no doubt he probably asked to be walking a dog in the shot. Knowing that bit of irl trivia made me all :kimchi:

I got teary af watching both future Ollie and regular Ollie scenes, which was probably a good thing because I hadn't blinked during the rest of the episode and my eyes were threatening to dry up and fall out. I really wasnt expecting the death scene, since I knew we had 2 more Arrow episodes coming, so that was sheer wtf for me. Like, I knew Arrow was almost over and Amell wasn't gonna be around much longer*, but to pull that out on an episode of Supergirl? The first ep of Crisis? Absolutely did not see that coming and was blind-sided by it.

*That said, we always have The Time gently caress-ups of Tomorrow, I'd bet my full run of 52 that he shows up sometime for A Very Special Episode of Legends in the future. (Well, our future. Their past. Or, something, it's complicated. Speedforce, I ain't gotta explain poo poo)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I liked the way they justified the Supergirl focused episode by having Earth 38 in the path of the wave first. It let them do some good stuff with Kara and Clark, Lois, Argo, etc, probably helped set up that spinoff, and allowed people like Nia and Kelly to show up for the crossover. Its gonna be a little more awkward to justify a stopover at Gotham before heading to Star Labs (and the Batwoman supporting cast will feel less earned to have a visit) but I thought they did a good job balancing last night so I'm optimistic for tonight. It wasn't that first crossover that was all awkwardly "Here's a Supergirl episode... oh yeah, crossover."

That's true I suppose. I guess, especially since Supergirl has been dealing with its own plot this season (rather than Flash and Arrow which have basically been entirely Crisis preludes), it is important to point out "hey our plot still exists but is now on hold" rather than ignoring all that and just coming back in January without acknowledging it.

Space Fish posted:

Is the batarang high tech, or did Ray add a light element enchantment to it that deals +1 damage to shadow beings?

Batarangs are much like Green Arrow's arrows, in that they do whatever the gently caress the plot needs them to do at any time.

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
So what are the chances that dead Oliver is actually future alternate Oliver (for 20+ years in the future he really doesn't age much) who was brought in last second by the Monitor to make the sacrifice he was inspired to make by Sarah, who was only there to inspire him because the Monitor redirected the baby ship to his domain? He may have been asked to play the part so that "real" Ollie can come in later and make the sacrifice he was supposed to make when he needs to make it, and to inspire the others to fight in Ollie's honor until the time is right...

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The Legends time traveled Future Ollie to past Elseworlds to generate the Flash speed clone. So Future Ollie Past Flash Speed Clone is the one who died

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

SardonicTyrant posted:

He had a kryptonite arrow. Somehow. There isn't even kryptonite in his universe.

He synthesized it but had to use tar as a substitute for an unidentifiable component.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

WhyteRyce posted:

The Legends time traveled Future Ollie to past Elseworlds to generate the Flash speed clone. So Future Ollie Past Flash Speed Clone is the one who died

I was gonna say something like this, a Flash AND a Green Arrow dies, very economical.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Future Ollie subbing in doesn't make a ton of sense to me when the Monitor could probably just like plug Oliver from a second before his death or give him alien magic or whatever to have him show up for the finale. But then again I have no idea what the purpose of sending Superman's kid to an alternate Earth in 2046 with a crazy Ollie. So I have no idea what thread that is. For a second I thought it was gonna be a screw up and the kid would have been there for 27 years and was now Superboy or something... or that it would be the Arrow Beyond timeline and we'd be closing the loop on that timeline... but I dunno what's going on now so I'm just gonna wait and see.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Seeing Oldiver might just be a way for them to give him some closure, since it was kinda left in the air back in Legends S1.

Then again, time bullshit might get even shittier, so who knows?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I kinda promised our crew they’d never have to do another crossover...

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Yesssss

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Yesssss, AI Snart

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So this is the Legends epsidoe

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Oh man, 7 paragons made me think lantern corps for a second.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Bruce Wayne is Batman? :monocle:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Kate being smug about her cousin being Batman feels appropriate. Same with Ray being thrilled about finding that out.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Lex is so predictable.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Of course Lex would take the opportunity to kill all Supermen when he gets the chance.

And Barry, no, Lazarus pits are a bad idea.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I feel like the team are already going way off-mission

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

howe_sam posted:

Of course Lex would take the opportunity to kill all Supermen when he gets the chance.

And Barry, no, Lazarus pits are a bad idea.

So exactly on brand for Barry

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Xelkelvos posted:

So exactly on brand for Barry

I mean, it's better than going back in time at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Constantine!