Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
There’s a specific set of charms that makes it so you can outheal the damage of the traps and just have infinite attempts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

There’s a specific set of charms that makes it so you can outheal the damage of the traps and just have infinite attempts.

Yeah, I think it's Deep Focus plus whatever allows you to generate more soul from taking damage. That's how I got through it. It's not so bad when there's no risk of death.

Edit: Yeah, Deep Focus + Grubsong + Grubberfly's Elegy is essentially infinite soul for White Palace. Maybe Spell Twister as well if you have room but that's probably overkill.
Some people also use Hiveblood but I think the wait time is too annoying.

HMS Beagle fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Dec 9, 2019

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
The white palace is definitely the nadir of the game.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

VikingofRock posted:

A good charm setup is key to the White palace IMO. Hiveblood + grubsong gives you near-infinite attempts if you have some patience. Maybe throw in one of the nail-lengthening charms to make the pogo-ing easier.

Hiveblood sucks for White Palace (and in general, really). It takes a million years for it to heal you, and you have to stop in between every single attempt or lose the health until the next time you rest anyways.

Use the Deep Focus + Grubsong + Grubberfly's Elegy combo that several others have suggested instead.

Arrhythmia posted:

The white palace is definitely the nadir of the game.

It owns, actually.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Yeah, I put on hiveblood and the grub one. I can have infinite attempts: of not enjoying myself. I just get the feeling that even if I get through this stupid meatboy stuff, I'll have to face another boss that is even more of a dick punch.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Waltzing Along posted:

Yeah, I put on hiveblood and the grub one. I can have infinite attempts: of not enjoying myself. I just get the feeling that even if I get through this stupid meatboy stuff, I'll have to face another boss that is even more of a dick punch.

Nope, it's just platforming.

Hive blood is too slow. The soul from damage + double heal makes you effectively immortal and makes the whole thing much less tedious.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

The White Palace sucks and almost ruined the game for me. I feel your pain, man.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I did the whole thing in like 2 hours, if you get creative and experiment you can skip YUGE chunks of half of it.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Or just do like I did and just not bother with the true ending cause the base game is hard as balls for me as it was and the bosses have too much health for my liking.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

I thought the white palace (and the path of pain) was the best part of the game :shrug:. I’m awful at the bosses though. Every single one took me like a dozen tries, and I absolutely cannot beat King Grimm or the second Zote dream fight. Apparently there’s a harder version of the Grimm fight, too?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bust Rodd posted:

I did the whole thing in like 2 hours, if you get creative and experiment you can skip YUGE chunks of half of it.

I stumbled bass ackwards into a pretty nice skip, yeah its definitely possible

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I beat the dream zote fight, fwiw. The last guys I beat were the bee and the markoth. Markoth put me around 1850 of whatever the graveyard bug said I needed. I'm sure there are other bosses around. I know there was one dream ghost at least. Maybe two that I saw and was going to go back to. And I had 4 more grubs to get.

I went up some elevator in the palace. Went down through a door and saw a bunch of platforms and saws and said F this and decided to wander around some more. Found another hall with then but no platforms so decided to try that. I got to a vertical shaft with some very tricky jumps and by that point was just burned out. I think I paused the game one the 3rd platform up the shaft.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
The White Palace tests to make sure you have absolute mastery of the movement system of the game, and I'm really not sure you can beat the final boss without that mastery. If anyone comes in here and says "I hated the WP but I did fine against the last boss!" well, you passed the test, didn't you? Maybe all that practice in the WP made you better.

But if you're not having fun playing a video game, you don't need to keep playing it, it's okay, you're still a good person.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hell is exclusively for Holocaust deniers and Hollow Knight abandoners, sorry to have to be the one to tell you

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

OzFactor posted:

The White Palace tests to make sure you have absolute mastery of the movement system of the game, and I'm really not sure you can beat the final boss without that mastery. If anyone comes in here and says "I hated the WP but I did fine against the last boss!" well, you passed the test, didn't you? Maybe all that practice in the WP made you better.

But if you're not having fun playing a video game, you don't need to keep playing it, it's okay, you're still a good person.

I dunno, if you can beat Dream Zote you can probably beat every non-Godhome mega boss

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hollow Knight is one of the only games that I’ve ever beaten and still feel bad at.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

Hollow Knight is one of the only games that I’ve ever beaten and still feel bad at.
The real ending of the game is getting the Weathered Mask. You won't feel bad after getting it!

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
There is no amount of GIT GUD to make me be able to beat all of Godhome

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpLIbqBVtTg&t=716s

I can't get by this point. I just can't do that string of moves fast enough. So that's it. I'm done. Over 30 mins of trying and it's become obvious I just can't do it. And seeing what is coming up I can tell I won't be able to do that stuff either.

And now that I've seen what the last boss is. I wouldn't be able to do him, either. Hahaha. Holy poo poo. That fight is brutal.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

And now that I've seen what the last boss is. I wouldn't be able to do him, either. Hahaha. Holy poo poo. That fight is brutal.

I found her to be a lot easier to learn than HK was, tbh.

I get having a place where you’re just done with the game. There’s a few things that I still haven’t bothered to finish. But dang it, everyone should play long enough to experience NKG.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I played Hollow Knight last year, and spent several hours suffering my way through the White Palace, and gave up at the final final boss. But since then I chewed my way through Celeste and maybe that'll give me the platforming chops I need to try again.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

YggiDee posted:

I played Hollow Knight last year, and spent several hours suffering my way through the White Palace, and gave up at the final final boss. But since then I chewed my way through Celeste and maybe that'll give me the platforming chops I need to try again.

If you didn't beat the Radiance you haven't even beaten the 4th final boss bro

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

jeeves posted:

There is no amount of GIT GUD to make me be able to beat all of Godhome

I might do it some day, but I quit at Pantheon 5 for my last playthrough.

The thing is... that's fine. I'd much rather have a game that extends past my limits as a player than one that can't challenge me.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I might do it some day, but I quit at Pantheon 5 for my last playthrough.

The thing is... that's fine. I'd much rather have a game that extends past my limits as a player than one that can't challenge me.

that's what the bindings are for...

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Arrhythmia posted:

If you didn't beat the Radiance you haven't even beaten the 4th final boss bro

I did all this before Godmaster

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Challenging the motherfucking sun to a duel and seeing her unfurl her wings is one of the coolest moments in any video game ever imo.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

SirSamVimes posted:

Challenging the motherfucking sun to a duel and seeing her unfurl her wings is one of the coolest moments in any video game ever imo.

The ending of Rain World might just have it beat for me but yeah it's definitely up there among my favourite moments

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpLIbqBVtTg&t=716s

I can't get by this point. I just can't do that string of moves fast enough. So that's it. I'm done. Over 30 mins of trying and it's become obvious I just can't do it. And seeing what is coming up I can tell I won't be able to do that stuff either.

Yep, this was exactly me. I'd gotten everything I wanted out of the game by this point and the thought of spending hours slowly chipping away at really hard platforming sections just so I can say to my uncaring self that I did it (nevermind a bunch of even more uncaring strangers on the internet) felt like a chore, so I ended my time with the game on a high note right then and there.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I'm really bad at the combat in this game and mostly just brute force everything, but for whatever reason White Palace never really bothered me. Doing a second runthrough now and I cleared it in like a half hour and was surprised at how quickly it was over

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hollow Knight’s platforming is a distinctly different kill set than Hollow Knight’s swordplay, and I think the game’s best boss fights are the ones that bridge that divide.

You cannot beat The Mantis Lords if you haven’t figured out that level of platforming, and the tighter your jumps and lunges, the more damage you can do.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bust Rodd posted:

Hollow Knight’s platforming is a distinctly different kill set than Hollow Knight’s swordplay, and I think the game’s best boss fights are the ones that bridge that divide.

You cannot beat The Mantis Lords if you haven’t figured out that level of platforming, and the tighter your jumps and lunges, the more damage you can do.

The Colosseum is definitely equal parts fighting and platforming.

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

Team Cherry posted a "Holiday sign off" blog post along with a couple of samples from the Silksong soundtrack:

http://teamcherry.com.au/team-cherry-holiday-sign-off/

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Flimf posted:

Team Cherry posted a "Holiday sign off" blog post along with a couple of samples from the Silksong soundtrack:

http://teamcherry.com.au/team-cherry-holiday-sign-off/

God, and I thought Dirtmouth's theme sounded depressed, Bonebottom's theme just sounds completely and utterly miserable. :smith:

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

OzFactor posted:

The White Palace tests to make sure you have extremely high tolerance of boredom.
ftfy

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Nah it's fun.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea I loved the white palace. Git gud scrubs

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Is white palace even as difficult as super mario world? Like sure PoP's final screen is downright brutal but the base one didnt even seem significantly more difficult than the queens garden platforming.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i was about to say that you didn't have to ever spike pogo to complete super mario world but wait there was the spin jump that let you bounce on spikes and it's been 20 years since i've played it, did you have to use that to get through levels?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I would rather clear the main White Palace path 8 times than do "Tubular" once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Cowcaster posted:

i was about to say that you didn't have to ever spike pogo to complete super mario world but wait there was the spin jump that let you bounce on spikes and it's been 20 years since i've played it, did you have to use that to get through levels?

There was a secret ENDGAME zone in SMW made up of nuclear powered platforming super levels that’s required utter mastery of the game to beat, I’d put them about on par with White Palace, but again, I only beat White Palace by combining charms to negate the gruesome walk backs and skipping about 20% of it with clever crystal dashing