Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Of course it's a nostalgia cash in. That doesn't mean it can't be good. If you walk around mad at people weaponizing nostalgia how have you not had a series of strokes over the last five years?

e: actually vascular dementia would explain a lot of posts on the internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
In the original movie there was "something strange in your neighborhood", so naturally in a sequel there are Stranger Things.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Egon grew test tube children

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Egon grew test tube children

He openly admitted to loving the slime

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Do kids still ride bikes? I don't see it much anymore.

Trying to imagine a Dutch version of "Kids on bikes find an X" movie.

Directed by Paul Verhoeven. :getin:

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
I liked it.

Guessing Egon went to investigate Shandor Mining and it's where he passed away.

Ivo Shandor was basically the reason why everything happened in the previous movies, he was the guy who built the building in the first movie. The stone etc probably came from the small towns mine and there's some other stuff there.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Why would Egon have Ecto-1? Surely Ray would have the car.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Keltar posted:

I liked it.

Guessing Egon went to investigate Shandor Mining and it's where he passed away.

Ivo Shandor was basically the reason why everything happened in the previous movies, he was the guy who built the building in the first movie. The stone etc probably came from the small towns mine and there's some other stuff there.

Yea I think it's a pretty predictable plot point that the building materials used to make Dana's building in the first film were taken from the mine in this one.

I hope they keep things vague about Egon and just say that he passed away. Don't tie his death directly in with the plot imo.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I think it's a pretty predictable plot point that the building materials used to make Dana's building in the first film were taken from the mine in this one.

I hope they keep things vague about Egon and just say that he passed away. Don't tie his death directly in with the plot imo.

Judging from the trailer he was there for quite some time, I mean he even started a new mould and fungus collection. The question is did Egon ever find what he was looking for? He either died of natural causes or he and the other ghostbusters fought something during which Egon died. It could explain why Ecto 1 is there along with some GB equipment.

ThanosWasRight
May 12, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I was reading the wikipedia entry for Ghostbusters 2 and I did not realize it was actually poorly received and there are people who didn't like it.

I always though it was really good when I was a kid and the slime/ooze scenes scared the poo poo out of me.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.

ThanosWasRight posted:

I was reading the wikipedia entry for Ghostbusters 2 and I did not realize it was actually poorly received and there are people who didn't like it.

I always though it was really good when I was a kid and the slime/ooze scenes scared the poo poo out of me.

The first Ghostbusters movie set the bar so high that every movie after it is going to get the “didn’t like it, not as good as the original” review. Which is why I’m optimistic about this one as it doesn’t appear to be just re-doing the original feel and format.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

ThanosWasRight posted:

I love Ghostbusters 2 as well, its just not as good as the first one. The first one set an unbelievable standard though, so it's forgivable.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I like: The setup that Egon's daughter never told her kids what their grandfather was up to or who he was.

I don't like: Revisiting the whole Gozer thing. Do something new, jeez.

I'm sure it's just a trailer editing thing that won't be part of the final film but the mild "shock scare" at 0:21 is dumb and doesn't help with how little comedy there's on display here. It even has low-key children screams in the background just to be extra loving cheesy.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

ErrEff posted:

I like: The setup that Egon's daughter never told her kids what their grandfather was up to or who he was.

I don't like: Revisiting the whole Gozer thing. Do something new, jeez.

I'm sure it's just a trailer editing thing that won't be part of the final film but the mild "shock scare" at 0:21 is dumb and doesn't help with how little comedy there's on display here. It even has low-key children screams in the background just to be extra loving cheesy.

I think the Gozer thing makes sense, with the Shandor connection. :shrug:

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Where did they mention Gozer in the trailer?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Where did they mention Gozer in the trailer?

There's a terror-dog leg stepping on the teacher's car at one point. Plus the Shandor mines makes it easy to suspect that we've got some Gozer-shenanigans going on.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
If Ivo Shandor is involved Gozer is involved because the Shandor cult worshiped Gozer

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

GB2 did what a lot of 80s sequels did which is reset everything off screen so you can hit all the beats from the first movie again.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I liked that there were no ghost sightings for 30 years. Adds a lot of mystery. But other than that...

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I don't like being the guy to poo poo things up, but if you removed all the Ghostbusters iconography from this trailer, it would look to me like a pretty unremarkable young adult fantasy adventure thing.

Pretty much my thought. I hated it.

ThanosWasRight
May 12, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
nvm

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I really wish that at the very least they'd stop trying to action-ify ghost busting.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
I know Answer The Call is a different universe, but is the 2009 video game canon here?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I don't understand the intent of the trailer. The first minute has no hint of Ghostbusters at all. So it seems like it's not meant to be looked up online as the Ghostbusters trailer, but rather is meant for the unaware theater goer to assume they are watching a trailer for a forgettable generic only to have their heart explode with happiness when they realize that a new Ghostbusters is being made. But then, instead of funny ghost poo poo, the tone remains the same.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

gently caress wondering if the 2009 Game is canon, is Ghostbusters 2 canon? I mean they made the goddamn Statue of Liberty walk into downtown New York City with some pink slime and a Nintendo Advantage joystick.

Forget it being the Walking Dead in the 80's, it was the Walking LEAD (the SoL is made out of lead right???).

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

Playing a more "serious" angle - at least for this trailer - is brilliant because it's avoiding the slapstick "THE POWER OF PATTY COMPELS YOU!" juvenile poo poo that everybody hated from the 2016 GB trailer. Having that level of self-awareness should be a good thing.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

AndyElusive posted:

Forget it being the Walking Dead in the 80's, it was the Walking LEAD (the SoL is made out of lead right???).

She’s made out of steel and copper. That’s why she’s green.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

The Merkinman posted:

I know Answer The Call is a different universe, but is the 2009 video game canon here?

While I would love that it was it's highly unlikely. They'll ignore it because it's much easier than trying to explain anything that happened in it to a majority of people that would be confused.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I really don't understand this need for jokes in the trailer. It's gonna be fine. I'd rather they keep us from hearing one mildly good one over and over and over again.

It's gonna be fine. Relax.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

AndyElusive posted:

gently caress wondering if the 2009 Game is canon, is Ghostbusters 2 canon? I mean they made the goddamn Statue of Liberty walk into downtown New York City with some pink slime and a Nintendo Advantage joystick.

Rudd says that noone's seen a ghost for thirty years, which lines up with II, but not the game (which takes place in 1990 I think).

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
did anyone notice the tower of books in egons house?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

AndyElusive posted:

I'm just going to assume you aren't American because how the gently caress do you think the Statue of Liberty is made out of lead?

Malcolm Excellent posted:

did anyone notice the tower of books in egons house?

Yes, we all did.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Shrapnig posted:

Yes, we all did.

No humanbeing would stack books like that

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
My one thought is that Egon must have already had his daughter by the time of GB2 to make the 30 years thing work.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

My one thought is that Egon must have already had his daughter by the time of GB2 to make the 30 years thing work.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Egon hosed the toaster.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

lmao

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Franchescanado posted:

A lot of this, I think, is cinematography.

The first film was shot by László Kovács, in 1983(?) New York City, which is a very specific time and place that no longer looks that way. You may recognize Kovács look from Easy Rider, Paper Moon, F For Fake, Say Anything, and quite a few family-oriented comedies and dramas.

Ghostbusters 2 was shot by Michael Chapman in 1988(?) New York City. Chapman, you should know, built a career out of gritty dirty NYC, with Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, Scrooged, but also east coast stories like The Lost Boys, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, and Slumber Party Massacre.

Ghostbusters Afterlife was shot by Eric Steelberg, who is Jason Reitman's long-time DP, and did Juno, 500 Days of Summer, Dolemite Is My Name. Already a very different perspective from the other two (which were different in many ways, but have a strong emphasis on location). The film location is Alberta, Canada, so that's an even bigger jump from NYC.

Not saying any of this is bad or good, just pointing out the similarities with the first two DPs and how completely different Steelberg is from them.

Very much agreed on all points. Just as a point of clarification, Ghostbusters shot until the beginning of February 1984 (although the production moved from New York to Los Angeles sometime in December 1983), and because GB2 had to go massive re-shoots (about a third of the movie was junked), it was being re-written and re-shot deep into April 1989 (which caused ILM's team to have an aneurysm, because their deadline kept shifting and they wound up having to offload work to three or four other studios).

GB2 is also an unspeakably ugly movie, which has always surprised me, given Chapman's pedigree. Everything is so smooth and slick and the movie is missing all that beautiful grain that defined the look of the first. That being said, it was shot during a transitional period for film stocks; I believe Chapman shot on the then-recently introduced Eastman 400T 5295 stock, which is a very fast stock, necessary because so much of the movie took place in abject darkness.

The Merkinman posted:

Why would it be?

Timby fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 10, 2019

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

The_Doctor posted:

This is it? No official drop yet though??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN38Uw5K3us

I mean, it seems okay. Having it be a kids adventure instead sounds fine to me.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Timby posted:

Why would it be?

Wasn't it written by Aykroyd and Ramis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Wasn't it written by Aykroyd and Ramis?

Marketing garbage. Four or five Terminal Reality writers did the script, and all went uncredited. From the New York Times:

quote:

“In the beginning they came to me, and I said, ‘I encourage you, go ahead,’ ” he recounted. “They gave me the script. I took it. I rewrote it doing little tiny structural things, mostly bringing back the tone of the original dialogue and the vernacular — the terms, the idiom — but they really had it. Two-thirds of it was there. Then they gave it to Harold. He did the same thing.”

The game is being hawked by Atari as having been written by Mr. Aykroyd and Mr. Ramis, but both men, in addition to the real writers at Terminal Reality, readily acknowledge that is mostly marketing bunk. “They were happy to have our involvement at all,” Mr. Ramis said. “The crassest way I can put it is that they couldn’t have paid us enough to give it the time and attention required to make it as funny as a feature film.”