Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

Weedle posted:

That guy really does have a huge dick. I can't stop thinking about it.

"Cephalopods and tripods meet cute in Antarctica"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Niwrad posted:

Lindelof writes shows for reviewers.

loving lmao this thread is garbage

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Weedle posted:

That guy really does have a huge dick. I can't stop thinking about it.

It seemed normal sized, to me. Maybe on the small side.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

That Italian Guy posted:

My other IIMM is that Dr. Manhattan was supposed to leave our galaxy to create his new Eden, but instead he went to Europa cause we needed Veidt to be able to communicate/be rescued by someone on Earth.

Its a nitpick but I agree, manhattan should have been out in the middle of another galaxy. He could have warped Adrian there, but then Adrian would never have been able to get back without him.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Wolfsheim posted:

In the HJ episode it's that the KKK came up with mind control tech in the 30s only for it to never ever be used or developed or mentioned ever again outside of one very specific instance 90 years later, and in the LG episode its that Adrian recorded mycrimes.mov and sent it to the empty-suit actor president he was using to further his goals and just kinda assumed he could keep the secret

Maybe this is nuts but I suspect the character "Ozymandias" is suffering from the fatal flaw of hubris

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm learning from this thread that no one actually knows what "exposition" is.

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.
Important to remember that Manhattan is not dead as of this episode, just transported. I can't see Manhattan dying, but it does feel like they're setting up transferring his powers to another, which would be dumb, corny, and ultimately a tragedy for whoever does get it.

Unless it's only temporary AND it's given to LG who becomes GodCop and erases the concept of Racism from the minds of Americans and the US Government. That'd be an ending worth talking about.

But really, waiting to see how they play off the pool comment.

Canadian Surf Club fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 9, 2019

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

Maybe this is nuts but I suspect the character "Ozymandias" is suffering from the fatal flaw of hubris

I'm looking on these works and I feel great actually. Perfectly happy.

Arist posted:

If he's in fact writing them for reviewers it's working because I can't find a single bad review from any where.

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 9, 2019

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Yeah, I thought it was dumb to record the video but then I remembered that he didn't even get an hour past his intricate plan to murder three million people and traumatize the globe without needing to seek reassurances that he made the right call. He definitely needs to keep tinkering and also let people know what he did to massage his ego even though that defeats the entire point of his plan.

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer
One of my least favorite of the series. I'll hold full judgement until the final episode.

The thing that mostly bothered me was the Scene with Veidt and Manhattan, and the whole Europa reveal. It all just seemed too thin and basic with Veidts just ridiculous quick acceptance of whatever Manhattan was gonna give him. And lesser so the misdirection that made it seem he was imprisoned seems all pointless, which i guess should of been more clear to me at the d of the trial scene.
though, maybe it's just Manhattan keeping him busy, until Doc needs him to save him.

The Veidt doctor who impression was a bit too capaldi, but overall a cool touch.

pigz fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Dec 9, 2019

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

HBO has a long standing tradition of having shows start really good then absolutely gently caress up the ending so this won’t surprise me when they gently caress it up eight at the finish line.

Outside of GoT, what shows? If anything HBO has a reputation for some of the greatest endings ever (Six Feet Under and The Sopranos). I would say their endings are on par with almost every other network, if not better.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Tender Bender posted:

Yeah, I thought it was dumb to record the video but then I remembered that he didn't even get an hour past his intricate plan to murder three million people and traumatize the globe without needing to seek reassurances that he made the right call. He definitely needs to keep tinkering and also let people know what he did to massage his ego even though that defeats the entire point of his plan.

Yeah, this is pretty much the point of his entire character all the way back to the book. He's the "smartest man in the world". He's also a narcissist and authoritarian, regardless of his intentions. It's a characterization that might be even more important now than when the book was released, because every institution and aspect of our society is increasingly dependent on a data infrastructure built and owned by Adrian Veidts.

There's no metric by which it's bad writing; it's in-character, it serves the themes of the work (Watchmen is an anarchist political treatise, a warning against superheroes and the cultures that create them), and it in some way resembles or reveals the world around us. If there's anything wrong with it, it's that it's too on-the-nose.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

zoux posted:

If he's in fact writing them for reviewers it's working because I can't find a single bad review from any where.

Maybe you should check the rotten tomatoes user score :smug:

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
It's a shame they tied the 7K to Rorschach's Journal. A contemporary theme (meme?) is loss of faith in experts and the delegitimization of institutions, and it would have been interesting to see that play out in the Watchmen universe via an underground anarchist(/terrorist/whatever) network who know the truth about 11/2.

Have this play out against the themes of algorithmic perception control and technocratic authoritarianism and voila, season 2.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Maybe you should check the rotten tomatoes user score :smug:

lmao I didn't know that Watchmen was part of the Star Wars universe

Also Sepinwall tried to do the non-linear time gimmick in his article and I don't know if it works but E for Effort.

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 9, 2019

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

zoux posted:

Good post. I actually snorted.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Arist posted:

Time is a flat circle, old friend.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

pigz posted:

One of my least favorite of the series. I'll hold full judgement until the final episode.

The thing that mostly bothered me was the Scene with Veidt and Manhattan, and the whole Europa reveal. It all just seemed too thin and basic with Veidts just ridiculous quick acceptance of whatever Manhattan was gonna give him. And lesser so the misdirection that made it seem he was imprisoned seems all pointless, which i guess should of been more clear to me at the d of the trial scene.
though, maybe it's just Manhattan keeping him busy, until Doc needs him to save him.

The Veidt doctor who impression was a bit too capaldi, but overall a cool touch.

He is imprisoned, Manhattan is no dummy he doesn't want Veidt running around free for 10 years of Tachyon Time-blindness. He was just nice enough to offer him a prison he might be interested in.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

just another posted:

It's a shame they tied the 7K to Rorschach's Journal. A contemporary theme (meme?) is loss of faith in experts and the delegitimization of institutions, and it would have been interesting to see that play out in the Watchmen universe via an underground anarchist(/terrorist/whatever) network who know the truth about 11/2.

Have this play out against the themes of algorithmic perception control and technocratic authoritarianism and voila, season 2.

Roschach's jounral was always going to be mainly followed by white supremacists because of who published it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Whoops mis read

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Roschach's jounral was always going to be mainly followed by white supremacists because of who published it.

Uh, and also who he was

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly I was worried as hell last week about bringing Dr. Manhattan into this story as a character who personally knows the protagonist, and I don't get why the thread is choosing now to poo poo on that choice because imo they basically pulled it off as well as they possibly could have.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Uh, and also who he was

I mean, yeah, but I'm struggling to recall anything Rorshach says that's more xenophobic than his endorsement of the New Frontiersman.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

zoux posted:

Also Sepinwall tried to do the non-linear time gimmick in his article and I don't know if it works but E for Effort.

I don't understand why it has so many 1 star user reviews (especially from first time user reviewers). Hmm let me investigate the actual user reviews:

I did find one 1 star reviewer with more than one review. He gave Captain Marvel 1 star, cause you know those liberals in Hollywood.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 9, 2019

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
To me "Is Rorschach a cool & good protagonist?" is like this shows version of GRRM asking the GOT showrunners who Jon Snows parents are. Lindelof answered right and I suspect Snyder would probably answer wrong.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

nate fisher posted:

I don't understand why it has so many 1 start user reviews (especially from first time user reviewers). Let me check the comments:

Anytime you see a disparity between critic and audience reviews (on RT at least) that large, it's always review bombing from spiritual incels.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

zoux posted:

Anytime you see a disparity between critic and audience reviews (on RT at least) that large, it's always review bombing from spiritual incels.

Ha I was just being sarcastic. I knew exactly what filth I would find in there.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

"It'd be a good show if it was more about how black people are just as bad but instead it's about some sort of idea about how trauma can be passed from generation to generation as a metaphor for minority experiences in America since time immemorial? One freakin star"

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I will say that I don’t think they made Mr. Philips or Ms. Crookshanks do any actual nudity, which is a huge stride for hbo and its history of mandatory nudity. I’m pretty sure their asses were cgi’d on last night, and Mr. Philips had a stunt dick for the play in episode 2.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

zoux posted:

There's probably a fair amount of review bombing from the Alan Moore-was-robbed this-thing-should-not-exist die hards.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Arist posted:

Have you listened to Lindelof talk about his shows? The guy is obsessed with what reviewers think. This is from the Leftovers when they interviewed him about that weird 10 minute scene to start season 2.

quote:

The joke in the writer’s room — well, maybe it wasn’t a joke, since writers use jokes to reflect pain. We all listen to the Grantland podcast with Andy [Greenwald] and Chris [Ryan]. And we love it and think they’re brilliant. But they both loving hate The Leftovers. So the joke was, “What can we do to completely and totally piss off those guys?” There was a lot of, “Oh, Greenwald’s gonna love this” going around in the writer’s room.

Like who gives a gently caress what Andy Greenwald thinks about your show?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Thranguy posted:

There's probably a fair amount of review bombing from the Alan Moore-was-robbed this-thing-should-not-exist die hards.

They should limit the number of sockpuppets Alan Moore is allowed to register

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

zoux posted:

They should limit the number of sockpuppets Alan Moore is allowed to register

:laffo: that you think moore would use a computer instead of a doing a blood sacrifice curse from his cave

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Thranguy posted:

There's not enough of those people left to register among a review bomb spurred by white racial animus.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I mean, yeah, but I'm struggling to recall anything Rorshach says that's more xenophobic than his endorsement of the New Frontiersman.

I'm half with you. Rorschach the character isn't as personally racist as the 7K, but the ideology he represents (right libertarianism) fosters racism and enables fascism, and is popular among racists who want to attribute whatever successes, comforts, etc they have to their merits as individuals rather than any kind of socioeconomic pattern or institutional structure. He's essentially a useful idiot, an unwitting martyr for a cause he might not personally have joined. The point is that Seventh Kavalries love Rorschachs and Rorschachs create Seventh Kavalries, whether they're in lockstep on every individual issue or not.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

I'm half with you. Rorschach the character isn't as personally racist as the 7K, but the ideology he represents (right libertarianism) fosters racism and enables fascism, and is popular among racists who want to attribute whatever successes, comforts, etc they have to their merits as individuals rather than any kind of socioeconomic pattern or institutional structure. He's essentially a useful idiot, an unwitting martyr for a cause he might not personally have joined. The point is that Seventh Kavalries love Rorschachs and Rorschachs create Seventh Kavalries, whether they're in lockstep on every individual issue or not.

Right, yeah, I can agree with all of this.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Niwrad posted:

Like who gives a gently caress what Andy Greenwald thinks about your show?
Leftovers season 1 was extremely divisive and it's not surprising at all that a group of writers would have The Guy Who Hated Them The Most living rent-free in their heads.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I will say that I don’t think they made Mr. Philips or Ms. Crookshanks do any actual nudity, which is a huge stride for hbo and its history of mandatory nudity. I’m pretty sure their asses were cgi’d on last night, and Mr. Philips had a stunt dick for the play in episode 2.

They were naked in the easy bake microwave oven Veidt had them in.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Honestly I was worried as hell last week about bringing Dr. Manhattan into this story as a character who personally knows the protagonist, and I don't get why the thread is choosing now to poo poo on that choice because imo they basically pulled it off as well as they possibly could have.

Because some of us disagree with your opinion.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
It's been a while since I've read the book but from what I gather Rorschach probably was a racist, just not an all-consuming one. Like if you asked him he would probably say being a minority was a contributing factor to an already immoral persons immorality. Aka he's an average American conservative.

The big difference being that Rorschach would have no shame telling you so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Leftovers season 1 was extremely divisive and it's not surprising at all that a group of writers would have The Guy Who Hated Them The Most living rent-free in their heads.

Leftovers season 1 was really good and a few bad reviewers were exposed by it. Those same reviewers had to magically backtrack and say they loved seasons 2 and 3 when it was clear the show was terrific.