Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What word best describes your year?
This poll is closed.
Twee 4 1.28%
Goose 34 10.90%
Strand 22 7.05%
Bowsette 115 36.86%
poo poo 46 14.74%
Kirby 31 9.94%
Sonic 14 4.49%
I told you I don't like these polls 46 14.74%
Total: 312 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I should probably be working on lesson plans but instead I'm drafting my Top 9 Games of 2019 list, those kids can go gently caress themselves!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

There’s a way to combine the two...

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Imagine having the time to play 10 games in an entire year.

i definitely played at least ten but heck if i can remember everything

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I sincerely doubt any one of these kids could speak even in passing about the thematic significance of Jungian self-realization in Control.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I usually scoff at the goons who keep journals and spreadsheets for their hobbies but maybe I need to start doing that too, I can’t remember anything

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I've played way more than 10 games this year but I don't quite think anything deserves the #10 spot so this is me rushing through Bully to make sure I can squeeze one more game in before new year.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I said come in! posted:

The reports i've seen from people who have been playing the beta, are that it's a janky messy game. This is Mechwarrior loving 5, the launch should be extreme levels of hype, instead there is nothing. This is a series that defined PC gaming in the loving 90s.

it’s by pgi, there’s a reason no one cares

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

exquisite tea posted:

I should probably be working on lesson plans but instead I'm drafting my Top 9 Games of 2019 list, those kids can go gently caress themselves!

Have the kids make their top 10 games list and why then brutally own them with red ink in the margins when grading the papers

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Since this is also the end of a decade there should also be another Top Games of the 2010s thread for maximum grief potential.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
there's already a death stranding thread, so

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

exquisite tea posted:

Since this is also the end of a decade there should also be another Top Games of the 2010s thread for maximum grief potential.

I just spent all that time putting a thread together and now you want me to start another? :shepicide:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

I usually scoff at the goons who keep journals and spreadsheets for their hobbies but maybe I need to start doing that too, I can’t remember anything

I just kept a text file on my desktop and updated it when I beat another game

in 2019 I played something like 60 games/completed 44 of them (I'm still playing like 6 of the unfinished ones)/got 20 platinum trophies

There were some periods like July - August where I basically only played Fire Emblem/Judgement because they are two super long games and not much else was out (I never even finished Three Houses) and also Xenoblade 2 took me like three months to beat playing it for an hour or two after work most days

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I'm not good with time management or recording what I play and depression popups make all drive to do anything a Herculean task sometimes. This is also why I appreciate short games in my adult years, I can beat them in a few settings. I still like long games but I also have a much smaller completion rate when it comes to those.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Wait do you need to beat a game to be allowed to have it enter your Top 10?

Uh oh...

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Jay Rust posted:

I must watch my numbers go up

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

I really enjoyed the rainy intro to Link To The Past, the jungle in Breath Of The Wild, and the foggy haunted swamps of Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King. Can anyone recommend a game with a similar vibe to those? I'm willing to try something that isn't a Zelda clone, though that is definitely the first thing I think of. The second is probably some of the environmental puzzles in Golden Sun games.

I'd like lots of rain/water, but also lots of greenery/plant life. There's plenty of games that use rain to set a greyish depressing mood, but I'm more interested in capturing the joy of hiking around in a nice park and seeing how the water brings out all the colors. Dark Souls and Bloodborne definitely have swamps, but my understanding is that it's pretty arduous trudging through them. It might be possible to sell me on a Far Cry game, but I don't really feel interested in playing them after watching the Noah Caldwell-Gervais videos.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

My first thought is maybe Crysis? It's got problems with AI and difficulty, but the gameplay is very open ended and it's still a bit of a looker.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

avoraciopoctules posted:

I really enjoyed the rainy intro to Link To The Past, the jungle in Breath Of The Wild, and the foggy haunted swamps of Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King. Can anyone recommend a game with a similar vibe to those? I'm willing to try something that isn't a Zelda clone, though that is definitely the first thing I think of. The second is probably some of the environmental puzzles in Golden Sun games.

I'd like lots of rain/water, but also lots of greenery/plant life. There's plenty of games that use rain to set a greyish depressing mood, but I'm more interested in capturing the joy of hiking around in a nice park and seeing how the water brings out all the colors. Dark Souls and Bloodborne definitely have swamps, but my understanding is that it's pretty arduous trudging through them. It might be possible to sell me on a Far Cry game, but I don't really feel interested in playing them after watching the Noah Caldwell-Gervais videos.

Eastshade

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

CVS2 is the only fighting game that should exist
It's so loving good

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I already have my GOTY list written, i'm just waiting for the thread.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i hope its okay i put my list in the thread already

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It completely passed me by that Tekken 7 has a season 3 pass. :hellyeah:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

I already have my GOTY list written, i'm just waiting for the thread.

Should be up soon

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I said come in! posted:

It completely passed me by that Tekken 7 has a season 3 pass. :hellyeah:

The new frame data and punishment training is awesome.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Jay Rust posted:

I appreciate the depth of that year in review OP because I literally don't remember half of the things that happened in January-March and the other half feel like they happened several years ago

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Rarity posted:

I just spent all that time putting a thread together and now you want me to start another? :shepicide:

It's just a 120 post OP, what's the problem?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

avoraciopoctules posted:

the xenoblade games. noctilum in x is one of my fave game zones

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I appreciate the depth of that year in review OP because I literally don't remember half of the things that happened in January-March and the other half feel like they happened several years ago

if you told me the epic store is only a year old I'd call you a liar

and then I'd look like an idiot

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Lol the esports dress was this year

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

worst game of the year: quake 2 RTX. because quake 2 was already rear end and making it look pretty doesn't change that

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

exquisite tea posted:

This, because my roommate and I compiled a list that was over a hundred games long and spent several days working it down to a top 10 of the decade list and I need to post it somewhere. Although it was technically a "Top 10 Non-EDF Game of the Decade" list because we didn't want half the list to be EDF games.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

homeless snail posted:

worst game of the year: quake 2 RTX. because quake 2 was already rear end and making it look pretty doesn't change that

The RTX update actually made it look worst.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Looper posted:

the xenoblade games. noctilum in x is one of my fave game zones

That looks like it might be a really good idea to check out, thanks! I was considering Assassin’s Creed: Black Flag after looking at some jungle screenshots, but Noctilum looks AMAZING. Kinda reminds me of a swamp area I stumbled into playing the free trial of FF 14 on my last laptop, or the first zone after the tutorial of Drakan: The Ancient’s Gate. But this tops them with some really cool colorful glowing flowers. The combat seems reasonably interesting too, and eventually upgrading to a flight suit will be nice.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I can't wait for how much MW5 is gonna fail to disappoint us

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Should I eat a steak burrito or a chicken burrito

Or both (like still one burrito but with steak and chicken in it, not 2 individual burritos 1 of each type)

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Same, the Mermaids stream feels like it was ages ago, those were some wild days.

If it weren't so taxing I'd wonder if Rarity could do a monthly "Notable things in gaming" post or thread because that's an excellent OP and she clearly keeps better tabs on a lot of things we miss.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

@Firstaidkite
Cook the oldest meat that hasn’t expired. That’s my pro gamer optimization tip.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

So King of Cards finally comes out tomorrow, huh?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I need to figure out whether Mana Khemia 2 has a shot at my top 10, and thus decide whether it's safe to write it now or if I have to wait. Last year the games I played in December ranked really highly so I snuck in at the last minute with my ranking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

avoraciopoctules posted:

That looks like it might be a really good idea to check out, thanks! I was considering Assassin’s Creed: Black Flag after looking at some jungle screenshots, but Noctilum looks AMAZING. Kinda reminds me of a swamp area I stumbled into playing the free trial of FF 14 on my last laptop, or the first zone after the tutorial of Drakan: The Ancient’s Gate. But this tops them with some really cool colorful glowing flowers. The combat seems reasonably interesting too, and eventually upgrading to a flight suit will be nice.

i will say, xenoblade x has a very slapped together main story and some of the systems are a bit janky but the sidequests are great and exploring the world was a lot of fun