Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Oh yeah, do not store jackfruit in the open unless you want your room to smell like it forever. I mean, it doesn't smell bad but it hangs around more than anything else I've ever come across.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolanimedad
Apr 30, 2007
sup itt
It has no taste on its own (raw); it needs good spices. I would like Dino to post some great kathal recipe now.
I buy whole (ripe) ones too and it’s never too much. The real problem is using up so many pounds of seeds. I think they’d be good as a hearty, autumnal soup. I find the smell of cooked jackfruit totally disgusting despite loving eating it. Dates are my favorite thing but I don’t much care for their smell either. Not a normal relation.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Speaking of Dino, I'm just making a pot of his raajma and my place smells heavenly, as promised. I've never made a proper curry from proper whole spices because my SO really just isn't into Indian cuisine and we usually go Italian or Mexican. I've been meaning to introduce a curry that isn't heavy on turmeric (she hates it, for whatever reason) and I think this might be the one to finally bring her around. :3:

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
just buy the jackfruit canned in brine. it's very good in loads of stuff especially chili.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

barbecue at the folks posted:

Speaking of Dino, I'm just making a pot of his raajma and my place smells heavenly, as promised. I've never made a proper curry from proper whole spices because my SO really just isn't into Indian cuisine and we usually go Italian or Mexican. I've been meaning to introduce a curry that isn't heavy on turmeric (she hates it, for whatever reason) and I think this might be the one to finally bring her around. :3:

Well that looks delicious, I think I'll make that today thank you

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

If you're gonna do shredded young jackfruit the best way is to simmer it for a good long while in a sauce to soften it up and really push the sauce's flavor into it. Plus add some carmelization.

I've had pretty decent luck with shredded jackfruit Korean BBQ tacos, frex.

Segue
May 23, 2007

As it's heading into the holiday season, I'll be hosting friends and cooking vegan food to accommodate everyone. I figured this would be a good opportunity to open up discussiob about creating more traditionally North American vegan holiday food since I mostly cook Asian cuisine on the day to day.

Savoury foods are relatively easy (planning chili and cornbread) but when it comes to sweeter territory I usually find vegan substitutes lacking.

Does anyone have some knockout holiday cookie recipes?

I'll also be attempting a vegan eggnog, which will be a mix of oat and coconut milk and various spices (nutmeg, allspice, cloves, cinnamon) which I think should give a good texture and flavour. Has anyone attempted something similar? Any suggestions are welcome.

Thunk
Oct 15, 2007
Well, there's timing for you. I was just about to ask about this gingerbread recipe.

2 1/4 cup ww flour
1/2 tbsp baking soda
1 tsp ginger
1/2 cup molasses
1/3 cup orange juice (and add more as needed, because this isn't enough liquid)
Dash cinnamon

Mix dry, add wet. Roll into 1-inch balls, put on greased cookie sheet, flatten as desired. Bake on 300 about 10 minutes.

I'm pretty sure that's vegan, but before I put out a tray of cookies with a "Vegan" sign on it at the office party, I want to make sure all those ingredients count.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

My mum makes gingerbread cocktails using sugar syrup and a ginger liqueur that are really tasty. Nice and cool christmas drinks (probably could make a gingerbread hot toddy or something if you are in a cold climate)

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Thunk posted:

Well, there's timing for you. I was just about to ask about this gingerbread recipe.

2 1/4 cup ww flour
1/2 tbsp baking soda
1 tsp ginger
1/2 cup molasses
Dash cinnamon

Mix dry, add wet. Roll into 1-inch balls, put on greased cookie sheet, flatten as desired. Bake on 300 about 10 minutes.

I'm pretty sure that's vegan, but before I put out a tray of cookies with a "Vegan" sign on it at the office party, I want to make sure all those ingredients count.
That is vegan, yes.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Thunk posted:

2 1/4 cup ww flour
1/2 tbsp baking soda
1 tsp ginger
1/2 cup molasses
Dash cinnamon

it never hurts to check, but i gotta be honest: i'm kinda baffled which ingredient here you think might be an animal product

Thunk
Oct 15, 2007

OMGVBFLOL posted:

it never hurts to check, but i gotta be honest: i'm kinda baffled which ingredient here you think might be an animal product

It would not shock me to learn that half the stuff on that list was actually made using some obscure pig or cow by-product and I was the only one who didn't know. And I don't want to lie, especially not to the percentage of vegans who'd actually care.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Read the ingredients, most of those should only have 1 or 2 things listed, then I guess Google any weird looking chemicals that might be used as a preservative.

Segue
May 23, 2007

Thanks for that! I know sometimes sugar has bone meal or something for processing but hell I've met vegans who didn't know most bagels have eggs in them so I tend to go for honest effort over militant elimination. Otherwise it gets exhausting.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Thunk posted:

It would not shock me to learn that half the stuff on that list was actually made using some obscure pig or cow by-product and I was the only one who didn't know. And I don't want to lie, especially not to the percentage of vegans who'd actually care.

Orange Juice
Ingredients:
Water, milk powder, orange juice concentrate

Segue posted:

Thanks for that! I know sometimes sugar has bone meal or something for processing but hell I've met vegans who didn't know most bagels have eggs in them so I tend to go for honest effort over militant elimination. Otherwise it gets exhausting.

You can look at the bottom of ingredients and it'll say contains MILK. The other thing you should look out for is gelatin. Besides that its pretty easy!

Segue
May 23, 2007

Since learning a lot of wines aren't vegan I trust nothing

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Thunk posted:

Segue posted:

ah, yeah that makes sense. i didn't think about ingredients or reagents

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Depends if you think bone-char refined sugar is vegan.

Also:

yes, molasses is typically vegan, but isn’t always.

https://vegfaqs.com/is-molasses-vegan/

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Segue posted:

A lot of beers are not either.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

I bought this and there's a lot of really good looking recipes.

Any recommendations?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Zenithe posted:

I bought this and there's a lot of really good looking recipes.

Any recommendations?
Joke answer: breakfast papaya from chapter 12 (dumbest recipe in the book).

Real answer: eh, anything! Just pick something at random.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
https://imgur.com/a/TapbWUy

Soup made.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
We had an all-vegan Thanksgiving and it was SO GOOD.

- Mushroom wellington
- Mashed potatoes and mushroom gravy
- Green bean casserole
- Cranberry sauce (homemade, of course)
- Apple pie with homemade crust (Martha Stewart's recipe!)

It was all so good and I can 1000% vouch for those recipes.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
Bookmarked the wellington recipe, that looks lovely.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
dino, that's the same exact brand of hing I used to use.

I've never made a big centerpiece dish for Thanksgiving since I think there are enough good vegan sides to feed a group of any size but that mushroom wellington does look kind of fun.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

dino, that's the same exact brand of hing I used to use.

I've never made a big centerpiece dish for Thanksgiving since I think there are enough good vegan sides to feed a group of any size but that mushroom wellington does look kind of fun.

Same here, but less because of vegan sides and more because of where I'm from. For me, the main dish /is/ the rice with whatever (beans, spices, whatever), and everything else is the side, /including the protein/. And when I was watching the others eat their thanksgiving dinner, they more or less were behaving similarly. They'd heap on the mashed potatoes (or in our case, those masala potatoes that I had made, because I find mashed potatoes to be boring), the stuffing, and the bread (boyfriend made this Hungarian potato bread with caraway seeds in it that was an utter delight), and then a few small pieces of the meat (or in my case and his sister's case, the spiced fried tofu I'd made), a bunch of different veggie sides (green beans, sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower) and go to town. I almost felt like people seemed more excited to try the weird and unusual sides I'd come up with, the traditional sides that the boyfriend's parents came up with, and the turkey was a bit of an afterthought.

I use that brand of hing, because /everyone/ from the region I'm from does as well. I've seen Northerners be pretty brand blind when it comes to hing. Some even buy ones that have turmeric added (like wtf is the point, you already /have/ turmeric in your cabinet). Everyone from my mum, to aunts, uncles, cousins, in laws, and in between who's some stripe of TamBram will have a jar of LG, and will buy it if they can find it locally. If they can't, they'll either have someone bring a case over from India, or find someone who does have access and pick it up when they visit them. I recall coming back from trips to India, and my mum throwing a couple of cases of the LG into the suitcase with the spices that she had a pain finding locally. She'd buy specific regional variants of certain spices, have them ground at the local spice miller to make her own spice blends, and then bring those back. She'd source weird herbal poo poo for her hair, usually shikakai and amla along with other random stuff, and have that ground down and packed too. She'd snag a few packets of Idhayam sesame (also known as "gingelly") oil, because that was the brand everyone in the family used since time immemorial, and she wasn't about to spend $6 for a litre of the stuff locally. And of course, the LG Hing.

TamBrams tend to be pretty brand loyal, no matter where they end up.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

COOL CORN posted:

We had an all-vegan Thanksgiving and it was SO GOOD.

- Mushroom wellington
- Mashed potatoes and mushroom gravy
- Green bean casserole
- Cranberry sauce (homemade, of course)
- Apple pie with homemade crust (Martha Stewart's recipe!)

It was all so good and I can 1000% vouch for those recipes.

hell i might make this for just a regular dinner on a day off, this looks awesome

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

I think I posted in this thread a couple years back asking for a vegan latke hack and got some good advice, but this is just to say that I've found THE vegan latke hack: vegan mayo as egg substitute. Hope this doesn't violate the fake food prohibition, though vegan mayo is a pretty straightforward product. These turned out perfect. What I did:

Peel and grate 2 large russet potatoes. Add a heaping teaspoon of salt and let drain in a colander for ten minutes, then wring out in a clean dish towel until as dry as possible.

Mix up 1/4c vegan mayo, about a tablespoon of flour (you could also use matzo meal), and 2 finely chopped scallions. Mix in grated potatoes thoroughly.

Make whatever size latkes you want (this made 12 hors d'oeuvre-sized latkes at 2 tbsp potato mixture apiece) and fry in more vegetable oil than seems sensible until crispy and browned. Drain on paper towels and serve with applesauce.

I'm not vegan, though I feed vegans often, and I'm still not going back to using eggs. Excessive moisture is the biggest impediment to effective latke manufacture, IMO, and using mayo eliminates that problem altogether if you've dried the potatoes enough.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Are most vegan mayo's the same?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Skwirl posted:

Are most vegan mayo's the same?
Hellman's is the best tasting, in my opinion.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Hellman's is good. Making your own is easy too but I've never done it. Like, soy milk, canola oil, lemon juice and dijon.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

mayo is an emulsion; there's fat-binding proteins in egg yolks, much more than are actually needed to keep the fat content of an egg yolk emulsified, so breaking up the yolk with a whisk and then whisking in a bunch of oil and a little acid for flavor and to help keep it stable results in mayo.

the thing that makes vegan mayo so tricky is that plants don't need to hold nearly as much fat in suspension as eggs do, so the proteins used to emulsify the mayo aren't as good at it, either intrinsically or because it's hard to get them in sufficient concentration

soy milk sounds like a good start, but i'd probably experiment with some plant protein isolates in addition to the soy. iirc the first vegan mayos used pea protein isolate, which is easy enough to find as a supplement

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
I forgot about aquafaba, you can use that instead of course.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I've made hundreds and hundreds of vegan latkes and I don't use any weird stuff like mayo or aquafaba or whatever. The recipe is this:

Shredded potatoes, liquid squeezed out and starch added back in if desired
Shredded onions if desired
Salt and pepper
A bit of flour or matzo meal as needed

Mix and fry.

Works just fine!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yeah I think my go to recipe every year was basically that with an egg cracked in for binding, but I'm going to try some flax instead. How does flax fry up?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
You can just leave the flax out!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

TychoCelchuuu posted:

You can just leave the flax out!

Fair point!

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Honestly vegan mayo is pretty easy to make if you have an immersion blender. Ratio is 1/3 cup soy milk (and it has to be soy milk), 3/4 tsp white vinegar, 2/3 cup oil. Any other seasonings you add are bonus.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
I bought 5 pounds of cashews cuz they were on sale ($22 for the bag) and my first attempt at cheese REALLY sucked, please share your favorite cashew cheese recipes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

scuz posted:

I bought 5 pounds of cashews cuz they were on sale ($22 for the bag) and my first attempt at cheese REALLY sucked, please share your favorite cashew cheese recipes.

Also curious about this. I tried a few recipes from miyokos book and they turned out bad