Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Suplex Liberace posted:

read the book dammit. games are all insanely bad nowadays anyway

Life is Strange 2 is super good and also deals with some really heavy issues like injustice in the justice system, police brutality, child homelessness and being a bi male POC in America in the modern age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

no idea if anyone still plays 2k19 but i've uploaded the following shows for download on ps4

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Dec 6, 2019

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

STONE COLD 64 posted:

no idea if anyone still plays 2k19 but i've uploaded the following shows for download on ps4

I actually bought it for $5 a few months ago and haven’t opened it yet but I’ll snap those up when I do

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Heyyo it's Thursdays and the best part of Thursdays besides arguing about ratings is electronic wrestling. So come and see. https://www.twitch.tv/gameprowrestling

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Ran through a bit of Fire Promoter and Stardom signed Antonio Inoki.

Honestly I can see it happening.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
This guy does some cool stuff with No Mercy

https://twitter.com/aki_evolution/status/1203386761411538948?s=21

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Man I know it makes sense to have to beat your opponent into a bloody unconscious mess before you can even attempt escape (or else the CPU gets locked into endless escapes and can climb faster than you even if you start climbing while it is falling to the canvas), but the cage match mission in Fire Pro World really wasn't any fun at all.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

cage matches in single player wrestling games are the equivalent of the sewer level in SNES era rpgs

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

STONE COLD 64 posted:

These are really great. I've fully converted 2K19 into an AEW game thanks to your stuff.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Finally sat down and started playing Fire Pro Wrestling World and messing with edits and I am having a lot of fun so far. But I keep running into weird...balancing issues I guess when setting up CPU fights with my edits. Is it just me or if there is a disparity in points/parameters between edits, the game skews the fight to favor the edit with the lesser points? I've had instances of 200+ wrestlers getting squashed by 150 or so edits.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

its about balancing and also the cpu logic. you can have a lot of high stats but if your wrestler is a dumb big lug with no psychology they're probably not gonna fare too well in cpu vs cpu matches.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

So CPU Logic > Points? Got it

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

STONE COLD 64 posted:

its about balancing and also the cpu logic. you can have a lot of high stats but if your wrestler is a dumb big lug with no psychology they're probably not gonna fare too well in cpu vs cpu matches.

This is why I've largely stuck to my own Edits. Edits of vastly different styles can sometimes produce really lopsided results. It helps I'm mostly just want to make my own fictional wrestlers though. Generally I'd suggest sticking to one of the more prolific creators who does RL stuff you're interested in.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Also points can get bloated in weird ways. They're not a 100% accurate gauge of strength.

For one example, cruiserweight and lucha characters can have their points inflated by their fast move speed, turnbuckle climbing, and corner run up abilities.

Or the character could have points in a parameter they rarely, of never use(the biggest offenders are usually the Entertainment and MMA skills).

Fire pro character creation is a delicate, and often confusing, balancing act between points, logic, moveset, and fighting style.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
One semi-hidden mechanic in FPW is that larger characters deal more damage to and take less damage from smaller characters, so a character being Giant size is a boost to their power that costs no points. The Giant fighting/return style also makes a character powerful (at the cost of making them use more breath) at no cost though I'm not sure exactly what the mechanism is there. I think it just makes them more likely to reverse moves, but it definitely has a real effect.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Yeah, speaking as someone who spent a couple years obsessively making MMA edits and kept being dumbfounded at how often 141-point Masaaki Satake would beat the poo poo out of 186-point Kazushi Sakuraba, CPU logic and focus is a big deal but the Fire Pro gods also just like it when dumb poo poo happens.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

And then there is Panther style.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
I don't think any single person ever truly understood all the arcane interlocking systems of Fire Pro Wrestling. Which is why I have to do a ton of balancing every time I make a new edit.

I found that the most deciding factor, and this should be obvious, was the number of moves that can end a match and how often they happen. You have a surprising amount of control over this due to being able to tweak CPU logic and choose to use versions of moves that transition into a pin or not. Everything else, even the more overpowered Skills, matters comparatively little.

The only thing I found that truly makes someone obviously more powerful is using Giant as both the Wrestling and Return style as it makes wrestlers way more likely to successfully counter a move. This is a pisstake Giant/Giant I made shortly after Brock Lesnar beat Kofi for the title. In case you want to convince yourself of how stupid that is.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 10, 2019

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

like I just want a guy that punches you in the mouth real good

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I miss create a finisher so much. There was no purer wrestling game experience than giving your guy a finisher that was just ten rapid fire kicks to the balls.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

flashy_mcflash posted:

I miss create a finisher so much. There was no purer wrestling game experience than giving your guy a finisher that was just ten rapid fire kicks to the balls.

I always liked the ones that start like you're gonna do a powerbomb, gingerly set the dude down and then BAMMO dick kick!

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

coconono posted:

I always liked the ones that start like you're gonna do a powerbomb, gingerly set the dude down and then BAMMO dick kick!

Reminds me of the wrestling revolution 2d moveset where they had a ton of piledriver to x and powerbomb to x so you could have your finisher be hoisting a dude up for a powerbomb just to give him a snapmare.

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

also annoying your friends by turning the finisher speed down to the lowest, and having it last about 3 minutes real time

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I remember when create a finisher debuted, I had a finisher where the wrestler did a bunch of taunts in a row, then finished off the opponent with a body slam.

Followup versions changed it so it had to be a power slam instead, which seemed less silly.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I remember from VGCW that there was a glitch that caused a certain sequence of moves in the finisher to do 100% damage to all parts, which guaranteed a win.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Sky Shadowing posted:

I remember from VGCW that there was a glitch that caused a certain sequence of moves in the finisher to do 100% damage to all parts, which guaranteed a win.

Never forget the Glitch Bomb.

The funny thing about that was that normal custome finishers did almost no damage and everyone who had them lost most of their matches.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

CascadeBeta posted:

Reminds me of the wrestling revolution 2d moveset where they had a ton of piledriver to x and powerbomb to x so you could have your finisher be hoisting a dude up for a powerbomb just to give him a snapmare.

rip nl slip

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

rip nl slip again

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The slowest finisher belonged to my personal hero come, the ultimate crack smoking Warlock.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
More games need to be like Wrestling Revolution and let you set your entire moveset to random.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Wrestling Revolution: Where a tables match is actually just a normal match with tables in it.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

CascadeBeta posted:

Wrestling Revolution: Where a tables match is actually just a normal match with tables in it.

On the flipside of this, I really enjoy the single lighttube match vs the match with a million lighttubes.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."

Rhonne posted:

More games need to be like Wrestling Revolution and let you set your entire moveset to random.

So many botches, but so much fun to just have a referee use a chair and hit the "face" and then when the heel uses the chair on the face, the referee calls it a "DQ" and the match ends

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Rhonne posted:

More games need to be like Wrestling Mpire and let you blow your feet off

Takuan
May 6, 2007

So I gave the NJPW card trading thing a shot, and yea, I don't get it and don't get why other people would ever spend money on it. So I'm having an 'everything must be traded' sale!

My ID is ziflcv

Trade me anything for anything! Go ahead and trade me a 1 star Mark Briscoe for my 4 Star ZSJ, I don't give a gently caress! I'll keep the app installed until around Christmas, or until all my 3 star cards are gone, whichever comes first.

Now for something that's actually entertaining:

Tonight on W.A.V.E. Pro-Wrestling it's W.A.V.E. Warfare! It's like Aztec Warfare but... y'know, W.A.V.E.-y. 30 wrestlers enter, 1 leaves with a World Ultraweight Championship. Come and see!
https://www.twitch.tv/gameprowrestling

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The only part of NJPW collection I'm really annoyed by so far is a lack of more low level collection incentives. Yes, there are missions, but specific card goals would be neat, like missions to complete a faction or set. Also it's kind of a pain to figure out what cards you're looking for since if you don't have a card it's just blank in the album. At least give me a name.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cleared the "survive a landmine" mission on Firepro, ended it by my bloodied up wrestler staggering to his feet like a minute after getting knocked on his back by the 10 minute timed explosion, then clambering over the bloody corpse of his opponent to cover him as the equally bloodied ref finally righted himself from the ground and managed just enough strength to make the 3 count. Then my guy just lay there in a bloody mess with his still motionless opponent as the crowd roared their approval.

Game loving owns.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I just burst out laughing, remembering a WWE 2K 11 story called “the Goldust mysteries.” It had Dustin as a detective, Vance archer as his sidekick who would only talk about how intense it was, and a transliterated Drew McIntyre accent.
It also had, about 40 minutes into the storyline, a cutaway to king and JR. they were never featured again, not that I remember, but had this exchange.
KING: hey JR, what do you think about all these gold dust mysteries?
JR: Frankly king, I don’t care if he lives or dies!

It then returned to the story.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Wonder whatever happened to that Vance Archer loser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Golden Bee posted:

KING: hey JR, what do you think about all these gold dust mysteries?
JR: Frankly king, I don’t care if he lives or dies!

It's ok JR, everybody dies :unsmith: