Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading
Luigi's Mansion 3 is, in a word, a delight. What really deserves praise is how wonderfully expressive Luigi and his friends are both in cinematics and in-game. It's super polished aesthetically and very cute and funny. The voice work is minimalist (no one ever says more than like, 4 words at once) but the execution is marvelous and there are tons of little flourishes, like Luigi softly murmuring "I did it!" when he finishes climbing a ladder. It's definitely the most lovable the Mario characters have ever been.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bAdNxuKU_g&t=800s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Whatev posted:

Luigi's Mansion 3 is, in a word, a delight. What really deserves praise is how wonderfully expressive Luigi and his friends are both in cinematics and in-game. It's super polished aesthetically and very cute and funny. The voice work is minimalist (no one ever says more than like, 4 words at once) but the execution is marvelous and there are tons of little flourishes, like Luigi softly murmuring "I did it!" when he finishes climbing a ladder. It's definitely the most lovable the Mario characters have ever been.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bAdNxuKU_g&t=800s

That red-spotted Toad needs his driver's license revoked though :ohdear:.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Unavowed is an old-school point-and-click adventure game where you play a character dealing with occult poo poo in New York. The nice thing about it is that you can die in several ways, but it's impossible to Game Over. If you die or irretrievably gently caress up, the game just fades to white and rewinds a few seconds. No needing to load a save, no "you hosed up, son" message from the game, you're just right back to playing.

For a game where you're going to be compulsively clicking on everything, it's a nice touch. It gives you a lot more moments of "Hmm, this is probably dumb, but what if I...?" And it also means you don't have to save every two minutes to protect against a bullshit death.

Quoting this to say it is a VERY good game, and has both my favorite representation of a "medium" character with the best ghost ever, but also one of the best representations of the Fey Wild I've seen. If you like point and click games this is a must-play. I finished it all in one Sunday afternoon and already want to play it again because the characters in your "party" chat with each other and I will never tire of the ten year old ghost girl asking the Jinn if ______ exists based on her knowledge of fantasy from the mobile game she makes her medium play.
.Example:

"Do unicorns exist?"
"They have been extinct for hundreds of years."
"Aw that's sad."
"We killed them all because they were vicious predators who would gore anything that moves with their horns and eat the remains for fun."
"...oh."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Somehow I knew this had to be a Wadjet Eye game. They've stayed out of the eye of the mainstream, but their games have an excellept reputation.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Hyrule Warriors: One of Ganondorf's strong attacks has him summoning a shadow version of his humongous pig monster form and wiping out enemies with a swing of his giant hand. It's such a crazy move that his actual special attack, a long-range lightning slash with his swords, looks rather quaint by comparison.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

thecluckmeme posted:

Quoting this to say it is a VERY good game, and has both my favorite representation of a "medium" character with the best ghost ever, but also one of the best representations of the Fey Wild I've seen. If you like point and click games this is a must-play. I finished it all in one Sunday afternoon and already want to play it again because the characters in your "party" chat with each other and I will never tire of the ten year old ghost girl asking the Jinn if ______ exists based on her knowledge of fantasy from the mobile game she makes her medium play.
.Example:

"Do unicorns exist?"
"Aw that's sad."
"We killed them all because they were vicious predators who would gore anything that moves with their horns and eat the remains for fun."
"...oh."

Also a game in which my drunken decision to name my character "Adolf Hitler lol" led to some utterly fantastic dialogue due to a late game twist I could never have anticipated

"that's not me in the circle. It's Adolf Hitler lol"

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Supersonic Shine posted:

Hyrule Warriors: One of Ganondorf's strong attacks has him summoning a shadow version of his humongous pig monster form and wiping out enemies with a swing of his giant hand. It's such a crazy move that his actual special attack, a long-range lightning slash with his swords, looks rather quaint by comparison.

I wish I had the patience for HW because the sheer spectacle of it all is QUITE something.
It just got really repetitive and overwhelming.

Now I will return to putting another thousand hours into Warframe.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I'm a simple man at heart. To me, there's nothing like beating the crap out of several enemy officers in a row and picking up goodies after the carnage is done.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yeah, it should be a game really enjoyed but my ADD is kinda bad so if I'm doing something repetitive, it needs to be pretty specific.

Incredible looking game, no doubt.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Danaru posted:

If someone had told me I'd be excited for the chance to pause the game for two minutes and listen to some guy world build for a while, I'd say you were nuts, but god drat Control pulls it off. The acting and use of FMV is phenomenal.

Also I like that they managed to make a shambling swirling mass of blades/rectangles into a friendly presence that I'm happy to see. That's not easy

One of the best FMV bits in Control is how late in the game you get a rambling video from Dr Darling where he's just in his underwear and it turns out he's in surprisingly good shape.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

This is corny and non-specific but I just beat a game* and was reminded of how the "production babies" section in a game's credits is just really charming, to me.

*Assassin's Creed 2, btw, I'm way behind in everything

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
One time I saw one of those with a little cross next to the name. :smith:

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

packetmantis posted:

One time I saw one of those with a little cross next to the name. :smith:

Assassin's Creed 2: bought, never shared.

I'll be over here crying in the corner.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I've been playing games from my backlog, and right now, I'm working through Mad Max.
While cruising around the wasteland, my trusty blackfinger Chumbucket frequently chirps in with local info, or warns against incoming enemy cars.
As I was tearing down the highway (the parts not buried in sand dunes), I spot a Wastelander camped out on the side of the road. I stopped the car, and hopped out to chat.
I don't remember the exact wording of what she said, but it was along the lines of "Enemy camps have been knocked down, War Boys have been beaten back, and you have blood on your knuckles. Surely this is your work?"
Then Chumbucket chirps up from the car "It is! And don't call him Shirley!"

I had a good :lol:

I also enjoy the wide variety of body types and mods you can jam together when building your Magnum Opus car. You could put together a blacked out tribute to Max's V8 Interceptor, or a bright pink and blue armoured tank on wheels that smashes other cars like toys.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In Death Stranding there's these ghost enemies in the game called BTs and they can only be injured/killed by weapons using Sam's (the main character) blood. One of the weapons is a grenade that sprays a cloud of blood when it hits and if you have a regular gun you can shoot through the cloud and hurt a BT that way.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

muscles like this! posted:

In Death Stranding there's these ghost enemies in the game called BTs and they can only be injured/killed by weapons using Sam's (the main character) blood. One of the weapons is a grenade that sprays a cloud of blood when it hits and if you have a regular gun you can shoot through the cloud and hurt a BT that way.

I feel like there's a real potential for crossover in the use of human biomatter between this game and the new Ghostbusters movie.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Pastry of the Year posted:

This is corny and non-specific but I just beat a game* and was reminded of how the "production babies" section in a game's credits is just really charming, to me.

*Assassin's Creed 2, btw, I'm way behind in everything

I always enjoy the "And you" in the Special Thanks section of the credits

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Samuringa posted:

I do too. God drat it I always grin at that.

I'm easy in some ways but there's no bonus points at end-of-life for having been hard-hearted.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I feel like there's a real potential for crossover in the use of human biomatter between this game and the new Ghostbusters movie.

Slime-throwers replaced with jizz-sprayers. Boo? More like BUKAKKE!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

muscles like this! posted:

One of the best FMV bits in Control is how late in the game you get a rambling video from Dr Darling where he's just in his underwear and it turns out he's in surprisingly good shape.

Yeah that surprised me.

I shot the hat off MR X in RE2 and got an achievement for it

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Unavowed is an old-school point-and-click adventure game where you play a character dealing with occult poo poo in New York.

I'm currently doing a let's play of it, in case anyone is interested.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Samuringa posted:

That always catches me by surprise, because I'm so used to that special thanks being dedicated to George Lucas!

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Ring Fit has a skill tree you don't see until level 40, or about 2 weeks of playing reasonably.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Samuringa posted:

I’m always like, “thanks, I am the one who did the real work here”

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Zoig posted:

Ring Fit has a skill tree you don't see until level 40, or about 2 weeks of playing reasonably.

!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Zoig posted:

How long does this take if you have the help of an 80s training montage?

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
Watching a play through of Resident Evil 3 because of the remake announce. Just realized the entire opening segment takes place during the day time. It doesn't turn night until after you leave the police station. The stark contrast of how the street looks heading towards the police station vs heading away from it later was spooky.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Leal posted:

How long does this take if you have the help of an 80s training montage?

Like 4-5 hours, i would guess.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Zoig posted:

I continue to forget about it, too. :/

I love that Ring is fully animated even as he shouts encouragement during battle. If you can see his head on the in-game ring, it moves as he talks.

The outside beyond the window on the title screen gets lighter and darker to match the IRL time of day.

At one point you meet four masters: Allegra (legs), Armando (arms), Abdonis (abs), and Guru Andma (yoga). The first three have clever, if obvious names, but I didn't get "Guru Andma" until I saw her. She's a little old lady. :allears:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

thecluckmeme posted:

.Example:

"Do unicorns exist?"
"Aw that's sad."
"...oh."

To further sell this game, there is a part of the game where you are stuck as a living person in the world of the dead, so you can't interact with objects. Only the ghost can.

Party members are treated as separate objects in your inventory when their abilities are specific enough for you to logic out that they need to interact with something specifically.

You have just played like 3 hours of basic point and click games, where you click on a door to walk through it.

But you're in the land of the dead. Only the ghost can open the door for you.

And she roasts you for forgetting every time. And it is always funny.

There are SO many voice clips, and I made it loop at one point. I still laughed at each one.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

thecluckmeme posted:

To further sell this game, there is a part of the game where you are stuck as a living person in the world of the dead, so you can't interact with objects. Only the ghost can.

Party members are treated as separate objects in your inventory when their abilities are specific enough for you to logic out that they need to interact with something specifically.

You have just played like 3 hours of basic point and click games, where you click on a door to walk through it.

But you're in the land of the dead. Only the ghost can open the door for you.

And she roasts you for forgetting every time. And it is always funny.

There are SO many voice clips, and I made it loop at one point. I still laughed at each one.

I'm a little confused. When you said that you need to be a ghost to interact with objects in the spirit world, I assumed that non-ghosts pass through them like ghosts pass through things in the living world. However, if that's the case, why do you need to open doors at all? Can't you just walk through?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I wasn't sure how the semi-cooperative stuff in Death Stranding would work out, but it's actually really nice. Feels good to show appreciation for useful stuff showing up, and for folks to use the stuff you put in place (not to mention all the dumb jokey signs you can leave around)
:waycool:

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

I wasn't sure how the semi-cooperative stuff in Death Stranding would work out, but it's actually really nice. Feels good to show appreciation for useful stuff showing up, and for folks to use the stuff you put in place (not to mention all the dumb jokey signs you can leave around)
:waycool:

Bouncing the touch pad between my middle finger and thumb, I can give someone almost 700 likes a go. That'll show 'em!

I like the signs, too. The cheerleader one restores stamina, I like to put them on obvious approaches to mountain peaks. The happy babby sign makes BB giggle and aleviates some stress, I put those on obvious descents going back down. No peeing signs around distro centers are super true to life, one of the most disgusting things when I was in the direct-to-store delivery business was backing up to the dock and smelling old-man piss everywhere.

At higher levels of connection with BB (I think, didn't notice until then), the little thing giggles when you pee.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The "no pee" sign really should apply some sort of bladder filling status effect based on how consistently useful it is, I mean people need to be reminded not to pee in all sorts of situations.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

The "no pee" sign really should apply some sort of bladder filling status effect based on how consistently useful it is, I mean people need to be reminded not to pee in all sorts of situations.

*steps out from behind tree, despite being less than 20ft. from my own bathroom*

What was that?

Finding tons of those signs around the hot springs got a guffaw out of me, every time.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

AA3 you cannot show me Baby Prosecutor Edgeworth in one trial and then let me play as regular variety immediately afterwards, this is too much, I'm possibly too charmed right now.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
You play one case as Baby Prosecutor Edgeworth in the first Investigations game so that's a thing to look forward to!

(Featuring Baby-er Franziska as well)

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Ariong posted:

I'm a little confused. When you said that you need to be a ghost to interact with objects in the spirit world, I assumed that non-ghosts pass through them like ghosts pass through things in the living world. However, if that's the case, why do you need to open doors at all? Can't you just walk through?

The ghost creates a little portal to pass through the door. You can touch, but not influence, the environment. So, you can collide with the door, but cannot open it yourself.

It's basically the equivalent of having full confidence you're walking into a Push to Open door and being very, very wrong. :haw:

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Samuringa posted:

(Featuring Baby-er Franziska as well)

I don't think I can take it, I involuntarily swore out loud in delight when she turned up in this case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Werong Bustope posted:

AA3 you cannot show me Baby Prosecutor Edgeworth in one trial and then let me play as regular variety immediately afterwards, this is too much, I'm possibly too charmed right now.

You're not the only one, IIRC it was the popularity of that part in Trials & Tribulations which led to the Investigations games being made in the first place.