Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

Warrant of Fitness? More like Warrant of Fuckedness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Seeing as the location is North shore in gonna guess upper middle class meth enthusiast and/or wealthy failson.

HawkHill
Aug 15, 2015

Combat Theory posted:

It doesn't. The small efficiency advantage of a combination Gas and steam turbine powerplant over a modern combustion engine is more than eaten up by the ample amounts of energy conversion between chemical, electrical and mechanical energy in the well to wheel chain of a non regenerative power EV.

But there's plenty threads on SA about that and there's no need to further.... Pollute... This one.

The analysis from the Union of Concerned Scientists seems support the idea that EVs are more efficient than ICE.

We know that manufacturing EVs with big battery packs is less efficient that manufacturing and equivalent ICE but the lifetime efficiency still seems to be strongly in favor of EVs.

https://blog.ucsusa.org/dave-reichmuth/new-data-show-electric-vehicles-continue-to-get-cleaner

You can use their tool to determine the equivalent MPG based on where you live and your choice of vehicle. For example, even my Model S gets the equivalent of 121 miles per gallon in my part of the US,

https://www.ucsusa.org/resources/how-clean-your-electric-vehicle#z/94121/2019/Tesla/Model%20S%20Long%20Range

Of course California is doing a good job in moving to cleaner electric power generation. But even in the least optimal region of the US, I'd still be getting 42 MPG,

https://www.ucsusa.org/resources/how-clean-your-electric-vehicle#z/53558/2019/Tesla/Model%20S%20Long%20Range

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

They Cybertruck has broken free and been spotted in the wild:

That is a very unflattering look for an already pretty ugly thing.
Also, Goddamn that thing is huge.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I hope at least one person that buys a cybertruck has enough of a sense of humor to cover the doors in plywood vinyl.

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
Because of the way I'm moving into my own house in the country with a big shed in a few days, I've started to look into random repo'd cars as a future project of some kind.

I present to you whatever the gently caress this thing is

https://www.turners.co.nz/Damaged-V...9VGCORq4TFX-e9g

I don't know if that's real filth, or just spraypainted on fake filth. The gas spilled on the cap seems to have burned it off so it might actually be spray paint.

But you can bet your rear end if I had my shed already sorted out I'd be bidding the all of $1k they're asking on this thing and driving all 3000km or so home in it, perhaps periodically checking facebook to see how many pictures of my stupid fuckin car had ended up on it.

then I'd give it a respray in black metallic and sell it for four times as much but yeah

Spades fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Dec 9, 2019

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
Found another one while I was looking round trademe.

Sadly the listing has only those photos because the owner has apparently wisely chosen not to show too much of his craftsmanship off.

-What looks like a stock manifold with the middle-entry, over-the-head intake/TB location welded up
-New intake apparently sawn and welded into the old vacuum line block on the manifold
-Super narrow piping used for said intake for optimal airflow reduction and at an angle which will surely help with the RB engine's propensity to run badly unbalanced cylinder mixtures
-Old PCV apparently now runs to nowhere, poor crank case
-Zero beads rolled on any tubing to ensure surprise boost leaks
-What looks like a 1 inch diameter log manifold header with hard 90 degree bends including the turbocharger flange
-Wastegate vacuum line going somewhere, who knows, probably just rides boost cut all day
-Intake piping with nothing but 90 degree bends
-Dubious throttle body linkage
-Incredibly thin gauge piece of what looks like galvanized Bunnings hardware pipe instead of a crash bar

I want to give the benefit of a doubt that the wastegate is plumbed in and not a screamer pipe but I can already tell the answer

All this for the luxury of $6500, a price which one could actually buy a working car twice over

Seriously it's not a project car when you don't give a gently caress a single inch of the way

Spades fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Dec 9, 2019

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Spades posted:

Found another one while I was looking round trademe.

Wow, this is "I just got a welder and have no self control" epitomised.

Also, you might want to rehost the images so that when TradeMe drops the listing, you don't lose the context of the post. Imgur is still decent if you're on desktop.

Spades
Sep 18, 2011

Memento posted:

Also, you might want to rehost the images so that when TradeMe drops the listing, you don't lose the context of the post. Imgur is still decent if you're on desktop.

Good point, taken care of.

What I don't get is that while those welds aren't great, they're not terrible either - but then the actual metalwork has had zero care or attention paid to it at all.

Like, cramming a bit of sand into a pipe and hitting it with the bender is something you'd want to learn about pretty much as soon as you start doing exhaust work,
let alone doing an entire turbo setup.

I'm guessing there is a dad or friend in the picture who begrudgingly laid the beads.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Come for the fire damage, stay for the 15 year old Escape with 350k on the clock

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Stay for the free refills.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

canyoneer posted:

Come for the fire damage, stay for the 15 year old Escape with 350k on the clock

This reminds me of a lot of cars I see on Facebook marketplace where the sellers don't even try to clean out their vehicles or make them presentable at all.

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

Gunna plaster the back of my cybertruck with magnets holding down drawings my kids make

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

How was that caused? Cigarette or?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

That Works posted:

Heated power seat shorted out? Rolling meth lab? Mechanic who swapped the engine replaced the BCM and didn't ground it correctly? (It's meth)

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Well he just hosed himself. Around here, "Rolling meth lab" is a $1,000 option. He should have listed that as added value and increased his asking price.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

That Works posted:

The package of Swisher Sweets peeking up in the last picture may be a red herring, but probably isn't.

HawkHill
Aug 15, 2015

MattO posted:

Gunna plaster the back of my cybertruck with magnets holding down drawings my kids make

I wonder if that will work,

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-dont-magnets-work-on/

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I'm the new interior for $150

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

taqueso posted:

I'm the new interior for $150

I'll take New Interior for 150, Alex

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

E: nevermind, not the thread for it.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 9, 2019

HawkHill
Aug 15, 2015

Combat Theory posted:

... that site lacks any credible experiment data to back up its claims, is highly politically loaded (which is in itself a death sentence for any credible science resource)...

Yeah, those silly scientists at Argonne National Labs are rolling chicken bones and that darned politically loaded EPA -- how could anyone believe sources like that?

The 40 million of us living in California pull over 50% of our power from renewable sources and we're not stopping there. We're ahead of schedule for being 100% renewable power. This isn't just a California thing. The US grid is getting cleaner faster than ICE engines ever will.

Yes, there are inefficiencies but the long term (>100K mile) real life user data shows that even the nasty old Model S averages around 3 miles per kWh. So yeah, not really a problem. Just like battery life isn't a problem. That particular piece of FUD was put to bed years ago.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Hey friend if you are happy believing what you believe then you do you. And if you believe hard enough a model S will eventually become a good car and a tesla will eventually save the planet. And Elon will definetly take you with him to Mars in his Water tower big steel rocket.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 9, 2019

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Combat Theory posted:

Hey friend if you are happy believing what you believe then you do you. And if you believe hard enough a model S will eventually become a good car and a tesla will eventually save the planet. And Elon will definetly take you with him to Mars in his Water tower big steel rocket.

Get out of here with this lazy strawman

ili
Jul 26, 2003

This terrible stuff about terrible cars isn't the right type of terrible car stuff you spanners.

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
fixing the fuckin thread

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/nissan/auction-2423250396.htm?rsqid=3d5beb3209f146968214215295573d5e-005

rice, rotas, and lovely seats in a family car trim with four doors, and nismo stickers which nismo isn't what you think it is you autismo

$23,000

the price that one can also pay if they want to buy a 500HP AMG Mercedes, which given what Skylines are treated like in NZ, will also be somehow more reliable

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
Which reminds me, part of the skyline price ascent comes as NZ is exported a whole bunch of them to Americans who are buying in on the idea they're some kind of supercar, yet even the GTR doesn't hold up anymore - it's kind of like how the average Civic SI is now faster around a track or strip than a Lamborghini Countach

I haven't bothered to look it up, but I think out there there's plenty of 30-something year olds who watched Fast and the Furious finally getting their ~JDM Supercar~ only to get absolutely moidolated in a street race with Toyota Avalon driven by a half blind boomer

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's a pretty straightforward recreation of the same phenomenon that makes even mediocre Australian and American cars from the 70's worth stupid money, except it's nostalgic gen z/millennial dads instead of punishing baby boomers this time.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

"There's no replacement for displacement" was overheard shortly before area man failed to stop in time, hitting a retaining wall hundreds of feet away.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That Works posted:

"There's no replacement for displacement" was overheard shortly before area man failed to stop in time, hitting a retaining wall hundreds of feet away.

Is there an equivalent to NRFD but with dumb turbo/vtec/rotary bullshit instead?

Spades
Sep 18, 2011

Slavvy posted:

Is there an equivalent to NRFD but with dumb turbo/vtec/rotary bullshit instead?

In NZ this is just car culture in general

The level of insecurity in car people over here is something to behold, with every dipshit basically claiming their car's engine is perfect and everyone else's is garbage

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

HawkHill posted:

The 40 million of us living in California pull over 50% of our power from renewable sources and we're not stopping there. We're ahead of schedule for being 100% renewable power. This isn't just a California thing. The US grid is getting cleaner faster than ICE engines ever will.

lmao this is not accurate at all. Occasionally we get 50% of our power from renewables when solar peaks mid-day in the summer, but our power usage peaks when people get home from work and the sun goes down. Also, we're not going to hit 100% renewable by 2045, nor does that really matter.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

MomJeans420 posted:

lmao this is not accurate at all. Occasionally we get 50% of our power from renewables when solar peaks mid-day in the summer, but our power usage peaks when people get home from work and the sun goes down. Also, we're not going to hit 100% renewable by 2045, nor does that really matter.

Shhhh...when CA states something, it becomes fact.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Slavvy posted:

If it ain't a rotor it ain't a motor? I saw some bloke had this as a tattoo in one of the hot4s mags back in the 90s.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Spades posted:

In NZ this is just car culture in general

The level of insecurity in car people over here is something to behold, with every dipshit basically claiming their car's engine is perfect and everyone else's is garbage

I know, I was asking because I live here too and it's difficult to put across to people who haven't been here :negative:

HawkHill
Aug 15, 2015

MomJeans420 posted:

California Energy Commission says that in 2018 over 1/3 of total energy sales were from renewables. So yeah, maybe the last press release of 50% wasn't accurate but it's nothing to laugh at. Even if we're not at 50% now there's no reason to think that we won't be there in a few years. And then 80% and then 100%.

80% seems totally doable but 100% is going to be a real challenge -- not for generation that's the 'easy' part. Storage for off-peak generation hours, yeah that's not so easy.

Sure my Model S is far from the most efficient vehicle out there. But that's not the point. What's better, me driving an EV LuxoBarge or me driving an ICE LuxoBarge?

I don't care if the Model is half as efficient as the science kids claim. Or one third, or one quarter. It's still better than 20 MPG from an ICE machine.

Edit...

Hmmm, the claim here is,

https://www.gov.ca.gov/2019/08/12/g...-economy-grows/

"The data also shows that for the first time since California started to track GHG emissions, the state power grid used more energy from zero-GHG sources like solar and wind power than from electrical generation powered by fossil fuels."

So they're claiming total electrical energy consumption over the course of the year.

HawkHill fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 10, 2019

Spades
Sep 18, 2011

Slavvy posted:

I know, I was asking because I live here too and it's difficult to put across to people who haven't been here :negative:

I don't think we've got any one boomer jargon slang but we're highly evolved in the field of having dumb poo poo per brand or type of car:

-Those "loading boost" stickers on riced turbocharged cars (advertising your turbo setup sucks, I guess?)
-"Suck my DOHC" on various cars, I guess cool your car has a twin cam engine just like a base model Corolla?
-Arr loving Bee Nissan people, who have all done at least 270kmhr in their cars and all are just a turbo and a tune away from 800hp
-"Diamonds are forever" for Evolutions
-Whatever tagline subaru people made up in response to that
-Rotary people with the whole "brap brap brap" thing (Also obsessed with putting a straight piped 12A into a car that already makes more than the like 80hp those engines make)
-Non-Mazda cars covered in "zoom zoom" and "mazdaspeed" stuff, typically with a matte black hood, straight pipe exhaust and devil horns on the Mazda logo (is this the new EG civic hatch?)
-Barra/Australian Ford people, who seem to have a complex about Ford V8s (Read: Butthurt the the Coyote is a far more robust engine)
-VH41 people (either swapped or just Fuga owners), who always constantly seem to have "gently caress your LS" window stickers (Read: Their engine swap makes 250hp after 10k in mods)
-1uze people, who have the same complex about LS engines (Read: Their engine makes 220hp and sounds like a lawn tractor)

A lot of the culture over seems to just be about contempt towards well made and powerful engines/cars from the US/Europe, and the 'thing to do' is to have the cheapest and shittiest car possible and try to make it make at least 300kw but only on the dyno. Good build sheets - using non BC Gold coilovers, non-rep brand wheels, tires that fit, a turbo that doesn't lag, functional aerodynamics or a non-rattlecan paint job - are considered to be pretentious and usually labelled as 'gay as'.

Basically being a car person in NZ is kind of like living the Idiocracy movie

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Spades posted:

Which reminds me, part of the skyline price ascent comes as NZ is exported a whole bunch of them to Americans who are buying in on the idea they're some kind of supercar, yet even the GTR doesn't hold up anymore - it's kind of like how the average Civic SI is now faster around a track or strip than a Lamborghini Countach

I haven't bothered to look it up, but I think out there there's plenty of 30-something year olds who watched Fast and the Furious finally getting their ~JDM Supercar~ only to get absolutely moidolated in a street race with Toyota Avalon driven by a half blind boomer

I don’t think exports to the US could possibly have been a significant factor - that will have been such a small number that won’t have made a dent. It’s really down to a combination of natural attrition (90s Nissan’s rust worse than 80s Honda’s) and idiot owners modifying and/or crashing the rest of them.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Spades posted:

I don't think we've got any one boomer jargon slang but we're highly evolved in the field of having dumb poo poo per brand or type of car:
<snip>

There is a guy down the road from me with a lifted and very rusty old Patrol SWB who seems to take great pleasure in covering my Leaf in soot.

Of course it has a ‘Losers drive Cruisers’ banner across the windscreen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

HawkHill posted:

Edit...

Hmmm, the claim here is,

https://www.gov.ca.gov/2019/08/12/g...-economy-grows/

"The data also shows that for the first time since California started to track GHG emissions, the state power grid used more energy from zero-GHG sources like solar and wind power than from electrical generation powered by fossil fuels."

So they're claiming total electrical energy consumption over the course of the year.

I'd bet dollars to donuts that counts the massive amount of hydro CA imports from WA via the HVDC intertie, and the giant array of Nuclear plants in AZ that pretty much exist to serve California, and last year set records for snow pack in WA, so that means mega cheap GHG free power, 20 years from now WA will be lucky to meet our own power needs with hydro, according to the projections.

Progress is progress though, apparently CA's decree that no one sell them power from coal plants, as silly as such a thing is, is forcing coal plants in the midwest to close down or convert to nat gas, which is net good, seeing how coal literally murders people. Maybe if the all the CA libs would pull their heads outta their asses and start building nuclear plants they could get to 100% GHG free in a decade, but alas...

And your base point is solid, EVs are generally more efficient in kgCO2/mile no matter what the power generation mix is, tons of studies about it out there,, and EV adoption related increases in demand on the grid are pretty minor for now.

This is a weird thread to talk about my favorite topic in.

E: I do love the "energy from zero-GHG sources like solar and wind power than from electrical generation powered by fossil fuels." As a blatant attempt to imply that solar and wind are a majority on their own and skew the narrative away from evil nuclear and hydro power, to CA will be a solar-powered paradise in a few years.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Dec 10, 2019