Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
i gave a pity vote to dr zaius

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

https://twitter.com/redsox4evur_os/status/1204266987351891968

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

No one focused on Bill Watts' most awful crime, pushing his god awful son.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)

MassRafTer posted:

Each wrestlers tweets should be in one thread in the replies so they should all be in one place, not sure why they wouldn't be. There's some background on the podcasts posted in the OP and if you look for Bix's replies he has stories with additional material for a good number of the entrants involved. Although some like the Thunderbolt Patterson doc contain background on multiple people like Taylor, Russo and Bischoff.

Ah yep, you're spot on. I didn't realise that each tweet included the stories, so I'm now going back through each one and diving deep! Thank you for putting all this on, I'm really enjoying it.

Is the podcast in the OP a wrestling history show, or something? Or does something like that exist elsewhere?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Figured this thread could appreciate one of the worst mashup t-shirts I've ever seen.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

TheKingslayer posted:

Figured this thread could appreciate one of the worst mashup t-shirts I've ever seen.

Imagine Warrior giving his opinion on Wu Tang Clan

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
He probably thought it was something to gently caress with.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Tongues posted:

Ah yep, you're spot on. I didn't realise that each tweet included the stories, so I'm now going back through each one and diving deep! Thank you for putting all this on, I'm really enjoying it.

Is the podcast in the OP a wrestling history show, or something? Or does something like that exist elsewhere?

Thanks! It's a wrestling history show/Hulk Hogan memoir book club. But we'll be back to doing history soon.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Thanks! It's a wrestling history show/Hulk Hogan memoir book club. But we'll be back to doing history soon.

Are you gonna do AWA stuff? It feels like covering them is somewhat untapped. And it ties into covering Hogan.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Dec 10, 2019

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Are you gonna do AWA stuff? It feels like covering them is somewhat untapped. And it ties into covering Hogan.

Everyone who listened to the last show knows what we are doing!

The life and times of Jesus Christ. Wait that's another podcast.

The Life and Times of Vince McMahon.

Burning Beard
Nov 21, 2008

Choking on bits of fallen bread crumbs
Oh, this burning beard, I have come undone
It's just as I've feared. I have, I have come undone
Bugger dumb the last of academe

I read through the entire thread and saw my old friend Chris Lewis mentioned. I can 100% assure you that he is real and is somewhere in Kentucky running charity "celebrity" signings. He was in a PhD program with me and had previously been in NASCAR promotional work. He did some Sci-Fi Conventions that he apparently lost money on, filed bankruptcy and moved. His involvement with Warrior was hilarious. He helped bring Warrior on campus for one of his batshit insane talks where he ranted and raved about liberals and democrats. Based off this, Warrior hired Chris and let him choose his own title. To my knowledge, Warrior never, ever paid him a cent. Warrior also would not sign any picture of him in his ring gear.

Oh, but it gets better. Chris told me that in his time working for Warrior he would get orders to put out press releases and got to deal with Jakks over the Warrior action figures. Warrior was very much a pain in the rear end to Jakks but they kept at it because they figured it would be a good seller. I remember him discussing the whole Something Awful debacle. He was adamant about taking down Lowtax. I let him know that he was probably in waaaay over his head. I know he got some guy fired from his job but in turn somebody somehow remotely logged on to his lap top and wiped it. He had big plans to sue SA and Lowtax but it never panned out, obviously. Oh, and Drew Curtis from Fark called him after Chris's phone number was posted.

Warrior apparently kept a warehouse chock full of Warrior merchandise. That insane BDSM Santa comic? Warrior bought all the unsold copies up and warehoused them, convinced they'd be worth some serious cash in the future. He also pushed Jakks into giving him a large number of action figures for free for the same reason.

About a month after the whole SA incident Warrior called him and yelled at him about something and Lewis quit. Two months after that Warrior sent Lewis a package with exclusive Warrior action figures and a request to work for him again.

That time period (2007-2008) was a seriously weird time in my life and seeing this poo poo happen in real time just made it weirder.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Burning Beard posted:

I read through the entire thread and saw my old friend Chris Lewis mentioned. I can 100% assure you that he is real and is somewhere in Kentucky running charity "celebrity" signings. He was in a PhD program with me and had previously been in NASCAR promotional work. He did some Sci-Fi Conventions that he apparently lost money on, filed bankruptcy and moved. His involvement with Warrior was hilarious. He helped bring Warrior on campus for one of his batshit insane talks where he ranted and raved about liberals and democrats. Based off this, Warrior hired Chris and let him choose his own title. To my knowledge, Warrior never, ever paid him a cent. Warrior also would not sign any picture of him in his ring gear.

Oh, but it gets better. Chris told me that in his time working for Warrior he would get orders to put out press releases and got to deal with Jakks over the Warrior action figures. Warrior was very much a pain in the rear end to Jakks but they kept at it because they figured it would be a good seller. I remember him discussing the whole Something Awful debacle. He was adamant about taking down Lowtax. I let him know that he was probably in waaaay over his head. I know he got some guy fired from his job but in turn somebody somehow remotely logged on to his lap top and wiped it. He had big plans to sue SA and Lowtax but it never panned out, obviously. Oh, and Drew Curtis from Fark called him after Chris's phone number was posted.

Warrior apparently kept a warehouse chock full of Warrior merchandise. That insane BDSM Santa comic? Warrior bought all the unsold copies up and warehoused them, convinced they'd be worth some serious cash in the future. He also pushed Jakks into giving him a large number of action figures for free for the same reason.

About a month after the whole SA incident Warrior called him and yelled at him about something and Lewis quit. Two months after that Warrior sent Lewis a package with exclusive Warrior action figures and a request to work for him again.

That time period (2007-2008) was a seriously weird time in my life and seeing this poo poo happen in real time just made it weirder.

Now this is the kind of poo poo I run this dumb tournament for.

Visual Basic Bitch
Sep 4, 2019
Hold up - there was an SA incident with Warrior?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Visual Basic Bitch posted:

Hold up - there was an SA incident with Warrior?

He threatened to sue when his site was featured as an Awful Link of the Day like fifteen years ago.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

MassRafTer posted:

Now this is the kind of poo poo I run this dumb tournament for.

um, excuse me. redsox4evur_os already established that the tournament is run by someone named HPJoker.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Pope Corky the IX posted:

He threatened to sue when his site was featured as an Awful Link of the Day like fifteen years ago.

It was more a series of increasingly ranty emails that Lowtax egged on. I don't remember them actually hitting the courts.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Which is why I said "threatened to sue"

Burning Beard
Nov 21, 2008

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Which is why I said "threatened to sue"

Yeah, Warrior and Chris talked a big game about litigation but never did anything.

The main method that Lewis used was calling parents and goon workplaces. He did succeed in getting one guy fired that I know of. He bragged to me about talking to Lowtax's dad, which I thought was pretty funny. I mean, I told him that I don't think Lowtax really would care. The Drew Curtis call he received still makes me smile. Oh yeah, he had to change his phone number the next day because of all the pranks.

Did you guys know that Warrior ran a fitness/training company? You paid some money per month to get advice and guides from Warrior himself. Complete waste of money as Warrior barely put any effort into it. But great goddamn, it was NOT cheap. Like $100/month or something for some lazy info and supposedly a phone call nobody ever got

I have other stories but most of them would probably be not really related to Warrior. Like the time Chris tried to book a wrestling show at the Georgia Dome complete with Hulk Hogan and Harley motorcycles to give away to various wrestlers. Where the money was supposed to come from I have no idea. Probably cash advances on credit cards, which he did alot. Or the time he got sued by some scummy autograph outfit in Las Vegas for supposedly ripping them off for Billy Dee Williams autographs. Last I heard from him he was putting together a Dukes of Hazzard themed charity event a few years back that never happened. He did hire Matt Hardy to sign autographs at a show a in 2005 or 2006 that ended up and lost 5,000 dollars. Matt had just left WWE over the whole Edge feud and needed the money. Matt was really popular with women who frequent Wal-Mart.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Burning Beard posted:

Did you guys know that Warrior ran a fitness/training company? You paid some money per month to get advice and guides from Warrior himself. Complete waste of money as Warrior barely put any effort into it. But great goddamn, it was NOT cheap. Like $100/month or something for some lazy info and supposedly a phone call nobody ever got

"Ok, first shoot yourself up with a poo poo load of steroids. Like, a lot! RAAAARRRAAGGHHHH WARRIORS!"

Edit: SA vs Ultimate Warrior for the pleasure of those that haven't seen it.

https://www.somethingawful.com/legal-threats/legal-threat-ultimate/1/

TheKingslayer fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 10, 2019

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/NY64Tournament/status/1204459688198316032

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I hope Michael Hayes chokes to death on his own cum after a self sucking session gone wrong.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
My favorite aspect of Warrior vs SA is him not realizing that SA's representation was bogus despite the firm being called Something Lawful

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Burning Beard posted:

Yeah, Warrior and Chris talked a big game about litigation but never did anything.

The main method that Lewis used was calling parents and goon workplaces. He did succeed in getting one guy fired that I know of. He bragged to me about talking to Lowtax's dad, which I thought was pretty funny. I mean, I told him that I don't think Lowtax really would care. The Drew Curtis call he received still makes me smile. Oh yeah, he had to change his phone number the next day because of all the pranks.

I have other stories but most of them would probably be not really related to Warrior. Like the time Chris tried to book a wrestling show at the Georgia Dome complete with Hulk Hogan and Harley motorcycles to give away to various wrestlers. Where the money was supposed to come from I have no idea. Probably cash advances on credit cards, which he did alot. Or the time he got sued by some scummy autograph outfit in Las Vegas for supposedly ripping them off for Billy Dee Williams autographs. Last I heard from him he was putting together a Dukes of Hazzard themed charity event a few years back that never happened. He did hire Matt Hardy to sign autographs at a show a in 2005 or 2006 that ended up and lost 5,000 dollars. Matt had just left WWE over the whole Edge feud and needed the money. Matt was really popular with women who frequent Wal-Mart.

Warrior University right? The youtube videos for that were (expectedly) mental. Would love to know more about it.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

My favorite aspect of Warrior vs SA is him not realizing that SA's representation was bogus despite the firm being called Something Lawful

I like the part where they poo poo talk Lowtax for looking weak but I bet Warrior's lame rear end wouldn't step foot in the ring with Uwe Boll.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

TheKingslayer posted:

I like the part where they poo poo talk Lowtax for looking weak but I bet Warrior's lame rear end wouldn't step foot in the ring with Uwe Boll.

Warrior would do it and promptly get KTFO

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

if Uwe Boll ended up killing Warrior, I'd forgive him for Bloodrayne and Alone In The Dark.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
Thank you. These posts are awesome.

Burning Beard posted:

The Jakks thing is less weird/insane/dumb, because he did make a deal for Jakks to make a bunch of super limited figures for him as part of their deal. So the really limited ones—I think one was limited to just five of the one design?—can go for serious money.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

davidbix posted:

Thank you. These posts are awesome.

The Jakks thing is less weird/insane/dumb, because he did make a deal for Jakks to make a bunch of super limited figures for him as part of their deal. So the really limited ones—I think one was limited to just five of the one design?—can go for serious money.

I have serious questions about anyone spending more than $5 on a Warrior figure.

Burning Beard
Nov 21, 2008

TheKingslayer posted:

"Ok, first shoot yourself up with a poo poo load of steroids. Like, a lot! RAAAARRRAAGGHHHH WARRIORS!"

Edit: SA vs Ultimate Warrior for the pleasure of those that haven't seen it.

https://www.somethingawful.com/legal-threats/legal-threat-ultimate/1/

Oh, man, thanks for the link. Brings back the memories! After re-reading all these I do remember Chris bragging about all the information he found on Lowtax. He was always one with the whole macho "I'm gonna kick your rear end" thing and I remember him bragging to me about how he could kick Lowtax's rear end. He seriously thought he was Sherlock Holmes after finding all that. The last email ends abruptly for a reason; he was getting hosed by goons both on his phone and the wiping of his laptop. Lost a significant amount of school work. If anybody can find the actual thread, I would love to re-read it.

The only things I remember about Warrior University (thanks for the name!) was people complaining about the lack of videos and the ranting rather than actual advice. I think it went dark a few months after the SA incident.

Yeah, the special Warrior action figures were insane. He had patriotic version, a 12" version and one or two other exclusives. I know he gave Chris one of the rare "patriotic" variants trying to get him back.

Chris is still around. Bubba Fest is either owned by him or he works for them last I heard. It's a Comic convention in Knoxville. He's one of those paranoid people who is constantly changing his phone number and using social media under different names so I have long ago lost contact with him. He really likes working with "C" grade celebrities, which Warrior most definitely was at the time this all went down.

Unfortunately that's about all I remember from this. I thought it was absolutely hilarious on how it blew up. Fark had posted a article about it and that's how I found the original thread and signed up for SA under an old user name.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

coconono posted:

I have serious questions about anyone spending more than $5 on a Warrior figure.

i feel like there's a pretty wide cross-section of wrestling fans who just do not pay any remote amount of attention to what wrestlers are like behind-the-scenes, unless it gets directly shoved in their face

it makes perfect sense that they'd be buying Warrior figures, given if you don't know what a shitbag he was you probably just know him as "super iconic 80s wrestler with cool facepaint and incomprehensible promos," and that sort of thing is specifically why the NY64 is so important

Burning Beard
Nov 21, 2008

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i feel like there's a pretty wide cross-section of wrestling fans who just do not pay any remote amount of attention to what wrestlers are like behind-the-scenes, unless it gets directly shoved in their face

it makes perfect sense that they'd be buying Warrior figures, given if you don't know what a shitbag he was you probably just know him as "super iconic 80s wrestler with cool facepaint and incomprehensible promos," and that sort of thing is specifically why the NY64 is so important

At the same time I was friends with Chris Lewis I worked at Toys R Us. There was a cross section of collectors. Star Wars collectors were either scalpers or hardcore and generally OK. Transformers collectors were nice and polite when asking about new shipments. Hot Wheels collectors where smelly old men who would accuse us of hoarding the "good" cars in the back. The wrestling figure collectors though... holy poo poo. They would call and ask which new figures where on the shelves in nearly indecipherable southern accents. Or they would come in and force us to look for the new figures they imagined that we had stocked since yesterday. They were the worst, by far. That famous meme of the guy saying "it's still real to me"? Yeah, he fits the mold perfectly.

Now, don't get me wrong, I like the occasional figure. I'd kill for a Ole Anderson 4 Horsemen set. I have Ric Flair hanging on my nerd/dork wall as I type this. But holy poo poo some of those "collectors"? No way.

I do remember when Beniot did the murders and the very next day all his figures were sold out. TRU was an eye opener in some ways.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Burning Beard posted:

I do remember when Beniot did the murders and the very next day all his figures were sold out.

I remember my father asking if I had any Benoit figures right after it happened (I was twenty-four at the time) because he wanted to sell them on eBay. He also still has a box of Princess Diana Beanie Babies and a couple issues of the Death of Superman, to give you an idea of his expertise.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
lmao capitalism rules

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

coconono posted:

In an era of people spending thousands on jpegs of space ships an actual collector's edition physical warrior figure just feels... somehow refreshing in its earnest shittiness

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I know that Brodus Clay/Tyrus doesn't even probably rank in the NY128, but I also didn't know where else to post this

Funk is on a roll... into court

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Edge & Christian posted:

I know that Brodus Clay/Tyrus doesn't even probably rank in the NY128, but I also didn't know where else to post this

Funk is on a roll... into court

Eh, he's a talking head for a network devoted to promoting evil. He could easily make it in.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/NY64Tournament/status/1204571101461991424?s=19

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Until more actual real evidence comes out (which probably will given how much Teddy is a creep) this is easily Invader's for "self defense" against Brody

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Legitimately flipped a coin on this one and still got Invader so there it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I don't know the Teddy Hart stuff besides him being a dipshit on the indies back in the day. I don't see any tweets outlining the Teddy Hart stuff. I'm just gonna vote for the murderer I guess.