Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Nor obstruction of justice re: Mueller apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Phil Moscowitz posted:

That's bullshit.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

i can understand mueller because of the politics (lol) but obstruction should be one.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i can understand mueller because of the politics (lol) but obstruction should be one.

I guess obstruction of Congress is it. Could it be Obstruction of Justice because it wasn't a criminal proceeding? I don't know how that works.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I guess obstruction of Congress is it. Could it be Obstruction of Justice because it wasn't a criminal proceeding? I don't know how that works.

i mean like i said, i doubt it will lead to conviction no matter what but my guess is they are trying to hit with stuff that will stick and doesnt muddy the water.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
a few reporters have said they're actually mulling OOJ still, but 2 are definite.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Obstruction of Congress is the refusal to comply with subpoenas from the House. Obstruction of justice would be all the poo poo Trump did to shut down the Mueller investigation, starting with firing Comey.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
it's gonna die in the senate no matter what I'm actually not sure why they didn't at least try to symbolically make up for the years of inaction by including poo poo like the border crimes and his outright support of war crimes and all. Why not go for broke if this is all about the morality of the nation

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

it's gonna die in the senate no matter what I'm actually not sure why they didn't at least try to symbolically make up for the years of inaction by including poo poo like the border crimes and his outright support of war crimes and all. Why not go for broke if this is all about the morality of the nation

because theoretically that makes it alot easier for the GOP to twist their justifications and get way with it. with it being focused, they are having a harder time. i am not disagreeing with you mind you. i am just assuming thats the rational.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

sexpig by night posted:

All that takes testimony to get the evidence into the record and then debate as to whether the behavior merits impeachment, which means more time that they don't have.

They've got two solid articles that are thoroughly valid and well-documented despite Trump's best efforts. If the Republicans are going to acquit no matter what, it doesn't matter how many articles there are. If they're going to convict, it only takes one.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

They’ll impeach him for everything and the kitchen sink if he somehow gets re-elected and they keep the majority.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

sexpig by night posted:

Because then they'd have to investigate themselves.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

sexpig by night posted:

americans are dumb as hell about understanding why an obvious mafia style shakedown is bad. So why in the world would the dems throw in something like the border camps, which would not only give the GOP a chance to muddy the waters, but also force the "good" half of the nation to think long and hard about how actually Obama really was bad too?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

oxsnard posted:

americans are dumb as hell about understanding why an obvious mafia style shakedown is bad. So why in the world would the dems throw in something like the border camps, which would not only give the GOP a chance to muddy the waters, but also force the "good" half of the nation to think long and hard about how actually Obama really was bad too?

this. as much as trump and ice should go to the hague for it, they are never gonna use that as an impeachment thing. plus the camps are way to big a horror for just an impeachment thing. that poo poo needs actual truth and reconciliation committees and systemic changes to happen.

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...

refleks posted:

Oh good. Starting out early with bullshit republican talking points

I know I'm quoting from many, many pages back... but oh, the sights you have yet to see...

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Phil Moscowitz posted:

They’ll impeach him for everything and the kitchen sink if he somehow gets re-elected and they keep the majority.

No they won't, if/when this fails and if he gets re-elected they won't impeach again. It almost took a gun to Pelosi's head to get the process started this time around.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

This is all I can see whenever Gaetz starts making GBS threads himself on camera.

Acute Grill fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Dec 10, 2019

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...
It's astonishing how bad Gaetz really is. Like, it almost makes no sense that someone that relentlessly gormless could have the position he has. Wonder what he thought of #GaetzIsATool trending at the top of Twitter half of the day...

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
They're idiots if they want the words "Obstruction of Congress" plastered everywhere instead of "Obstruction of Justice" jesus the first one sounds made up, nobody's ever heard that before

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

eke out posted:

what the gently caress is he wearing

LtStorm posted:

Yeah, I want to know what that button is.
The 116th congress got their badges a couple of weeks ago...

... they all get one

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Dec 10, 2019

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Lemming posted:

They're idiots if they want the words "Obstruction of Congress" plastered everywhere instead of "Obstruction of Justice" jesus the first one sounds made up, nobody's ever heard that before

Wasn't that one of the charges that they hit Nixon with?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean like i said, i doubt it will lead to conviction no matter what but my guess is they are trying to hit with stuff that will stick and doesnt muddy the water.

Everything sticks and Republicans are always going to muddy the water.

If there was any chance of democrats doing this again in three months with another set of impeachable offenses I wouldn't mind this path, but they're not going to keep banging the corruption drum. But the selection of articles make it political rather than legal or moral. It's articles of impeachment that are about the democrats not liking Trump, rather than Trump being a criminal. This is the end result of a congress that was only willing to impeach because Trump started messing with democrats and were happy to just squawk and do nothing about the rest of his crimes.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Obstruction of Justice will NOT be one of the articles of impeachment, per multiple sources.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Wait... Pelosi... bad?

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
the good news is that impeachment, even one article, forces republicans to choose whether they side with trump, which could prove to be a mistake if some new corruption shows up. We've got finances to look forward to in the coming months. The bad news is that dropping OOJ allows him to be able to be pardoned for this

edit: whoops, that op-ed posted a few weeks ago was wrong: https://lawandcrime.com/legal-analy...rce=mostpopular

oxsnard fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Dec 10, 2019

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
I don't understand how any Democrat, even the moderate ones, look at the Mueller Report, sees the OOJ laid out, and says "nah."

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Obstruction of Justice will NOT be one of the articles of impeachment, per multiple sources.

Obstruction of Congress will be, however, and that serves the same purpose.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Live stream of the presser if anyone wants it. It will start any minute.

https://youtu.be/JDhWfqQ1o98

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I'm prefatorily furious

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

I don't understand how any Democrat, even the moderate ones, look at the Mueller Report, sees the OOJ laid out, and says "nah."

i think the argument is that ooj is tougher because you have to debate the intricacies of executive power and privilege, whereas the powers granted to congress are more concrete in the constitution

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

oxsnard posted:

i think the argument is that ooj is tougher because you have to debate the intricacies of executive power and privilege, whereas the powers granted to congress are more concrete in the constitution

Yeah, they're sticking to the ones that are obvious and clear with plenty of direct evidence and for which there is no defense whatever on the facts of the matter. They don't want to give Republicans a chance to lose everyone in the weeds with gray areas.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah, they're sticking to the ones that are obvious and clear with plenty of direct evidence and for which there is no defense whatever on the facts of the matter. They don't want to give Republicans a chance to lose everyone in the weeds with gray areas.

And when Lindsey Graham votes to acquit anyway, even in the face of such a slam-dunk case, then what?

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

mdemone posted:

And when Lindsey Graham votes to acquit anyway, even in the face of such a slam-dunk case, then what?

Revolution?

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Looking at it as an outsider, I can see why ultimately it might be more effective not to drag in the Mueller report again. People were already getting tired of the whole thing before it got released, then it got released and - while incredibly damning to anyone with an objective view - failed to deliver the PR blow that could've potentially swung enough voters around to support impeachment. The Democrats failed to capitalise or even to actually act on the report at the time of its release, and trying to do so now would probably reinforce the Republicans' argument (poor and irrelevant though it is) that the Democrats merely want Trump gone and are grasping at straws to accomplish that goal. Furthermore, it's a foregone conclusion that the Republicans would scream at the top of their lungs that the Mueller report wasn't discussed in these impeachment hearings, and repeat ad nauseum that Trump is basically being tried twice for the same alleged crime/misconduct. The Republicans have barely been able to formulate a comeback to the whole Ukraine affair, it's probably better not to give them any new ammunition or chance to create a substantive distraction. And if even the highly compelling evidence produced and legal analyses we've seen over the past weeks have not sufficed to pump up support for impeachment among the populace, and the Republicans are completely insensitive to any logical argument against Trump, why would bringing back the old charges from the Mueller investigation make any positive difference? I understand how it might matter symbolically, but, well, you know. Trump being deposed is a pipe dream at this point, so it seems to me the best the Democrats can hope for is that driving home a very simple point will at least persuade enough voters that the Republicans cannot justifiably let Trump off the hook and that this will make the difference in the 2020 (and maybe even the midterm) elections.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

mdemone posted:

Lindsey Graham isn't who we're trying to convince.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Obstruction of Congress will be, however, and that serves the same purpose.

Yeah, and 'obstruction of congress' has more of a subtle dig to it in that it makes any member of congress have to side with Trump more explicitly vs. being able to muddy arguments with a nebulous concept of justice. It makes the question "You're a member of Congress, did the White House give you all the information your body requested" inarguable, instead of "Did the President do an arguably bad thing, maybe, based on your opinion of what is just?"

They know that it'll die in the Senate, so they're make every part of the charges as weaponized as possible to drag the bastards in the future.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Lindsey Graham isn't who we're trying to convince.

That wasn't my point. They're choosing articles of impeachment based on which ones they can most easily demonstrate. When the jury disagrees, who have you convinced?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

mdemone posted:

That wasn't my point. They're choosing articles of impeachment based on which ones they can most easily demonstrate. When the jury disagrees, who have you convinced?

Hopefully the electorate.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

mdemone posted:

Hopefully the American people who will nullify the jury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Maybe two GOP senators, maybe three will lose their jobs over this. It might be enough to take the Senate, I guess that's the best-case scenario.